BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

01-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
European Delivery experience (Dec 2012)

European Delivery is not something to miss, if you can at all swing it. Since most of the info here about ED seems to be a bit out of date, I thought I'd share some experiences. Maybe others would like to add their own experiences as well?

Flying there from the US

Even though Lufthansa doesn't offer its 2-for-1 deals anymore, it's a trip worth making. However, without any sweet deals coming from Lufthansa, I recommend comparing flights from other airlines.

The Lufthansa coach seats for overseas flights are actually smaller than coach on US flights. Even the commuter flight from Frankfurt to Munich offered more in legroom and elbow room than the trans-Atlantic flight! Lufthansa isn't big on upgrades, either. Don't expect any special deals for last-minute upgrades, because there aren't any. You will pay full boat to upgrade. And you will notice that the Business Class section on their flights is usually quite empty, so they don't seem to be very interested in filling in Business Class by offering any bargains.

Flying coach was miserable. The flight attendants were nice enough, but overworked, with far too many passengers to take care of. The food was nothing special.

To be honest, I've had better experiences flying to Europe on United, even in coach. And there are many airlines that can get you to Germany.

Word to the wise: If you do intend to fly Lufthansa and want to use your miles from a Star Alliance airline like United to upgrade, be sure to order your voucher from your airline well in advance. You need a printed voucher to get your miles to apply on a Lufthansa flight.

Hotel

For hotels, my recommendation is to research online using a service like Expedia or Orbitz to see what the various places are like, and choose one that's to your taste and in an area walking distance from shopping and restaurants. Hotels in Munich range from elegant to kitchy to white-bread American. I stayed at the Charles, which is fabulous but perhaps a bit pricey for some. It's also very understated.

On the other hand, if you like more glitz and gloss for the price, somewhere else like Hotel Königshof might be preferable. But again, whichever hotel you choose, I do recommend finding one in a walking neighborhood with restaurants close by. Anywhere within a mile or so of Marienplatz will do well for you. Walking around town to your meals and shopping is a great way to see the city, and get away from hotel fare.

Which takes us to....

Food ... and Beer!

There are a lot of terrific restaurants around, especially if you like German food. I recommend trying the Schweinsbraten (pork roast) at the German-fare restaurants. They'll all have it -- it's traditional cuisine! I found a number of good places, including Zum Augustiner, which is a touristy choice that still has strong appeal to the locals. Ask your hotel concierge for recommendations, though.

If you like beer at all, you must take time to enjoy German beers. I can particularly recommend "Helles", which is what they call their lager. It's much more flavorful and smoother than any lager you can get in the US, especially out of the bottles. (As for bottled versions in the States, the Hofbräu bottled beer is probably the closest to what you get on draft in Munich.)

If you're flying in, do go to Airbräu Brauhaus at the Munich airport. Yes, it's actually at the airport, and it has some of the best food and beer I had on my trip. The Munich airport itself is rather unusual in that it has a shopping center right there. The people eating and drinking at Airbräu Brauhaus were mostly locals, not travelers. I was there in December, so the outdoor biergarten was closed, but even so the restaurant is pretty big, and bustling with people. How many airport restaurants do you know of that have more diners who are locals than travelers? (Note: It's not a place for a quick bite before catching your flight. Be sure to allow time, though, because it can take some time to pay the check.)

When in Rome....

Speaking of paying, be sure to read up on the local traditions regarding eating and tipping. Water is bottled. It's considered rude to ask for tap water. You choose bubbly or "without gas", and usually have the option for chilled or not. Tipping is usually in the 10% range, and is done by rounding up when the waiter brings you the check. (You can ask for the check in most beer halls by simply saying, "Alles.") For example, he brings you a check for 16.20 Euros; you tell him "18" and give him a 20 and he gives you your change, and you're done. Tips are not left on the table.

The Welt experience

Getting to the Welt for me was a simple cab ride. That said, the trains can get you there pretty easily, I'm told. The Museum is across the street, but there's an outdoor skybridge you walk across to get there. Even a quick run through the museum can take a couple of hours, so be sure to allow yourself some time.

Also be sure to schedule your factory tour (which is booked via email via reply to the confirmation email you get informing you of your production number and delivery date). If you're a machine geek (and I think many owners of "the ultimate driving machine" are), you will love seeing how the assembly line works. Special bonus: Our S65 engines are built there, before being shipped off to be installed in the chassis at another factory.

Okay, so now the actual delivery. Many have written about the process, so I'll review quickly: When you walk in the doors, you can check in at the information desk right there for directions to the elevator you take up to the premium lounge. When you go up the glass elevators, you arrive in a reception area where you do your paperwork with an agent. On the same level is the Premium Lounge, where you can get free cappuccino, sandwiches, croissants, sodas, and even beer. (I would recommend not messing around with beer before you take delivery.)

At your appointed time, you meet a representative, who then takes you downstairs to your car. There's an elevator and a stairway. We took the stairway. Be sure to take the sight of your car while it's lit up, because the spotlights turn off after a couple of minutes. Once you're downstairs, a photographer will take pictures of you with your car, and then your rep will give you a tour of the car itself.

I was mainly curious about the differences of the limited-options 2013 6MT vs. my old fully loaded 2011 DCT. Then I drove my car around the Welt one lap and pulled around to the elevator at the back, where my rep would take my car downstairs to be shipped. (It was snowing. I was not about to take my new baby out in the snow. Been there, done that, I'll wait for the right time.) I took a photograph of the mileage, and then said auf wiedersehen to my new baby.

And suddenly it was over! I'm sorry to have missed out on driving the autobahn and touring the alps, but I'm still glad I took the trip.

Pics are here.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I completely agree about doing an ED if you can - at least once in your life. You'll have an experience to remember and it probably won't be your last time.

That said... I'm planning ED #2 for March!
      01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Koop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E34 M5

Congrats on your pickup and thanks for the great write up! Your M3 is beautiful. I was there in December as well and the snow was out of control. Didn't dare to take the pristine M into the elements! Can't wait to do it again. I think I saw only a fraction of everything there is to take in at the Welt/factory/museum.

Are you on the Fidelio? It's supposed to arrive in Georgia day after tomorrow.

/// E92 M3 Individual - Azurite/Rust ~ E34 M5 - Brilliant Red/Silver Gray
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

thanks for sharing, i love reading the euro delivery threads.
      01-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Phanto///M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Great write-up of your experience. I also enjoy reading these Euro delivery stories. Nothing would be better than driving an M3 on the autobahn and experiencing the culture overseas. Maybe when the new M4 comes out I will finally make the trip. Enjoy the new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I've said it a million times. There is no reason not to do ED. You save on the price and the experience is like none other!!!!
      01-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
@Koop Fidelio yes, but Oxnard port, so I have at least another couple of weeks to wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Good info.

Congrats on the car!
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
@Koop Fidelio yes, but Oxnard port, so I have at least another couple of weeks to wait.
Great write-up, and a couple of weeks to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post

Are you on the Fidelio? It's supposed to arrive in Georgia day after tomorrow.
Mine was on the Fidelio too. I kept screenshots of all the ports it went through - I was OCD, LOL.

Wait, I'm still OCD about my car! It just gets worse as the love grows.
      01-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Congrat on the choice of color and a very nice car you got there.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3

Just a tip

If you are the east coast some of the best (non-stop) flights put you in Munich in the AM.

Do not schedule your delivery for the same day.

We did and I naturally could not sleep at all on the plane, by the time I was chatting with the (very cute) receptionist and trying to do paperwork I was near incoherent.

Suggestion:

Fly into Munich in the AM
Take S-Bahn to hotel
Shower, nap
Go out and drink way too much amazing fresh tasting German beer (mmm)
Drink a ton of water; pass out early
Wake up early refreshed and begin journey
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo View Post
Just a tip

If you are the east coast some of the best (non-stop) flights put you in Munich in the AM.

We did and I naturally could not sleep at all on the plane, by the time I was chatting with the (very cute) receptionist and trying to do paperwork I was near incoherent.

Suggestion:

Take S-Bahn to hotel
Shower, nap
Good advise.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
audipwr1
Rep
Drives: m3

looks amazing
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Thanks for the info Ilis! I'll definitely be heeding your advise this time next month!

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #15
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo View Post
Just a tip

Suggestion:

Take S-Bahn to hotel
Shower, nap
If you are going to be in Munich for several days and then heading elsewhere, I would actually recommend scheduling delivery for your last day in the area. Otherwise you'll take delivery of your prize and it will be in a parking garage. Better to bring your luggage to the Welt, have them store it while you do your delivery, then head out on to the road for an adventure elsewhere. Or at least make the delivery your last night in Munich. It is tough to pick up a car and then take it to a hotel and leave it for several days! Plus, as stated above, the jetlag and sleepless excitement add to delerium.

Agreed on drinking lots of beer to get you on schedule!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #16
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
If you are going to be in Munich for several days and then heading elsewhere, I would actually recommend scheduling delivery for your last day in the area. Otherwise you'll take delivery of your prize and it will be in a parking garage. Better to bring your luggage to the Welt, have them store it while you do your delivery, then head out on to the road for an adventure elsewhere. Or at least make the delivery your last night in Munich. It is tough to pick up a car and then take it to a hotel and leave it for several days! Plus, as stated above, the jetlag and sleepless excitement add to delerium.
I just park it at the Welt (ask for as many free tickets as you like) and use the S/U-Bahn. I don't like lugging stuff around; I'll just go grab the car and bring it back to the hotel before it's time to head out. The free Welt parking is a nice bonus if you ask me.

I picked my 2013 up on Wednesday. Wasn't planning on driving it much till today but we ended up blasting down the Autobahn to Füssen and back after taking delivery. Lots of unrestricted zones on the way.
Appreciate 0