BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

12-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #45
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Except for passenger side wheels going off on the left side. Would need to be going backwards for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 11:45 PM   #46
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Except for passenger side wheels going off on the left side. Would need to be going backwards for that.
Haha. Yes, should have said right side of course.
      12-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #47
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Haha. Yes, should have said right side of course.
No worries I've done it and about hit a turn station at the ridge turn 3.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #48
Gary Milgrom
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette

FHRs and Side Impacts

Caveat: I work for HANS Performance Products, inventors and marketers of the HANS Device frontal head restraint. Thank you for the opportunity of posting in this forum. There are some incorrect claims upthread about side impact protection offered by Frontal Head Restraints. Here is the most accurate information currently available on this subject.

FRONTAL HEAD RESTRAINTS AND SIDE IMPACTS

1. All FIA and SFI certified frontal head restraints offer protection from zero to 30 degrees offset. No FHR provides complete protection in side impacts beyond 30 degrees. For complete side impact protection head surrounds, full containment seats or side nets should be your primary means of protection.

2. What defines side impact? If you mean someone hitting your door at 90 degrees but the manufacturer means slightly offset from head on you are not talking about the same thing and you may not receive the level of protection you expect.

3. Anecdotal evidence shows lateral head surrounds, full containment seats or side nets must be used to provide protection from side impacts; while your frontal head restraint provides protection from zero to thirty degree offset impacts.

4. The Simpson 360 degree approach to cockpit safety - harness, helmet, suit, seat, nets and head restraint has been proven to provide exceptional levels of safety in your race car.

If you have any questions about cockpit safety it would be my pleasure to try and help. Thank you,

Gary Milgrom, VP
HANS Performance Products
gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com
Appreciate 5
      12-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #49
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, G07 X7

Gary,

I have a question. If we are using all OEM stock safety equipment (3 point OEM belt, stock seats, and all oem airbags), is it safe to use your products like Hans or Hybrids with OEM safeties? I was told by people to avoid using Hans or Hybrid if I don't have bucket seats and harness with roll cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Milgrom View Post
Caveat: I work for HANS Performance Products, inventors and marketers of the HANS Device frontal head restraint. Thank you for the opportunity of posting in this forum. There are some incorrect claims upthread about side impact protection offered by Frontal Head Restraints. Here is the most accurate information currently available on this subject.

FRONTAL HEAD RESTRAINTS AND SIDE IMPACTS

1. All FIA and SFI certified frontal head restraints offer protection from zero to 30 degrees offset. No FHR provides complete protection in side impacts beyond 30 degrees. For complete side impact protection head surrounds, full containment seats or side nets should be your primary means of protection.

2. What defines side impact? If you mean someone hitting your door at 90 degrees but the manufacturer means slightly offset from head on you are not talking about the same thing and you may not receive the level of protection you expect.

3. Anecdotal evidence shows lateral head surrounds, full containment seats or side nets must be used to provide protection from side impacts; while your frontal head restraint provides protection from zero to thirty degree offset impacts.

4. The Simpson 360 degree approach to cockpit safety - harness, helmet, suit, seat, nets and head restraint has been proven to provide exceptional levels of safety in your race car.

If you have any questions about cockpit safety it would be my pleasure to try and help. Thank you,

Gary Milgrom, VP
HANS Performance Products
gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #50
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungjungsc View Post
Gary,

I have a question. If we are using all OEM stock safety equipment (3 point OEM belt, stock seats, and all oem airbags), is it safe to use your products like Hans or Hybrids with OEM safeties? I was told by people to avoid using Hans or Hybrid if I don't have bucket seats and harness with roll cage.
Have you actually seen how HANS device is secured and attached? The TWO shoulder belts on a fixed 5 or 6 point harness holds the HANS device firmly in place against your body, then the device is attached to your helmet via a tether to prevent the head from moving away from the body in the event of sudden deceleration.

I don't see how any head and neck restraint system can possibly work with a 3 point OEM belt? HANS is designed exclusively to work with harnesses, and harnesses almost exclusively require roll cage, and roll cage almost exclusively require bucket, fixed back seats. Without all three working in tandem, you don't have a working safety system.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #51
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I don't see how any head and neck restraint system can possibly work with a 3 point OEM belt? HANS is designed exclusively to work with harnesses, and harnesses almost exclusively require roll cage, and roll cage almost exclusively require bucket, fixed back seats. Without all three working in tandem, you don't have a working safety system.
This.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #52
sungjungsc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, G07 X7

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #53
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungjungsc View Post
Gary,

Some head restraints like the Hybrid R3 can work with OEM 3 point seat belts as well as 5-6 point harnesses. Several of the instructors at our local track use this restraint when instructing in vehicles with OEM seat belts.

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #54
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Have you actually seen how HANS device is secured and attached? The TWO shoulder belts on a fixed 5 or 6 point harness holds the HANS device firmly in place against your body, then the device is attached to your helmet via a tether to prevent the head from moving away from the body in the event of sudden deceleration.

Was checking out some neck restraints today. Simpson Hybrid has one that's compatible with three-point seat belts.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #55
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I run back half cage, Recaro spg, and hans. Don't have any airbags. Considering a halo seat.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #56
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Friend of mine showed me this in response to the tragic events.
The safety net, halo seat + total system works. 136 mph hit!!

I think it helps that COTA has world class barriers too, but wow, this is a hard side hit and the driver has barely any injuries:

instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #57
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Friend of mine showed me this in response to the tragic events.
The safety net, halo seat + total system works. 136 mph hit!!

I think it helps that COTA has world class barriers too, but wow, this is a hard side hit and the driver has barely any injuries:

gnarly. have you seen the video where a ferrari literally flies for a hundreds of feet before crashing?
      12-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #58
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
gnarly. have you seen the video where a ferrari literally flies for a hundreds of feet before crashing?
I think I've seen every crash video in preparation for HPDE, including that one. That's the one where he tries to act as a plow?
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #59
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

12-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #60
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Looks like I described exactly what happened after all.

http://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local...efore-birthday
      12-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #61
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:

Looks like it. Those kind of mistakes that result in a bad crash are very common.
But, there may have been something else we dont know about.
He was a pro driver, and not likely he made a mistake you are describing in your post.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #62
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot
Quote:

Looks like it. Those kind of mistakes that result in a bad crash are very common.
He was a pro driver, and not likely he made a mistake you are describing in your post.
Having no idea of course, I would argue the fact that he was a pro driver is exactly what caused the crash.

I have made that same mistake there a few times. However, I was warned by friends to never try and save it there. Just go off right and own it.

I am guessing that a pro driver on the other hand doesn't think that way. They assume they can save it.
      12-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #63
CalSE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot
Quote:

I have seen and heard of quite a few accidents occuring after the last of the esses where the driver drops right wheels on the dirt, tries to correct, traction re-engages while sideways, and then catapults into the left side wall tire barrier.

Every driver's meeting I have been to warns us of that problematic section including Phil Hill. I just straighten my wheel and go off roading.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #64
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSE View Post
I have seen and heard of quite a few accidents occuring after the last of the esses where the driver drops right wheels on the dirt, tries to correct, traction re-engages while sideways, and then catapults into the left side wall tire barrier.

Every driver's meeting I have been to warns us of that problematic section including Phil Hill. I just straighten my wheel and go off roading.
the other part to the story is still unknown. i'm still assuming that he broke due to neck injuries sustained with a harness and no hans.
      12-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #65
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

Just moved to SoCal and stumbled upon Renner Motorsports to do some tire installs. I saw this thread and didn't know who Ivo was until more pictures came out of him and now recognize that he was the one who did the install on my tires. He went out of his way to get everything fixed correctly even when the previous installer messed up my TPMS and didn't even charge me for the extra work. Very good man from what I can tell. My condolences go out to his family, friends, and everyone at Renner Motorsports.
      12-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #66
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
RIP

My guess is that if he was in a prepped e46 with cage with harness but maybe didn't have a hans on? I heard the passenger side was the impact and for me it doesn't make sense that the driver died but the passenger didn't unless it was some sort of neck injury.

I am running a hans right now and will be getting a cage with seats and will make sure to get seats with removable halo. Either that or I'm going to go with the simpson hybrid pro which also provides side impact protection and works on all types of seats. Seems like rally drivers are going with this system more and more and being that we are in closed cars may be a safer alternative than hans. just personal opinion.

RIP

Ill be there in a couple sundays from now. as i've gotten faster safety has become my number one thing but now my wife is freaking out so i'm going all out on the safety gear fuck that.
Hans will not help in a side impact. You need a seat with ears for that.

We also had a fatality at my local track last year. Fully prepped GT3 with cage, harness and Hans. He hit the wall sideways.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0