BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

12-28-2023, 06:49 AM   #1
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

AAA Alternatives

Does anyone use a roadside assistance program (aside from manufacturer-sponsored or AAA) that they like? I have had AAA for over 20 years and (thankfully) very rarely use it for roadside assistance. But this year, I happened to need it twice and both times response times were over 2 hours. Wondering if anyone has better experience with an alternative. My concern with a switch is they may all be contracting with the same service providers and response time depends on the quantity and quality of those providers in your local area more than the company you pay for the program.
      12-28-2023, 07:18 AM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

We have AAA service only because our home and auto insurance is through them and you need to be a member for the discounts. But we've had a similar experience where a simple need for a jump start was going to take hours. The nearest contracted service to our town is in a town 40 minutes away. The local garage guys will be out in 5 minutes and usually won't bill you for a tow if they end up doing whatever repair is needed.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your request for recommendations. I just wanted to concur that AAA towing service is shit,.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      12-28-2023, 08:59 AM   #3
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Been told Geico offers like service.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410981.00
vreihen1615280.00
      12-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I have AAA service (along with their car insurance) and have had them come out to jump start a car twice in a month recently and both times they were here in less than a half hour. Had an electrical problem that was draining the battery, all fixed now.

Sorry, doesn't answer your question, Rick. Guess it depends on your location. Personally, I'm happy with AAA service.
      12-28-2023, 10:32 AM   #5
nawfoo
Rep
Drives: Integra

I'm triple covered through Geico, Acura, the credit card
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      12-28-2023, 11:04 AM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I have AAA service (along with their car insurance) and have had them come out to jump start a car twice in a month recently and both times they were here in less than a half hour. Had an electrical problem that was draining the battery, all fixed now.

Sorry, doesn't answer your question, Rick. Guess it depends on your location. Personally, I'm happy with AAA service.
Waited 2.5 hours today and that was only because I called AAA to complain about them moving my service time back three times. They got it shortened from a 3 hour wait. A AAA supervisor confirmed they have only one company contracted in the county, which is over 2,000 sq. miles in size. Doubtful that company has much incentive to expand its fleet / workers if AAA isn’t going to supplement the roster of providers or hold them to any time of service standard.
Esteban43763.00
      12-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Waited 2.5 hours today and that was only because I called AAA to complain about them moving my service time back three times. They got it shortened from a 3 hour wait. A AAA supervisor confirmed they have only one company contracted in the county, which is over 2,000 sq. miles in size. Doubtful that company has much incentive to expand its fleet / workers if AAA isn’t going to supplement the roster of providers or hold them to any time of service standard.
Yeah, that's a bummer. I'd be looking for someone else too. Sorry to hear.

PS - maybe try hitting up your area in your forum's "Regional Forums" section.

Last edited by Esteban; 12-28-2023 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410981.00
dradernh4413.00
      12-28-2023, 01:39 PM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
I'm triple covered through Geico, Acura, the credit card
You must sleep well at night.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410981.00
nawfoo7.50
      12-28-2023, 04:15 PM   #9
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I may have coverage on my RAM but I think it expires soon. I gave up AAA about 20 years ago - too expensive for the low probability I’ll need them and the long wait times (which was my experience long ago with them, and everyone I know). I can change a tire and have a spare, so just towing is the real need - and I haven’t needed that since 1978. So the math doesn’t work for AAA for me: years x annual fee compared with cost of a tow every what, decade?

I’m driving a 18 year old BMW and I still feel this is the right call.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      12-28-2023, 05:56 PM   #10
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I have never had to use the roadside assistance provided in my auto insurance policy, due to good luck combined with always having spares and tools along on racing road trips. (My DW used them once, and I can't claim that the fast service that she received was typical because her flat tire was on the NY State Thruway and the Thruway Authority exclusively licenses a few large tow companies that our insurance company had to dispatch.)

Given that I can't even pop off a hub cap without fatigue these days, I need to find a roadside assistance program for our road trip vehicle since my auto insurance carrier dropped roadside coverage on the almost Mighty Freightliner because it is too big for them to tow.

TL;DR, does anyone have experience with Good Sam Club's roadside assistance?

https://roadside.goodsam.com/

They have auto-only plans, and their repair service contractors are probably different because they also need to service RV/campers.....
      12-28-2023, 06:14 PM   #11
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I have never had to use the roadside assistance provided in my auto insurance policy, due to good luck combined with always having spares and tools along on racing road trips. (My DW used them once, and I can't claim that the fast service that she received was typical because her flat tire was on the NY State Thruway and the Thruway Authority exclusively licenses a few large tow companies that our insurance company had to dispatch.)

Given that I can't even pop off a hub cap without fatigue these days, I need to find a roadside assistance program for our road trip vehicle since my auto insurance carrier dropped roadside coverage on the almost Mighty Freightliner because it is too big for them to tow.

TL;DR, does anyone have experience with Good Sam Club's roadside assistance?

https://roadside.goodsam.com/

They have auto-only plans, and their repair service contractors are probably different because they also need to service RV/campers.....
That was one I was looking at and then I came upon these reviews (AAA also very bad in same site):

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto....html?#reviews
vreihen1615280.00
      12-28-2023, 07:57 PM   #12
Mike Whitney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2008 M5, 2002 M3+

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2024 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I may have coverage on my RAM but I think it expires soon. I gave up AAA about 20 years ago - too expensive for the low probability I’ll need them and the long wait times (which was my experience long ago with them, and everyone I know). I can change a tire and have a spare, so just towing is the real need - and I haven’t needed that since 1978. So the math doesn’t work for AAA for me: years x annual fee compared with cost of a tow every what, decade?

I’m driving a 18 year old BMW and I still feel this is the right call.
+1

In an era of near ubiquitous connectivity these services just don't make much sense. When all you had was a dumb cellphone it was handy to have one number to call. Now, need a tow? Just search google maps and call around until you find someone who can come right away.

My son totaled his car (single-car, no collision/comp) a few years back and it took all of 10 minutes to find someone who could come out right away and give a tow ~5 miles for like $200.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
2000cs3502.50
      12-28-2023, 09:33 PM   #13
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
That was one I was looking at and then I came upon these reviews (AAA also very bad in same site):
How about Verizon's offering, which even includes satellite dispatching when in an area with no cell coverage and using a newer iPhone:

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-an...ide-assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitney View Post
In an era of near ubiquitous connectivity these services just don't make much sense. When all you had was a dumb cellphone it was handy to have one number to call. Now, need a tow? Just search google maps and call around until you find someone who can come right away.
That was my thinking as well when the roadside coverage was canceled on the almost Mighty Freightliner. Since they are also used in commercial/fleet roles and we mainly drive interstates on our road trips, I always have the option of calling a local truck/bus/RV tow company if I ever need one. Lord knows that trucking companies and their drivers don't like to be parked on the side of the road not making revenue, so they should in theory be quicker to respond.

The one thing that scares me is to drive the tall 2WD beast into the temporary dirt driveway at our SC tree farm, since the cell service there is essentially useless and I'm afraid to think about what an "off-road" recovery tow costs.....
      12-29-2023, 02:09 AM   #14
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Whoever you buy your roadside assistance from - it's likely coming from the same towing companies. I'd just stick with AAA.
RickFLM410981.00
      12-29-2023, 06:07 AM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
How about Verizon's offering, which even includes satellite dispatching when in an area with no cell coverage and using a newer iPhone:

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-an...ide-assistance
That looks interesting and we recently switched to Verizon for wireless. Anyone use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Whoever you buy your roadside assistance from - it's likely coming from the same towing companies. I'd just stick with AAA.
This is my concern.
      12-29-2023, 07:39 AM   #16
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
In doing some research last night, many seem to be using Agero as their middleman wholesaler:

https://www.agero.com/products-servi...ide-assistance

Another option that I saw was AARP, if you qualify for membership and can overlook their political advocacy:

After digging through some RV/camper sites, these are some other offerings. Coach-net seems to be regarded higher than AAA or Good Sam, if you want to dig into their reviews:

https://coach-net.com/24-7-protect-roadside-assistance/

https://www.fmca.com/index.php/fmca-...ssistance.html

I also found a smartphone/web app that may be worth investigating, with no annual fee. You only pay (via the app) when you call for service. Honk for help:

https://www.honkforhelp.com/
      12-29-2023, 10:56 AM   #17
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

You're best answers will come from you local tow companies.

ALL the tow guys I know refuse to work with AAA. They are not willing to do quality work for below bottom dollar and at a loss. There are a good portion of consumer tow services that are refused by tow companies because of similar reasons to the AAA problem.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      12-30-2023, 11:23 PM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

AAA will replace your battery, just not sure if they do BMW batteries with the coding or they just install the battery and tell you to take it to the dealer to code it. They are going to be cheaper than auto zone or the dealer for similar or better spec battery with a 3 year free replacement warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 07:44 PM   #19
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I think it's the luck of the draw on that given day. I have mostly had long waits for road side assistance with various companies and I've had a small handful of decent experiences. Also probably depends on what you need done. I recently had Porsche road side service come help me with a flat because my dumbass dropped a lug nut into a fucking hole in the trunk trim that was the EXACT size of the lug and couldn't for the life of me get it out. Anyways they came out pretty quick, but it was just some dude in his personal car.

I have also been told that they simply could not find anyone by another company when we were traveling with the RV out in CA somewhere. I ended up finding a company on my own to help.

So honestly at this point I just assume it will probably be shit so I go with the cheapest. If the car had manufacturer road side I stick with that, if it doesn't I just get it through insurance because it's dirt cheap.
Appreciate 0