BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

08-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #23
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Duly noted.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #24
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Doubt mine are going in, cases rising sharply here so until they are vaxxed we will likely keep them home.
Why should you, or anyone else for that matter, care very much about case counts? Does the vaccine prevent you from getting COVID? Does it prevent you from infecting someone else?

What I do care about however are ICU admissions (and to a smaller extent, but still of interest - hospital admission) and deaths. I think that more accurately sums up what is happening, specifically in regards to the latest variant, and how worried we should be.

About the only counterargument I see, is that an increase in cases could lead to further variants (which is true, its a virus, that's what it does), but what is your end goal then if you care about cases? I mean, we have a pretty good takeup on the vaccine - there's nothing more beyond that which is better than a vaccine (that I'm aware of), so....let's let life resume as far as I'm concerned and stop destroying the economy and coddling people by allowing them not to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post

I liked the analogy I heard the other day that was something like you have the freedom to drink alcohol but you do not have the freedom to drink and drive. Replace that with this mess. Unbelievable.
Why is that a good analogy? Perhaps I'm not following it? Have I misunderstood - I'm thinking the analogy is something like:
"You have the freedom to not get vaccinated, but you don't have the freedom to infect others if you choose not to get the vaccine" or something along those lines?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #25
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
So I guess you're lucky enough to have an adult who stays or works from home that can be with the kids, or did you have to make special arrangements?
Yes. I work from home. Very fortunate as such and always able to help my boys with school lessons.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #26
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Why is that a good analogy? Perhaps I'm not following it? Have I misunderstood - I'm thinking the analogy is something like:
"You have the freedom to not get vaccinated, but you don't have the freedom to infect others if you choose not to get the vaccine" or something along those lines?
Yes, that's what it meant. The fact you were able to put 2 and 2 together proves the analogy worked. Am I missing something in your response?

BTW, on your other point. No one is preventing people from working. This discussion was about someone's kids going to school. The debate is whether schools should have the right to require masks or not. This is obviously a very heated topic. I personally see no harm in having kids mask up in order to minimize the risk of spread. It's a bit ironic you highlighted the matter about ICUs and hospitals filling up. What is the primary reason for this again?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #27
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Will post pics in a few weeks. My boys don't start school till September.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #28
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
Yes, that's what it meant. The fact you were able to put 2 and 2 together proves the analogy worked. Am I missing something in your response?
I wanted to make sure I understood what I thought the analogy might be getting at before I explained why it is a poor analogy.

Can we agree on the following points?

1. The vaccine does not prevent you or anyone else from getting COVID. It *should* help to prevent (though not guaranteed) you from experiencing significant symptoms when you get COVID (ie. hopefully you will not wind up in the ICU or dead). But it doesn't prevent you from getting COVID.

2. In a similar vein, just as it does not prevent you from getting COVID, it also does not prevent you from spreading COVID. But again, theoretically, if you give it to another vaccinated individual, theoretically they should not be in any significant danger.

If we agree on the above, it is a poor analogy for the following reasons:

1. Vaccinated or unvaccinated, you can still get COVID and spread COVID, therefore, the unvaccinated are not doing some additional harm to another individual that a vaccinated person wouldn't. (ie. impaired vs sober person where clearly the impaired person could or would cause additional harm if they drove)

2. I think we agree in general that the effects of COVID are typically more serious in the unvaccinated - if they choose to take this risk, they harm themselves rather than others by their choice. (Drunk driver harms others and maybe themselves).

Quote:
BTW, on your other point. No one is preventing people from working. This discussion was about someone's kids going to school. The debate is whether schools should have the right to require masks or not. This is obviously a very heated topic. I personally see no harm in having kids mask up in order to minimize the risk of spread. It's a bit ironic you highlighted the matter about ICUs and hospitals filling up. What is the primary reason for this again?
The government (up here anyways) certainly isn't incentivizing them to work though are they? I never said anyone was being prevented from working. If you can collect $2K a month (roughly) to sit on your butt and maybe do a little cash jobs on the side, do you think you are going to go back to your job that pays you maybe $3K per month? The incremental benefit isn't worth it.

For us, and it may be different for you, but our ICU numbers are either steady or dwindling, not increasing. Case counts don't matter as much anymore once vaccinated, because we might as well be reporting case counts of the common cold then. Or perhaps the case counts of everything indirectly linked to COVID, like increase in suicides, divorces, child abuse, elective surgeries being canceled and then presenting as serious surgical issues, etc.

Why draw the line at just COVID case counts, let's fuel the fire! And actually, you are starting to see just this. Been hearing anything about RSV? Which has been around for quite some time? Well, look at that, the media found something else to peddle fear now that the vaccine is here, those resourceful sonofaguns.
Appreciate 1
essejM360.50
      08-12-2021, 04:55 PM   #29
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Now that you have explained yourself and gotten clarity, can you kindly keep the thread on Topic please?
Much appreciated.

I'm sure there are more parents here with kiddos who have or will return to school. 🙂
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 07:00 PM   #30
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

To respect the OP's wishes, I'm not going to get into it any further though I could.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #31
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
To respect the OP's wishes, I'm not going to get into it any further though I could.
Feel free to PM me if you want - that way you are getting the best of both worlds!

Or create a separate thread?
Appreciate 0