BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #23
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 235i m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
and the oldest bar in the country where I got drunk hit my head on the ceilings because the settlers were short.
OMG - what's the name of that place? Grubby cellar-level bar on Charles Street (maybe?) with a beam so low everyone (including me) wound up with a concussion sooner or later?!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

A month or two ago I read that the Red Hat in Old Scollay's Square was finally closing its doors. That was a shock. Spent many an evening there in my younger days.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/06...-close-sunday/

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #25
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hung at the Red Hat all the time 30 years ago! $5 pitchers of mud slides, best loaded potato skins and cranky 68 year old irish waitresses in fishnets. Classic Boston.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:24 PM   #26
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
Hung at the Red Hat all the time 30 years ago! $5 pitchers of mud slides, best loaded potato skins and cranky 68 year old irish waitresses in fishnets. Classic Boston.
I was there often in the late 80's when I was working for an asbestos abatement company and we had a huge project in the Saltonstall Bldg across the street. We were there every night after work. At that time, there were three knockout waitresses. But you're right, great loaded potato skins. Pretty good burgers, too.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 06:01 AM   #27
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Reminds me of the placing of the house in the Stuart Little film, ''A small house with a big personality.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #28
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The house I grew up in, for which my Dad paid $12k, is now worth $600k. It's in a suburb south of Boston. I read that the population of Massachusetts went up by 7 million in the past decade. No wonder it feels so crowded there now. As much as I loved living near the ocean and mountains, I could never move back there. Too expensive and too crowded.
You read wrong. lol.
The population of the entire state of MA is currently about 7 million--a 7% increase since 2010.

The current population of the city of Boston is 675k. Its a relatively small city, but yes, thickly settled in certain parts, and housing is ridiculous. But it is actually one of the greenest cities in the US-in terms of green space within city limits--parks, recreation areas, hiking trails, etc., and proximity to the ocean and mountains is a huge draw.
Appreciate 2
NEfan5082658.50
M_Six16966.50
      08-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #29
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

@6oclockshadow

Mountains and ocean? That's why people are drawn here? Maybe some but not the majority IMO (small big city)

Best hospitals: MGH & Children's Hospital top 10 in the country year after year, I fought the big C, I'm staying because of the great cancer care, my twin girls was born 2.5 lbs now 21 years old happy healthy brats (these hospitals saved us)

I have a paid for cheap condo in Hollywood FL 3 hr flight, and a rustic Cape in Wells Maine 90 min drive, we just visit occasionally, Boston is home only for Work and medical care, roast beef sandwiches too

Universities: MIT, Harvard just to name a couple, Cambridge has over half its population with a major degree (wicked smaht)

People come here for education and $100k+ jobs, that's the major reason anybody moves anyplace

Go to Broward county FL to spend money and get sun, nothing more, go to the Maine coast when I have the urge to commit road rage crimes (peace)

Im 38 now, as soon as my Josh go's to school (my youngest) my job is done, retiring early 40's in south FL, work at Home Depot lumber dept or something to keep a little busy
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #30
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
You read wrong. lol.
The population of the entire state of MA is currently about 7 million--a 7% increase since 2010.

The current population of the city of Boston is 675k. Its a relatively small city, but yes, thickly settled in certain parts, and housing is ridiculous. But it is actually one of the greenest cities in the US-in terms of green space within city limits--parks, recreation areas, hiking trails, etc., and proximity to the ocean and mountains is a huge draw.
I thought that number seemed awfully high. I need to slow down when I scan headlines.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #31
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
Quote:
and the oldest bar in the country where I got drunk hit my head on the ceilings because the settlers were short.
OMG - what's the name of that place? Grubby cellar-level bar on Charles Street (maybe?) with a beam so low everyone (including me) wound up with a concussion sooner or later?!
I can't remember, I just remember stumbling around there to the weird holocaust memorial and walking back up that steep ass hill on bowdoin st.. Bell in the hand or something like that.. Bell in hand?
I used to just walk down the hill and plant my ass in a seat and stumbled back to the filibuster cafe and chow down, then back upstairs to my apartment and die from the fuel oil radiant heat used up there.

All I had to control the heat to the place was ONE KNOB on a radiant coils system in the place.. ran me out of there it was so hot.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #32
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@6oclockshadow

Mountains and ocean? That's why people are drawn here? Maybe some but not the majority IMO (small big city)

Best hospitals: MGH & Children's Hospital top 10 in the country year after year, I fought the big C, I'm staying because of the great cancer care, my twin girls was born 2.5 lbs now 21 years old happy healthy brats (these hospitals saved us)

I have a paid for cheap condo in Hollywood FL 3 hr flight, and a rustic Cape in Wells Maine 90 min drive, we just visit occasionally, Boston is home only for Work and medical care, roast beef sandwiches too

Universities: MIT, Harvard just to name a couple, Cambridge has over half its population with a major degree (wicked smaht)

People come here for education and $100k+ jobs, that's the major reason anybody moves anyplace

Go to Broward county FL to spend money and get sun, nothing more, go to the Maine coast when I have the urge to commit road rage crimes (peace)

Im 38 now, as soon as my Josh go's to school (my youngest) my job is done, retiring early 40's in south FL, work at Home Depot lumber dept or something to keep a little busy

Yeah, I just didn't want to brag about the education, medicine, music, tech, biotech, finance, and arts the city is the hub of.
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      08-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #33
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't remember, I just remember stumbling around there to the weird holocaust memorial and walking back up that steep ass hill on bowdoin st.. Bell in the hand or something like that.. Bell in hand?
I used to just walk down the hill and plant my ass in a seat and stumbled back to the filibuster cafe and chow down, then back upstairs to my apartment and die from the fuel oil radiant heat used up there.

All I had to control the heat to the place was ONE KNOB on a radiant coils system in the place.. ran me out of there it was so hot.
Bell in Hand, Union Street
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #34
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
Quote:

Bell in Hand, Union Street
I've gotten wasted there a few too many times.
Culture Shock:
NO SWEET TEA….
NO GRITS….
People I worked with up there kept asking me if I was "All set"

The ones with boats and tackle would call going fishing "Tuition Fishin". (Someone explain please)

The city Worcester is pronounced WOOSTER
Land locked because of bridges

The homeless downtown asking for spare change.. there were many. Helped a few. Cops were nice to them.
Great walking city, especially if drunk.

The only thing I never did was go whale watching.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #35
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep

Beacon Hill Pub has the beam of doom I think. Nearly knocked myself out after a long night at the bar.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:47 PM   #36
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@M_Six

Why I'm really here,
Rare roast beef done right, dozens of places around Boston that make these mouth-watering sandwiches

toasted bun, BBQ sauce, American white cheese with a dollop of horseradish
Finally found it. Mike's Roast Beef in Everett across the street from the Honda dealer near the Exelon power plant. That's where I used to get killer roast beef sammiches.
Attached Images

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0