BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

05-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
RustySTL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW e92 M3

iPhone and USB Music Playback

I've done a search and really haven't found any help with the issue that I'm having.

I have my iPhone connected with the standard USB cable and when I'm trying to play music, sometimes it will work and then the next time I get in the car it won't work.

When it's not working I can still see all of my playlists and songs, but when I select them to play all that shows up is "Unknown Track" and no music plays. The next time I get in the car it may or may not work again.

A few things I've tried is turning the bluetooth on and off on both the phone and the phone settings in idrive. I have also updated the software from www.bmwusa.com/update (which I had to do when IOS 5 came out, I couldn't get any music to play at all).

I still need to try a new USB cable to see if that might be the problem and maybe try to update the software again.

Anyone else seen this?
      05-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
You may just need an update of the software for the BT/audio which you can download on the BMW site and update yourself through the USB port by putting on a memory stick.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
RustySTL
Private
United_States
Rep

No luck. I tried updating the software again, but it's the same version that was already installed.

I can play music through bluetooth and I can play Pandora through the cable and by bluetooth. So I'm thinking there is a setting someplace that's messed up.

When it did it before I messed with the bluetooth settings on the car and it would eventually work. I had seen where some people had issues trying to play through the cable with the bluetooth on, but this time I've tried just about everything.
      05-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Turning BT on or off shouldn't matter. Maybe a new cable, but I would doubt that would change things.

You might need a software update from the dealer or through someone like my good friend Mike Benvo.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
RustySTL
Private
United_States
Rep

I don't think a new cable will help either since it's playing streaming music through it. I'm going to try a friends iphone when I get home to see if it works. If it's still doing the same thing, I'll just take it in and have the dealer look at it.

Just weird it does it intermittantly, but now it's been a couple of days with no luck. But watch, it'll work when I head home from work today.
      05-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
RustySTL
Private
United_States
Rep

Restarted my phone and now the music files will play through the USB cable....for now anyway. We'll see how long that lasts.
      05-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
Restarted my phone and now the music files will play through the USB cable....for now anyway. We'll see how long that lasts.
Let's hope it stays that way!
Appreciate 0