BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Carbon Wrap To Match OEM Carbon Leather

My 2008 e92 M3 came with the OEM carbon leather stitched style trim. I'm looking for carbon wrap, or similar product to cover my steering wheel trim. I took off the trim, sanded off the oem coating and tried PlastiDip'ing it, but I'm not happy with the feel.

From what I can tell on screenshots 3M DiNoc seems to be a decent match, not too shiny, since the OEM isn't very shiny/glossy.

Is there something better out there?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limerock Grey M3 / Hellrot 1M

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350004

There is link inside that thread to the vendors site. I believe it was the matte charcoal that is like 97% match to oem leather trim.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

I ordered the fabric on Saturday! I can't wait to get it! I'll post up some photos when I get it installed. I WILL post a picture of the carbon leather and this, side by side, for comparison (I couldn't find comparisons anywhere).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

Its close but not exact. I wrapped my steering wheel cover and center console. It looks almost the same but the texture is different. The fabric is smooth and soft while the carbon leather is rough. Either way it looks great tho! you will be happy with it im sure since Im picky and I was quite pleased with how it blends together. The only issue I had with it was that it is quite a mess to work with since you have use lots of glue and even more patience.

Also that link is dead but fyi I got mine from Pyspeed, definitely the Charcoal.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info! I ordered a yard of the matte charcoal. Looking forward to applying it.

A close match should be good enough for me, it's not directly beside the other trim. I just didn't want something more glossy/shiny.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
Its close but not exact. I wrapped my steering wheel cover and center console. It looks almost the same but the texture is different. The fabric is smooth and soft while the carbon leather is rough. Either way it looks great tho! you will be happy with it im sure since Im picky and I was quite pleased with how it blends together. The only issue I had with it was that it is quite a mess to work with since you have use lots of glue and even more patience.

Also that link is dead but fyi I got mine from Pyspeed, definitely the Charcoal.
How did you prep the console and wheel before applying the spray glue (IE: did you remove the leather from the console or sand the wheel cover)?

Do you have the M wheel cover with the ///m sticker? I'm wondering if the sticker will adhere to the fabric..

OP, sorry if I'm jacking your thread. This is my next project and I'm amped up since it is inexpensive and effective. I actually ordered 3 yards so I might go a little crazy

I still have not received a shipping confirmation from PySpeed It will just show up on my doorstep?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
How did you prep the console and wheel before applying the spray glue (IE: did you remove the leather from the console or sand the wheel cover)?

Do you have the M wheel cover with the ///m sticker? I'm wondering if the sticker will adhere to the fabric..

OP, sorry if I'm jacking your thread. This is my next project and I'm amped up since it is inexpensive and effective. I actually ordered 3 yards so I might go a little crazy

I still have not received a shipping confirmation from PySpeed It will just show up on my doorstep?
I didn't prep at all other than a alcohol wipe to get rid of oils. I thought about removing the leather but realized its actually pretty thick so I would change the overall thickness if I did. Plus it looked like it would be an absolute pain if I did. Side benefit of keeping it is that it provides a nice give to the material so it feels cushioned. Whereas if you strip it, it'll be hard as its thin fabric on hard plastic.

Also the steering cover is rubberized so I decided against it because I thought it would just make it worse.

The glue (3M Super 77, it think it was called) does have a hard time adhering solid to the leather but that's why I also used a ton of it and also used some Loctite vinyl/fabric glue in key areas to make sure it stayed. Primarily corners and edges where it would rub and on the underside where its wrapped around, I reinforced those areas. So far so good after over a year it hasn't bubbled or come apart. I was a bit worried when I first did it but its been fine so far.

Also the emblem just comes right off and as long as it doesn't get dirty it will adhere to the fabric. That's what I did. However I know that the vinyl/fabric glue would work great on this as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
jdamore
Captain
Rep

I just wanted to share some pictures of it completed for those people wondering how close of a match it is. It's really damn close! The pyspeed fabric has slightly rounded edges while the carbon leather are more square. I am very happy with the outcome! You really need to look for the difference in the patern to see it.

Just a note about pyspeed: I am very pissed about how they shipped it to me! I ordered 3 yards and they folded and crammed it into a small box. Imagine 3 yards of fabric in a box that was about 8x8x6. The box was literally bulging and it sprung open as I peeled the tape off. Because of this, there are creases in the patern that will not come out! It is ruined. I had to Very strategically find a cut where the crease would not be visible. This was EXTREMELY AMATURE BS! It was the result of a worker not thinking about the impression I would have opening box. IF you order from pyspeed, demand they send it rolled and shipped in a tube. I sure hope they read this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
jdamore
Captain
Rep

Oh, and the close ups are oem and fabric compared like I promised! :-D
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just received my order of 2 yards and it was also in a small 6" box.

There are small creases and I'm not sure I can find a section the right size to cover the steering trim.

I know this might sound silly but is the fabric ironable on low?

Not sure how to get the creases out can still see some when I try to stretch the fabric.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Wow, this is awesome! I was just looking to do this to the center console on my M3 and possibly the steering wheel trim as well.

Would any of you guys be kind enough to do a quick DIY on how to wrap the center console with this stuff? I'm thinking it would be best to cover the cover the whole outer surface snuggly, then cut the holes for the shifter and iDrive controls, then secure the now loose fabric to the inner surfaces in the cutouts?

Can't believe PYSpeed ships it like that, by the way.

Last edited by Hujan; 01-24-2015 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
dans///m3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Hey jdamore, that looks great!

Does the trim around the idrive controller come apart from the center console? It looks clean on yours so I assume so? I really need to be able to remove mine because my trim is peeling and I would like to paint it as well.
      06-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
I just wanted to share some pictures of it completed for those people wondering how close of a match it is. It's really damn close! The pyspeed fabric has slightly rounded edges while the carbon leather are more square. I am very happy with the outcome! You really need to look for the difference in the patern to see it.

Just a note about pyspeed: I am very pissed about how they shipped it to me! I ordered 3 yards and they folded and crammed it into a small box. Imagine 3 yards of fabric in a box that was about 8x8x6. The box was literally bulging and it sprung open as I peeled the tape off. Because of this, there are creases in the patern that will not come out! It is ruined. I had to Very strategically find a cut where the crease would not be visible. This was EXTREMELY AMATURE BS! It was the result of a worker not thinking about the impression I would have opening box. IF you order from pyspeed, demand they send it rolled and shipped in a tube. I sure hope they read this.
What's that Ergo Touchpad for?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

this is 3m wrap. minus seats of course.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
this is 3m wrap. minus seats of course.
Everywhere or just the center console?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep

I contacted Pyspeed about the shipping method and this was their reply.

The nature of the fabric will smooth out when it's stretched or apply a little heat. All our fabric orders were shipped the same way.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #17
ivad32
Keelhauler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6-spd

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Wow, this is awesome! I was just looking to do this to the center console on my M3 and possibly the steering wheel trim as well.

Would any of you guys be kind enough to do a quick DIY on how to wrap the center console with this stuff? I'm thinking it would be best to cover the cover the whole outer surface snuggly, then cut the wholes for the shifter and iDrive controls, then secure the now loose fabric to the inner surfaces in the cutouts?

Can't believe PYSpeed ships it like that, by the way.
+1

Looks phenomenal templarklimek!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm going to get some 3M adhesive and take my first crack at it. Looks like apply adhesive to the piece and carefully apply the fabric. Not sure if adhesive is needed on the fabric backing of the wrap.

I will also try applying a little heat to see if I can get rid of the creases.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #19
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivad32 View Post
+1

Looks phenomenal templarklimek!

Thank you, its all wrap including steering wheel and door trim pieces. I think it make the M3's interior a little less bland. Add's some texture and depth.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1RC View Post
I'm going to get some 3M adhesive and take my first crack at it. Looks like apply adhesive to the piece and carefully apply the fabric. Not sure if adhesive is needed on the fabric backing of the wrap.

I will also try applying a little heat to see if I can get rid of the creases.
I'm thinking steam would be better than an iron. Do you have a clothes steamer?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #21
S1RC
Enlisted Member
Rep

I was going to try a hair dryer but I think my wife might have a clothes steamer which I can try first.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #22
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1RC View Post
I was going to try a hair dryer but I think my wife might have a clothes steamer which I can try first.
Awesome. Let us know how it goes.

In the meantime, what spray-on adhesive are you gents using and where'd you buy it?
Appreciate 0