BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #23
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Build Progress...

Last edited by OG Shark; 08-03-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #24
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post

Sh!t just got real!
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #25
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Sh!t just got real!
Ha yes indeed it has. Going to be fun watching the car evolve over the next few months - but can already tell the waiting part is going to be a bit rough.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #26
OG Shark
Rep

Steady progress on the cage - but I have been too lazy to take pics. In the spirit of Shark Week thought I would add this though. Don't let the pic fool you - that is actually around an 18' long great white - certainly couldn't be the 5' reef shark it might look like. Damn optical illusions

5 weeks until Bertil Roos Racing School in Palm Beach!

Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      08-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #27
OG Shark
Rep

Small update - we are waiting for the fuel cell to get here so we can finish up the cage. It's shaping up nicely - will post pics once it is completed.

Haven't been able to make it out to the track in awhile so I have resorted to filling that empty hole in my life with online shopping. Pretty excited about this new edition - Karbonius' race version of their carbon fiber intake!

We are also starting to look towards design & aero. We have an official Big Wang sighting, so for now going to start focusing on the front and then transition to underneath the car. Going to start eliminating/rearranging in the engine bay so we see what all we have to work with to open up airflow. Can then start to work the aero to help take advantage of this. Really looking forward to seeing how this takes shape.

Will start posting up some build pics once the cage is completed soon!
Appreciate 2
b4hand661.00
warp10776.00
      10-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #28
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Small update - we are waiting for the fuel cell to get here so we can finish up the cage. It's shaping up nicely - will post pics once it is completed.

Haven't been able to make it out to the track in awhile so I have resorted to filling that empty hole in my life with online shopping. Pretty excited about this new edition - Karbonius' race version of their carbon fiber intake!

We are also starting to look towards design & aero. We have an official Big Wang sighting, so for now going to start focusing on the front and then transition to underneath the car. Going to start eliminating/rearranging in the engine bay so we see what all we have to work with to open up airflow. Can then start to work the aero to help take advantage of this. Really looking forward to seeing how this takes shape.

Will start posting up some build pics once the cage is completed soon!
Info on the race plenum. Please
      10-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #29
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Received the shipping notice today so haven't had my hands on it yet. I'll update after I have had a little time with it.

In the meantime...

Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1476.50
      10-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #30
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Digging the build, keep it up and can't wait to see this car in person!
      10-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #31
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I feel stupid for asking, but----did I miss why it's called "Project 224"?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #32
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Thanks! I can't wait to see it too I got the guys at the shop too far sidetracked with the ever escalating M2 build. Now that that time suck is just about wrapped up (besides working through the tuning) I will quit bugging them and let them get back to the M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Ha, no I don't think I mentioned why. Pretty much just a bit of silliness on my side. So 2:25 seems to be about the fastest I've seen for an E9x in any configuration at my home track - COTA... I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of alcohol when the name "Project 224" came about... but hey I'm a grown man pretending to play race car driver so any extra silliness added is acceptable in my opinion

Funny thing is I clocked a 2:23 in my M2 out there a couple of weeks ago.
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1476.50
Ngilbe361618.50
      10-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #33
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ha, no I don't think I mentioned why. Pretty much just a bit of silliness on my side. So 2:25 seems to be about the fastest I've seen for an E9x in any configuration at my home track - COTA... I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of alcohol when the name "Project 224" came about... but hey I'm a grown man pretending to play race car driver so any extra silliness added is acceptable in my opinion

hehe I see.

So, an M2 and M3. Very nice! Will you take both cars to the same events and run them for fun? Or do they each have their own purpose?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #34
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
hehe I see.

So, an M2 and M3. Very nice! Will you take both cars to the same events and run them for fun? Or do they each have their own purpose?
So I picked up the M2 a few months ago to be a fun street car and to take to HPDEs for a more laid back track weekend. Told myself I was only going to do the standard minor track upgrades and then leave it alone... That lasted maybe a week. Fast forward to now and its got a bigger turbo, crazy awesome conversion to an air to water intercooler from an S55 (I have the N55, wanted the car to sound good), coilovers, bbk, etc. I clearly have self control issues. Still streetable though as long as you have the appropriate level of ear protection...

The M3 is going to be for wheel to wheel mainly in NASA & SCCA - hopefully it's ready for the 2020 season start here at the end of January. Kicking around the idea of bringing the M2 along sometimes to run TT. I don't think I would be very competitive in TT2 but sure would have a lot of fun trying - the car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #35
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So I picked up the M2 a few months ago to be a fun street car and to take to HPDEs for a more laid back track weekend. Told myself I was only going to do the standard minor track upgrades and then leave it alone... That lasted maybe a week. Fast forward to now and its got a bigger turbo, crazy awesome conversion to an air to water intercooler from an S55 (I have the N55, wanted the car to sound good), coilovers, bbk, etc. I clearly have self control issues. Still streetable though as long as you have the appropriate level of ear protection...

The M3 is going to be for wheel to wheel mainly in NASA & SCCA - hopefully it's ready for the 2020 season start here at the end of January. Kicking around the idea of bringing the M2 along sometimes to run TT. I don't think I would be very competitive in TT2 but sure would have a lot of fun trying - the car is a blast to drive.
Sounds like you have a great lineup there to have a LOT of fun! Looking forward to hearing more about the E92 build!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      10-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #36
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Thanks! I can't wait to see it too I got the guys at the shop too far sidetracked with the ever escalating M2 build. Now that that time suck is just about wrapped up (besides working through the tuning) I will quit bugging them and let them get back to the M3.

Quote:

Video?

2:23 is flying!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      10-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #37
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Video?

2:23 is flying!
Well of course not - broke my own rule that I set for myself last time out on the track - always to have a camera going. First time out with all the major power upgrades and had been having a rough day getting everything to play nice. Car was constantly going into drivetrain malfunction almost every time a large amount of boost would start building up. The power potential was awesome but just couldn't keep it going with any consistency at all. Only got a couple of laps in with full boost & only one of those was a clean lap. Went through four revisions of the tune & still ended up dialing the boost way down just to get a few back to back laps in Sunday morning. Ended up calling it an early weekend. The good news is the potential is there - the car now has the ability to make a lot of power to go with the great grip it already had. Bad news - well we still have a lot of work to do to keep it making that power. It will get there again when we get the tune figured out & will definitely catch a video. The car pulls crazy strong now - until it decides to stop pulling at all
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2019, 09:11 PM   #38
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Received the shipping notice today so haven't had my hands on it yet. I'll update after I have had a little time with it.

In the meantime...

How will it tie into the front kidneys?

The Geoff Steel and the M24 have a "mouth" that butts up to the kidneys.
      10-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #39
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Well of course not - broke my own rule that I set for myself last time out on the track - always to have a camera going. First time out with all the major power upgrades and had been having a rough day getting everything to play nice. Car was constantly going into drivetrain malfunction almost every time a large amount of boost would start building up. The power potential was awesome but just couldn't keep it going with any consistency at all. Only got a couple of laps in with full boost & only one of those was a clean lap. Went through four revisions of the tune & still ended up dialing the boost way down just to get a few back to back laps in Sunday morning. Ended up calling it an early weekend. The good news is the potential is there - the car now has the ability to make a lot of power to go with the great grip it already had. Bad news - well we still have a lot of work to do to keep it making that power. It will get there again when we get the tune figured out & will definitely catch a video. The car pulls crazy strong now - until it decides to stop pulling at all
There's another M2 owner up here in DFW that is making a lot of power like it sounds like you're making and is having the same issues on track with drivetrain malfunction/limp mode coming on. I'm not sure he's found a solution yet either. If you figure it out let us know and I'll pass along the info!

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #40
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
How will it tie into the front kidneys?

The Geoff Steel and the M24 have a "mouth" that butts up to the kidneys.
We are going to have to fab that piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
There's another M2 owner up here in DFW that is making a lot of power like it sounds like you're making and is having the same issues on track with drivetrain malfunction/limp mode coming on. I'm not sure he's found a solution yet either. If you figure it out let us know and I'll pass along the info!
Interesting, do you know if he has the N55 or S55?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #41
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
We are going to have to fab that piece.

Interesting, do you know if he has the N55 or S55?
I can’t recall, but I know he’s upgraded with a majority of the Dinan stuff and it’s making pretty high hp. I’ll ask him next time I see him. I would bet s55 though if I had to guess

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #42
OG Shark
Rep

Lipstick on a pig

Appreciate 3
b4hand661.00
roastbeef11581.50
      11-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #43
OG Shark
Rep

Update

Now that I have quit sidetracking the guys at the shop with my M2 build they have been able to focus on the M3. Very happy with how the cage has turned out and we have decided to take advantage of the decision to tie in the cage to the rear shock towers by going to a rear coilover setup. The intake to feed the Karbonius racing airbox is in the works and they are working on lowering the radiator and angling the bottom back towards the engine. Fuel cell is in - fits like a glove. The seat mount has been fabricated as well now that we were able to test seat positioning. Main focus for the next couple of weeks will be in the engine bay, mounting the air jacks, & prepping for the suspension changes.

Couple of other additions to the build - swapping the Gintani X-Pipe with high flow cats out with a Bimmerworld catless x-pipe. The Gintani sounded awesome paired with the Corsa catback so a bit sad to see it go. Also adding an MFactory carbon fiber drive shaft and TTV lightweight flywheel to the mix.

We have a hard deadline now at the end of January. Will be going to the NASA comp school to start the season in order to get my license with them. Have my SCCA full comp license but NASA requested that I go to their school - absolutely understandable considering my short track "career". I also always open to more instruction too so I'll gladly do it.

I will also be driving in the WRL endurance races at COTA next weekend. Was able to catch a ride in a M240i Racing . Absolutely going to be a blast - counting down the days!
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      11-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #44
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Did you go into the build shooting for a specific weight based on your power? Did they dyno the car before it got ripped apart? I’m assuming this new intake setup and catless should affect power.

I’m always curious about the decision making process when determining weight versus power when trying to enter specific classes.
Appreciate 0