BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-22-2022, 05:10 PM   #23
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
I've somehow avoided tragedy twice now... Got lucky last month, went 2-off coming out of cotton corners and was essentially riding on the steel skid plate for a few feet. Another member here actually broke off his OEM drain plug off in that same location due to the large drop-off, luckily he shut it off before the engine ate itself. Glad my Alumalite splash guard took some of the impact, just replaced it with a Pinnacle piece.

Really want some sort of additional protection for the oil drain plug opening. Might start a fun flat bottom / extended front splitter project for the winter.
This is why I do not wish to run any drain plug that sticks out further than stock. It is way too easy break off if anything happens.

Newer BMW engines have a recessed drain plug with a flat cover over it. This may be unique for the M3 because the size of the V8 necessitates a oil pan that hangs low.
      09-19-2023, 04:28 PM   #24
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
i want that jackrod stand, but idk man. thats one expensive oil change mod, since you'd need the clean oil drain system too?

which is like $1200 lol.

and that tool thingy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The problem is, this sticks way down (about 20-30mm) on the oil pan. If you drive over anything that sticks up, you could rip it off the car and possibly destroy the oil pan.

The AGA tool seems to be much more compact, but at much more cost.

OEM plug is completely flush with the oil pan as BMW designed it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
I was poking around on their site. The $1200 pump is optional, not needed with their drain plug. What is needed is the $299 adapter that connects to their drain plug. Either way, it is a little steep for a drain plug when it'll cost almost $500 when all said and done.
Seems like they have a DIY verison: https://agatools.com/collections/cle...42466662711537
Appreciate 0