BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #1
AirborneFF
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Turner rear subframe bushings questions.

Gents,

I have been racing my E90 M for 2 years with about 10 average track days a year. I have no other suspension mods. I bought hotchkis f&r sway bar and Turner aluminum rear bushings. My indy whom races multiple spec porches and bmw's. VIR etc... I brought the parts in for install and he advised me against it. Constant counter steering, car being upset on rumble strips, and saying that I would need to weld plates on the frame to prevent cracking. I trust my indy. Though I have searched on this and other forums for a few months and did not see negatives in responses of those that have installed the bushings. Maybe a couple issues max. I need some advice on rather to return these parts. I am confident but humble in my driving skills and never try to out drive the car. Any honest feedback of those that have this installed would be appreciated.

CF Front lip//Cyba Scoops//K&N filter//Charcoal delete//UPSolute tune//Full LED swap//CF roof spoiler//Monaco blue boot lid//muffler delete//Blacklines//15% tint//Rear fogs//
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:09 AM   #2
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

The only downside to solid subframe mounts is your wallet.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Unless your indy has had specific negative experiences with solid subframe in the E9x M3 platform then he might be advising you based on experience on other cars which may not apply to our cars. Yes solid subframes are generally harsh and require chassis reinforcement. But in the E9x M3 platform there is truly no downsides at all. It should have come from the factory with solid rear subframes and the M3 GTS did. If there is only one must-do mod for all E9x M3s whether its a track car or grocery getter, it's solid rear subframe bushes.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Unless your indy has had specific negative experiences with solid subframe in the E9x M3 platform then he might be advising you based on experience on other cars which may not apply to our cars. Yes solid subframes are generally harsh and require chassis reinforcement. But in the E9x M3 platform there is truly no downsides at all. It should have come from the factory with solid rear subframes and the M3 GTS did. If there is only one must-do mod for all E9x M3s whether its a track car or grocery getter, it's solid rear subframe bushes.
Or at least the Poly Inserts for the stock bushings. Very cost-effective solution thats often overlooked. I think because people assume it wont work well. But for the money and ease of install, the slight trade-off from true solid replacement bushings isn't much.. especially with stock suspension..
Now if you start putting poly or even solid Diff bushings in, then yeah the difference its drastic and increases NVH alot, i would consider that really a track car mod.
Solid rubber or just new M3 Diff bushings are okay
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Bmw put solid subframe mounts in the gts and crt with no additional chassis modifications to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 12:03 AM   #6
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Indy is wrong. Gives you better feeling of the rear which will lead to less counter steering. Not sure why he thinks it would cause upsetting on curbs either. You are causing the spring and damper combo to control motion rather than letting the rubber bushings to add an extra undamped oscillation into the mix.
      04-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #7
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Indy is wrong. Gives you better feeling of the rear which will lead to less counter steering. Not sure why he thinks it would cause upsetting on curbs either. You are causing the spring and damper combo to control motion rather than letting the rubber bushings to add an extra undamped oscillation into the mix.
I want to say, by forcing more energy into the springs and dampers, that you're thereby decreasing spring rate which would result in slightly more body roll (grip). I imagine it'd be a very small amount though.
      04-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #8
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
I want to say, by forcing more energy into the springs and dampers, that you're thereby decreasing spring rate which would result in slightly more body roll (grip). I imagine it'd be a very small amount though.
You’d be removing a spring that was in series with the coil spring, so the effective spring rate would increase.