BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #23
sbo76
Private
Rep
Drives: E46/991.1 GT3 Track

slcook54 - I do a couple events a year with the SF group. I typically bring my e46 but occasionally run the e92 just for the convenience of not having to tow back and forth. Following this thread so that we can hopefully meet up at an event. You are blessed with great home courses (LS/Sonoma/TH). You should add Button Willow and Big Willow to the to do list as time permits! Great to see so many BMW owners out using their cars on the track rather than for groceries and driving around town!
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
derbo3610.00
      09-08-2021, 06:04 PM   #24
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
What about putting a thin coat of anti seize between the hub face and rotor like many of us do so that rotors don't get stuck on? I regularly check my lugs and after every session on track. Just curious if the anti siege presents a concern to Tom at Core4
per Core4 Technical page

https://www.core4motorsports.com/tech

Quote:
IF there's excessive galling, a very small amount of standard grade anti-seize lubricant works well. Be sure no grit or dirt gets caught in the lubricant during wheel changes as this will affect lubricity and will need to be cleaned off. Clean and re-apply after approximately ~10 wheel changes or when you notice insufficient lug nut rotation while tightening.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
Davisca4552207.50
      09-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #25
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Given that you should replace your hubs and bearings at this point, Core4 is the sensible choice. I just did this for piece of mind and also went for the 14mm conversion.

Back when I started tracking in 2015 I did something like 40 track days in one year's time span, and was constantly changing wheels and tires. The studs without the press in conversion would really only last 15-20 track days before they would inevitably snap the stud when you went to torque.

I started changing wheels because on like my 5th track day I wrecked one of the tires I was using just to drive to the track - and it happened to be the tires I was tracking on. This ruined the weekend and I resolved to never again let that happen. So street tire set/track tire set. Bring the track set in the back seat, swap at track.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 4
derbo3610.00
slcook541863.00
dogbone5354.50
Davisca4552207.50
      09-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #26
gills
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 race car, E30 S54 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
per Core4 Technical page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney
What about putting a thin coat of anti seize between the hub face and rotor like many of us do so that rotors don't get stuck on? I regularly check my lugs and after every session on track. Just curious if the anti siege presents a concern to Tom at Core4
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in quickly and clarify something.

When I refer to using anti-seize lubricant it is only when you notice aluminum from the wheel nut seat areas galling onto the lug nut cone seat. So, I mean applying ONLY in the wheel nut seat areas OR on the cone seats of the lug nuts. Not needed to apply to both. One or the other, just a tiny dab of it, and only when you notice galling.

For dedicated race cars and/or heavily tracked dual purpose cars, I highly recommend NO anti-seize on the mating surfaces of rotor to hub, spacer to rotor, wheel to spacer/rotor.

You want maximum friction in between these surfaces, because this frictional interface is what is essentially resisting all the externally applied loads being put into each corner of the car. This is why the clamping force generated from the preloaded wheel studs/bolts is so important. More clamping force = more friction = more load bearing capability = more safety margin.

Achieving max friction is with bone dry, clean surfaces with absolutely zero coatings or externally applied lubricants. Putting lubricant on these mating surfaces decreases the coefficient of friction between them and increases the chances of these the components "slipping" relative to one another. When slipping occurs, even the tiniest amounts of it, it is a recipe for premature bending fatigue failure of wheel studs/bolts.

Now if you have a street car and drive it in the winter or crappy weather often, sure, a little bit anti-seize to prevent things getting stuck won't hurt since you're not putting the same loads on the street as you are on the track with sticky rubber. Or you can clean just clean everything when you know you're going to the track and reapply afterwards.

Hope that all makes sense.

-Tom from Core4

Last edited by gills; 09-09-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 7
slcook541863.00
rhyary1563.00
roastbeef11586.00
derbo3610.00
      09-19-2021, 06:36 AM   #27
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
per Core4 Technical page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in quickly and clarify something.

When I refer to using anti-seize lubricant it is only when you notice aluminum from the wheel nut seat areas galling onto the lug nut cone seat. So, I mean applying ONLY in the wheel nut seat areas OR on the cone seats of the lug nuts. Not needed to apply to both. One or the other, just a tiny dab of it, and only when you notice galling.

For dedicated race cars and/or heavily tracked dual purpose cars, I highly recommend NO anti-seize on the mating surfaces of rotor to hub, spacer to rotor, wheel to spacer/rotor.

You want maximum friction in between these surfaces, because this frictional interface is what is essentially resisting all the externally applied loads being put into each corner of the car. This is why the clamping force generated from the preloaded wheel studs/bolts is so important. More clamping force = more friction = more load bearing capability = more safety margin.

Achieving max friction is with bone dry, clean surfaces with absolutely zero coatings or externally applied lubricants. Putting lubricant on these mating surfaces decreases the coefficient of friction between them and increases the chances of these the components "slipping" relative to one another. When slipping occurs, even the tiniest amounts of it, it is a recipe for premature bending fatigue failure of wheel studs/bolts.

Now if you have a street car and drive it in the winter or crappy weather often, sure, a little bit anti-seize to prevent things getting stuck won't hurt since you're not putting the same loads on the street as you are on the track with sticky rubber. Or you can clean just clean everything when you know you're going to the track and reapply afterwards.

Hope that all makes sense.

-Tom from Core4
Core4 or bust! And since you didn't come here to plug your hubs I'll plug them for yah. I think everyone needs them 😂
gills83.00
      10-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #28
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

10/12/21 - Track Day #3

Prior to the event the car went through a series of changes including:

Titan TS-7 wheels, 18x10 et25
3DM Ohlins Track Day Kit - 450/800 springs
Michelin PS4S 275/35/18 all around
Core4 F80 hubs and new wheel bearings
Pinnacle undertray
360 GTS replica front lip
OEM CF spoiler
BMW Motorcycle Power Steering vent kit
Karbonius CF mirror covers

Titan7's have been my top choice for track wheels for a long time. They look like they came from the factory, provide 20+ lbs in weight savings and are strong as hell. Titan7 and EAS were both backordered, but I was able to find a set through Auto Talent.

I spoke to Barry at 3DM and we decided to run the Ohlins Track Day kit with Swift springs (450/800) considering the car is still driven on the streets of San Francisco. My shop gave me their middle of the road alignment at -2.5 degrees of camber up front. I’ll keep it there for the time being and experiment with the tire wear. A fresh set of PS4’s was also added.

Given my previous post, I reached out to Tom gills at Core4 to replace the hubs and wheel bearings. I went with the F80 hubs which are roughly 0.7lbs lighter per side and cost a slight premium. We went with the 14mm pressed-in MSI studs. Due to back-ups at MSI, Tom only had the longer 96mm studs in stock. I thought they might look odd given their length, but they look cool as hell. I’m happy to have this piece of the puzzle sorted. Thank you dogbone for the push. rhyary, Tom now recommends torquing the nuts to 130 ft/lbs for the 14mm studs.

I also had the shop install the BMW motorcycle power steering catch-can to allow the boiling fluid to vent to. Alex, Move Over pointed out that I still need to drill a hole in the top of the lid to help release pressure, otherwise the hose is prone to blowing off.

The Day Itself

This was my first time being out of the Novice group, which allowed me to run 5 full sessions. What a difference this makes. It allowed me to progressively build up more confidence through the day.

I like breaking hobbies into smaller goals, my only goal for the day was to stay flat over T1 and really stand on the AP kit going into the braking zone for T2. By the second session, I was flat and it felt amazing! I was still braking too early going into 2, but was happy to hit my goal early in the day.

One other adjustment I made was in T6. On my first two days, I was braking before the turn and downshifting to 3rd gear. After watching fsmtnbiker's video, I kept the car in 4th and tried to carry more momentum through the corner and get on the throttle earlier. I'm still leaving time on the table here, but it felt faster and smoother. I'm also not carrying enough speed through T9, I will focus more there next time.

I didn’t check my hot pressures until after my second session and realized I was at 42psi hot, despite letting out 5psi before the day started. I let out 6psi all around to end up at 36psi hot and the car felt significantly better. It is annoying that this triggers the TPMS, but whatever. I’ll likely start around 29/30 psi cold next time and see where that lands me.

It was also my first time out with the Ohlins, I elected to turn all the dials to full stiff and then back them out 5 clicks. This was a nice starting point.

Overall it was an amazing day. I will likely start timing myself the next time out to establish my baseline. For now the car is mostly done until I get an F80 M3 for weekend / baby hauling use. The only short term additions will be a Garmin Catalyst and the full Do88 kit. The next major overhaul will be getting weight out of the car. My plan will likely be a TCD half cage, fixed back seats with BK mounts, rear seat delete and Antigravity battery.

I also received my E88s this week after a 6 month wait. Thank you slicer . I’ll use that for my street setup, but they can double as a track setup in a pinch.

Issues

The car is making a weird ‘whoooosing’ sound on each interval of the wheel spinning. derbo was speculating that it could be the AP anti-knock back kit pushing against the pads, which seems to make sense. This was present after my last track day, so I can rule out the wheels and tires since those were all swapped out. I will have the shop investigate. I know the J hook rotors inherently have some sound to them, but I don’t think it’s that.

The exhaust is also sounding a bit farty. I think one of the exhaust donuts might also be on its way out. When the shop pulled the transmission a couple months ago, they reused the old donuts, which I suspect might be the culprit.

Other than that, it was a perfect day, the car performed phenomenally. Looking forward to the next Laguna day on 11/28

Last edited by slcook54; 10-24-2021 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 11
roastbeef11586.00
Davisca4552207.50
derbo3610.00
wyatth3548.50
SAMM3Y3085.00
redpriest2147.00
dogbone5354.50
///Mobbin1478.00
atopa2002202.50
DrFerry6728.50
      10-23-2021, 08:57 PM   #29
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Can't wait for 11/28
Appreciate 3
slcook541863.00
Davisca4552207.50
SAMM3Y3085.00
      10-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #30
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Looks great! Glad to see you make a journal.

Don't have too much fun without me!
derbo3610.00
      10-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #31
E34nication
Private
Rep
Drives: 964/991/D90/G55/LX570

Really beautiful/nicely set up car. Well done.
      10-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #32
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Looks great! Glad to see you make a journal.

Don't have too much fun without me!
We are waiting for you come out to Laguna
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      10-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #33
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Other than that, it was a perfect day, the car performed phenomenally. Looking forward to the next Laguna day on 11/28
Looking great! Nice update.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      10-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #34
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Great update can't wait to see the beast in action!
      10-26-2021, 12:31 AM   #35
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i know you're not timing yet, but how much faster did the car feel? was that big jump in performance overwhelming at all?

thats one of the things i'm most excited about experiencing when i return to the track- the huge leap in performance.
      10-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #36
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
I didn’t check my hot pressures until after my second session and realized I was at 42psi hot, despite letting out 5psi before the day started. I let out 6psi all around to end up at 36psi hot and the car felt significantly better. It is annoying that this triggers the TPMS, but whatever. I’ll likely start around 29/30 psi cold next time and see where that lands me.
Our setups are incredibly similar, congrats on getting so much sorted at once!!

Wanted to also mention that many of us have solved the TPMS issue by coding TPMS off, unplugging/pulling the TPMS module, and then you can also code on something called FTM or "Flat Tire Monitor" that will still detect pressure loss using the wheel speed sensors (one tire slipping more than others), since you are lowering the pressure on all the tires together FTM doesn't go off for me at the track.

derbo has a good DIY on this LINK
roastbeef11586.00
derbo3610.00
      10-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #37
slcook54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i know you're not timing yet, but how much faster did the car feel? was that big jump in performance overwhelming at all?

thats one of the things i'm most excited about experiencing when i return to the track- the huge leap in performance.
Honestly it's very hard to discern, so much changed so fast and I'm new to this hobby, so I'm still soaking it all in. Driver mod is the main area that I'm focused on but I decided to sort out a couple big areas up front to make it a 'reliable' setup. I'm not using all the AP kit has to offer or fully exploiting the Ohlins. It's also hard to compare anything without data or times, but I'm happy to have created my arrive and drive setup, the rest is just icing on the cake now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post

Wanted to also mention that many of us have solved the TPMS issue by coding TPMS off, unplugging/pulling the TPMS module, and then you can also code on something called FTM or "Flat Tire Monitor" that will still detect pressure loss using the wheel speed sensors (one tire slipping more than others), since you are lowering the pressure on all the tires together FTM doesn't go off for me at the track.

Awesome! Didn't know that, I'll bug Derek.

Last edited by slcook54; 10-26-2021 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
///Mobbin1478.00
roastbeef11586.00
derbo3610.00
      10-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #38
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post

and I'm local too
Appreciate 3
slcook541863.00
///Mobbin1478.00
//steve\\1074.00
      11-15-2021, 01:39 AM   #39
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Hot. Sauce.

Appreciate 8
roastbeef11586.00
slcook541863.00
Kelse921131.50
Davisca4552207.50
derbo3610.00
SAMM3Y3085.00
DrFerry6728.50
      11-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #40
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

need some side profile pics please
Slow Build
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      11-16-2021, 06:16 PM   #41
slcook54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClutch888 View Post
need some side profile pics please
A couple quick ones
Attached Images

roastbeef11586.00
911r891.00
SAMM3Y3085.00
wyatth3548.50
derbo3610.00
DrFerry6728.50
      11-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #42
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

thats a damn pretty car right there.
DrFerry6728.50
      11-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #43
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

It could give more information on how to install the power steering seal on the BMW motorcycle to allow the boiling liquid to vent. Or is there any DIY in the forum about this?

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #44
slcook54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochen_00 View Post
It could give more information on how to install the power steering seal on the BMW motorcycle to allow the boiling liquid to vent. Or is there any DIY in the forum about this?
There isn't much to DIY. You just run a line to a small BMW motorcycle catch can. My shop charged me $48 with parts.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...8#post26986118
Rochen_00349.50