BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #859
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Wow!!!
Looks like PMP.

Is he on this forum?

A few things I saw:

1) seating position appears to be spot on.

2) fast hands -- slow hands when things go right, fast hands when things go wrong. This guy nailed it.

3) eyes are always looking at the empty spaces. I guarantee a novice stares at the walls and gets an up close and personal view.

Properly good job here.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #860
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

It is time to write some progress on our 2022 Winter projects.

I was hesitant to write status because I do not want to start a flaming comments about what I should or shouldn't do. But at the end, I believe that sharing is more important then individual opinions on the shared information.

So those just reading my posts for the first time, my car is road legal, driven to and from the track, and does about 30 trackdays a year. Some trackdays are open trackday with lots of track time.

In 2021 my results were not spectacular, but with mixed tires and focusing on my driving objectives I was satisfied. As you will read below, it may not be bad at all.

beginning of 2021 was rough. I tried a 1100 spring on the rear and fought oversteering. Finally I oversteered off the track (low speed) but damaged the front RKP splitter and the radiator support brackets. I reinstalled the 1000.

ACM cobbled something together for me to continue but the radiators were moving back and forth and under trackday conditions the radiator hose was cut by the belt and I barely made it home. on two different trackdays and a more permanent solution was needed.

ACM replaced the RKP with cheap version to get the year finished and new brackets stabilized the front.

But the car was overheating. ACM took the front apart again and replaced clogged intercooler and cleaned the other radiators. The main do88 radiator had a tiny leak and it was replaced.

Mid season the car was no longer overheating but I had no cabin heat. which was ok until the fall. In addition the car had a weird behavior. On the way to the track it would overheat and clear itself up and no issues on the track.

Another peculiar behavior was that the front potentiometer was registering 250mm/sec movement regardless of the shock control.

APR 71" wing was very helpful but needed extreme AOA for me to feel the rear planted, for more that 10* relative to ground it register very little effect on top speed and no noticeable downforce. At 15* it was doing something beneficial, and was very reassuring at the last right turn at LRP over 90mph. But this was too much AOA.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:51 AM   #861
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

2020 HPDE season

Some changes to 2022.

The front is getting a Zebulon splitter with tunnels end plates. Since the temp splitter had to be replaced anyway.

If you give a mouse a cookie, he would ask for milk.

Since the Zeb was going on the front, I ordered a Zeb wing to match the front. it took two months of soul searching but I couldn't resist.

The APR wing is for sale
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      01-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #862
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

JRZ Rebuilt

I sent the JRZ shocks for rebuilt. I am glad I did.

The front compression shim was broken on the shaft
The rear rebound shim was broken too.

The JRZ have one rebound control on the shaft and three compression controls - HS and LS on the remote canister and medium speed on the shaft.

So I don't know how long I was driving with broken shims, but the shocks are being rebuilt with thicker shims and 30 trackdays a season in mind.

This should not be reoccurring going forward.

Given every thing, my results this year were ok:
60sec at LRP
1:48sec at PMP
2:08 at WGI
1:36 at NYST

None of the above were with front slicks and some were with Toyo RR DOT slicks on the rear.

I think 2022 will be a fabulous year with some of the fixing/improvements
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #863
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cabin Heat.
ACM flushed the system multiple time to avoid taking the deck a part to investigate the heat core.

Luckily, at some point scaling and calcification got dislodged and the system returned to normal operation.

This could be a results of us trying to deal with overheating and using water wetter. I don't know. With do88 radiators I am going to stick to BMW coolant and distilled water.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #864
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Some changes to 2022.

The front is getting a Zebulon splitter with tunnels end plates. Since the temp splitter had to be replaced anyway.

If you give a mouse a cookie, he would ask for milk.

Since the Zeb was going on the front, I ordered a Zeb wing to match the front. it took two months of soul searching but I couldn't resist.

The APR wing is for sale
What is the splitter length off the front? 5", 6"? You got the tunnels, are you going to add vented fenders? Are you reuse the chassis mount for the wing?

Excited for you!
      01-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #865
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wanted a shortest possible splitter that still make downforce. Ryan at Zeb designed a 4" and together with the end tunnels it will produce downforce and still be able to drive on the street.

it is a compromise. I may not win a time attack competition. Although that could be for the same reason I don't win the lottery.

Not cutting the fenders
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      01-08-2022, 11:17 AM   #866
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The Zeb wing is going on the existing Hard mounts. After back and forth I got Zeb and Hard connected to make sure the wing bracket work with the Hard mount.

It took dedication to the cause to make this happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:18 AM   #867
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
I wanted a shortest possible splitter that still make downforce. Ryan at Zeb designed a 4" and together with the end tunnels it will produce downforce and still be able to drive on the street.

it is a compromise. I may not win a time attack completion. Although that could be for the same reason I don't win the lottery.

Not cutting the fenders
If you're not venting fenders, what's the logic on the tunnels? Ryan didn't turn you away from these?
      01-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #868
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:

it is a compromise. I may not win a time attack completion. Although that could be for the same reason I don't win the lottery.

Not cutting the fenders
If you're not venting fenders, what's the logic on the tunnels? Ryan didn't turn you away from these?
Can always cut the fenders next year.

the tunnels look fast so that would be enough for this year
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #869
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not cutting the fenders
This is Ryan explanation as reported by dogbone. I don't see venting fenders.

Ryan was explaining a bit how they work. As air comes into the end fence, the various surface features of it capture the air and create vortices that in essence seal off the side of the splitter so that air doesn't enter the main body of the splitter from the side. By doing that, it makes the splitter more efficient because the air moving front to back isn't fighting wind from the side, and air slips more easily under the car straight back. That's also what side skirts are supposed to do. They capture the air that could potentially enter from the sides of the car so that the air going straight back isn't interrupted. These are not enormous changes. They all work together in varying degrees to make the aero aspect of the car more efficient.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:50 AM   #870
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not cutting the fenders
This is Ryan explanation as reported by dogbone. I don't see venting fenders.

Ryan was explaining a bit how they work. As air comes into the end fence, the various surface features of it capture the air and create vortices that in essence seal off the side of the splitter so that air doesn't enter the main body of the splitter from the side. By doing that, it makes the splitter more efficient because the air moving front to back isn't fighting wind from the side, and air slips more easily under the car straight back. That's also what side skirts are supposed to do. They capture the air that could potentially enter from the sides of the car so that the air going straight back isn't interrupted. These are not enormous changes. They all work together in varying degrees to make the aero aspect of the car more efficient.
Sure, that's end fences. Not the intent for the tunnels which logically need vented fenders to properly function. I'm not saying it's a bad move if you're going to eventually vent them because no sense sending the splitter back to get the tunnels added later.

But I spoke with Ryan about it when I had my splitter made. Until I had vented fenders he strongly recommended no tunnels. But I'm local and going to have them added this spring once I install the vented fenders I have sitting in my garage.
      01-09-2022, 10:29 PM   #871
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ryan from Zebulon was kind enough to clarify the terminology. I am getting the tunneled endfence which have nothing to do with the vented fenders

His description:

the tunneled endfences generate both their own downforce due to their shape, and help seal the edge of the splitter by generating and trapping vorticies, which increases the downforce the splitter generates as well. 
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #872
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Ryan from Zebulon was kind enough to clarify the terminology. I am getting the tunneled endfence which have nothing to do with the vented fenders

His description:

the tunneled endfences generate both their own downforce due to their shape, and help seal the edge of the splitter by generating and trapping vorticies, which increases the downforce the splitter generates as well. 
That makes sense.
      01-10-2022, 08:19 AM   #873
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I need volunteers with AIM devices connected to the E92 CAN bus.

We (definition below) got the DCT Temperature working in AIM devices. ///Mobbin !!!

All credit goes to MaxxECU from Sweden.
@///Mobbin found him somehow
MaxxECU volunteered the byte location
I harassed some people but finally reached out to AIM in Italy via email to support per Trailbrake (Matt) suggestion
Stefen from AIM sent me a test BMW_PT6 ECU profile that adds channel CC36 DCT temp
(The original CC05 DCT TMP is still not working)

I added the new profile and sent the Solo2DL exported profile with the test ECU to @///Mobbin

And we got DCT Temp. @///Mobbin can upload a picture.

Now, I need volunteers.
Please export you configuration and sent it to rhyary@gmail.com.

I will edit your configuration and send it back to you.
Import what I send you and deploy to your device
I will add a page to your config with the DCT Temp displayed.

Please confirm that it is working so I can report to AIM

It will be good if we can get other AIM devices in addition to Solo2 DL
Appreciate 5
///Mobbin1478.00
DRLane3988.50
Bartledoo2691.50
derbo3610.00
redpriest2147.00
      01-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #874
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

DCT Temp wooo!!!
Attached Images

01-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #875
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I can also send a config file for just testing the DCT Temp. In that case, I don't need from you your config file. Only what device you have.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #876
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

a Solo2DL config file is ready for testing the:
DCT Temp
DSC Status
Drive shaft speed.

The profile has only one display page showing the three partners and GPS Speed.

This allows 6MT to also participate because the Dynamic Stability Control and the Drive shaft speed should work in both transmission.

Send an email to rhyary@gmail.com or a private message with your email. If you need help with RS3 to participate in the testing, I am happy to help

you AIM device needs to be connected to the CAN bus. We are not yet testing the OBDII protocol.

Other devices than Solo2DL are welcomed. Just let me know what you have
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      01-10-2022, 10:46 AM   #877
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

What does "DSC status" show? Is it just an on/off (indicating when it is intervening)? Does it show you DSC vs TCS?
      01-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #878
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

rhyary does 6MT have transmission temps?

I have a 6MT with CANBUS AIM Solo2 DL.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:44 PM   #879
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post

I don't know. DRLane is testing 6MT when ever he gets his car running.

My hope for DSC Status was to get data when the DSC is active, but I am afraid it may just tell me when the button is on or off (not useful)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #880
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post

I don't know. DRLane is testing 6MT when ever he gets his car running.

My hope for DSC Status was to get data when the DSC is active, but I am afraid it may just tell me when the button is on or off (not useful)
On track I run DSC off. I don't have M button anymore so I can't test for MDM mode on the steer. But happy to push with DSC on and see what it gathers?

Hoping to head to shop this week!