BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Had a very similar experience to you when I went for a quick drive in my friend's E60 M5 6MT. Super special engine, but at the end of the day, the driving experience was "kind of" similar to the S65. I just wasn't willing to deal with more mechanical headaches, although the prices I see are super temping.

At the end of the day, I decided to skip on the V10 as I'm happy enough with my S65 (still stock intake system too). I've since added a Z4M Roadster which is a great compliment to the car due to S54 and top down. Up next to add will be either an F87 or G87, and I'll be done with the ICE chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Finally went to test drive an E60 M5. As expected the V10 dominates the experience. I've never driven a more Jeckyl & Hyde car - in 400hp mode and D2, the car is so lazy. Engine is slow to respond, upshifts take an eternity. Press the M Button to engage 500hp and S5 however, and it's like the you've just unleashed the hounds of hell under the hood. The difference is night and day. The car I drove had a Hartge exhaust and sounded great, but surprisingly not as huge of a difference compared to my FBO M3. I guess you really need straight pipes to hear the V10 scream.

In the end tho, the S85 wasn't enough of a difference over the S65 for me to justify a purchase. Steering feel was much more numb than the M3. EDC I felt didn't gel with the car - it was either way too wallowy in Comfort or way too overdamped in Sport. Coming from DCT, the SMG really does show its age. You need to really have it in S5 and full throttle upshifts to get any smoothness out of it but that's what I have the M3 for. So as a cruiser, the M5 is slightly flawed. The thing that got me the most tho, was the size and weight of the car. I didn't expect the near 2 ton weight to bother me so much but it did. I guess I'm just not a fan of big cars.

Stepping out from the M5 back into my M3, I felt that the M3 was so much easier to drive. No need to fidget with M buttons to get the engine response you want; perfect damping from the Ohlins R/T; and just basically a smaller and more nimble package. I know it's not fair to compare a stock M5 to a built M3, but I know if both were in my garage I would drive the M3 99% of the time. If used as a 2nd car, the M5 isn't a car you can neglect for long periods of time and then just start it and drive and not expect any issues.

I really wanted to like the E60 M5, I truly did. It was even a near perfect used unit too - MY2007 with 110k kms, Sepang Bronze with red extended leather and every option checked. Full service history and all maintenance done with solenoids, coils, dampers, and new engine and gearbox all within the last one year. But I guess I was just too spoiled by my M3.

Guess I'll look at R8's for my V10 fix.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

DCT conversion. They have been put in many cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:53 PM   #25
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
DCT conversion. They have been put in many cars.
And yet nobody has 100% pulled it off in an e60 m5 yet. If there was a straight forward conversion path, I'm sure the landfills would be filled with SMGs.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #26
Matthew_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Recently I've been thinking about getting an E60 M5 to keep the M3 company. I love the S65 to bits but I've done enough mods to the M3 that it's become borderline 'hardcore' - amazing fun to drive in the hills or track, but just a little bit tiring for daily use. So I thought of getting an M5 V10 for the days when I want a bit more lux motoring. The M3 will still be my main daily, and the M5 will be there for when I feel like a change of scenery.

I've looking for anyone who has owned an E60 M5 to share their experience. Even better if they have owned it at the same time as the E9x M3. For the M5, I would be looking for a MY2007+ and will be keeping it stock standard (fingers and toes crossed).

The specific questions I have are:
1. Is the E60 M5 similar enough to the E9x M3 that I would be silly to get two cars that are basically the same driving experience?

2. I'm not too worried about throttle actuators, rod bearings or SMG3, but VANOS failure concerns me. I know they updated the VANOS pump in MY2007+. Is the new VANOS pump basically bulletproof, or does it still fail but at a lower rate?

3. How many miles should I expect from the SMG3 clutch?

Any advice/feedback will be appreciated.
My dad has a 2008 E60 M5. Hes owned it since 2010 and bought it with 25k miles. It now has 77k miles. Hes done a total of $3200 maintenance since he bought it. However, he will be getting a lot of work done next month, including rod bearings. The car is great, definitely drives different from an E9X. Feels like it has a lot more power up top and is a great road trip car. Very very comfortable. Trans is okay, not great but not as bad as people make it out to be. Had only one issue where a wire that ran over the top of the trans melted sitting in traffic on a 120 degree day. Hes had no VANOS issues or throttle actuator issues. Again, hes doing his bearings soon so that will be resolved

Reliability will depends on how the maintenance is and how the car was driven by its past owners. Beat ones will drain your wallet. A few choice mods take the car to a new level. Id do it.
Appreciate 0