BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

06-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #23
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
-1.5 is fine for 'spirited street driving', but that is not the same thing as the track.

If you track you need something that can go to -2.5/-3 up front. There really isn't a way around it. Camber plates allow you to achieve this
Seems to me that lower and firmer isn't always better, maybe it aids in confidence and perception of 'sportiness'. I had talked to a driver who said that one of his best upgrades was a full harness, not having to tense up and brace for corners allowed him to feel the chassis better and think more about his handling, and he said that he realized that the body swaying sometimes allowed for better handling.

On my EDC, I find that there is a very noticeable difference in each of the settings, but only when slung around a corner.

Now that I'm a few days out after pulling the pins and moving the struts from their most positive position to their most negative position, the car chirps a lot less and provides more progressive feedback, I find it harder to get to the steering angle that causes me to lose the front end to the point where I have to reduce steering angle to thread some grip back in.

I'm heading back to Streets on the 27th of July for a night session. I got beat by a track prepped Kia Soul last time, and that doesn't feel great. On a mission to get down to 1:33 or maybe even 1:32.

Seems like camber plates wouldn't add much NVH either. Takes a solid chunk of metal and replaces it with two articulating plates.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/produ...nt=35927809347

Edit: might want to do this kit.

Last edited by chocstraw; 06-11-2019 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #24
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

A "street" style camber plate shouldn't add too much NVH as the spherical top sits on a urethane cup bushing but you'll definitely notice it, a "race" metal on metal style will be rough for dailying...
      06-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #25
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocstraw View Post
Seems to me that lower and firmer isn't always better, maybe it aids in confidence and perception of 'sportiness'. I had talked to a driver who said that one of his best upgrades was a full harness, not having to tense up and brace for corners allowed him to feel the chassis better and think more about his handling, and he said that he realized that the body swaying sometimes allowed for better handling.

On my EDC, I find that there is a very noticeable difference in each of the settings, but only when slung around a corner.

Now that I'm a few days out after pulling the pins and moving the struts from their most positive position to their most negative position, the car chirps a lot less and provides more progressive feedback, I find it harder to get to the steering angle that causes me to lose the front end to the point where I have to reduce steering angle to thread some grip back in.

I'm heading back to Streets on the 27th of July for a night session. I got beat by a track prepped Kia Soul last time, and that doesn't feel great. On a mission to get down to 1:33 or maybe even 1:32.

Seems like camber plates wouldn't add much NVH either. Takes a solid chunk of metal and replaces it with two articulating plates.

don't get that kit. i've tracked a few times on five different socal tracks. streets is bumpy and the edc shocks don't have the dampening to keep up. they just aren't fast enough. sure, you can make it work, i have been making it work for years.
i have the ground control street plates with edc. streets of willow is a bumpy track, try using the comfort setting- you'll be faster. it will be less bumpy and you'll have better contact with softer suspension and control will be greater. you'll still benefit from edc because it is adaptive in the leaning corners. it just does a poor job of dampening adjustment over sudden bumps and imperfections on the track. if anything, it forces you to become a smoother driver if you are going to tolerate it at the track.
my e92 with camber plates and brakes did a 1:28 at streets with nt01 tires. no other significant mods.
if you're just getting into this, get the camber plates to save the outside edges of the tires, but track it as-is for a little bit. as you progress, you'll know what the car needs and why. aside from budget constraints, this is why i've been on edc for so long, and it has been beneficial- i reached the limits of edc at a few tracks and know its not my own shortcomings as a driver.

Last edited by roastbeef; 06-12-2019 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocstraw View Post

For sure harder is not always better, especially if you're bouncing around in the car.

The QuickFit Pro is, I feel, an essential upgrade. It holds you much better and you can dedicate your efforts to driving vs holding yourself in the seat.

I would only add camber plates and track it like that for a while. It forces you to be smooth and you'll become a better driver
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      06-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #27
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
if you're just getting into this, get the camber plates to save the outside edges of the tires, but track it as-is for a little bit. as you progress, you'll know what the car needs and why. aside from budget constraints, this is why i've been on edc for so long, and it has been beneficial- i reached the limits of edc at a few tracks and know its not my own shortcomings as a driver.
Definitely agree.

At the Glen I have some pretty good times with the EDC suspension and street tires. Others spend lots of money upgrading suspension and components, lightening, upgrading cars... and put down slower times
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #28
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

The stock suspension is perfect for the street, but a touch wallowy and slow to react on track in my opinion. Doesn't mean its not fast though. Regardless of what coil overs you choose I think they will make the car significantly more satisfying to drive, it feels more like an actual sports car rather than a GT.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #29
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
+1 for the quick fit pros. I tried the ol' tilt the seat forward after pre-tensioning the 3pt trick last Wednesday at the track, and I immediately ordered the QFP's when I got home because the difference was so big with just that ghetto trick. They are already installed in my car.