BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-23-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Coilover and Wheel Clearance

So my EDC system decided to die, and the replacement module decided to not work either. At this point, I think I'm just gonna gut the system and replace with a coilover. I'm really interested in the ST XTA, since it seems to be good bang for the buck system.

My concern is with my front wheels, which are 18x10 Apex EC-7s (ET25) with 275/35 PS4S. With stock struts I have mms of clearance, and from what I've read, a lot of coilovers (in particular the KW clubsport, which seems to share a similar front spring setup) place the perch in line with the tire, and eliminates all of the clearance. My thoughts are this will require a 5mm spacer to make it work. Is anyone familiar with different coilovers and the wheel clearance offered by them? Will a spacer be necessary?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I just installed a set of ST XTAs, very happy with them thus far. I haven't had any issues with my 245/19/35s or my 255/20/30s. I could try to take some clearance measurements for you between the tire and the struts if I can get under there without jacking the car up, although since I've lowered the car it's fairly tight. The XTAs struts are a much smaller diameter then the oem struts but as you would guess the adjustable perch beneath the spring sits much lower then oem. See the attached pic.

Just went out and tried to grab a pic of the clearance and it'll be close. Wheels are 20x9.5 ET 22 wrapped in 255/30. Tried to get a measurement I have about 5mm of clearance. See another attached pic of the barrel and perch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the images. Considering I can barely get a pinky between my tire and the stock strut, I feel like the collar will necessitate the small spacer. Pretty much lines the collar up in the same space as the clubsports.

Any feedback on ride and performance? Only seen one review, which was very positive.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
Thanks for the images. Considering I can barely get a pinky between my tire and the stock strut, I feel like the collar will necessitate the small spacer. Pretty much lines the collar up in the same space as the clubsports.

Any feedback on ride and performance? Only seen one review, which was very positive.
I'm a big fan so far. You need to have some expectations going in, the car never is going to ride as well as it did with EDC. That said I wasn't the biggest fan of EDC, without engaging the dampers the ride was too floaty for me. Didn't want to tighten up the suspension every time I wanted to barrel into a corner. With the XTAs I have the struts set to 8 in the front and 7 in the rear, basically half way between hard and soft. The ride is still very comfortable (not as comfortable), and I don't experience much body roll at all when I'm tuckin in. The ride was better with my 35 tires, now on my rubber band 30s it's a little rougher, but I chalk that up to the tires not the suspension. Still very bearable, and for me aesthetics are a little more important then quality of ride. The amount of drop that they provide is more then enough to delete the gab between my tires and the fender. Haven't experienced any odd noises, so far so good!

Adjustability is very very easy. You can adjust the camber right at the top with the turn of a few bolts. They provide a wrench for the collar, but you don't even need it. The front collar has a 2mm hex set screw that you can tighten/loosen with the rebound knob they provide. After loosening the set screw you can just reach right in and adjust the spring length right there. Rebound is easy to adjust at the top of each strut. It's obviously easier to adjust the front struts since the rear is covered by the trunk liner. My recommendation would be to start at their recommended setting of 7 in the rear, drive it, and adjust prior to putting your trunk liner back in place.

For the install just don't be an idiot like me and remember that they provide different sway bar end links, they're beneath the struts in the package. I sat there for like a half hour trying to get my oem end links to align to the strut, but they bottomed out on the control arm. I was thinking "no fucking way are these suppose to fit", I was right, checked the package and there were the ST sway bar end links lmao.

Let me know if you have any other question man.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the review, will probably pick some up and install them in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0