BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Chris_PDX
First Lieutenant
187
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Major US City with multiple tracks nearby

Preferably somewhere that you could possibly run year round.

Let's assume you were moving and could live anywhere. I work from home and can do my job from anywhere. I'm the primary breadwinner, only caveat would be somewhere with a decently sized national airport.

Obviously this is going to skew more towards the SW or SE if we're talking year round track days, but let's assume that's not a hard requirement, more-so looking for a variety of track options within ~3 hours driving.

What say you, track nerds? Where would you live? Also, Portland, OR is excluded :P
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
kpewpew
Major
kpewpew's Avatar
United_States
624
Rep
1,108
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

SF Bay Area:
Laguna Seca
Sonoma raceway
Thunderhill east and west.

Track days all year
__________________
2011 AW E92 M3 | DCT/Comp/Prem/Tech/CF roof
Rotora BBK 6p/380mm + 4p/355mm | APEX EC-7 NT01 & SM-10 MPSS | JRZ RS One & Hyperco 550/800 | Dinan front sway bar & FCAB monoballs | GTS lip & wing | Bomiz valvetronic muffler | ESS ECU tune | GTS DCT tune | Slon Workshop DCT pan | Recaro PP
Appreciate 1
MPower773.00

      05-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
derbo
Keeper of Blinky Lights
derbo's Avatar
United_States
1017
Rep
1,210
Posts

Drives: Beluga Whale
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
SF Bay Area:
Laguna Seca
Sonoma raceway
Thunderhill east and west.

Track days all year

Don't forget that Buttonwillow is about a 4hr drive south too.
__________________
-Derek
IG: @ruhrohz_m3
E90 OEM+| MCS | BBS
Appreciate 1
kpewpew623.50

      05-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
FuzzyPeaches's Avatar
201
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Atlanta:
Road Atlanta
Atlanta Motorsports Park
Roebling Road (Just over 4 hours)
Barber
Carolina Motorsports Park (<5 hours)
NCM (<5 hours)
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
dparm's Avatar
United_States
2209
Rep
7,153
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Chicago is another tough one to beat, as it has multiple tracks within 3 hours. Problem is that you realistically only get early May through mid-October to drive. There are events in April but they can get canceled due to weather, like when Road America got several inches of snow...in late April.

Autobahn Country Club (this is really 3 tracks)
Road America
GingerMan (this is 2 tracks since it can be run in reverse)
Grattan
Putnam Park
Blackhawk Farms
Milwaukee Mile

If you push that radius to 6 hours, it adds:

Mid-Ohio
NCM Park
M1 Concourse
Waterford Hills
PittRace
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP

Last edited by dparm; 05-17-2019 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
Chris_PDX187.00
Ngilbe36425.50

      05-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
dparm's Avatar
United_States
2209
Rep
7,153
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

I recently moved to Dallas and the selection here is actually pretty good, and you get track days about 10.5 months out of the year (July/August are iffy, and a lot of track use late Dec/early Jan to do their resurfacing and construction). Here's what's within 3 hours:

Circuit of the Americas
Motorsport Ranch Cresson (this is really 4 tracks)
Motorsport Ranch Houston (also multiple tracks)
Eagle's Canyon (re-opening soon)
Hallett Motor Racing Circuit
Harris Hill
LG Motorsports Park (opening next year)
Texas Motor Speedway


I'm anxious for Eagle's Canyon to re-open, and to see what Lou does with LG Motorsports Park just north of Dallas. COTA is incredible and I love doing it, but the $500/day price ($400 if you do multi-day events) is tough to swallow when you also factor in hotel and such. Still, being able to drive on an actual Formula 1 track is quite humbling.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 1
Chris_PDX187.00

      05-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #7
cvstar9M3
Captain
cvstar9M3's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
900
Posts

Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Boston! Tracks in MA (1) Connecticut (2 I believe), NH (at least 3 that I know of)
__________________
2011 MR e90ZCP, 6-mt
2011.75 e90 M3 ZCP, DCT, ZP2, ZCV, JB w/ 2Toned FoxRed/Black Interior - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
macdude357
Captain
macdude357's Avatar
373
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: IB E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (6)

SoCal has:

Buttonwillow
Willow Springs
Streets of Willow
Auto Club Speedway
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
Thermal (private club though)

all within about 3 hours. If you extend it out to 4-5 hours, you could also include:
Spring Mountain
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Likely whatever tracks are in the west side of Arizona as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
5755
Rep
9,637
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

It's hard to recommend that people move to California, but we do have the best tracks and activities here.
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 2
Chris_PDX187.00
SYT_Shadow3561.00

      05-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
derbo
Keeper of Blinky Lights
derbo's Avatar
United_States
1017
Rep
1,210
Posts

Drives: Beluga Whale
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
It's hard to recommend that people move to California, but we do have the best tracks and activities here.
There is enough people here to deal with.
__________________
-Derek
IG: @ruhrohz_m3
E90 OEM+| MCS | BBS
Appreciate 1
MPower773.00

      05-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
36
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: 2006 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Washington DC Metro area:

Summit Point - 3 tracks: ~1 hour
NJMP - 2 tracks: 3 hours
Watkins Glen: 5 hours
VIR: 4.5 hours
Lime Rock: 6 hours
Dominion Raceway: 1.5-2 hours
Pocono Raceway: ~3 hours
Pittsburgh International Raceway: 3 hours

There are a few more track: NYST, Monticello (open occasionally).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
Kelse92
Member
United_States
93
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I recently moved to Dallas and the selection here is actually pretty good, and you get track days about 10.5 months out of the year (July/August are iffy, and a lot of track use late Dec/early Jan to do their resurfacing and construction). Here's what's within 3 hours:

Circuit of the Americas
Motorsport Ranch Cresson (this is really 4 tracks)
Motorsport Ranch Houston (also multiple tracks)
Eagle's Canyon (re-opening soon)
Hallett Motor Racing Circuit
Harris Hill
LG Motorsports Park (opening next year)
Texas Motor Speedway


I'm anxious for Eagle's Canyon to re-open, and to see what Lou does with LG Motorsports Park just north of Dallas. COTA is incredible and I love doing it, but the $500/day price ($400 if you do multi-day events) is tough to swallow when you also factor in hotel and such. Still, being able to drive on an actual Formula 1 track is quite humbling.

Definitely seconding the Dallas, our options here are awesome! And all within very reasonable distances!

Also, the cost of living and homeownership here is MUCH lower than most places on this list
__________________

#ladydriven
Appreciate 1
Scrippy739.00

      05-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
SFCM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1001
Rep
1,566
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
It's hard to recommend that people move to California, but we do have the best tracks and activities here.
I would probably recommend socal over norcal bay area. The cost of living up here is stupid, unless you make about $300k+, then its ok. I am probably the lowest income person in San Francisco, and being here is stupid. Once my ties to this place are gone, i am gone as well.
__________________
I am never able to post pictures on forums, all my pics are on IG @baye30 https://www.instagram.com/baye30/
Current Garage - [2011 E90 M3 ZCP] [2005 E53 X5 3.0 Sport] [1988 E30 325IS 24V]
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #14
PKL
Colonel
PKL's Avatar
335
Rep
2,922
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (1)

LOS ANGELES is the only choice.

As someone else said, the cost of living in the bay area is fucking stupid. Lived their with my wife for 2 years, no kids, earning over $200k combined and it was not nearly enough
__________________
2011.75 E92 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
dparm's Avatar
United_States
2209
Rep
7,153
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Also, the cost of living and homeownership here is MUCH lower than most places on this list

Honestly, that is one of the biggest reasons I moved down here. Versus downtown Chicago, or even the Chicago suburbs, it's a lot cheaper and not dealing with winter was great.

We've got pretty good roads, too, so my car isn't getting completely beat to shit.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
5755
Rep
9,637
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
I would probably recommend socal over norcal bay area. The cost of living up here is stupid, unless you make about $300k+, then its ok. I am probably the lowest income person in San Francisco, and being here is stupid. Once my ties to this place are gone, i am gone as well.
i wouldn't mind living in the carmel area. its on my radar for retirement. its not ridiculous, but plan on making $150k+ if you want to be comfortable. sounds ridiculous even saying that.
i'm more interested in carmel valley. you could buy a plot of land and have a custom home built. something like 1,700sqft with a six car garage. lol
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #17
mapster37
Second Lieutenant
72
Rep
214
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Davie

iTrader: (0)

South Florida, Miami international is a large airport.
Homestead
Palm Beach International Raceway(PBIR)
2-3hrs north the famous Sebring Racetrack
5 hours north Daytona
May even be a track in the Tampa area, not sure though....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #18
SFCM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1001
Rep
1,566
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i wouldn't mind living in the carmel area. its on my radar for retirement. its not ridiculous, but plan on making $150k+ if you want to be comfortable. sounds ridiculous even saying that.
i'm more interested in carmel valley. you could buy a plot of land and have a custom home built. something like 1,700sqft with a six car garage. lol
that sounds awesome. im giving myself 2 more years up here is a can hack it, if my plan doesnt pan out im looking for a new state.
__________________
I am never able to post pictures on forums, all my pics are on IG @baye30 https://www.instagram.com/baye30/
Current Garage - [2011 E90 M3 ZCP] [2005 E53 X5 3.0 Sport] [1988 E30 325IS 24V]
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #19
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
5755
Rep
9,637
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
that sounds awesome. im giving myself 2 more years up here is a can hack it, if my plan doesnt pan out im looking for a new state.
ever been? take a drive around there and have dinner one of these days. its pretty nice.
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #20
Kelse92
Member
United_States
93
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Honestly, that is one of the biggest reasons I moved down here. Versus downtown Chicago, or even the Chicago suburbs, it's a lot cheaper and not dealing with winter was great.

We've got pretty good roads, too, so my car isn't getting completely beat to shit.
Haha exactly! Iím near downtown, so canít say the same necessarily about the roads. But everything else is great. Canít beat the home prices, Iíve got clients moving here in droves from California.
__________________

#ladydriven
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #21
kpewpew
Major
kpewpew's Avatar
United_States
624
Rep
1,108
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
LOS ANGELES is the only choice.

As someone else said, the cost of living in the bay area is fucking stupid. Lived their with my wife for 2 years, no kids, earning over $200k combined and it was not nearly enough
Can confirm, even if one has ~$200k total comp as a single person it is ruff. Would probably need ~$350-500k total comp to really be "comfortable" - meaning a life of owning a nice condo of relatively new construction in downtown, having 2 cars, one tracked heavily and one daily, and a full normal life of comfort in food, nice things, etc.
__________________
2011 AW E92 M3 | DCT/Comp/Prem/Tech/CF roof
Rotora BBK 6p/380mm + 4p/355mm | APEX EC-7 NT01 & SM-10 MPSS | JRZ RS One & Hyperco 550/800 | Dinan front sway bar & FCAB monoballs | GTS lip & wing | Bomiz valvetronic muffler | ESS ECU tune | GTS DCT tune | Slon Workshop DCT pan | Recaro PP
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #22
Chris_PDX
First Lieutenant
187
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Can confirm, even if one has ~$200k total comp as a single person it is ruff. Would probably need ~$350-500k total comp to really be "comfortable" - meaning a life of owning a nice condo of relatively new construction in downtown, having 2 cars, one tracked heavily and one daily, and a full normal life of comfort in food, nice things, etc.
We're in that range, but my salary is 3.5x more than my wife's currently. And we have 4 cars total, and want to get a few more lol. Definitely not the condo life.

She's from San Diego so wants to go back, but goddamn the cost of living compared to where we are now. Our current house would be $1.5-$1.6m in San Diego or LA.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST