BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Hans Device ?

For everyone who uses one of these did it take any getting used to or did you forget you were wearing it? Mine just arrived today (Hans III Model 20) and aside from being a dumbass and thinking it would fit over my massive head, it does seem to fit as expected after sliding it on from the rear. I went with a suggestion and got a size larger due to trap development and that seems to have been a great idea. No one will confuse me with the Hulk, but still a medium would have been too small.

Question, should I expect neck irritation from wearing this thing? Do those of you who wear one wear something around your neck to prevent irritation? Don't get me wrong, it's not choking me, it's just that I can feel the padding lightly touching my neck and can easily envision some irritation.

Thanks!

SJ
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Typically the padding is just held on with velcro. Remove the padding and reapply it a bit wider so it doesn't rub your neck. If its rubbing your neck its going to irritate your skin.

And yes you get used to them pretty quickly, and no it can not go on over your head like the helmet lol. But with some practice you can leave the HANS connected to the helmet and slip them on/off together.
      02-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
I have a Schroth Flexi, and it definitely caused bruising or abrasions from the rubber rubbing through a light shirt. The pads on the HANS style can rub the neck raw. Balaclava should help and saves the helmet anyhow.

I find it easiest to get in the car and throw the HANS around my neck and start buckling in. With the helmet/HANS on I have trouble looking down at the buckles. Perform the following in Grid or in paddock if it's open lapping.

1. Make sure if my door is ajar it's not too far away to close once secured. Major frustration being stuck.
2. Strap in waist & sub
3. Turn on GP or anything else I need to reach
4. Set shoulder straps over HANS and buckle in
5. Put on helmet, and attach HANS to helmet
6. Gloves, turn off DSC
7. Roll windows down (wait until last minute to mitigate sand blowing into the car).

I disconnect my HANS from my helmet once I pull out of the pit lane, then harness release.
      02-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

At first the limited neck mobility is strange and can be claustrophobic feelings, but like joe said, you quickly get used to it. With the sliding tethers the mobility is actually quite good, get those if you haven't already/didn't come with it.

Leave the HANS connected to the helmet, slide the HANS on from the back and then put helmet on.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack326.00
      02-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe View Post
Typically the padding is just held on with velcro. Remove the padding and reapply it a bit wider so it doesn't rub your neck. If its rubbing your neck its going to irritate your skin.

And yes you get used to them pretty quickly, and no it can not go on over your head like the helmet lol. But with some practice you can leave the HANS connected to the helmet and slip them on/off together.
Turbo Joe for the win! Thanks! My dogs were intently watching my attempt to get it over my head. I'm quite sure they were thinking...."oh jeez, what's the dumbass hooman trying to do now?!" They've pretty much seen it all.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      02-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
At first the limited neck mobility is strange and can be claustrophobic feelings, but like joe said, you quickly get used to it. With the sliding tethers the mobility is actually quite good, get those if you haven't already/didn't come with it.

Leave the HANS connected to the helmet, slide the HANS on from the back and then put helmet on.
Thank you! Yes, I do have the sliding tethers.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I have a Schroth Flexi, and it definitely caused bruising or abrasions from the rubber rubbing through a light shirt. The pads on the HANS style can rub the neck raw. Balaclava should help and saves the helmet anyhow.

I find it easiest to get in the car and throw the HANS around my neck and start buckling in. With the helmet/HANS on I have trouble looking down at the buckles. Perform the following in Grid or in paddock if it's open lapping.

1. Make sure if my door is ajar it's not too far away to close once secured. Major frustration being stuck.
2. Strap in waist & sub
3. Turn on GP or anything else I need to reach
4. Set shoulder straps over HANS and buckle in
5. Put on helmet, and attach HANS to helmet
6. Gloves, turn off DSC
7. Roll windows down (wait until last minute to mitigate sand blowing into the car).

I disconnect my HANS from my helmet once I pull out of the pit lane, then harness release.
Very much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      02-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Turbo Joe for the win! Thanks! My dogs were intently watching my attempt to get it over my head. I'm quite sure they were thinking...."oh jeez, what's the dumbass hooman trying to do now?!" They've pretty much seen it all.
Like DRLane pointed out, make sure everything is situated with car before buckling in and do not leave your door all the way open, because you 100% can no reach it once buckled, ask me how I know

I prefer to throw my helmet/HANS on before getting in the car, I just find it easier but you just gotta see what works for you. I am at the point now that I can remove my harness/helmet/hans while coming through the pits after coming off the track while still in the car. When its 95+ at the track you just want the damn thing off once off the track and dont feel like waiting
      02-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe View Post
Quote:
Like DRLane pointed out, make sure everything is situated with car before buckling in and do not leave your door all the way open, because you 100% can no reach it once buckled, ask me how I know

I prefer to throw my helmet/HANS on before getting in the car, I just find it easier but you just gotta see what works for you. I am at the point now that I can remove my harness/helmet/hans while coming through the pits after coming off the track while still in the car. When its 95+ at the track you just want the damn thing off once off the track and dont feel like waiting
I've done the kick the door trying to get it to swing out and back in when strapped in. Probably not the best for the hinges.

Agreed! Most of my track days this past summer in CO were 95+ and getting out of the sweat box is huge. Although I generally drive with the windows down and no AC even around town. But there's a lack of humility that makes it possible.

Getting in the car with the HANS/helmet on is pro level
SonnyJack326.00
      02-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

I ran with mine for the first time a couple weeks ago - forgot it was there once I was strapped in. With the suit on I didn't even notice the HANS once I was strapped in.
      02-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Once you’ve worn the hans for a little bit you will get used to it - definitely forget that it is there when you are on the track. The only time I find it can be a hassle is in the paddock but you can get used to the limited mobility there too - just take it a bit easier.

Between your balaclava and fire suit it shouldn’t rub... (you are wearing a fire suit right )

Leave hans attached. Helmet and hans on before getting in the car. If I can get in a fully caged car with them on would think just about anyone can. Needless to say no one would ever consider me svelt or limber
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
SonnyJack326.00
      02-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

You get used to it.

Remember that among other things, the use of the HANS device in NASCAR has practically eliminated deaths in that sport
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack326.00
      02-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
You get used to it.

Remember that among other things, the use of the HANS device in NASCAR has practically eliminated deaths in that sport
Believe it or not I ordered it during the Daytona 500 rain delay. Had been on the fence for a while and finally just decided that safety shouldn't be optional.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      02-16-2021, 07:59 PM   #14
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Want to add that you might want to practice emergency exits again now that you have one. It might change the way you need to angle your head or something to get out of the car - and if you have the exit procedure ingrained without a neck restraint you might need to rewrite that into your muscle memory. Not a bad idea to practice them in general anyways but definitely might be something to spend some more time on again.
Appreciate 5
DRLane3988.50
SYT_Shadow11490.00
derbo3610.00
SonnyJack326.00
admranger2984.50
      02-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #15
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

It's amazing how many folks don't regard safety equipment as necessary.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:27 PM   #16
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
I have to put the helmet (with hans attached) on before entering the car. I did get some crazy cramping the first day when struggling to look down at my buckle while inserting the shoulder straps. Now i just tilt my helmet slightly to see it without straining.
      02-17-2021, 02:26 PM   #17
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Not sure what to make of this comment. Should I assume you feel everyone who participates in track events w/o a HANS device is being unsafe regardless of their other safety equipment? My car has a fully functional driver's side airbag and thus I never saw the need for a HANS device. Is every car with stock interior thus unsafe on the track?

Perhaps my previous comment should have stated that I decided to take an "additional step" in maximizing my safety.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #18
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Were you still on stock seats last season?
      02-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #19
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what to make of this comment. Should I assume you feel everyone who participates in track events w/o a HANS device is being unsafe regardless of their other safety equipment? My car has a fully functional driver's side airbag and thus I never saw the need for a HANS device. Is every car with stock interior thus unsafe on the track?

Perhaps my previous comment should have stated that I decided to take an "additional step" in maximizing my safety.
If you're in a 3 point seatbelt you'll bounce around off the airbags. If you're wearing a harness, the only thing bouncing will be the heavy weight you've trapped to your neck.
      02-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #20
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Just watched this vid before I saw this thread, watch the difference in hans vs no hans. Thats crazy.
      02-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #21
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Want to add that you might want to practice emergency exits again now that you have one. It might change the way you need to angle your head or something to get out of the car - and if you have the exit procedure ingrained without a neck restraint you might need to rewrite that into your muscle memory. Not a bad idea to practice them in general anyways but definitely might be something to spend some more time on again.
I was going to post this. I always caught my Hans on the roll cage until I practiced a few times to get the muscle memory down.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS

Last edited by admranger; 02-21-2021 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack326.00
      02-18-2021, 01:08 AM   #22
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, it wasn't meant towards you specifically. To clarify, I'm happy you are looking into head restraints and there are folks that think it's overboard.

I honestly do think stock safety equipment isn't really enough. At a minimal I think a quick fit harness and head restraint is ideal.

Ross Bentley has a point in the following article regarding safety equipment.

https://www.windingroad.com/articles...reality-check/
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 2