BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-06-2023, 01:12 AM   #1
MrBlueSkies
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Solving EDC deterioration?

There have been many, many threads across multiple E9x M3 forums about EDC issues. I have read most of them, and copy in Mr Helmsman here Helmsman as he has been in most of them with good advice. Thank you sir.

I too have the deteriorating EDC problem. 2010 LCI E92 comp/ZCP with 85k miles and original Sachs EDC struts/shocks. Over the last year I have had the EDC suddenly revert to the stiffest setting, sometimes when the car is off and then turned on again, and sometimes while the car is running. No warning lights, no error codes. EDC button on the console lights up as usual.

Often pulling and re-seating the front plugs on top of the struts would reset back to normal EDC operation (with some difference between modes, but not major) for a time. But in recent weeks it seems like there is nothing I can do to restore normal EDC operation – I seem to be stuck in firm setting forever. Still no warnings or codes.

Logic (and reading all the many threads on EDC) suggests that this is probably a failed strut – 85k miles is a fair distance, and a deterioration over 12 months of on/off behaviour fits with this idea. I realise for others it may be other things.

Can I please hear from any one who has had this issue and SOLVED IT. Did you get new OEM Sachs struts and get full EDC operation back? Did you fit new after market EDC compatible struts (eg B6 damptronic) and solve the problem? Did you fit either of those and STILL HAVE the problem?

Thanks in advance. I feel it's time to focus on solutions to this issue, as there are plenty of people with the problem but no clear indication of how solvable it is.

(And, yes, I do realise that replacing with Ohlins R/T and coding out EDC might just be the best solution)...
Appreciate 4
JJH543.50
DrFerry6728.50
      04-06-2023, 09:22 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Bravo, rarely see posts in the appropriate sub forums these days...

Any feedback will be interetsing to follow, lets see.

Ps. DBTW did you read the one about resetting the aging compensation for chocks/module? Not suggesting that that would be an issue here but the topic is interesting, while getting around to buy a tool for the job...
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      04-06-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This is an interesting one for sure. My EDC is coded out, but I'm subbed to this for updates because I do have a friend that is experiencing this issue with his e90.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #4
MrBlueSkies
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Ps. DBTW did you read the one about resetting the aging compensation for chocks/module? Not suggesting that that would be an issue here but the topic is interesting, while getting around to buy a tool for the job...
Yes, and I tried that function using my Foxwell reader/tool. It had no effect on the feel of the struts - they remained in the stiff setting. This makes me think that something in the EDC "system" is over riding the instructions from the EDC-K module. The most likely culprit is a failed strut, as I would have thought a failed acceleration sensor and/or broken cable would trigger a fault/code from the module. And a failed module would surely trigger a code. If the valve/solenoid in a strut is simply worn out, and not capable of responding to the signals from the the module, then they all default to the stiff setting. I don't know why, but that seems the most likely explanation. Hence why it would be good to hear from someone who has experienced this and had the problem solved by fitting new struts.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 05:23 PM   #5
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSkies View Post
Yes, and I tried that function using my Foxwell reader/tool. It had no effect on the feel of the struts - they remained in the stiff setting. This makes me think that something in the EDC "system" is over riding the instructions from the EDC-K module. The most likely culprit is a failed strut, as I would have thought a failed acceleration sensor and/or broken cable would trigger a fault/code from the module. And a failed module would surely trigger a code. If the valve/solenoid in a strut is simply worn out, and not capable of responding to the signals from the the module, then they all default to the stiff setting. I don't know why, but that seems the most likely explanation. Hence why it would be good to hear from someone who has experienced this and had the problem solved by fitting new struts.
If you are using Foxwell, there should be another menu item in the same EDC module test that does a "test" on the shocks. Maybe try that?
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2023, 10:19 AM   #6
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

May I ask a question of those in the know?

Where is the EDC control module and does it have an individual connection to each of the four dampers?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-08-2023, 10:32 AM   #7
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
May I ask a question of those in the know?

Where is the EDC control module and does it have an individual connection to each of the four dampers?
Module inside the right wheel fender, you need to get a few trim/carpet pieces off.

Although the spec says "individual damper control", the module control/separate between front and rear axel only. I.e. each damper has its own connection but the current output is the same to both front resp both rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 10:47 AM   #8
Adam M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

So there are 4 outputs from the edc module, one to each of the dampers? And is it in the front or rear right fender?

Do the cables from the edc module to the dampers unplug from the module or are they integral fly leads?

Sorry for the thread hijack, will make sense in the future.

No more questions after this post.

Last edited by Adam M; 04-08-2023 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam M View Post
So there are 4 outputs from the edc module, one to each of the dampers? And is it in the front or rear right fender?

Do the cables from the edc module to the dampers unplug from the module or are they integral fly leads?

Sorry for the thread hijack, will make sense in the future.

No more questions after this post.
Haha, no worries mate. Sorry; right rear fender, right above the battery (90/E92, believe somewhere else on the cab). Like to remember its two sockets (white and blue) on the module, require the usual BMW socket trick to release. Guess one for power and the other outputs spreading to the chocks.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 09:06 AM   #10
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

@Helmsman - May not be related to this post, but have you measured EDC amps/volts while the car is in motion? Is EDC adaptive based on road conditions, or is it a fixed damping based on the selected mode Comfort, Normal, or Sport?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-09-2023, 03:29 PM   #11
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
@Helmsman - May not be related to this post, but have you measured EDC amps/volts while the car is in motion? Is EDC adaptive based on road conditions, or is it a fixed damping based on the selected mode Comfort, Normal, or Sport?
Hi Redd, yep measured. Modes have different base line setting (2.0/1.6/0.8Amps), and are adaptive in all three modes if ZCP, (non ZCP apparently fixed in Sport). Damper current is reduced (i.e. gets stiffer) when turning etc. Have couple of videos, let me know if interested.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-09-2023, 05:43 PM   #12
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

You got PM!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:12 AM   #13
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
You got PM!
Here we are mate:
https://youtu.be/pgm0fi2F0r8
https://youtu.be/3ijwMphbwvs

One video, straight driving without "loading" the dampers. Although there's no sensor that I know measuring load, believe acc.meeters and maybe steering angle input.

The other video during "load" by steering back/forth.

Module need 5km/h driving before it kicks start.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-10-2023, 05:37 PM   #14
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Very cool vids! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-10-2023, 07:18 PM   #15
MrBlueSkies
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Here we are mate:

One video, straight driving without "loading" the dampers. Although there's no sensor that I know measuring load, believe acc.meeters and maybe steering angle input.

The other video during "load" by steering back/forth.

Module need 5km/h driving before it kicks start.
Thank you. Am I correct in believing that in your case you can't FEEL any difference in response with the changing current measurements?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-10-2023, 09:35 PM   #16
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSkies View Post
Thank you. Am I correct in believing that in your case you can't FEEL any difference in response with the changing current measurements?
There is a difference between all three settings. However the difference is much less then it used to be.
My EDC changed years ago (had the car for 9y), already at around 25k miles so couldn't possibly be due to be worn out at that point. Originally it was a massive difference between Comfort and Sport. Anyways, learned to live with it...
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      04-14-2023, 03:27 PM   #17
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

EDC test in ISTA Comfort/Sport?

Hi. Wanted to see if anyone else is seeing the same results with testing the EDC in ISTA. There is a EDC module test where you can confirm the status setting of the EDC when you push between Comfort-Normal-Sport.

What I wanted to confirm is:

1) When I have the EDC on Comfort (no lights on the EDC button), --> ISTA says Comfort

2) When I push it to one light on the EDC Button, which should be Normal --> ISTA says Sport

3) Then when I set the EDC Button to Sport, which is 2 lights --> the ISTA test says Comfort

??? I also ran a similar test in the Foxwell scanner and same phenomena happens. I'm a '08 non-ZCP M3.

Name:  Screenshot (33).png
Views: 722
Size:  188.3 KB
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      04-28-2023, 12:29 AM   #18
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Interesting. I will need to investigate this as well!

+1 to using ISTA. ALWAYS appreciate the factory/dealer SW.

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      11-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #19
RandyJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 AA supercharged meth

Bumping this thread, any update to this? I'm dealing with a similar situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 03:18 PM   #20
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
Hi. Wanted to see if anyone else is seeing the same results with testing the EDC in ISTA. There is a EDC module test where you can confirm the status setting of the EDC when you push between Comfort-Normal-Sport.

What I wanted to confirm is:

1) When I have the EDC on Comfort (no lights on the EDC button), --> ISTA says Comfort

2) When I push it to one light on the EDC Button, which should be Normal --> ISTA says Sport

3) Then when I set the EDC Button to Sport, which is 2 lights --> the ISTA test says Comfort

??? I also ran a similar test in the Foxwell scanner and same phenomena happens. I'm a '08 non-ZCP M3.

Attachment 3155608
Btw quick feedback on this since I got Bimmergeeks Protool: shows the same thing, e.g. "Normal" doesnt show. So clearly not Protool thing then but the way the signal is being picked up by the tool.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 07:14 AM   #21
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quick update on the ProTool with regards to the EDC: While it seems like an extremely capable tool (vs for instance Carly) and include reset of various ECU adaptations, it turns out it doesn't support the EDC adapt.reset.

Had a mail chat with Bimmergeeks who immediately came back, confirming they currently didn't have the feature but they could see the shock adjuster function when looked specifically for it.
Lets see what they possibly come back with. After recently measured the shock current again - which seems to have gone down a little = stiffening up - I'm eager to reset and see what happens incl measure again.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      02-27-2024, 09:03 AM   #22
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 - 2011 E90 M3 6M ZCP

I’m assuming changing struts doesn’t reset the system… will need this info soon as well. ZCP E90 6MT for context going with B6xEvolve Struts.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50