BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

02-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #45
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Are we supposed to be impressed that you're $5M+ in debt on properties?
That's $344,400/year in mortgage payments alone...Damn.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #46
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post

What was the $5k for? Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had zero parts failures in three years of owning this car, so it's all just been gas/tires/fluids. I am on the original brakes and know that that will be higher than my other cars, but I just haven't had any other major (or hell, even minor) expenses. I've actually checked multiple times to make sure there isn't some major service that I've missed, but always come up blank--and doing some reading on the forum, it seems that most people agree that these are actually reasonably reliable cars.

And don't get me wrong, I'm very familiar with BMW reliability--my E70 X5 and F25 X3 required more than $50k in repairs in less than 50k miles between them.

I think we're talking about different kinds of people. I'm not saying that a guy that can't afford to keep his lights on and drives a 25-year-old minivan should buy an M3, I'm saying that for someone in the market for a car in this price range, the M3 isn't as scary to own as many people make it out to be...and $25k isn't a monster purchase in a world where the average new car transaction is over $35k already.

As for the expensive maintenance/repairs, I guess I just haven't seen it. I'm sure it pencils out higher than a Honda Civic, but we're not exactly talking about 'old Lambo' levels here.
I agree, if someone is in the market for a used sports car in the 25k-60k range (5-10 year old M cars, porches, corvettes, etc) it's not scary to own, cost-wise. I was merely arguing Joe Sixpack (the average american) isn't ponying up the cash for rod bearings. For all intents and purposes, it's a solid car and reliable when maintained.

That said... this is my first six months:

- $1000 Driveshaft (turner plus install)

- $800 DCT pan gasket/service, brake fluid flush, alignment, balancing

- $400 spark plugs, tubes, valve cover gaskets (DIY), misc interior trim pieces

- $2500 rod bearings

- $1000 x-pipe (need to replace something is wrong and there is an exhaust leak not fixed by gaskets and tightening bolts, sure I could do a $450 used factory pipe, or if I had a Mustang, a $300 high end x-pipe... must be magic metal in M3 x-pipes)

$5700 - I'll have had the 5 months in six days from now.

Next month I'll be putting new PS4s on the car to the tune of $1200 (I'm also refinishing my wheels which is $600, but that's personal)

So at six months in I'll be at about $7500, actually.

Or roughly... the full price of the 12 year old Chevy Silverado with 18 payments at 21% interest left driven by Joe Sixpack at the red light revving his engine at me.

Just kinda goes back to the "the guy trying to race you could buy your car, give them what they want" comment earlier.

I don't owe anyone a race because "they can afford my car".
      02-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #47
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzgJ74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Fitz who tf let you out?
You're the one racing Mini vans lmao
Drop top guys can't drag race anyone, they've got to save face when they lose. Can't do that with the top down..
      02-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #48
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
Quote:
Are we supposed to be impressed that you're $5M+ in debt on properties?
That's $344,400/year in mortgage payments alone...Damn.
Right?! This guy is full of it lol
      02-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #49
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

One thing I think seems to be a double edged sword with our cars though is, granted you decide to take on, say a 335 or the likes, off the line or just for the sake of revving out the s65 it draws a bit of attention that I don't like. Some may disagree and love that attention, but with that screaming high rev v8 you can't help but to look around for cops after you smack that tack on redline through 1 and 2..

It's a love hate
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #50
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Did the thought of them being investment properties with rental income cross your mind?
Appreciate 3
tooloud10747.00
Siajoon1856.50
      02-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #51
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat77 View Post
Quote:
Did the thought of them being investment properties with rental income cross your mind?
Yes it did, I have an investment rental property myself but my mortgage on that home is $1350/mo and I rent it out for $1500/mo. That's really what 99.9% of renters can afford.. who in their right mind would rent a house for $5k a month?!? Or better yet $18k a month??
      02-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #52
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Yes it did, I have an investment rental property myself but my mortgage on that home is $1350/mo and I rent it out for $1500/mo. That's really what 99.9% of renters can afford.. who in their right mind would rent a house for $5k a month?!? Or better yet $18k a month??
Who said they were houses?

Strip mall or office buildings perhaps?

And a $5k/mo. home rental is far from rare in many parts of the country.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #53
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think pbonsalb was trying to be an ass guys.

The M3 is cheap though. Lots of people own them outright and spend relatively little on maintenance, especially if you DIY. The only expensive aspect for me is the constant desire to mod.

I was talking to my friend about getting into tracking yesterday, and an acquaintance asked what I drove. When I told him an M3 he gave the typical shocked response like it was something special (it is special to me of course). I couldn't help but immediately think about the high probability he drives a brand new subaru that costs at least what mine is worth, like everyone else in Seattle...or maybe a Tesla financed into the 22nd century.

The fact that the E9X M3 is so cheap for the experience you get is what makes it so desirable.
      02-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #54
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by storM3trooper View Post
Hi fellas,

So I've had my 2011 e90 M3 roughly 5 mos now. It's not my daily so I guess I can say I'm fairly a newbie. Though I've only been driving it on weekends I noticed that other performance cars, modded cars, and even loud 335s wants to race me or keep up with me. Not sure if my driving speed is prompting them to do so or just the mere sight of an M3 causes this reaction? I do oblige to the "challenge" when I'm in the mood (or just really in a rush) but rather not when I'm distracted. I definitely do not engage when my fam is with me.

Is this part of the ///M life? I always thought other beemers are suppose to be allies and you don't race challenge them. Are there any unwritten rules in these situations??

I from SoCal by the way
Where abouts in SoCal?

Another socalian here
Chino Hills. You??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #55
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi fellas,

So I've had my 2011 e90 M3 roughly 5 mos now. It's not my daily so I guess I can say I'm fairly a newbie. Though I've only been driving it on weekends I noticed that other performance cars, modded cars, and even loud 335s wants to race me or keep up with me. Not sure if my driving speed is prompting them to do so or just the mere sight of an M3 causes this reaction? I do oblige to the "challenge" when I'm in the mood (or just really in a rush) but rather not when I'm distracted. I definitely do not engage when my fam is with me.

Is this part of the ///M life? I always thought other beemers are suppose to be allies and you don't race challenge them. Are there any unwritten rules in these situations??

I from SoCal by the way
Where abouts in SoCal?

Another socalian here
Chino Hills. You??
Irvine area, you're not to far if the toll road is used
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #56
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPanda View Post
Happens all the time, it part of being a beemer douche / M snob. Just have fun. I've even had highschool kids in minivans try and get at me, just be smart about it.
I know and I'm starting to get used to it. Just curious if this happens to most M owners.

What's an M snob?? I mean, when in a stop I can tell when someone's eyeballing me (I have no tints in front) but I pretend I don't notice. Is that being a M snob or you mean completely ignoring peeps trying to race you??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #57
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi fellas,

I from SoCal by the way
Where abouts in SoCal?

Another socalian here
Chino Hills. You??
Irvine area, you're not to far if the toll road is used
Cool, my first Bimmer was an e46 328 and ran with a an e46 group we usually held our meets at the marketplace parking lot.

Do you go to meets/runs?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #58
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wow it's amazing to read the comments on maintenance costs, car prices,and car owner demographics. So cool to see different takes and point of views. Appreciate you all let's keep it going!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #59
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow it's amazing to read the comments on maintenance costs, car prices,and car owner demographics. So cool to see different takes and point of views. Appreciate you all let's keep it going!
One theme seems to be that the E9xM is less of a stop light bandit and more of an open road screamer.

I'd say the F8xM is more of a stop light brute or step up to the new AWD M5.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #60
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pair of e90's

My m3 doesn't get a second look and I like it that way.

Funny how some think so highly of themselves. I'd guess the demographics of the typical used m3 owner is possibly lower than a new Honda Accord buyer.

The e90/92 are fantastic cars, but easily attainable by most.

Last edited by HadesM3; 02-22-2019 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
tooloud10747.00
      02-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #61
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesM3 View Post
My m3 doesn't get a second look and I like it that way.

Funny how some think so highly of themselves. I'd guess the demographics of the typical used m3 owner is possibly lower than a new Honda Accord buyer.

The e90/92 are fantastic cars, but easily attainable by most.
It's got nothing to do with money. At all. If I was trying to show off I'd have bought something 3x the price and much less inspired. It's not even about thinking highly of oneself. If I did, I'd be out joyriding trying to impress loser-ass women who could care less about an obnoxiously loud late model 3 series instead of sitting on my couch typing on a message forum on a Friday night.

The M3 is an enthusiasts car. It requires some finesse to own. As a car guy, some of the tedium and special considerations that come with ownership is what makes ownership special to me. It's not like other cars I've owned. I've owned more expensive and much faster cars. I like the special-needs aspect of the car. I like the history of the Motorsport division, I live the sound of the car. I love the community. When I see someone in an M3 I know that's a car dude, I like that.

I love the M3 because I love it, not because of what it costs or what other people think it costs.

I love the car for the same reason I love collecting vinyl. Both are taking an every day task (driving, listening to music) and making it a hobby and making me more connected with things I enjoy (driving, listening to music).

If I gave the impression that I thought I was "special" then i may have not properly conveyed my message. The discussion of maintenance costs may have muddied the message.
Siajoon1856.50
scrammer421.50
wfdeacon881104.00
NoHedge67.50
      02-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #62
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

It's because of this ....
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #63
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pair of e90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
It's got nothing to do with money. At all. If I was trying to show off I'd have bought something 3x the price and much less inspired. It's not even about thinking highly of oneself. If I did, I'd be out joyriding trying to impress loser-ass women who could care less about an obnoxiously loud late model 3 series instead of sitting on my couch typing on a message forum on a Friday night.

The M3 is an enthusiasts car. It requires some finesse to own. As a car guy, some of the tedium and special considerations that come with ownership is what makes ownership special to me. It's not like other cars I've owned. I've owned more expensive and much faster cars. I like the special-needs aspect of the car. I like the history of the Motorsport division, I live the sound of the car. I love the community. When I see someone in an M3 I know that's a car dude, I like that.

I love the M3 because I love it, not because of what it costs or what other people think it costs.

I love the car for the same reason I love collecting vinyl. Both are taking an every day task (driving, listening to music) and making it a hobby and making me more connected with things I enjoy (driving, listening to music).

If I gave the impression that I thought I was "special" then i may have not properly conveyed my message. The discussion of maintenance costs may have muddied the message.
I agree 100% the m3 is an enthusiast car. I'd guess it would not be very enjoyable by the typical person looking for an appliance to get from A to B.

I love mine for the joy it brings me, especially the noise and high rpm rush.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #64
gerikivan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe, E82 135i

well once you get a tune it will give you a better usable torque... well for me its usually the 335i that always wanna race when im just trying to go home.. but its funny if we were in the backs roads where the m3 shine and they couldnt get away from me
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2019, 10:33 PM   #65
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
It's because of this ....
A great ep that, had me lusting after both the C63 or M3.

TG S10E10 if anyone’s wondering. No surprise, the conclusion was buy the M3.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #66
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
Yes sir, I have a 6MT as well. And I see what you mean but if I rev out the gears it doesn't feel slow at all.
Well, if you're winding it up in 2nd gear, then you're probably going to skip to 4th gear b/c you won't get much out of 3rd gear.

I love the E9X M but the more you push it like it wants to be pushed, the more likely you'll end up being arrested unless you're on a canyon run.

In fact, I'm surprised I haven't seen many/any posts on this forum about people getting pulled over/points assessed/licenses revoked/etc.