BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

12-05-2018, 02:55 AM   #1
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 6MT ZCP LCI 2011

Who has an M3 E9x with Competition Pack?

Hi folks. I just joined this forum today and this is my first post. After looking at E90 M3s for a long time, I finally found one that met my search criteria - including a manual. All of the ones I’ve driven were 2008 builds. However I was swayed by a few nice improvements in the LCI 2011 I bought. Fingers crossed I might not have to do a bearing replacement?!

My question relates the EDC. Mine has a Competition Pack factory option. I understand this includes new mapping for the EDC and DSC and I’ve read a review that stated BMW “extended the EDC settings toward the track-ready end of the hardness scale”.

I’ve driven several 2008 E90s recently and on each one changing between the 3 EDC positions was very obvious. The difference between the softest and the hardest setting was chalk and cheese. However I don’t find that with mine. I can pick the difference but it’s rather subtle.

I’m not sure if it’s not working properly or if it’s due to the Competition Pack mapping. Can any owner with a Competition Pack option tell me about their EDC experience?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:12 AM   #2
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3_Guy View Post
Fingers crossed I might not have to do a bearing replacement?!
Every E9x M3 is subject to the same potential rod bearing failure. Some replace them as a bit of extra insurance, others don't. I did.
Appreciate 1
IanMan384.00
      12-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
To my knowledge there wasn't a comp package e90 produced until 2011
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 1
IanMan384.00
      12-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's not working properly or if it's due to the Competition Pack mapping. Can any owner with a Competition Pack option tell me about their EDC experience?
It may just be the road you happened to drive on? I feel it like night and day in some cases, in others it does nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
GH057
M3 God
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I can feel the difference between Comfort mode and Sport + on my E92 Competition pack
BMW E92 ///M3 | Alpine White | Carbon Fiber Roof | Competition Pack | ///M Performance Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | ///M Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler | Individual Black Chrome Fender Grilles | ///M Performance Black Chrome Front Grille | ///M Performance Carbon Fiber Side Mirror Covers | Black ///M3 Trunk Emblem | LUX 180 Angel Eyes | Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser | Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust | ESS Performance Software
Appreciate 1
IanMan384.00
      12-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
AMX2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3 competition

Quote:
Hi folks. I just joined this forum today and this is my first post. After looking at E90 M3s for a long time, I finally found one that met my search criteria - including a manual. All of the ones I’ve driven were 2008 builds. However I was swayed by a few nice improvements in the LCI 2011 I bought. Fingers crossed I might not have to do a bearing replacement?!

My question relates the EDC. Mine has a Competition Pack factory option. I understand this includes new mapping for the EDC and DSC and I’ve read a review that stated BMW “extended the EDC settings toward the track-ready end of the hardness scale”.

I’ve driven several 2008 E90s recently and on each one changing between the 3 EDC positions was very obvious. The difference between the softest and the hardest setting was chalk and cheese. However I don’t find that with mine. I can pick the difference but it’s rather subtle.

I’m not sure if it’s not working properly or if it’s due to the Competition Pack mapping. Can any owner with a Competition Pack option tell me about their EDC experience?

I think i have what you are looking for.. PM me for details
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep

I should have made it clear that I've already bought this 2011 LCI Competition Pack. I'm just wondering whether to get the EDC system checked out. As I said, I can feel the difference between the 3 settings. It's just that the differences don't seem as marked as the 2008 non-competition pack examples that I've driven.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:10 AM   #8
phantasticphan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 Touring, e92 M3

Quote:
I should have made it clear that I've already bought this 2011 LCI Competition Pack. I'm just wondering whether to get the EDC system checked out. As I said, I can feel the difference between the 3 settings. It's just that the differences don't seem as marked as the 2008 non-competition pack examples that I've driven.
If your car is lowered, some coilovers don't support the edc function. Take your car on some crappy roads and try all 3 settings, you should be able to tell the difference. i never really use the hard setting because the roads in San Diego suck!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasticphan View Post
Quote:
If your car is lowered, some coilovers don't support the edc function. Take your car on some crappy roads and try all 3 settings, you should be able to tell the difference. i never really use the hard setting because the roads in San Diego suck!
+1 on this. You need to drive on a bad road to feel the setting, then it is quite obvious and you know it is working. You should feel the difference going over a speed bump.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #10
Mets13
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 ZCP

I bet I have the only E92 comp pack in Oz that doesn't have a EDC button. Before you tell me it's not a comp pack, I have done a VIN lookup, I have the original invoice and I have rang BMW Australia to verify its a ZCP. My car is a MY10.5 being the first of the ZCP's. According to BMW, it's not uncommon for the first run of a special model not to have all the options....I'm not sure about this. Anyhow it has the wheel and other ZCP options, just not the EDC button. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 05:28 AM   #11
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mets13 View Post
I bet I have the only E92 comp pack in Oz that doesn't have a EDC button. Before you tell me it's not a comp pack, I have done a VIN lookup, I have the original invoice and I have rang BMW Australia to verify its a ZCP. My car is a MY10.5 being the first of the ZCP's. According to BMW, it's not uncommon for the first run of a special model not to have all the options....I'm not sure about this. Anyhow it has the wheel and other ZCP options, just not the EDC button. Go figure.
That's very interesting. A ZCP with no EDC. So presumably your car does not have the electrical connector above the front shocks to change the dampener setting?
Attached Images

Last edited by E90M3_Guy; 02-15-2019 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0