BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
chuzo
Private
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Exclamation EDC Fault Code

Hello everyone,

I'm getting this EDC fault code:

5FE1 Steering angle, correction value exceeded

So far I have done the calibration of the steering angle sensor, but the EDC error still shows up. Also there are no DSC or related errors.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have fixed this before.. There is a correction value that can be reset on the SZL. We can do it remotely if needed.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Top_Gear
Private
Rep
Drives: M3-E90-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzo View Post
steering angle sensor
Wow, this sounds pretty close to my recent problem and I would be interested to know how you solved it. In my case the steering angle sensor code appears to disable both my EDC and DSC systems as well as the auto-off turn signal. What's the fix for this? Does the entire steering wheel assembly need to be replaced or can it be resolved with some type of software fix?

So far I have had no problem driving the car around town with the warning lights on as EDC/DSC are not working and I manually switch off the turn lights when I make a turn. I haven't experienced any power loss but I am feeling like I should take care of this problem sooner rather than later.

It's an 08 E90 M3 and well out of warranty, so I'm looking for the easiest way out of this one. Any tips or help is much appreciated. I'll be thrilled if this can be fixed by software alone and can make a small contribution to whoever can help me out. (Mike B. I know you are local, if you know how to fix this let me know.)

Thx guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
chuzo
Private
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

hi
I was able to clear my error codes by reseting the ecu (edc in this case), but I didn't had any other errors related to the steering or dsc. Maybe your problem could be related to the szl module.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
wildwildwes17
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

how did you reset the ecu? I am new to this and my car is giving me the exact symptoms as above. I have INPA and have messed with tool32 and found my szl is holding an offset value of 101 when it should be 0 but it won't let me clear it when i use the job steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
dave08M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 07 530, 91 525

my 08 m3 displays EDC malfunction on the display while I am starting the car. We scanned the car with a SNAP-ON scan tool and we can not even find that menu item. Do they hide it somewhere? Does that mean that the car is not communicating with that unit. ?Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:32 AM   #7
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

EDC steering angle correction counter, use tool32 to fix it. Follow the steps
Run Tool32 and select EDCK_65.prg to read the EDC module.

Find and execute (F5) status_offsetwerte under jobs.

There should be a number under STAT_LEWI_OFFSET anything that isn’t 0 needs to be reset

Within Tabellen-Info window, Click Forttexte in the pop menu then select 0x5FE1.
U should see this under arguement

Select and run steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben with the ORT;0x5FE1 as the argument

Terminate tool32, open inpa, e90 shift f4, functional jobs, clear em, then read em it should be free of faults.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5

Last edited by amrazM; 03-20-2019 at 01:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #8
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Gear View Post
Wow, this sounds pretty close to my recent problem and I would be interested to know how you solved it. In my case the steering angle sensor code appears to disable both my EDC and DSC systems as well as the auto-off turn signal. What's the fix for this? Does the entire steering wheel assembly need to be replaced or can it be resolved with some type of software fix?

So far I have had no problem driving the car around town with the warning lights on as EDC/DSC are not working and I manually switch off the turn lights when I make a turn. I haven't experienced any power loss but I am feeling like I should take care of this problem sooner rather than later.

It's an 08 E90 M3 and well out of warranty, so I'm looking for the easiest way out of this one. Any tips or help is much appreciated. I'll be thrilled if this can be fixed by software alone and can make a small contribution to whoever can help me out. (Mike B. I know you are local, if you know how to fix this let me know.)

Thx guys.
Sounds like your szl, if calibrating it with the wheels pointed straight doesn’t fix it you need a new steering angle sensor. It’s possible to code a used one but not recommended.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #9
Jiren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwildwes17 View Post
how did you reset the ecu? I am new to this and my car is giving me the exact symptoms as above. I have INPA and have messed with tool32 and found my szl is holding an offset value of 101 when it should be 0 but it won't let me clear it when i use the job steuern_stromwerte_vorgeben
any updates on this? Mine reads 107. I tried the same procedure with tool32 but it gives an error and doesnt reset the value
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #10
FrozenE92M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen White Edition E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiren View Post
any updates on this? Mine reads 107. I tried the same procedure with tool32 but it gives an error and doesn't reset the value
Same here, tried that argument, and it didn't work. Tried "achse;5FE1" and something happened and it said success, but it apparently didn't do anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
Jiren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenE92M3 View Post
Same here, tried that argument, and it didn't work. Tried "achse;5FE1" and something happened and it said success, but it apparently didn't do anything.
ended up replacing the EDC module. It was faulty
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2020, 12:24 AM   #12
lastV10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

5FE1 Fix

I suspect there is more than one way to skin this cat, but here's what finally worked for me.... load the SZL.prg control file. Run job "abgleich_lenkwinkelsensor_ruecksetzen" (adjustment_steering angle sensor_reset"). That's it. You may or may not have to recalibrate your steering wheel angle with ISTA/INPA afterwards. Seems like the first time I ran the job, I was ok. When I did it a second time to verify, I had to recalibrate. STRANGELY - the job "lws_offset_korrektur_schreiben" ("steering angle sensor_offset_correction value_write") seems like the obvious job to run. But I could never get the argument of "zero" to run without error, no matter what format I tried for the value of zero. If someone else knows, I'd be glad to hear.
Appreciate 0