BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

05-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #45
SilverDust
Private
Rep
Drives: Waiting on an SO F87 6MT

Just spitballing here, but could varying pressures in the tires also create vibration? E.g. one tire at 28psi another at 32psi... etc
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #46
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDust
Just spitballing here, but could varying pressures in the tires also create vibration? E.g. one tire at 28psi another at 32psi... etc
Nope. Uneven pressures will cause handling issues but not vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #47
ycb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Sedan

Had an annoying vibration at 120km/hr as well.

turns out the tyre had to be rotated 80 degrees around the wheel rim. took 3x Road Force test to figure it out.

heavy spot in the tire wasn't matching up. fixed it and shaking was gone. took more than 1.5 years to figure out ffs.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:53 PM   #48
abc.xyz
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 6MT, BMW G82 M4 6MT

I have been having this annoying rhythmic steering wheel vibration usually above 80mph on most freeways. However, there are /some/ stretches of freeways where I don't have such vibrations, and there are some where the vibration is quite bad. All the above stretches of freeways seems equally smooth to me.

My front tires are probably in need of replacing and rebalancing. Mech also commented on how the inside of the front tires are wearing faster probably due to improper camber. I'll have those fixed soon but in the mean time any idea why some stretches of road is vibration free while others aren't? and that this only happens above ~80mph?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #49
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleck
I have been having this annoying rhythmic steering wheel vibration usually above 80mph on most freeways. However, there are /some/ stretches of freeways where I don't have such vibrations, and there are some where the vibration is quite bad. All the above stretches of freeways seems equally smooth to me.

My front tires are probably in need of replacing and rebalancing. Mech also commented on how the inside of the front tires are wearing faster probably due to improper camber. I'll have those fixed soon but in the mean time any idea why some stretches of road is vibration free while others aren't? and that this only happens above ~80mph?
I have experienced what you are experiencing. It does appear to be your wheel/tyre being out of balance. You're actually getting vibration all the time, but some roads have a sufficiently coarse surface texture to cancel out the vibrations you would otherwise feel on a smoothly textured road.

Go to a good tyre balancing shop. Ask them to check whether there's too much runout in the tyre or alloy wheel. Excess runout is the number one reason why you get vibration even when the wheel and tyre is perfectly balanced on a dynamic balancing machine. If the runout is not excessive but sufficient to cause vibration, you'll need to have the tyres road force balanced. If your alloy wheel has excess runout, get it straightened or replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #50
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleck View Post

If your tires are worn and need replacing, do it before you spend a bunch of time trying to find the problem.

They will be balanced and ready to then fix the issue if there is one. A bent rim may be discovered during tire change on the balancing machine. Dirt on the mounting surfaces. You say but how would dirt get in there? It develops chemically because the wheel is aluminum and the rotor is steel. Clean all the old weights and crap off the wheel while it's off the car.

Inside tire wear could be alignment but more likely it's the factory camber settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:40 AM   #51
Su37su
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lancer Evolution X

I was having wheel vibration starting at 65mph.
Solved my wheel vibration by removing the spacers installed by the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #52
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

I was also having steering wheel vibration between 60 and 80 mph, both with and without spacers (15mm front and 12mm rear). Had an alignment done and had the tires balanced. Vibration gone. Haven't reinstalled the spacers yet to see if that causes a vibration.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:11 PM   #53
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Hello guys. Thank you mlhj83 for the details. Really helps alot. I would like to share my situation before i attempt to replace some parts. I might get some help here to determine the problem.

I have sunday drive 08 e93 m3 with KW Sleeve overs for about 5 years now. But i owned the vehicle since 2012. And the intermittent vibration is really annoying me. When the car was stock height with stock wheels it was solid and never had any issue. Then i got custom made 20 inch wheels with F : 265/30/20 and 285/30/20 setup. Wheels made for the car they re hub centric 72.6 exact. I also added BBK 380s all around so had to use 4mm custom made spacer in the rear with hub extender. But never had any issue. Vibration was there before or after. I dont think there is nothing to do with that spacer. Fronts never had spacers and they are torqued correctly.

2 years ago i had this wobbling feeling on high way and decided to replace the control / thurst arms using oem product. While i was doing it i also got new Hankook tires v12 k120s. And i am running this tires since i have my custom wheels. SO with the brandnew control arms + brandnew wheels + really good alignment i was still getting this vibration randomly. The weird part is one day is rock solid , one day shimmy. i cant really understand the logic. Thats why i am writing here.

After having the issue with brandnew setup, i took the vehicle to a brandnew tire shop here which they were just opened and had brandnew laser balance machine. They only do tire replacements and balance nothing else. so they found out the front driver or passenger side was little bit out of balance so they rotated the tire around the wheel to make perfect balance. And all my balances done Road Force so i was having little hope that would solve the problem but did not.

After that rotation process, i have a little air leak on passenger side which i will address it soon, so i try to keep each wheel at the same psi before start driving. And i know that uneven tire pressure also causes shimmy steering. But all being in the same psi also doesnt help.

My next step is replacing the front Wheel hubs and front struts but before i do that what is the impact of the tire brand?

If i replace them to Michelin PSS, them being better sidewalls might solve the issue? Or getting a monoball control arm bushing can decrease the shimmy steering wheel feelings on a lowered e9x m3?

After having this issue, i have talked my 3 buddy. They all have this shimmy feeling at 60-80 and one of them has brandnew bbs with brandnew tires w KW v2 kit. SO lowering the m3 definitely causing some issue on steering feel i think.

(As a note here, when i was stock i did push the gas little hard while i was turning on intersection and the car slide little further than i expected and the front driver side wheel touch the side wall slightly and made a curb rash. but it was really minor. This always make me think of what if the driver side wheel hub somehow effected.) . I put the new rims quickly after this situation. and slightly sanding my old rim really remove the curb rash before i ship them out to the new owner.

I hope i explained my situation enough to find some solutions here. Thank you.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 03-22-2021 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:26 AM   #54
master_j
Rep
Drives: M340ix

I know this is an old thread but some really good information.
However , I have had an 2012 e93 m3 for about 8 months now , and as many of you , I am getting
vibration in the steering wheel around 65 mph into the 80s. I have two sets of rims , and I have replaced tires as well and same issue. One set (437m) require front spacers but they were removed and all 4 stock wheels were put on , same issue. Got the car this way unfortunately but can’t figure it out.
I also got an alignment which they said it was slightly off but nothing crazy.
Appreciate 0