BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Anyone gone from Akra X-pipe to another 200cpi X-pipe?

I really like my Evo exhaust, but don't like the soot that builds up on the tips and the smell from the 100cpi cats. I've been thinking of getting something like the Challenge Sport X-pipe with 200cpi cats and was wondering if it'll make a big enough difference to warrant the change out?
I know at 200cpi cat will still have some smell, but I'm hoping it's enough so I don't have be be all paranoid when there's a cop behind me at a light. And I'm hoping the tips will stay a little cleaner too.

Anyone have any experience between a 100cpi vs. a 200cpi cats for our cars?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
The smell, I can deal with. I hate the soot though. The rear of the car gets dirty so fast. That being said, I don't think I would change it out. I love the weight savings too much and the fact that it's titanium doesn't hurt either.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
You could simply cut out their cat and put in a 200 cell. For that matter you could use your oem secondary cat to weld in there. Not sure how welding to titanium works-as I have no skills at any of that-but could be an option
Not really feasible with titanium since it requires an oxygen-free environment to be welded in. A highly specialized trait.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
You could simply cut out their cat and put in a 200 cell. For that matter you could use your oem secondary cat to weld in there. Not sure how welding to titanium works-as I have no skills at any of that-but could be an option
Stainless steel and TI is 2 different metal bro...
      08-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
Stainless steel and TI is 2 different metal bro...
good luck w/ that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Akrapovic builds X-pipes with 200 Cell cats...... Call IND and they can get one for you.

I don't personally find there is much of a smell from my Akra Evo with 100 Cell cats. Also, you realize that the 200 cell cats are not going to do much for the soot, only the smell.
      08-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Akrapovic builds X-pipes with 200 Cell cats...... Call IND and they can get one for you.

I don't personally find there is much of a smell from my Akra Evo with 100 Cell cats. Also, you realize that the 200 cell cats are not going to do much for the soot, only the smell.
I wish I knew about the 200cpi cats before I got my system. I don't want to spend the $$$ for another Akra X-pipe. Thanks for the info; I'm sure it'll help someone out there.

Why wouldn't the 200cpi cats help cut down on the soot? I figured it would have double the surface area???

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I wish I knew about the 200cpi cats before I got my system. I don't want to spend the $$$ for another Akra X-pipe. Thanks for the info; I'm sure it'll help someone out there.

Why wouldn't the 200cpi cats help cut down on the soot? I figured it would have double the surface area???

I would think that you could sell your used Akra X-pipe for a good dollar and then it wouldn't cost you too much for the 200 CPI version.

The metal catalyst substrate used in performance applications such as these are not well suited to soot reduction..... In fact most catalyst are not really good with dealing with soot (particulate matter) hence the addition of DPF's in diesels now a days.

Soot is mostly related to a mixture that is too rich and the soot you see is a result of unburned fuel, basically your software is contributing more to your soot issue than your 100CPI cats are.
      09-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

I have an Akra slip on and am considering adding an x pipe. I'm in CA so I'm concerned about smog testing. I've read on other forums that it is difficult to pass the sniffer with 100 cell cats but pretty easy with 200 cell cats. I've asked several sponsors about getting 200 cell cats on the Akra mid pipes and they all say it isn't possible. Do you think I need 200 cell cats and how do I get in touch with IND? Also, are the primary cats and thus the O2 sensor affected?
2008 AW E92 M3: Stage II and DCT tune by BPM Sport, convenience coding + coding for mDrive w/Euro MDM (no iDrive) & alarm retrofit by BPM Sport, Fox Red interior, ESS midpipe, Corsa slip on exhaust, carbon fiber M Performance spoiler, black grills, black OEM M3 ZCP 19" wheels, 15/12mm spacers and AW painted reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

Try changing brands of fuel... Exxon used to cause extreme smell/buildup on my e36 m3 -- sunoco/bp/shell all good. Might be a worth a quick try to see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.

Jagman, IND is a sponsor here. Even with the 200cpi cats, you'd still fail the visual inspection... unless you have "a guy." Starting 2014, smog is just suppose to be an OBD plug in.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Jagman, IND is a sponsor here. Even with the 200cpi cats, you'd still fail the visual inspection... unless you have "a guy." Starting 2014, smog is just suppose to be an OBD plug in.
I've been in touch with them. Thanks for the recommendation! 2014 will be great since the car was just smogged.
2008 AW E92 M3: Stage II and DCT tune by BPM Sport, convenience coding + coding for mDrive w/Euro MDM (no iDrive) & alarm retrofit by BPM Sport, Fox Red interior, ESS midpipe, Corsa slip on exhaust, carbon fiber M Performance spoiler, black grills, black OEM M3 ZCP 19" wheels, 15/12mm spacers and AW painted reflectors
Appreciate 0