BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
SeanR
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Arrow E92 6MT buyer's remorse!

Hello all,

I recently bought the M3 I have wanted for so many years. It is an '08 E92 M3 with 6-speed manual transmission. What is bothering me is the transmission; I have never read one bad thing about the DCT (aside from the lag problems which, to my understanding, have been fixed) and it sounds like DCT would be a better choice to suit my suburban environment. I also like the idea that, with DCT, I am the best manual driver in the world and I can consistently pull off Shumacher-style heel-toe downshifts, whereas with the 6MT, I'm a noob. And in all honesty, I am actually a noob as far as manual transmissions go; I am very inexperienced in comparison to the kind of people who buy racers like these with manual transmissions, and driving such an amazing car with my preliminary manual skills feels risky. In addition, where I live, people have a really hard time selling manual transmissions; most people think that manual transmissions are ancient and that they just equate to unneeded work. After thinking this situation over for a few weeks, I've realized I rushed into things and that I probably should have waited to find a car with DCT; I am a younger generation man and I am obsessed with technology and convenience. I also drove a dual-clutch transmission once - PDK in a Porsche Cayman - and I quite liked it.

So I turn to you, all-knowing and omnipotent users of M3 Post, for advice. What can I do to fix this situation? I bought the car used with 28k miles on it, got a full inspection, spent some money installing an alarm system on it at the dealer, and got it detailed to showroom condition. It is in the best condition as can be for a used car.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks yee!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
gnhm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 / F87 M2

1. Find someone to trade cars with
2. Sell your car and buy another M3 with DCT. (Not smart financially)
3. Suck it up and learn to perfect 6mt .

Good luck
      04-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Hey, you have to start somewhere with a manual. Everybody was not good at one point, you have to practice. I think you'll find it very rewarding and very fun to train yourself to be better at it. I've always driven manual cars and absolutely love shifting. It was hard for me to buy the DCT M3, but overcame my own objections because the DCT is so damn cool and amazingly fast.

With that being said, maybe that's not something you want to do. Maybe you are just looking for an automatic car. While I hate calling my DCT an automatic (because I never use D mode and only, only purchased it in DCT because it is simply a very cool technology and incredibly quick), you can drive the car in a seudo- automatic fashion. But then again, if you're looking for an automatic, maybe you don't really want an M3.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.

Last edited by jmflukeiii; 04-17-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
your screwed? lol you bought the wrong transmission and looks like you are going to have to stick with it. if you try and sell the car which sounds like you are considering you probably will lose a few grand on the car. dont be bummed though the 6mt is awesome and i wouldnt recommend learning on a car like the m3 but its more of a hands on experience with this beast of a car. gl
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
You'll learn to love your man pedal, when you get the hang of it. All you need is practice.

I love my DCT and its fantastic! On the other hand I miss having a manual fun car. I get a little remorse here and there, but that was much more prevalent in the beginning.

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post

I love my DCT and its fantastic! On the other hand I miss having a manual fun car. I get a little remorse here and there, but that was much more prevalent in the beginning.
I'm glad you said this because I miss a manual at times too. And its still the beginning with me and its subsiding because the DCT is fantastic like you said. I honestly wish I could have two M3s with the two transmissions and see which one over time I'd drive more.

Thinking about it, I think I'd drive the manual around town, but at the track I'd take the DCT.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc2 View Post
OP, if money is no issue, don't let this bother you, sell the car or better yet trade it in at a dealership and order a new one. Since this is a used car with 28k miles, it won't be depreciating as much as weeks go on, so don't worry, but you will take a hit - a minor one (I'm guessing 2k to 5k).

That being said, I drive a MT 335 and I test drove a DCT M3. I can tell you the difference is amazing. I consider myself decent, I'm good at rev matching and heel-toe, but once I drove the M3, I was sold - something I thought I'd never do (buy an automatic car). So it's very well worth it in my opinion, if you are planning to keep the car.

Lastly, if you are really planning to keep the car beyond 3 years and you are looking for a used one, be very careful. If you buy an 08/09 model M3 with DCT and keep it for 3 years, it means the car will be 5-6 years old on your hands which may mean problems as far as DCT is concerned. Early DCT models had their share of problems and as you know once these transmissions break, there is no way to repair them and replacing them costs a ridiculous amount of money, somewhere north of 10k.
Don't call the DCT an automatic...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
1098WI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP, Ducati 1199S

I LOVE my 6MT and will never change... I don't care how great the DCT is...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Ok I'm sorry, didn't mean to hurt its feelings. It's manual automatic
Actually it's an automated manual (i.e. a manual transmission that can be shifted automatically)... but I guess that's splitting hairs.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Does it drive like your previous automatic cars - Does it move forward on its own when you take your foot off the brake like your previous automatics? Do you have little input or control over what gear you are in like your previous automatics? Does it have serious lag between gears as it is shift like your previous automatics? Its not automatic. The clutch is automated because there are two clutches which is very cool and significantly faster than your previous automatics.

But its not a manual either. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

It sounds like you should get a DCT. However, if you give it time you might come to like manual. I think it is much more involving. Although I can't deny for town driving a DCT might be better.

I find it amazing that so many people don't know how to drive a manual. Over here 99% of people learn from day 1 on a manual. However, that doesn't at all mean drivers are better here I can assure you!
      04-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

So it only took 10 posts to turn to 6mt vs dct.

To the OP, I am still tossing up if I picked the correct transmission for my build. The lure of super fast perfect shifts is hard to resist. To be completely honest I am a car lover, and enthusiast and I have no ill towards the DCT (or their drivers) and I understand that for a lot of people the DCT is the correct transmission choice.

Though it is a losing battle and pointless for the vast majority on here who do nothing more than flame each other over transmission choices, I'll explain why I picked the 6MT very briefly. Enjoyment, I am not a "racer" and I don’t need the 0.2 second it saves me on every shift. Second, I can't stand seeing rich ass housewives driving an M3. Flame away, but if the DCT crowd is honest, they are a split community; they have the small group of enthusiast who want that last split second (more power to you) and then the "rest". The "rest" which includes everything from your jersey shore housewife to the duche bags down the street that just bought the m3 because of the name.

OP, if the DCT is the right transmission for you, dump the 6MT. Either way good luck and congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

If its just a confidence/practice issue then im sure youll be a pro in no time!

Given the outlay so far I'd just stick it out unless you can justify spending money to get rid of it for the dct.
      04-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
There are far more other funny things about driving in this country that you would find amazing.

You should check out how the process of obtaining a driver's license works in the US and compare it how it is in UK or rest of the Europe. It literally takes less than a week to get a license here. Soon I'm sure they'll pass a law allowing people to order driver's licenses from home using the internet. A written test with 20 questions which an idiot with an elementary school degree can answer, an eye exam, and a driving test which involves parallel parking, driving for 4 blocks, and exercising the park brake will get you your drivers license in most states.

Whereas as far as I remember in Europe it takes several weeks/months to obtain a drivers license. It costs a lot of money (400-500 euros?). You have to take several written tests (which involve questions regarding engine/transmission/body/how a car operates) and several driving tests. In some countries like Finland they even make you drive in a simulated bad weather conditions and force you to loose/gain control of the vehicle.

One thing that worries me when driving manual (I guess same goes for DCT) in this country is people rear ending each other because most people don't have their senses developed enough to measure the distances between two cars when driving above 60 mph. They simply check if the guy in front of them is braking and thats when they brake as well. In a moving traffic (especially in rush hour), you'd take your foot off the gas in a manual car to slow down without using brakes - do that in places like NJ and NY, you can see the guy behind you getting pretty close and then braking pretty hard, because they are simply not used to cars being able to slow down without using the brakes
Lol. Over here you end up doing at least 20 hours of driving lessons (crap drivers might take around 40) so it will cost at least £400. Then you pay for your theory test and practical test (another £100).

The driving test will last 45 mins and you will be tested on random manouevres like emergency braking, parking etc. and you will will be quized about random facts such as checking car bulbs or tyre tread etc...I swear they have quotas for failing people. I failed on something so minor.

Bottom line it will take you at least a few months and you wont be able to get insured on anything more powerful than a 1.6 engine car! Insurance is harsh here. Maybe it's for the best though. Bad drivers!
      04-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

OK OP, let me tell you something! If you are looking for convenient and drive like Schumacher from the first day, Manual car is not for you. If you are worried about making mistakes in changing gears like E=mc2 and you want something easy to drive manual is not for you still. To be honest, maybe even the M3 is not the car for you.
First of all, if you think DCT is the best and no one complains about it, WRONG!!! You better spend more time reading the posts in this forum.
I drove an automatic car for almost 6-7 years before I got my M3. I test drove both 6MT and DCT and decided to get the manual car because I wanted to be more connected to my car and all my friends told me "if you want a sport car, you have to get a manual car". Don't get me wrong, DCT is amazingly fast!! It is a brilliant technology, but it is still not a manual transmission. I learned how to drive a manual car in my M3 and let me tell you something, at the beginning, it was SOOOO FRUSTRATING. It was embarrassing to drive such a nice car and stall it, but I wanted to learn. You can read my posts here and you realized how much I tried and practiced and asked questions here and now it is SOOOOO FUN! I don't change my 6MT with anything. I realize having a manual car and doing EVERYTHING yourself is so rewarding. You will realize after a while that in this forum, DCT owners and 6MT owners always joke around and make fun of each other, but truth to be told, both of them are GREAT! If you are not up for a challenge and you don't enjoy learning new stuffs, 6MT is not the car for you. If you want convenient and a status car, M3 is not even right for you; M3 is a performance car!

These are all my opinion and maybe so many other people have different opinion from mine.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3

Last edited by Prince_of_Persia; 04-17-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
It's a self-clutching manual.
      04-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
I always said this, driving in Europe is a privilege. It's much more respected and taken seriously.
It's a privilege for sure. But it depends on which country you're in whether driving is taken seriously. Don't go to Belgium or Italy and expect the locals to drive like the rule-following Germans.
      04-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What!!!!!????

That was so mean

Haha, well you said it yourself in the other thread!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #19
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Lol. Over here you end up doing at least 20 hours of driving lessons (crap drivers might take around 40) so it will cost at least £400. Then you pay for your theory test and practical test (another £100).

The driving test will last 45 mins and you will be tested on random manouevres like emergency braking, parking etc. and you will will be quized about random facts such as checking car bulbs or tyre tread etc...I swear they have quotas for failing people. I failed on something so minor.

Bottom line it will take you at least a few months and you wont be able to get insured on anything more powerful than a 1.6 engine car! Insurance is harsh here. Maybe it's for the best though. Bad drivers!
and I like that about here. I wish we could do that in the states...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
iDRIFT
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Fast!

They are two diff beasts but both with pros, my m6 was obviously dct and I liked it but never felt connected, my s52 blown m coupe is 6 speed and is fun as hell, I decided to go with a manual for the M3 because revving that motor and shifting gears jus puts a smile on ur face, plus with an exhaust in a drive thru line really grabs pols attention

This is why ppl should always test drive something before they purchase because everyone is different and we all have our own expectations.

In the end u probably won't ever be happy with a 6mt because ur heart wants a dct, jus sell it and take the loss, hopefully u have a nice bank account lol

ps I bought a cl63 once and hated it after 6 months so I buckled down worked harder and bought something else lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
SeanR
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Don't get me wrong guys: I am not one to choose the M3 for status or to just cruise along in it like a Jersey housewife. I have appreciated and yearned for the M3 ever since I can remember, way before I could even drive. I have an attachment to the M3; it is my dream car and I would take it over a Ferrari, for sure. So there is no question that the M3 is the car for me. The thing is, technology has beat the humans once again, and I am a progressive character myself. We are shying away from traditionalist values and entering a new era of unnecessary convenience, and I am not one to object; I am truly a tech-freak.
So, to recap, I am a noob manual driver and a member of the lazier younger generation, but certainly not one to buy an M3 for bragging rights or "swag points." I am actually glad that the M3 is hardly distinguished from a 3 series by people who know nothing about cars
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
Don't get me wrong guys: I am not one to choose the M3 for status or to just cruise along in it like a Jersey housewife. I have appreciated and yearned for the M3 ever since I can remember, way before I could even drive. I have an attachment to the M3; it is my dream car and I would take it over a Ferrari, for sure. So there is no question that the M3 is the car for me. The thing is, technology has beat the humans once again, and I am a progressive character myself. We are shying away from traditionalist values and entering a new era of unnecessary convenience, and I am not one to object; I am truly a tech-freak.
So, to recap, I am a noob manual driver and a member of the lazier younger generation, but certainly not one to buy an M3 for bragging rights or "swag points." I am actually glad that the M3 is hardly distinguished from a 3 series by people who know nothing about cars
I can just tell you one thing. If you forget about being lazy for 2 months and try so hard to learn how properly drive your 6MT M3, you will fall in love with it. It is like chasing a hard to get super hot girl lol, If you are up for the challenge, it is so rewarding at the end

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0