BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #89
rdoctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
After 6 months of dealing with this "Increased Emissions" off and on I can say this issue was finally solved with a new "low fuel pressure sensor (and required adaptor since the design changed)". Problem solved.

BTW...The dealer threw a pre-cat O2 sensor at this issue with no effect. The low fuel pressure sensor (which I led them to after reading tons of posts here) was the culprit.

SOLD: e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Dinan: Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// BBS e88 18x9.5 et19; 18x10.5 et19 on PS4 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #90
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
okay, got the two stored codes:

2B16 - Throttle Valve Actuator bank 2?

11095 - 2B57 - ?????

anyone know what this is? The tool doesn't know...
Throttle actuator is bad - common problem.

Not fun to replace it either.. but will be good as new afterward (sadly until bank 1 actuator fails too... )

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #91
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
TBA replacment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

Not fun to replace it either.. but will be good as new afterward (sadly until bank 1 actuator fails too... )
Yes, do them both. About the same labor as doing one, and it's only a matter of time,,, (1 week in my case).

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #92
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Yes, do them both. About the same labor as doing one, and it's only a matter of time,,, (1 week in my case).
Agreed, I did both at the same time - about 52K miles.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #93
MikeD
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:

Ha!

Bank 1 was replaced 4 weeks ago! I couldn't do both bc I was dependent on the dealer approving warranty work..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #94
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Hey Guys,

I posted up that after storing the car shortly after getting it, I was getting the increased emissions error on the dash. After driving it for a while, it went away. Then, when I had battery issues, it came back. Again, I changed the battery and it went away.

Anyways, more recently, I got the increased emissions again. I had filled up at an ESSO station near me and got the error message. I didn't know what was going on, but, I was going to take it to my local indy shop to have it checked out. Well, after about 3/4 of a tank, I filled it up with V POWER 91 Octane from Shell and the error went away. Yay.

Well, shortly after that, the real problems started. I was downtown in early October and I was on my way home when the dash lit up with an increased emissions AND reduced engine output with the redline drop to 4500, rough running and all that. I shut off the car and it reset. It happened a number of times and I took it to my indy shop. They did an injector flush but that didn't solve the problem. After a further investigation of the codes, they saw a 2B59 (Coolant Thermostat). I had the thermostat replaced today. Fingers crossed that it the last of the engine fault codes (at least until the throttle actuator or the ICV goes).

DrC
      11-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #95
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

I had the dreaded "increased emissions" code about two months ago. After popping in the OBD2 in? It turned out to be the "low fuel pressure sensor" and i was relieved that it wasn't something far worse($$$). It was such a easy fix! Just remove the air box, and it's right in front of you. If you have small hands? You can probably do it with out removing the air box.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #96
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathosflux View Post
I've had a similar, but perhaps unrelated issue. My car is modified, afe intake/pulley and borla catless x-pipe with a BPM tune. I was greeted once with a "increased emissions" warning, so using my scanner I pulled the codes.

27AA - P0068
27AB - P0068

Both appeared at the same time, and then went away on their own (I didn't clear them). They reappeared a month later, without clearing them disappeared on their own. Both times it occurred about 5 minutes into driving the car (engine was not fully warmed up), and while I was at 0 percent throttle position, also both days were -5c.

The reason why I say it's similar is because this is the only form post with anything about 27aa, however p0068 tells me this is a throttle/map correlation issue. Perhaps my MAP sensor is reading slightly off, and at the low throttle positions (and cold denser air) there's enough of a derivation to exceed the maximum derivation.

These are (the e90/92 m3) speed density based cars, so the map sensor readings are quite important, mitigated by the fact that it does do closed loop fueling corrections thorough the entire load range. Just posting this here as a reference for anyone else who might get this error, and/or if anyone has any ideas. I think I may just swap out the map sensor and see what happens.
Bumpin a old thread.. Ever got this 27AA code figured out?
      01-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #97
mmbv1000
Banned
Rep
Drives: G35 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
For those who may encounter this problem and search the board months from now, I'll post here the problem, the diagnosis and solution.

Problem: Increased Emissions light shows up during drive. Picture of yellow motor stays for 10 seconds then goes to a Service Engine Soon light - SES - and stays there permanently. The light may go away every 5 or 6 days for about 2 or 3 starts. Then it returns. Car runs fine. No other faults Ie. DSC, Park Assist, ABS, etc.

Diagnosis: Your car has a Secondary Air Pump and two valves that activate during the first 240 seconds to blow hot air through two valves, one on each bank, on to the catalytic converters. Simply to heat them up so they work. Cats don't work cold. Does NOT affect the driveability of the car that I can tell. The valves sometimes get stuck - open or closed. Open and the exhaust travels backwards in to the Secondary air pump condensing and filling the pump with water. This is where the customer usually hears slurping sounds, like a fat 11 yr old bold that just came from 7-11, during start-up.

Solution - BMW OBDII showed Bank 1 valve faulty. It was changed along with an o2 sensor from Bank 2 side of the engine. It was the o2 sensor before the primary cat on Bank 2.

My impressions -- After suffering from "Idle Valve" issue and never fixing that... it just went away 8 months ago and never came back, I am please the Faults were actually real. Car runs very good, I'd say better then before. Maybe the ECU has better readings to adjust air/fuel/timing with functional O2 sensors and valves stuck open can't help. Must be like an exhaust leak.

Hope this helps some folk during there search to fix "Increased Emissions" SES light since I found NONE during my search! G'day.
Are you saying the issue fixed itself? My valves were stuck closed - my tech opened them and is giving me the car back for the time being but said it would likely come back. Debating to fix now or see if there's a chance he fixed this already.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #98
2008E90TT
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My 2008 with 71k miles just had the same issue. I typically only drive it on weekends and have been getting the battery discharge warnings, but I've been hesitant to replace the battery since it goes away once I drive the car for a bit.

I retrieved the CC ID 31 code by holding the stalk button down, but I'm assuming this doesn't narrow it down to anything.

I'm not under warranty, so I'm not too eager to pay a tech to look at it immediately based on the experiences above. I also don't want them to do guesswork on parts replacement if it's just caused by a weak battery.
E92 M3 6MT - Red/Tan - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:25 PM   #99
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansin View Post
Are you saying the issue fixed itself? My valves were stuck closed - my tech opened them and is giving me the car back for the time being but said it would likely come back. Debating to fix now or see if there's a chance he fixed this already.
If we're talking about idle control valve, there is a service bulletin for it and you could get it replaced at your dealer for free without having warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #100
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Does anyone have a DIY to fix this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #101
brentl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 cpe 6MT

increased emissions problem - my turn

I just got the increased emissions warning light problem this week. I was driving at 70 on hwy, then wham, massive reduction in power...WTF? Increased emissions lights up, then the yellow engine malfunction icon pops up, but virtually no power - but engine was still running. Pull over, turn off, and back on....all good. Drive to next exit just fine. Then got back on and punched it and it happened again. Restarted and drove fine. Problem recurred a couple of times. Drove to dealer today, they say it is the Vacuum Pump. I hope this is the last of it. SA said this is unusual. My car is '12 coupe 6MT with 15k miles on it (delivery date dec 2011) and is uber clean. I asked what it might cost if not under warrantee and the guy said $2500 to 3000 (Pump over $2k) In case this is wrong, he just guessed but that is a sobering amount of $$ for what may be an ancillary part. I will update when I get it back. BTW, other than oil changes and tires this is the only issue the car has ever had.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #102
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentl View Post
I just got the increased emissions warning light problem this week. I was driving at 70 on hwy, then wham, massive reduction in power...WTF? Increased emissions lights up, then the yellow engine malfunction icon pops up, but virtually no power - but engine was still running. Pull over, turn off, and back on....all good. Drive to next exit just fine. Then got back on and punched it and it happened again. Restarted and drove fine. Problem recurred a couple of times. Drove to dealer today, they say it is the Vacuum Pump. I hope this is the last of it. SA said this is unusual. My car is '12 coupe 6MT with 15k miles on it (delivery date dec 2011) and is uber clean. I asked what it might cost if not under warrantee and the guy said $2500 to 3000 (Pump over $2k) In case this is wrong, he just guessed but that is a sobering amount of $$ for what may be an ancillary part. I will update when I get it back. BTW, other than oil changes and tires this is the only issue the car has ever had.
I had this happen after I changed the spark plugs...I did not get one of the connectors 100% "clicked" back on and it would fault under heavy acceleration (which made me think of your post). If whatever they do does not fix your issue, it might be worth keeping this in mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #103
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Quote:
Agreed, I did both at the same time - about 52K miles.
My bank 1 finally went out at 175k miles so I just replaced both.
      06-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #104
Strick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC, 2019 M2C

I'm getting code P0050 "H02S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 1)"

Figured doing the obvious and replacing the driver side (Bank 2) pre-cat wide band (sensor 1) would fix the issue. Wrong. Car seems to run better post install but still throwing a CEL - Increased Emissions. Not sure how to trouble shoot now, as its acting like I never replaced the sensor. Suggestions welcome! -- car is a 2009 e92 dct with 112k. Runs well other than this, need to get it inspected soon!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #105
RonnieB
Rep
Drives: 2008 Black E90/2011 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Nice…very refreshing to hear some last.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #106
mikoz
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan

Hi all,

I have a 2010 M3 with 28k miles. The increased emissions light appeared and stayed on for 5 days then magically went away. I did no notice some hesitation during acceleration but the car was drivable.

I have EZ care so I took into the dealer and they found a bad O2 sensor which was replaced under warranty. I also had a flaky power door actuator which was replaced. Total bill was $1200 (but I paid $50 deductible only).

Anyway, here's where it gets more interesting. They claim that the codes will be still be in the computer for "hundreds of miles" and I have a state inspection due this month which I will fail, they claim, because the codes are still in the system even though the idiot light is gone.

They wanted $75 to clear them and claimed EZ care won't pay for it.

Is there truth to this?

I pressed them to indicate how long it takes to clear the codes and they gave me a wishy washy answer of 150 miles. Is this accurate?

Can I clear them some other way easily?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #107
DansBMW
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Does the o2 sensor issue cause your car to go into limp mode as well?

My car threw emissions code and went into limp mode this weekend. Sometimes it was limp mode, other times it was just increase emissions with no limp mode.

I'm out of warranty and am relying on the California 7-year emissions control warranty to get this covered, BUT the o2 sensor issue is NOT covered by the dealer.

My problem is my codes disappeared after driving all weekend with a SES and I want to gauge whether it's likely an O2 sensor issue (not covered) or another emissions part issues (covered) before going in to the dealer. If it's not covered, they'll charge me $175 just to pull codes...

All the standard OBD tools can only pull surface (existing) codes.
Hi Mike!Dan'O here. My car E93 M3 is now witnessing these symptoms. What was the final lab test on this symptom? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #108
mcater904@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 and 2016 M235

I too have run into this problem. The car lights come on saying increased emissions and basically shuts down the car where it will not drive over 40 mph. The BMW of Mobile Alabama had my car for almost a month. This is what all they did to rectify situation before replacing the EDM on the 8/80,000 warranty. Replaced was ]Both front and back O2 sensors and both actuators. They kept getting bank 1 or bank 2 message when the swapped them out so the ended up replacing both. Now keep in mind without any warranty on these parts it would have cost $1700 for each actuator had I gone to BMW Galleria in Diberville MS ( close to my house but I will never ever take a car to that dealership again. Its the first BMW dealership to open in over 23 years and the owner does not deserve that dealership. Hew is a stuck up snob who caters to his friends and family.
Anyhow, Becky in Mobile is wonderful. She managed to keep my bill low and made sure it was fixed before giving car back to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #109
mcater904@gmail.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
For those who may encounter this problem and search the board months from now, I'll post here the problem, the diagnosis and solution.

Problem: Increased Emissions light shows up during drive. Picture of yellow motor stays for 10 seconds then goes to a Service Engine Soon light - SES - and stays there permanently. The light may go away every 5 or 6 days for about 2 or 3 starts. Then it returns. Car runs fine. No other faults Ie. DSC, Park Assist, ABS, etc.

Diagnosis: Your car has a Secondary Air Pump and two valves that activate during the first 240 seconds to blow hot air through two valves, one on each bank, on to the catalytic converters. Simply to heat them up so they work. Cats don't work cold. Does NOT affect the driveability of the car that I can tell. The valves sometimes get stuck - open or closed. Open and the exhaust travels backwards in to the Secondary air pump condensing and filling the pump with water. This is where the customer usually hears slurping sounds, like a fat 11 yr old bold that just came from 7-11, during start-up.

Solution - BMW OBDII showed Bank 1 valve faulty. It was changed along with an o2 sensor from Bank 2 side of the engine. It was the o2 sensor before the primary cat on Bank 2.

My impressions -- After suffering from "Idle Valve" issue and never fixing that... it just went away 8 months ago and never came back, I am please the Faults were actually real. Car runs very good, I'd say better then before. Maybe the ECU has better readings to adjust air/fuel/timing with functional O2 sensors and valves stuck open can't help. Must be like an exhaust leak.

Hope this helps some folk during there search to fix "Increased Emissions" SES light since I found NONE during my search! G'day.
This is exactly what needs to be done! They replaced both O2 sensors and both actuators
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #110
mcater904@gmail.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Im seeing a repetitive problem here. It seems along with O2 sensors that if you replace those along with both actuators the problem is solved
Appreciate 0