BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #45
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
The update is out. I just picked up my car this morning and the installed the update last Thursday. I was out of town, so I had to get it today.

edit: My car was a PuMA case, so maybe I got the update on a rush basis....just a thought.

Great to hear Tim. And great to see that BMW NA took care of you. You deserve huge props for being patient and keeping faith. I sure hope that you never have any more M-DCT problems again. The fix sounds like the real deal so far. Sounds like the stalling issue, at least tentatively (and optimistically) has been fixed. Hopefully the threshold braking issue is also now erradicated. We'll have to wait a bit longer to get confirmation on that.

And sorry to hear about the ticket. That truly sucks.

Question - did they give you any info about the update as far as a TSB number or a memo describing the fix or anything like that? I am about to set up my 1200mi service apt and it would be great if I could get info about the M-DCT upgrade and potentially have them do that also while the car is there.

And thanks for posting the update.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #46
man02195
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 M-DCT, SG-status 111

Quote:
The update is out. I just picked up my car this morning and the installed the update last Thursday. I was out of town, so I had to get it today.

edit: My car was a PuMA case, so maybe I got the update on a rush basis....just a thought.
congrats Tim, glad to hear you have the car back. I'm sure you'll be the first to let up know if any of the stalling issues return. I have a call into the dealer to see when I can bring mine in.
      10-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #47
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:

Basically, everything the OP said is true. Upshifts are FAST now....they are as fast as I EXPECTED the car to shift before I even bought it. They are nearly instantaneous.

Downshifts are also really fast now. I basically have just driven in S6 so far, so no word on D modes, but I expect what the OP said to hold true.

On my way home, the car DID skip second gear again, but it could have been me. I ran through the gears again and was damn sure not to double tap and I could not replicate.

I tried one last time and ended up getting my first speeding ticket in 10 years. LOL. Phuckers. lol. Whatever.

All in all, it appears to be a HUGE improvement.

One thing I did notice though.......on the freeway, when flooring it and shifting from 3 to 4 (for example), it does not BANG hard like it used to, rather, it almost feels like the clutches are sliding a bit. Maybe it was me...maybe the tranny was not all the way up to temp, etc. hard to say, but I noticed a difference. I don't think it is a bad thing, just an observation. Around town, it fricken GETS IT HARD. Major wheel spin in 2nd....so far I love it! Minus the speding ticket.

I took out my V1 when I dropped the car off...and when I got to the dealer this am, I noticed I forgot to bring it...I told myself to chill on the way home....well, I got to exciting driving the car (its been 3 weeks). The tranny feels awesome now...I guess I lost my head about it! Time for traffic school now. lol

Great to hear you have got car back and the update seems to have cured all of your problems.

The surge is something I am debating with myself, originally I said it didn't feel as extreme as before the update, then after driving the car the following day I felt it was. Now after taking the nephew out for a spin in the car (he drives an E46 M3 of his father's from time to time) I felt once again that the surge was less than before.

I DO feel it's there in all it's entirety with 1st and 2rd gears, but after this I less sure. There is no doubt it's not so noticeable on part throttle compared to before but the paddle lag is definitely gone completely.

P.S.
Bad luck on the ticket, that's a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #48
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Congratulations Tim, hope everything is fixed now for you with the new update.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #49
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
good to hear tim, I can't wait for the update!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #50
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

NEED bulletin number please anyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #51
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Sounds like everything is fixed but footie comments of less "surge" have me a little concerned.

Not sure what that means, the car should behave exactly the same power wise just the shifting mechanics have been altered.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #52
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:

Basically, everything the OP said is true. Upshifts are FAST now....they are as fast as I EXPECTED the car to shift before I even bought it. They are nearly instantaneous.

Downshifts are also really fast now. I basically have just driven in S6 so far, so no word on D modes, but I expect what the OP said to hold true.

On my way home, the car DID skip second gear again, but it could have been me. I ran through the gears again and was damn sure not to double tap and I could not replicate.

I tried one last time and ended up getting my first speeding ticket in 10 years. LOL. Phuckers. lol. Whatever.

One thing I did notice though.......on the freeway, when flooring it and shifting from 3 to 4 (for example), it does not BANG hard like it used to, rather, it almost feels like the clutches are sliding a bit. Maybe it was me...maybe the tranny was not all the way up to temp, etc. hard to say, but I noticed a difference. I don't think it is a bad thing, just an observation. Around town, it fricken GETS IT HARD. Major wheel spin in 2nd....so far I love it! Minus the speding ticket.

I took out my V1 when I dropped the car off...and when I got to the dealer this am, I noticed I forgot to bring it...I told myself to chill on the way home....well, I got to exciting driving the car (its been 3 weeks). The tranny feels awesome now...I guess I lost my head about it! Time for traffic school now. lol

Told you Tim, no worries, BMW will take care of you. Glad they did so I didn't look like an ass for telling you not to worry

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #53
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
NEED bulletin number please anyone!
My SA told me it is Progman 31.1.0 that fixes at least the following:

(1) A sudden drop in idle when slowing to a stop. This may cause a “stalling” effect. The vehicle restarts immediately and runs normally.

(2) An intermittent red “Emergency Gearbox Program” accompanied by a “Parking Lock Magnet” fault and / or an “Input Selector Lever Position” fault.

It will be available at my dealer later this week.

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #54
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:

Not for me, but you might want to post what your invoice said was done for the other DCT early-adopters out there!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #55
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Ok i got back my car after my agent screwed up the car by putting in the M5/M6 SMG liquid in the car. Luckily I made so much noise that they rectified the problem. They drained off the SMG liquid (Not the same as the 6 speed manual fluids that has damaged most DCT transmissions) and flushed it twice with the DCT liquid. Lastly, they put in the DCT liquid and now everything is fine. This was the directions given by BMW Asia through BMW AG and there was an ///M mechanic form Germany overseeing my problem here. They have also flashed my DME to the latest one and I must say the lag is ZERO. I cant believe how this things shifts so fast. I was pondering thought that previously at low speeds, it used to blip much more now its not as much or nothing at all. At higher speeds, all this blipping comes much more in play and in all sense, rev matched much better than previously. The auto mode is much more seamless and it doesnt jerk as much when slowing down though initially it felt kinda jerky but subsequently smoothening out. Could be the auto mode is adapting to the drivers style of driving. Nevertheless, truly a great upgrade for those who needs this quirks addresses. Mine has stalled twice so far before this upgrade so that remains to be seen. But for now, I think its the best drive since I got the M3. Need to play with it a little more.

Cheers!

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|

Last edited by satinghostrider; 10-14-2008 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 01:52 AM   #56
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
Can I please have some of that your smoking,
This has to be one of the most laughable things I have heard on the crack pipe!

No offense
May I ask, have you driven a 360 before?

I have on quite a few occasions and to me I would place to acceleration of the M3 M-DCT to be at least on a par if not ahead.

The F430 is in another league but not the 360.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 04:43 AM   #57
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

I would say there is very little in it between the M3 and the 360. I recently went up against and drove in a 360 at a trackday. When both cars were on it, it was fairly close. The 360 driver was not pushing it in the corners which is where I think the 360 ordinarily should have the advantage.

M3 is slightly more powerful but carries more weight.

If you search youtube you will see a number of videos showing an E60 M5 owning a 360. Again it is more powerful than the M3 but carries more weight.

So I reckon the M3 and 360 are so close as to be a drivers race.

So that comment about the crack pipe is ridiculous. I agree with footie.

Mick
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #58
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
I would say there is very little in it between the M3 and the 360. I recently went up against and drove in a 360 at a trackday. When both cars were on it, it was fairly close. The 360 driver was not pushing it in the corners which is where I think the 360 ordinarily should have the advantage.

M3 is slightly more powerful but carries more weight.

If you search youtube you will see a number of videos showing an E60 M5 owning a 360. Again it is more powerful than the M3 but carries more weight.

So I reckon the M3 and 360 are so close as to be a drivers race.

So that comment about the crack pipe is ridiculous. I agree with footie.

Mick
The 360 is nothing for the M3, it dynos 40 hp less and shifts much slower than a DCT.

Considering how I did against a gallardo a 360 is nothing to sweat for a DCT M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #59
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
May I ask, have you driven a 360 before?

I have on quite a few occasions and to me I would place to acceleration of the M3 M-DCT to be at least on a par if not ahead.

The F430 is in another league but not the 360.
Good morning footie, yes a very good friend of mine back in NJ had a 360 spider, late model, and now has a 2 year old F430. I have driven both cars numerous times.

As I only had my 08 for a few hours, and my 09 for a day before I shipped it. I can only tell you from driving the dealers demo car and beating the shit out of it .... about what I thought of the acceleration and low end from the 3cars. FYI at the time of the demo I was not told about the LC, and probably for good reason.

You folks may laugh but I am a low end torque kind of a guy, hence the last two Twin Turbos. IMHO there is NO COMPARISON between the low end grunt and 0-60 speeds of these cars including the 360, and the 430. I like TORQUE, that is how I get my jollys, and unfortunately the M3 is not in the same league at least for me.

Does not mean I do not like the car as a whole, just the low end. Maybe after trying out the LC, I might have a change of opinion, but for now, no way hoseaaaaaaaaaaa.

Scott

Last edited by Captain Scott; 10-14-2008 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #60
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep

Scott

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The M3 produces more torque and at a lower rpm and has a flatter torque curve than the 360.

Whatever your experience or perception, I can tell you for a fact that an M3 and a 360 have virtually nothing between them, so your crack pipe comment (which would imply that the two are worlds apart, which they are clearly not), is what has peoples back up.

Mick
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:44 AM   #61
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
Scott

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The M3 produces more torque and at a lower rpm and has a flatter torque curve than the 360.

Whatever your experience or perception, I can tell you for a fact that an M3 and a 360 have virtually nothing between them, so your crack pipe comment (which would imply that the two are worlds apart, which they are clearly not), is what has peoples back up.

Mick
It may very well be a perception because after coming out of a car that produced 520 Ft Pounds of torque @ 3500 rpm I just might be a little biased. OK, no more CRACK PIPE COMMENTS
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #62
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
It may very well be a perception because after coming out of a car that produced 520 Ft Pounds of torque @ 3500 rpm I just might be a little biased. OK, no more CRACK PIPE COMMENTS
you can't get away with anything on this site eh?

Back on topic, can't wait to get my own software updated. 2 days to go and counting.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #63
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Tim
Did you go to Niello??? I bought mine from Elk Grove & still need to get the update?

I might take it to Elk Grove tomorrow, since I have some time..... I'll call my SA and ask him if they have the software....

Quote:

1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #64
bcc69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I took my car in this morning to get the update. My biggest complaint was the lag between pulling the paddles, and the actual shift.

Well I'm happy to report, that the lag is no longer there. This is exactly what I would expect out of MDCT. Shifts are almost instantaneous. S5 seems alittle subdued, but surge is still there.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #65
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Very cool, can't wait to get my update tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #66
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I set an appointment for an update next monday at Morristown BMW. One of the first cars to be updated on the east coast apparently.
Appreciate 0