BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

07-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
waiuphigh
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 m3 2011'

Bay area local shop for DCT fluid change

I'm looking to get the DCT fluid changed, but don't want to attempt this at home.
Anyone here have any experience or recommendations with a local bay area shop for this type of service?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Performance Technic in Fremont is popular. Wolfgang's in Walnut Creek is good.

There are also members who can help with jobs like this. Shoot playskool1 a PM. He's fun to wrench with and super competent/professional (he's in Union City). He's doing my RBs soon and did a lot of work on my former E46.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

I called Performance Technic to have this done. It's an $800 service. Let me repeat. It's an $800 service.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

What is the book hours for this job?

Depending on brand , filter and oil can cost up to $450 alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 01:37 AM   #5
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

The labor when I got it done was $495, but it was getting the Slonik pan installed, which is more involved than the standard DCT fluid flush.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

$800, ouch. That better include dropping the tranny and replacing lower and side gaskets, too!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
waiuphigh
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the responses!

I contacted several shops, but got the best quote of $455 to replace the filter and oil from Performance Auto Care in Fremont.
Have an appointment scheduled with them 2 weeks out, will chime back in once the service has been done.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
The labor when I got it done was $495, but it was getting the Slonik pan installed, which is more involved than the standard DCT fluid flush.
who did the slonik pan install?
      08-04-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
who did the slonik pan install?
Performance Technic did it. Pan has held up well, done about ~5 track days since install.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 03:59 AM   #10
dfwashere
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Hit up Trackspec
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #11
waiuphigh
Private
Rep

Update:

Earlier this week, I was underneath my car installing a new xpipe, and what you do know.. the dct under cover and dct oil pan was SOAKED in oil. Not so sure how long this was happening, but I went ahead and asked Performance Auto Care to include a gasket change as well as the oil change and to bump up the appointment ASAP. They recommended since the pan will be off, it'll be best to change the filters as well, so I said sure, let's do it.

The new quote is now $788.52 for both filter changes, gaskets, and fluid change - this includes labor and parts. Fairly reasonable for me! I took the car in on Thursday morning and was able to get it back by evening. During the servicing, I get a call from the shop telling me a gasket change may not entirely stop the leak because of the pan and something about the bolts (disclaimer, it didn't sound like a BS reason, i just can't recall what was said ) - they recommended that it'll be best to order a new pan (aftermarket, non-plastic one) and to get it installed. I thought about it and I really wanted to go this route, but I couldn't cough up another several hundred bucks at that moment, so I insisted that it'll be okay to reuse the current pan and just stick to the original plan. I let them know I'll inspect that region of the car every so often and if and when I see the leak start to occur again, I'll purchase a new pan and have them have a go at it again. So we ended the conversation there and they went to do their magic on the car.

When I went in to pick up the car, I was shocked (keep reading): they went ahead and replaced the pan with a new OEM pan... so of course, in my head I'm going "okay I guess I'll just have to cough up a few more bucks..no problem..", but to my surprise they told me they'll stick to the original quote and the reason they replaced the pan was simply because they didn't feel comfortable using the old pan for the sake of the damaging the DCT in the long run. Incredible!! I never had a shop that went out of their way to do something like this, this was the first. Honest guys doing honest work and I'm glad this shop is literally 8 minutes away from my house.

Now I have to wonder why BMW decided to go with a plastic pan...
The next purchase for this car will be a non-plastic DCT pan, any suggestions?

ps - Sorry if this post went on a tangent from talking about DCT fluid change to reviewing a shop Just had to give credit where it's due.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, 2018 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiuphigh View Post
Update:

Earlier this week, I was underneath my car installing a new xpipe, and what you do know.. the dct under cover and dct oil pan was SOAKED in oil. Not so sure how long this was happening, but I went ahead and asked Performance Auto Care to include a gasket change as well as the oil change and to bump up the appointment ASAP. They recommended since the pan will be off, it'll be best to change the filters as well, so I said sure, let's do it.

The new quote is now $788.52 for both filter changes, gaskets, and fluid change - this includes labor and parts. Fairly reasonable for me! I took the car in on Thursday morning and was able to get it back by evening. During the servicing, I get a call from the shop telling me a gasket change may not entirely stop the leak because of the pan and something about the bolts (disclaimer, it didn't sound like a BS reason, i just can't recall what was said ) - they recommended that it'll be best to order a new pan (aftermarket, non-plastic one) and to get it installed. I thought about it and I really wanted to go this route, but I couldn't cough up another several hundred bucks at that moment, so I insisted that it'll be okay to reuse the current pan and just stick to the original plan. I let them know I'll inspect that region of the car every so often and if and when I see the leak start to occur again, I'll purchase a new pan and have them have a go at it again. So we ended the conversation there and they went to do their magic on the car.

When I went in to pick up the car, I was shocked (keep reading): they went ahead and replaced the pan with a new OEM pan... so of course, in my head I'm going "okay I guess I'll just have to cough up a few more bucks..no problem..", but to my surprise they told me they'll stick to the original quote and the reason they replaced the pan was simply because they didn't feel comfortable using the old pan for the sake of the damaging the DCT in the long run. Incredible!! I never had a shop that went out of their way to do something like this, this was the first. Honest guys doing honest work and I'm glad this shop is literally 8 minutes away from my house.

Now I have to wonder why BMW decided to go with a plastic pan...
The next purchase for this car will be a non-plastic DCT pan, any suggestions?

ps - Sorry if this post went on a tangent from talking about DCT fluid change to reviewing a shop Just had to give credit where it's due.
I am not sure but I believe that you can't replace just the seal on the pan. I believe that it is one unit.
I guess they quoted for a seal and discovered that they have to replace the whole oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
waiuphigh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
I am not sure but I believe that you can't replace just the seal on the pan. I believe that it is one unit.
I guess they quoted for a seal and discovered that they have to replace the whole oil pan.
Interesting - if that's true, then i'm glad the pan was changed out during the process.
Appreciate 0