BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

08-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

WingZeroX5's 150k+ Blackstone Oil Samples

Instead of creating another thread for my Blackstone reports, I'm going to keep this thread alive with a record of all of my oil analysis reports after I get them back after each OCI.

2 July 2018 - Deleted old reports, since Blackstone keeps a running history. Updated this thread and my maintenance thread here to reflect. Note on coolant: I have an explanation for that in my other thread in post #37. Sample date is suppose to say 6/22 not 1/22

=================================================
27 Dec 2017 - New report added // Forgot to grab TBN's. I did use the new T6 formulation.

==================================================

Original Thread: Rotella T6 Blackstone Report for 150K maintenance

I got my report back from Blackstone after completing my 150K maintenance, as documented here. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410659

So when's my engine going to grenade again?

YES I AM ON ORIGINAL BEARINGS
YES I AM ON ORIGINAL TA's

I just know someone's going to ask.
Attached Images

Last edited by WingZeroX5; 10-28-2018 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: changed title, updated thread
Appreciate 3
      08-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Looks fine. Pay for TBN and TAN next time.
      08-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Congrats ! You run with a winner from the German lottery...
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
cenix379.00
dr3wzilla138.00
      08-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Congrats ! You run with a winner from the German lottery...
Rofl
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Was surprised to see you running the Rotella T6 which a lot of other car guys love (I had this in my STI). I already know it's a great oil, but I also "heard" it's bad for the catalytic converters... any truth in this?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
Was surprised to see you running the Rotella T6 which a lot of other car guys love (I had this in my STI). I already know it's a great oil, but I also "heard" it's bad for the catalytic converters... any truth in this?
Ive been passing inspection every single year in every car i've owned using this oil.
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
rdoctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
I'm sure a real engineer or engine builder will chime in but supposedly a vast majority of the bearing wear occurs fairly early in the engine life when tolerances are tighter and proper break in is critical, which is when you would see the highest amounts of lead and copper (in 08-09 engines) in Blackstone reports. Once the wear has occurred over time the tolerances between the rod and the bearings loosen up and the friction decreases somewhat...so less lead/copper would be spun off. I'm not remotely an expert in this area but based on the research I've done...I don't think this report can be read that your bearings are in great shape. Maybe they are...maybe they are not.

SOLD: e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Dinan: Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// BBS e88 18x9.5 et19; 18x10.5 et19 on PS4 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoctor View Post
I'm sure a real engineer or engine builder will chime in but supposedly a vast majority of the bearing wear occurs fairly early in the engine life when tolerances are tighter and proper break in is critical, which is when you would see the highest amounts of lead and copper (in 08-09 engines) in Blackstone reports. Once the wear has occurred over time the tolerances between the rod and the bearings loosen up and the friction decreases somewhat...so less lead/copper would be spun off. I'm not remotely an expert in this area but based on the research I've done...I don't think this report can be read that your bearings are in great shape. Maybe they are...maybe they are not.
Not suggesting my bearings are in great shape since the only way to really know is to take them apart. I did the report because someone asked me about it a while ago and I said I'd do it when I hit 150K. Plus, this gives more data for those who are interested and said my engine would explode...80k miles ago.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #9
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Quote:
Not suggesting my bearings are in great shape since the only way to really know is to take them apart. I did the report because someone asked me about it a while ago and I said I'd do it when I hit 150K. Plus, this gives more data for those who are interested and said my engine would explode...80k miles ago.
Are you the original owner!
      08-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
What you said makes sense. But it's mainly dependent on how often the engine is redlined.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Only if you burn tons and tons of oil. Like obliterate through the stuff. Otherwise you're not going to hurt anything.

This IS great oil, but the s65 needs 10w60. Now I heard that the bearings in this engine weren't designed properly and that you're better off running 10w50, but 5w40 oil is too thin and best left for cold weather use.

Also, shell rotella has a lot of detergents so it's not the best for your engine to run this stuff over and over again, but rather on the occasional oil change just to keep things clean.
Appreciate 1
cenix379.00
      08-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
Quote:
Only if you burn tons and tons of oil. Like obliterate through the stuff. Otherwise you're not going to hurt anything.

This IS great oil, but the s65 needs 10w60. Now I heard that the bearings in this engine weren't designed properly and that you're better off running 10w50, but 5w40 oil is too thin and best left for cold weather use.

Also, shell rotella has a lot of detergents so it's not the best for your engine to run this stuff over and over again, but rather on the occasional oil change just to keep things clean.
Then it must be doing a great job if I am going on 150k+ on the engine and about 80k miles on this oil. Also with a blackstone report of them saying better than most engines they've tested, if that means anything
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #13
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
I already know it's a great oil, but I also "heard" it's bad for the catalytic converters... any truth in this?
It's no worse for cat converters than any other automotive oil.

Quote:
I've never heard that before. Can you please provide a source? Just because an oil has "a lot of detergents" (dubious claim) doesn't mean you can't run it. The opposite is true, however -- "race" oils often have little to no detergents and shouldn't be used in a road car.
cenix379.00
      08-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It's no worse for cat converters than any other automotive oil.

I've never heard that before. Can you please provide a source? Just because an oil has "a lot of detergents" (dubious claim) doesn't mean you can't run it. The opposite is true, however -- "race" oils often have little to no detergents and shouldn't be used in a road car.
My friend. It is a diesel oil. Diesel oils have added cleaning detergents for Diesel engines. If you Haven't checked their website before then i highly suggest you do so.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6...synthetic.html

Look under improved deposit control.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Many run it in gas motors. I have read people write about the added detergents in diesel oil on the internet, but never read of anyone actually having a problem running T6 in gas engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #16
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My friend. It is a diesel oil. Diesel oils have added cleaning detergents for Diesel engines. If you Haven't checked their website before then i highly suggest you do so.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6...synthetic.html

Look under improved deposit control.
It's also API/SM and JASO MA rated

It's kinda sad that even an informational thread to provide more data as to how my engine is lasting 150K without catastrophic (read: bearing) problems, always matriculates into an oil pissing war.

I'm not forcing anyone to use what I use or do what I do. If you have the brains to buy an M3, then you are more than capable of figuring out your own maintenance routines. I'm just providing the community another data point to consider.

Anyways, like I said, if there is that much detergent inside the T6, then it is certainly working. Or, when do you predict my engine will grenade? Just passed 151K coming home from work btw.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #17
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
How much does a report cost?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post
How much does a report cost?
$27? $28? One of the two, less than $30 definitely.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #19
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
Quote:
$27? $28? One of the two, less than $30 definitely.
wow that's pretty cheap. thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It's also API/SM and JASO MA rated

It's kinda sad that even an informational thread to provide more data as to how my engine is lasting 150K without catastrophic (read: bearing) problems, always matriculates into an oil pissing war.

I'm not forcing anyone to use what I use or do what I do. If you have the brains to buy an M3, then you are more than capable of figuring out your own maintenance routines. I'm just providing the community another data point to consider.

Anyways, like I said, if there is that much detergent inside the T6, then it is certainly working. Or, when do you predict my engine will grenade? Just passed 151K coming home from work btw.
I never said that this oil is not good for your car. If your bearings are still in good shape given your mileage then you're clearly doing something weong unlike the people putting 0w40 Mobil 1 into their s65.

You need to re read my first post. I said that shell rotella is great oil, but The detergents MIGHT make it not the best choice for long term use. With that being said, it is still far better quality oil then Mobil 1 or Castrol (which is what the majority use)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #21
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If your bearings are still in good shape given your mileage then you're clearly doing something weong unlike the people putting 0w40 Mobil 1 into their s65.
Wait, what?

Quote:
You need to re read my first post. I said that shell rotella is great oil, but The detergents MIGHT make it not the best choice for long term use. With that being said, it is still far better quality oil then Mobil 1 or Castrol (which is what the majority use)
Also, I meant to say that as a general statement, didn't mean it to direct it to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
I never said that this oil is not good for your car. If your bearings are still in good shape given your mileage then you're clearly doing something weong unlike the people putting 0w40 Mobil 1 into their s65.

What is long term use? More than the 80k by the OP?

If T6 was far better quality than M1 or Castrol how come no performance cars specify it and instead use those oils that you claim are far lower quality?
Appreciate 0