BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

Mporium BMW

01-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
AlexxelA
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White BMW M3

Need advice about moving

Going to move from Dallas to Chicago, and have two options to move right now or in a month, so wanna ask should I wait or not, cos I think there are a lot of transportation companies on holidays, and as result I will pay extra if move now so if somebody can know for sure I would be happy if you help with your advice.
And also want to ask for some recomendations about house moving and car shipping companies, it's my first time I'am relocating and have no idea which one should I choose?
Thx for any usefull answer!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

for the car, I would drive it. Seems safer than transportation companies
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #3
AlexxelA
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White BMW M3

Unfortunately can't allow myself a long trip, cos working remote have no free time for 3 or even more days trip
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 08:05 PM   #4
Johnjojoj
Kinda of a CrAzY person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw x5 xdrive35i

I think all those who are working as in transportation business there are no time for rest, always need to work even on holidays, I'ld like to say that rather hire effect made covid on price, than all holidays all together.
And about companies recomendations, for house moving company have no idea cos not an expert, but with car shipping, I moved my cars 5 times, first experience was really bad but other 4 was nice and last 3 was this year with shipvehicles, cool guys do their fast and without any headache, try to get their quote I think you will be satisfied and use them again if you need. Check their site, cos they are offer some discounts, so you can ask about it.
Though as it was said earlier its better to drive your car, it's cheaper than use any service.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Assuming based on the forum, the OP has an M3. Driving that from Dallas to Chicago in the winter is a tall ask. Texans won't have snow tires and Midwest will require them at minimum. Shipping is definitely the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Assuming based on the forum, the OP has an M3. Driving that from Dallas to Chicago in the winter is a tall ask. Texans won't have snow tires and Midwest will require them at minimum. Shipping is definitely the way to go.
he's going to need winters in Chicago anyway! Before having someone ship my car I'm willling to do plenty of things. TX to Chicago is not Boston to San Fran
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Ship the car. It's just easier, especially like mentioned with snow and whatnot up north. It will still be winter up there through March-April.
Make sure the shipping company moving your house has good insurance and logistics reviews. Last thing you want in a cross-country move is to break or lose things. Some things may get damaged, but you want at least to be sure you have good coverage. It gets pricey, so if its a work relocation, make sure they help you cover some expenses.
Also, if you need help selling your Dallas house, I do real estate in DFW

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #8
Ben Ingraham
On-Ramp Speedway Champion
Rep
Drives: 2009 SS E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
If you're still needing transportation for your car (E92,E90) I'll try to help you out. I just picked up a E92 in NY and trailered it to KS. Covered trailer.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 10:00 PM   #9
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserks View Post
I advise you to move in a month. You can carefully prepare for the move, get rid of unnecessary things, choose a mover.
Second this! I used to live in Chicago before moving down to St. Louis, and even though early March can be very cold, Jan/Feb is most coldest time of the year. And yes you will need a different set of tires, maybe not winter tires but at least a good set of all season ones. I move from AZ to Chicago to go to a grad school and I drove my rear wheel drive IS200 in a summer tires and my first winter was horrible! GL with the move!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 10:50 PM   #10
joe6mt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3/6MT

Ship the M3, peace of mind. Jan/Feb is considered the coldest month in Chicago, it extremely cold, sub zero temp, wind chills lake effects go below Negative from 1-10+.

Last time I drove my M3 was back in Aug 21. since then put it in hibernation hooked up a C-tek trickle charger. plan on taking it out and put some heat in the motor during spring/fall timeframe when my current job schedule allow me to.

I had Pilot Sport AS3 on my beater Honda, work perfectly fine, they salted and plowed the St/Highway very consistent.

Good Luck on your Move and Welcome to the windy city. get yourself a Bullet Proof Vest. JK....
      11-22-2023, 06:26 PM   #11
Grayway
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Moving can be a big decision, and it's excellent that you're seeking advice. When it comes to moving from Dallas to Chicago, timing can indeed impact transportation options and costs.
Regarding house moving and car shipping companies, thorough research is essential. Check online reviews, request quotes from multiple companies, and don't hesitate to ask about their experience with long-distance moves like yours.
I'm currently planning my own move to another city, and I've been considering the services of Three Men And A Truck moving company. They have a reputable track record and offer various services, which could also benefit your move.

Last edited by Grayway; 11-23-2023 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 0