BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

Mporium BMW

07-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
BPM Sport Tune Review

I thought I would outline my experience of purchasing a BPMSport engine and DCT tune through M3 world.

Flashing: The instructions were incorrect which led to flashing errors and my car not starting. I had to leave it at work over the weekend with the battery disconnected as the car was freaking out with the wipers going and the lights wouldn’t turn off. After a few emails back and forth it was figured out and I got the car flashed.

Results: Purely seat of the pants, power feels the same as having a test pipe with no tune. The added features (cold start delete, cold start rev limit, increased rev limit etc) are nice and I think my fuel economy may have slightly improved.

DCT Tune: I have noticed zero difference. This may be because I only drive in M5.

Servotronic changes: Dave from M3 world recommended I don’t go with this option but I ignored that as I saw so many positive forum reviews. I found the steering in sport really weird and inconsistent. I asked Dave if I could go back normal servo mapping and was told this would cost US$150 and his hands are tied on the matter.

I then asked on a thread on this board if anyone else found Benvo’s servo mapping weird. There was a short back and forth between Mike and myself. I can’t go back to exactly what was said as Mike has since deleted the entire thread. This has disappointed me the most and does not strike me as the reaction of someone who is completely confident in their product.

I wish I had done some more research before purchasing.

Also want to say throughout all of this Dave from M3world has been nothing but helpful and professional.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Odd, iv had nothing but great interactions with Mike. I myself love the servotronic, its actually one of the best features to me of any tune iv put on this car hands down. Never noticed anything weird with it, what exactly is yours doing??
I also run his coding sofware, I can't comment on his DCT tuning as im manual trans. I even swung by his house when I was in california and took a look at his M's.
Got to look at his Harrop SC kit he has on one as well which the fit and finish is pretty dam impressive in person. BPM is the tuner for the Harrop kits as well.
I am going back to ESS tune simply because of my 4.4L low compression stroker/blower build im doing which they have a nice premade tune already made for. But I will badly miss the servotronic

Far as Mike not changing the servo mapping back to normal without a fee.. Iv never had any issues with having him change anything on a tune thats already paid for, he even checked the fault codes on my car and fixed a few things while switching a option on my tune. Even got a free map update
Far as the drama between the tuners... That shit is bone deep, I take no sides in it and have no idea whos right whos crooked whos a hacker etc etc.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc

Last edited by squartus; 07-20-2016 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #3
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I thought I would outline my experience of purchasing a BPMSport engine and DCT tune through M3 world.

Flashing: The instructions were incorrect which led to flashing errors and my car not starting. I had to leave it at work over the weekend with the battery disconnected as the car was freaking out with the wipers going and the lights wouldn’t turn off. After a few emails back and forth it was figured out and I got the car flashed.

Results: Purely seat of the pants, power feels the same as having a test pipe with no tune. The added features (cold start delete, cold start rev limit, increased rev limit etc) are nice and I think my fuel economy may have slightly improved.

DCT Tune: I have noticed zero difference. This may be because I only drive in M5.

Servotronic changes: Dave from M3 world recommended I don’t go with this option but I ignored that as I saw so many positive forum reviews. I found the steering in sport really weird and inconsistent. I asked Dave if I could go back normal servo mapping and was told this would cost US$150 and his hands are tied on the matter.

I then asked on a thread on this board if anyone else found Benvo’s servo mapping weird. There was a short back and forth between Mike and myself. I can’t go back to exactly what was said as Mike has since deleted the entire thread. This has disappointed me the most and does not strike me as the reaction of someone who is completely confident in their product.

Also want to say throughout all of this Dave from M3world has been nothing but helpful and professional.
Dave from m3 world is great the problem is definitely nothing to do with him but he will still try and help you where he can.

I've msg back and forth with benvo and i caught him out lying to me he send me a msg saying he had a tune for the ssp clutches to work then next week posted on a thread that they need to go through a relearning procedure...after that i would never use anything with his name on it
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM VT3 View Post
Dave from m3 world is great the problem is definitely nothing to do with him but he will still try and help you where he can.

I've msg back and forth with benvo and i caught him out lying to me he send me a msg saying he had a tune for the ssp clutches to work then next week posted on a thread that they need to go through a relearning procedure...after that i would never use anything with his name on it
I have no problem with Dave. Like I said he has been nothing but professional and helpful.

Benvo does have trouble keeping his story straight. In the deleted thread he wrote that no one out of the thousands of customers had ever complained about the servo changes, then in a PM wrote
Quote:
The select few customers that didn't like the servo changes simply contacted us and asked us what we could do. You decided to make negative comments on a thread that was full of positivity, despite my saying numerous times to contact us directly with any questions.
And he didn't say numerous times to contact him directly. He told me to contact my dealer, which I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 11:50 PM   #5
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Right Hand Driver?

Quote:

Servotronic changes: Dave from M3 world recommended I don’t go with this option but I ignored that as I saw so many positive forum reviews. I found the steering in sport really weird and inconsistent.

G'day Nugget - I wonder if the weirdness is with our cars being right hand drive and somehow the servo mapping is "handed" (or, as they in the science world, if the mapping is dependent on the chirality of the car). I can't imagine how having the steering wheel on the other side of a car would make any difference, but as a software engineer I've been surprised in the past by other, equally insignificant details that turn out to be important when you have to write code to handle it. Perhaps differing left-hand/right-hand maximum turn radius values that screw up some geometric function in the servo module. My 2 cents... not that you can get a 2 cent coin anymore...

Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
G'day Nugget - I wonder if the weirdness is with our cars being right hand drive and somehow the servo mapping is "handed" (or, as they in the science world, if the mapping is dependent on the chirality of the car). I can't imagine how having the steering wheel on the other side of a car would make any difference, but as a software engineer I've been surprised in the past by other, equally insignificant details that turn out to be important when you have to write code to handle it. Perhaps differing left-hand/right-hand maximum turn radius values that screw up some geometric function in the servo module. My 2 cents... not that you can get a 2 cent coin anymore...

Hope you get it sorted.
Interesting point.
I can get around the servo changes by just leaving it in Normal rather than Sport. What really bugged me was him deleting posts.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #7
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

You may want to read the forum rules...there were several of your earlier posts, subsequently deleted, that were in direct violation of forum rules.

Quote:
Interesting point.
I can get around the servo changes by just leaving it in Normal rather than Sport. What really bugged me was him deleting posts.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
You may want to read the forum rules...there were several of your earlier posts, subsequently deleted, that were in direct violation of forum rules.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/announcement.php?f=8&a=2

Ok I see rule 9. Noted and won't happen again.

However the initial deleted posts violated no rules.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I wish I had done some more research before purchasing as a simple Google search of “Mike Benvo” produces some interesting results.

Wondering why you bought through a 3rd party dealer and not directly through bpm? I'm sorry to hear you have had issues though!

I have been running the bpm tune and dct tune for 6 months no with no issues what so ever! The support from Mike on the install and among the other stuff I had him perform was outstanding! Between the phone calls and text he always responded within minutes to me! I went from an existing tune of another manufacture to the bpm tune. It was a significant difference! Bpm was much smoother and power delivery was even throughout rpms. Dct was most noticeable in normal driving and sport. Gear changes smoother and firmer. I did not get the servotronic changes done. All in all I was very pleased from the services provided from Mike at Bpm!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/announcement.php?f=8&a=2

Ok I see rule 9. Noted and won't happen again.

However the initial deleted posts violated no rules.
looks like your feedback about Mike has been deleted from Vendor feedback.

I am wondering why there is vendor feedback section if you are only allowed to post positive comments on some vendors
Appreciate 3
      07-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #11
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about your experience. There is an unavoidable 1% of customers that are not happy. It's rare, but I'm sure every business experiences this at some point.

I spoke to your vendor about the instructions he provided you, and his comment was that the instructions that were sent were not read completely. He went on to say that there were complaints that the tuning didn't give the same results as tune's you've done to turbo cars before, which is expected. He also said "he tried to use the BPM flash software to tune the DCT complained about that too despite specific instructions I have in addition to yours stressing there are 2 programs for flashing the ECU and DCT".

I can not comment on this, as I did not supply the instructions to you. Dave called me late at night and I explained to him how to recover your ECU after the flash didn't complete. Windshield wipers going off signifies a low battery or flashing the vehicle with the ignition not on, which the manual stresses to avoid both scenarios.

The three year old servotronic thread was pulled because it turned into arguing about instructions which thousands of people have followed without any issues.

Quote:
There was no lying here so I'm sorry you feel this way. We met with SSP to load DCT software to the vehicle which ran those clutches, but there was an issue with the clutch packs. SSP wound up putting the stock clutch packs on one side, and ran the SSP packs on the other side, we loaded the software, and the car still drives fine to this date if I recall correctly. This customer is on this forum and I'm sure he'd be happy to confirm this.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. There is an unavoidable 1% of customers that are not happy. It's rare, but I'm sure every business experiences this at some point.

I spoke to your vendor about the instructions he provided you, and his comment was that the instructions that were sent were not read completely. He went on to say that there were complaints that the tuning didn't give the same results as tune's you've done to turbo cars before, which is expected. He also said "he tried to use the BPM flash software to tune the DCT complained about that too despite specific instructions I have in addition to yours stressing there are 2 programs for flashing the ECU and DCT".

I can not comment on this, as I did not supply the instructions to you. Dave called me late at night and I explained to him how to recover your ECU after the flash didn't complete. Windshield wipers going off signifies a low battery or flashing the vehicle with the ignition not on, which the manual stresses to avoid both scenarios.

The three year old servotronic thread was pulled because it turned into arguing about instructions which thousands of people have followed without any issues.

There was no lying here so I'm sorry you feel this way. We met with SSP to load DCT software to the vehicle which ran those clutches, but there was an issue with the clutch packs. SSP wound up putting the stock clutch packs on one side, and ran the SSP packs on the other side, we loaded the software, and the car still drives fine to this date if I recall correctly. This customer is on this forum and I'm sure he'd be happy to confirm this.
But a week later they had to go through the bmw relearning procedure and no tune was needed....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
But a week later they had to go through the bmw relearning procedure and no tune was needed....
It needed to go through this procedure regardless because the clutches were changed. When I met with them, I attempted to perform this procedure, but it would not successfully complete because something was wrong at the hardware level. If I recall correctly this was more than three years ago.

I spoke with the customer a couple hours ago, and his supercharged M3 is still running strong with both the BPM engine and transmission flashes.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 01:16 AM   #14
RedMau5
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:

I have had a engine and DCT tune on my Frozen E92 for 2-1/2 years. The shifting is excellent with the tune as the car springs forward into the next gear very smoothly. No issues at all. The engine tune works well with my VF supercharger as the BPM software is aggressive but conservative at the same time protecting the naturally aspirated V8.

I have always had great response and service from Mike at BPM Sport as he always has done what he says. Even goes for test rides to explain the programming and listens to what I'm trying to get out of the car before recommending all the options.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 04:32 AM   #15
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I didn't get Benvo's DCT tune, but I have had his stage 2 tune for the last year or so and it's great. Even did it myself and the instructions were spot on. They were spot on again when I uploaded the Burble Tune. Not sure which set of instructions you got, but the PDF that Mike sends out with every tune is spot on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #16
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd
I didn't get Benvo's DCT tune, but I have had his stage 2 tune for the last year or so and it's great. Even did it myself and the instructions were spot on. They were spot on again when I uploaded the Burble Tune. Not sure which set of instructions you got, but the PDF that Mike sends out with every tune is spot on.
Much appreciated. We put a lot of time and energy into making the manuals comprehensive and easy to follow. We always prefer customers coming directly to us, although many defer to vendors in their area. Whenever there are any changes, we always push this information to the vendors to pass on to their customers as well.

Glad you are enjoying the software and if you want to give the DCT flash a shot, shoot me a PM as I'd love your feedback on it.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 04:57 AM   #17
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
[QUOTE=Nugget;20288711]I thought I would outline my experience of purchasing a BPMSport engine and DCT tune through M3 world.

Firstly sorry to hear about the issues and thanks for the kind comments.

It’s my responsibility as the Distributor of BPM Sport for your region to ensure you have what you need to successfully deploy the ECU/DCT tuning when you don’t want any personal assistance. I therefore have to reply to this post. I take this very seriously and did supply all the files and instructions needed to successfully deploy the tuning. There is a readme file included that gives directions regarding procedures, file deployment download locations and any supplementary notes such as how to prepare a Win8/8.1/10 installation to accept unsigned drivers.

With all the paperwork included it’s easy to gloss over the essential information if you’ve done this sort of thing before. The BPM instructions you received were current at the time of issue but did not account for the possibility a Dealership firmware update (241E) might have been deployed.

This was covered in the supplementary notes instructing to flash the supplied 240E file before overlaying the tuned file. If this was done there would have been no issue.

The other point you make is that you did not notice any real gains in the DCT software.

As you had recently purchased the car from a Dealership there are a few possibilities, most likely is the car had been ECU/DCT tuned by the previous owner and the Dealer flashed over the top of the tuned ECU file with 241E to wipe the tune. This would not wipe a DCT tune and it’s the only plausible explanation why you would not have noticed any difference.

Sadly you didn’t call when this occurred as we would have been able to correct the issue within minutes without inconvenience to you rather than you leaving the car and emailing later. Fortunately it was resolved quickly and you were able to flash the car successfully once the battery was charged.

If you or anyone has any difficulty don’t hesitate to call. For those who are not comfortable deploying tuning files either phone support or connected remote access support is available at no cost and in any reasonable hours including the weekend.

I’ve been working with Mike a number of years and he has in every instance replied within minutes to any question or taken calls after normal working hours.

Again I’m very sorry this has happened to you, and that a negative post has ensued, regardless you have my commitment to assisting where possible
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #18
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I think we are getting hung up on the tuning process here.
The real issue I have is with Benvo deleting posts.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
The servotronic thread was never intended to be a thread about flashing instructions that were outdated/incorrect, and posting wrong information will only serve to confuse the community and potential customers.

There have been people in the past that we have gone above and beyond the call of duty for if they simply contact us in a professional manner with a positive attitude toward a mutual solution.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #20
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Were more of my posts deleted?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 01:24 AM   #21
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
I think we are getting hung up on the tuning process here.
The real issue I have is with Benvo deleting posts.
Your post title says "BPMsport tune review" so naturally people would get hung up on that aspect. If the title was "my posts got deleted" perhaps you wouldn't be getting the responses your getting. Idk just a thought.

I feel obliged to say Benvo has been fantastic from my perspective as a stage 2 customer. On a number of occasions he has returned text messages within minutes of me sending them. Bummer things went poorly for you. Hope your able to move forward and enjoy your ride.
      12-14-2020, 11:15 PM   #22
BlackBeans
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | F15 X5 50i

I would just like to give my opinion as well on BPM's (Mike's) tune for the e9x platform.
I recently purchased both the engine (stage 1) and DCT tunes for my car, and LOVE THEM!

For context, my car is a 2009 e90 M3 and basically stock. Only engine modifications are an AFE drop in filter and a Supersprint axle back exhaust. Super basic.

I was/am generally pretty happy with the car overall prior to the tunes, no major complaints. Of course we always want more power, but if anything my only complaints were related to drivability: the 3-2 DCT downshift being clunky coming to a stop, slow R engagement, general random slugishness in shifting (ESPECIALLY in automatic shifting mode), etc. Like any car that any of us have ever owned, we learn to drive AROUND certain bad habits that our cars have and get the most from them. BUT OOOOOOOH man, Mike's tune really woke this car up and got the tranny in order, really really.

First off, it's DEFINITELY making a bit more power. I know the whole argument about butt-dynos and subjective bullshit, yeah yeah and I agree, but it's making more power no doubt. I am breaking traction at speeds and in gears that I normally dont, and finding the car just generally having a MUCH easier time going through the rev range. I honestly wasn't expecting to really be gaining much power if any from the tune (particularly because I was still staying stage 1 with the stock cats), just given how high strung our cars are from factory and being naturally aspirated, but it definitely feels really good all around and more powerful (the extra low end grunt is really convenient). Even when you're not loading the engine, you can tell it's just running smoother and feels more "connected."
In regards to the engine tune, the standout feature for me is the revised throttle profiles. I always wished our throttle was just more responsive across the board, while being more aggressive when I want it to be like in power-mode, but also even LESS aggressive when in normal settings, which it is all of those things now. But most importantly is that the engine and throttle are now so much more linear, in all modes/settings. I hated using sport + before for my M mode, because the throttle would be so twitchy that it was a nuisance during cornering situations, but now it's truly linear in feeling which gives the car some much needed predictability when you're trying to run in aggressive power settings and do some tracking/canyon running.

For me though I really really am equally as excited by the DCT tune as I am from the engine tune. The DCT is a great transmission but has a few weird tendencies that you notice especially if you daily drive the car like shifting behaviors and lag.
The tune COMPLETELY changed the way this transmission feels, night and day difference. In automatic shifting mode, the transmission is SO much more responsive AND also smoother than it was before, both off the line and in terms of shifting. In aggressive manual modes, this thing is so crisp now and the increased shift aggressiveness in higher modes is honestly pretty great. It's so engaging and shifts so hard lol, the car almost feels like it lunges forward now at every upshift.

I am so used to doing little things to get around characteristics of our car that I didn't like, such as going into manual mode (when in auto) to downshift gears at certain times to AVOID clunking when coming to a stop, or NOT even using the throttle setting in "power mode" when canyon driving or tracking just because the throttle response was so freaking touchy and NOT linear that it became almost dangerous fast situations... NO MORE.

If ANY of you guys is like me, sitting on the fence for 3 years about whether or not to tune, just do it. It honestly has transformed the car, giving it that tiny bit of more pep that we urge for, but more than anything has eliminated nearly all of the car's bad habits/behaviors.
I really gotta say for all you DCT guys out there, if I had to do just one tune and not both, i'd choose the transmission tune. It's literally almost as smooth as a torque converter tranny now, but even more crazy when in higher settings, it's great. I can't get enough of it, it feels like the tranny really listens to you now if that makes sense.
And also if you were like me, hesitating on the tune because you can't decide if you wanna go catless or not, just do what makes you comfortable and get the tune anyways. With stage 2 you'll make great power, it's much faster (i've had the chance to drive a couple stage 2 M3's) but even with stage 1 you're getting enough to really feel it and enjoy driving the car again, with all the drivability and response improvements too.

10/10 Review from me, and Mike was very helpful and accessible throughout the process as well. Definitely recommend the product, and thank you for helping me to re-discover my love for this car Mike
Appreciate 0