BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #23
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible (JZB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Mate, My situation is still ongoing 9 months later. So far my dealers have had and rejected 10 replacements, all squint.

Infact you’ve jogged my memory, it’s been radio silence for a couple of months. I sort of feel they are trying to brush it under the carpet.
Yikes - that's absolutely terrible, now I'm worried that I won't be able to get this addressed either. I'm wondering if this is related to COVID at all - I've been waiting to get a few other parts for almost a year now and supplies have been really limited.

I was really hoping that it would be a while before I had a reason to call the BMW NA Executive Office again.... sigh.
Past (6MT) 2007 E92 SG - 2007 E92 MB - 2014 F30 335xi EB II
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #24
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Yikes - that's absolutely terrible, now I'm worried that I won't be able to get this addressed either. I'm wondering if this is related to COVID at all - I've been waiting to get a few other parts for almost a year now and supplies have been really limited.

I was really hoping that it would be a while before I had a reason to call the BMW NA Executive Office again.... sigh.
If it’s any consolation, the sound over the 1k miles it’s been fitted has improved dramatically. It sounds absolutely amazing now. Definately more volume than when it was first fitted.

I’ve sort of gotten over it now really, I will chase them up, but it no longer bugs the hell out of me. In all honesty though, yours looks perhaps worse than mine in terms of angle. Did you verify that it was a version 3?

One of the replacements that turned up was pretty decent but it was a version 2.

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #25
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One of the replacements that turned up was pretty decent but it was a version 2.
The version I received is Version 3 - do you know what was changed? I know that the Version 2 was supposed to correct the issues that were had in the past with cracking, etc.

I'm (also) concerned that the tips don't stick out far enough past the bumper... are the logos visible for you when you're standing above the rear of the car?

I actually haven't even fired up the car yet because I wasn't sure if I needed to make an exchange before using the part, but I see this is going to be a longer term fix now, so I will likely end up using it.

Last edited by Zap; 06-22-2021 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:39 AM   #26
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
The version I received is Version 3 - do you know what was changed? I know that the Version 2 was supposed to correct the issues that were had in the past with cracking, etc.

I'm (also) concerned that the tips don't stick out far enough past the bumper... are the logos visible for you when you're standing above the rear of the car?

I actually haven't even fired up the car yet because I wasn't sure if I needed to make an exchange before using the part, but I see this is going to be a longer term fix now, so I will likely end up using it.

Hi Zap.

So my dealer parts manager just called, I never contacted him first so things must have been moving behind the scenes.

Anyways he said that BMW have recognised a fault now, they have suspended production and delivery of the MPE’s until the end of July. He expects my new exhaust to arrive around that time or into August and should hopefully be perfect. Who knows it may be the version 4.

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #27
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Zap.

So my dealer parts manager just called, I never contacted him first so things must have been moving behind the scenes.

Anyways he said that BMW have recognised a fault now, they have suspended production and delivery of the MPE’s until the end of July. He expects my new exhaust to arrive around that time or into August and should hopefully be perfect. Who knows it may be the version 4.
Kudos for keeping me updated on this! Glad to hear that they've been working on things. I've been waiting weeks now to get a bolt identified that broke on the reinforcement bars that stiffen the convertible chassis. They had to reach out to Germany for input. So I haven't moved the car or fired up the exhaust.

That's good that the fault is finally identified. I'm totally fine with waiting if I know it will be resolved properly. Has there been mention of a 4th revision to the design?

I'll update on my end once the dealership can look at the car to address the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #28
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, I finally got my car into the dealership to address the issue with the exhaust. I will say that I've been enjoying the sound of it quite a bit in the meantime.

I told them that you mentioned BMW is aware of the fault, as they were afraid of ordering in exhausts only for them to be defective as well. They've opened up a case and should be able to get back to me once a new part can be ordered or they get some other type of update. I'll keep everyone posted in terms of when I see a resolution as well.
Appreciate 1
Colinv64013.50
      05-14-2022, 08:26 PM   #29
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Figure I owe an update - I've had a few things come up that put this on the back burner. Late last fall the dealership said BMW acknowledged the manufacturing issue - subsequently in winter they ordered a replacement unit.

Now that the weather is nice I need to take the car in to have the exhaust switched out with the good one, but they have a new one waiting.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:04 AM   #30
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OK - Final update. I recently was able to get the exhaust exchanged under warranty and the new muffler has properly engraved tips on it. Everything looks and sounds great, so if anyone is planning to order one of these, hopefully the bad ones are all out of circulation now.
Appreciate 4