BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-26-2022, 08:13 PM   #21759
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
I reached out to Essex. Unfortunately I already ordered fresh ds1.11 last week since I have Laguna again on 8/6 - 8-7. But they pointed me to the ds3.12, higher Mu and more longevity.

https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-fr...312-brake-pads
I really like the 3.12's. Quick bite compared to 1.11.
Definitely trying the 3.12 next. The 1.11 needs quite a lot of pedal force.
      07-26-2022, 08:32 PM   #21760
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
I just tried the XP12s and they wore REALLY quickly... even with solid cooling I barely got 4 days out of them (4th day I only ran 3 sessions due to a tire issue)

Maybe I should have gone with a more aggressive compound, are yours wearing okay?
I'm at probably 12 days, but haven't been keeping accurate records. The track you're at affects wear and the one I go to isn't particular hard on brakes, so it's hard to compare. I've heard Laguna Seca is pretty hard on brakes so that could be it for you if that's a track you frequent.

As far as XP12 vs XP20, the 20 has a higher temp range, but it's also not as "rotor friendly." A "rotor friendly" pad is code for the pad wearing out quicker to save the rotor wear. While the XP20 may fix the pad wear issue, it could be at the expense of wear on the rotor rings.
      07-26-2022, 09:03 PM   #21761
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:
I just tried the XP12s and they wore REALLY quickly... even with solid cooling I barely got 4 days out of them (4th day I only ran 3 sessions due to a tire issue)

Maybe I should have gone with a more aggressive compound, are yours wearing okay?
I'm at probably 12 days, but haven't been keeping accurate records. The track you're at affects wear and the one I go to isn't particular hard on brakes, so it's hard to compare. I've heard Laguna Seca is pretty hard on brakes so that could be it for you if that's a track you frequent.

As far as XP12 vs XP20, the 20 has a higher temp range, but it's also not as "rotor friendly." A "rotor friendly" pad is code for the pad wearing out quicker to save the rotor wear. While the XP20 may fix the pad wear issue, it could be at the expense of wear on the rotor rings.
Whoa! That's crazy, I wore >80% of the XP12s after 1 day at Buttonwillow and 2 at Thunderhill and they were essentially done.

I'm either going back to Endless ME20, Colbalt Friction XR1 or those yellow Pagid Enduro pads (forget the name).
      07-26-2022, 10:46 PM   #21762
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Whoa! That's crazy, I wore >80% of the XP12s after 1 day at Buttonwillow and 2 at Thunderhill and they were essentially done.

I'm either going back to Endless ME20, Colbalt Friction XR1 or those yellow Pagid Enduro pads (forget the name).
good thing my XP12s are 25mm thick lol
Appreciate 2
slcook541865.00
DrFerry6748.00
      07-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #21763
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm sure this has been beaten to death… but after my last track incident I'm looking at other options besides RLI cuz of the high deductible.

What other options are legit? Open track seems like a decent deal if you go annual. 5% deductible too.
      07-27-2022, 11:59 AM   #21764
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooni View Post
I'm sure this has been beaten to death… but after my last track incident I'm looking at other options besides RLI cuz of the high deductible.

What other options are legit? Open track seems like a decent deal if you go annual. 5% deductible too.
RLI has been the cheapest for me. OpenTrack might be cheaper depending on the events and number of them in a year.

Also, keep in mind this offers are for "HPDE track insurance" and they specifically say open track days aren't covered.
      07-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #21765
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:

RLI has been the cheapest for me. OpenTrack might be cheaper depending on the events and number of them in a year.

Also, keep in mind this offers are for "HPDE track insurance" and they specifically say open track days aren't covered.
Yeah I'm reading more of the fine print now and see that. Doing a Laguna day this weekend and RLI is $400

But I would need to do at least like 8-10 events in the next year to get my money's worth out of open track.
      07-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #21766
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:

Just don't crash...

JK, that incident definitely wasn't your fault : Have you looked at Hagerty? I haven't purchased insurance in about 4yrs but I recall you can build your own policy?

On other news, TPM got my Nexens here in 2 biz days w/ free shipping! Can't wait to try them out, might hit up Laguna Sunday if NCRC has any open spots. Anyone else going? Would love to share a garage...
Attached Images

tsk941557.00
      07-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #21767
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Saving money on track insurance is a very good excuse for attending more events.

I think OpenTrack also offers a thing where you can purchase insurance with a group of people that covers everyone and their cars. If you have a group, it's an option for saving more money, but claims would affect everyone else.
      07-27-2022, 12:09 PM   #21768
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just don't crash...

JK, that incident definitely wasn't your fault : Have you looked at Hagerty? I haven't purchased insurance in about 4yrs but I recall you can build your own policy?

On other news, TPM got my Nexens here in 2 biz days w/ free shipping! Can't wait to try them out, might hit up Laguna Sunday if NCRC has any open spots. Anyone else going? Would love to share a garage...
RLI is related to hagerty I guess. That's who I've bought through so far.

I'll be there Sunday
      07-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #21769
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just don't crash...

I'll be there Sunday
Awesome, it's my anniversary on Saturday and i somehow convinced the wife to do Monterey Aquarium on Saturday with the kiddo then Laguna Sunday morning... I'm stoked since I haven't been there in years.

QQ for NorCal folks.... It's my first time at Laguna in the E92 so I'm worried about sound even with the 103dB limit. I have a resonated X-Pipe with a POS Megan muffler (it came on the car) but it's fairly loud. Think Laguna Pipes are necessary? Anyone know the distance of the microphone for dB testing from the actual track? Might run some tests on the street at WOT with one of those dB reader apps.

I'm going to sign up shortly! I'll ping you and we can meet up Sunday morning.
      07-27-2022, 01:36 PM   #21770
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just don't crash...

I'll be there Sunday
Awesome, it's my anniversary on Saturday and i somehow convinced the wife to do Monterey Aquarium on Saturday with the kiddo then Laguna Sunday morning... I'm stoked since I haven't been there in years.

QQ for NorCal folks.... It's my first time at Laguna in the E92 so I'm worried about sound even with the 103dB limit. I have a resonated X-Pipe with a POS Megan muffler (it came on the car) but it's fairly loud. Think Laguna Pipes are necessary? Anyone know the distance of the microphone for dB testing from the actual track? Might run some tests on the street at WOT with one of those dB reader apps.

The booth is track right between T5 and T6.
Attached is a pic for scale.

103 is really loud though.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #21771
jacksonE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 DCT LeMans Blue

If it's a 103 day you should be totally fine
LeMans Blue/Palladium | JRZ RS2 | Akra Evo | StopTech Trophy F/R | Titan TS5 | Alpine Stage 2 & GTS DCT | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | GAS Front monoballs | SPL Rear Toe Arms | Purple Diff Bushings | Bimmerworld Solid Subframe Bushings | Apex VS-5RS (track) | Haimus
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:36 PM   #21772
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Hagerty / RLI for me was always $278 at Laguna, then recently increased to $324. $60k, no mods. I think I put 10% deductible.

I've heard a lot of people prefer open track and you can stack cars on a single policy.
      07-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #21773
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just don't crash...

I'll be there Sunday

The booth is track right between T5 and T6.
Attached is a pic for scale.

103 is really loud though.
Oh yeah I'm accustomed to lifting up the hill with my last car depending on exhaust setup... maybe I'll try a Google Maps rough measurement since I plan to attend a 93/95dB day next month too.

Either way I'll probably fab up some Laguna Pipes since I'm sure I'll need them for future events.

I should be fine at the 103dB day though.
      07-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #21774
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
I reached out to Essex. Unfortunately I already ordered fresh ds1.11 last week since I have Laguna again on 8/6 - 8-7. But they pointed me to the ds3.12, higher Mu and more longevity.

I get ~250 laps from my front Pagid RS29's on my slon brembo kit running F80 oem rotors and proper ducting. YMMV.
      07-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #21775
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Quote:

I get ~250 laps from my front Pagid RS29's on my slon brembo kit running F80 oem rotors and proper ducting. YMMV.
Assuming you're talking about Laguna, that's a fairly close to what I get.

8 laps per session x 5 session = 40 laps per day x 5 - 6 days = 200 - 240 laps. I get 5ish days.
      07-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #21776
M eyedoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, f10 M5

Electrical question for the group: Having charging/voltage issues. Difficulties starting car lasr fall. Originally thought it was a battery so I replaced it with an original type AGM battery. Good for a short time but problems returned at Mid Ohio in May. Slowing crank throughout the weekend until it lit up the dash with lights and stranded me in Park in the grid line for a 40min session. Unhooked and rehooked the battery, packed up and it got me home. OK, must be the alternator. Replaced it with OEM (not rebuilt). Bought foxwell scanner for codes. Cleared lots of codes. Ran relatively well for a day and it went back to throwing enough codes to light a Christmas tree. Took new alternator out again to have tested and of course it passed (as did the original alternator). Had battery tested, low on charge but healthy. One of my favorite codes: "alternator not found". Ordered replacement alternator in case it was a deffective. And of course same results. Voltage (after charging battery) 12.9V and drops with lights an AC. Does increase slightly when revving engine and driving but only to about 13V max. Took it to the track over the weekend hoping the new alternator would make it and had the charge battery between every run (did at least get PB lap) Does anyone have a recommendation before I drive it into a lake in frustration?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 06:00 PM   #21777
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Quote:

Assuming you're talking about Laguna, that's a fairly close to what I get.

8 laps per session x 5 session = 40 laps per day x 5 - 6 days = 200 - 240 laps. I get 5ish days.
Similar here.

2X Thunderhill East
1X Sears Point
3X Laguna Seca

Front DTC60 pads (ST-60 Trophy).
Maybe could have squeezed a 7th day, but the last session of day 6 the pedal started to feel different so I switched to new pads for the next event and everything felt back to normal.
Pad material thickness was equal to the backing plate, so that will likely be my benchmark to go to new pads.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 06:35 PM   #21778
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M eyedoc View Post
Electrical question for the group: Having charging/voltage issues. Difficulties starting car lasr fall. Originally thought it was a battery so I replaced it with an original type AGM battery. Good for a short time but problems returned at Mid Ohio in May. Slowing crank throughout the weekend until it lit up the dash with lights and stranded me in Park in the grid line for a 40min session. Unhooked and rehooked the battery, packed up and it got me home. OK, must be the alternator. Replaced it with OEM (not rebuilt). Bought foxwell scanner for codes. Cleared lots of codes. Ran relatively well for a day and it went back to throwing enough codes to light a Christmas tree. Took new alternator out again to have tested and of course it passed (as did the original alternator). Had battery tested, low on charge but healthy. One of my favorite codes: "alternator not found". Ordered replacement alternator in case it was a deffective. And of course same results. Voltage (after charging battery) 12.9V and drops with lights an AC. Does increase slightly when revving engine and driving but only to about 13V max. Took it to the track over the weekend hoping the new alternator would make it and had the charge battery between every run (did at least get PB lap) Does anyone have a recommendation before I drive it into a lake in frustration?
Before I replaced my alternator and was researching probable causes for battery drain, I read a faulty EDC module can continue to drain battery whilst the car is off. Worth looking into, and there's several forum posts about it here. I'm sure some other members might have other suggestions as well though.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #21779
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M eyedoc View Post
Unplug your IBS (small blue connector at your battery negative cable) and see if the problem goes away. If it does you need to replace the negative cable because the IBS is attached to it.

Another possible culprit is the big red power cable behind the main fuse box inside your glove box. Look for discoloration on the shielding of the cable, especially at the fuse box end. We've been seeing this happen more frequently as the car ages.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 08:11 PM   #21780
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Hagerty / RLI for me was always $278 at Laguna, then recently increased to $324. $60k, no mods. I think I put 10% deductible.

I've heard a lot of people prefer open track and you can stack cars on a single policy.
Quote:
Yeah I'm reading more of the fine print now and see that. Doing a Laguna day this weekend and RLI is $400

But I would need to do at least like 8-10 events in the next year to get my money's worth out of open track.

RLI underwrites for Lockton and Hagerty. Might as well go directly to them.

I want to mention that they distinguish mods and the mods have more weight to raise the daily rate.

For example, my E90: $50k M3 was $285, where $35k M3 + $15k mods to $50k total was $448.

This is listed during the quote:
Quote:
Modifications
Coverage for after market modifications are NOT covered unless specifically listed here
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
Appreciate 0