BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-21-2021, 02:18 PM   #18239
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayha12 View Post
Did you get a chance to measure it? BBK is definitely on the list for me as I think I'm pretty much maxing out the stock calipers. Torn between the Stoptech trophy or Essex AP Racing
I would highly suggest the AP kit. I can get you exact weight between the ST60 Trophy kit and the 9668 AP kit. But the performance of the AP is much much better. I’ve had great luck with Stoptech stuff on every other application, but not the E9x.
Appreciate 1
Senpai484.00
      06-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #18240
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
I would highly suggest the AP kit. I can get you exact weight between the ST60 Trophy kit and the 9668 AP kit. But the performance of the AP is much much better. I’ve had great luck with Stoptech stuff on every other application, but not the E9x.
you have wanting to switch.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #18241
kayha12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
That's enough to convince me, our team has a pretty good relationship with those folks and a bunch of them are running APs
NASA Mid Atlantic - TT3 #97
'12 E92 M3 ZCP
Sponsored by Andrewtech Automotive
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:39 AM   #18242
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

ok track friends, lets talk about some fun stuff. i've talked about little tidbits of my vision for this car from time to time, but i'm going to lay out the majority of the coming build if everything falls into place. the focus is on function, but there is definitely some cool factor involved.

-recaro podium seats (pending they fit me ok)
-hans device/harnesses
-bk seat sliders
-m24 carbon hood
-m24 carbon trunk
-schirmer oem doors (retains oem handles and window, requires cage)
-custom cage, fia standard spec (unk builder)
-moton 2ways, true rear coils
-fall line rear lca's
-full spl treatment
-plastics4performance rear quarter and rear windows
-a/c delete
-tune
-aeromotions 72" dynamic wing
-zebulon front splitter
-headlight blanks
-carbon dash
-blank door cards
-speaker delete, idrive delete, wire optomization, weight optimized dash tube
-extra set of apex wheels
-lsd
-d088 dct cooler
-lightweight dct flywheel
-jp marketing full diffuser
-more holes in places i haven't discovered yet

i'm no 100% set on the zebulon front splitter. i want to see how it connects and how it settles in with the front bumper. gabe has an excellent write up, but just seeing it in person helps me out a lot. i'm sure i'll bump into alex or gabe sometime in the fall. a gts rep with an extra extended lower piece would also be cool. and i'd ripoff the zebulon splitter shock absorber mounts that allow for upward travel. we'll see.

i'll likely pickup a 2022 f250 and an enclosed trailer about this time in 2022. some parts will take priority over others, like the doors. they might be a finishing piece so they don't get banged up in the process.

when some of the more tasty parts get ordered, i'll start a detailed video series. i feel like that area of content is missing and want to try it out.

thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by roastbeef; 06-22-2021 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
Senpai484.00
      06-22-2021, 01:46 AM   #18243
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Someone to consider for your cage: https://instagram.com/nethracingwork...dium=copy_link
      06-22-2021, 02:04 AM   #18244
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspiritM3 View Post
thanks for that, i've never heard of them. my initial thoughts were racewerks, but there is nothing wrong with talking to other shops and seeing whats out there. painting it would be a huge plus, but i'm not sure if that kind of "finishing" service is common for most fab shops.
      06-22-2021, 03:37 AM   #18245
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
ok track friends, lets talk about some fun stuff. i've talked about little tidbits of my vision for this car from time to time, but i'm going to lay out the majority of the coming build if everything falls into place. the focus is on function, but there is definitely some cool factor involved.

-hans device/harnesses
-bk seat sliders
-m24 carbon hood
-m24 carbon trunk
-fall line rear lca's
-full spl treatment
-a/c delete
-tune
-zebulon front splitter
-headlight blanks
-carbon dash
-blank door cards
-lsd
-d088 dct cooler

i'm no 100% set on the zebulon front splitter. i want to see how it connects and how it settles in with the front bumper. gabe has an excellent write up, but just seeing it in person helps me out a lot. i'm sure i'll bump into alex or gabe sometime in the fall. a gts rep with an extra extended lower piece would also be cool. and i'd ripoff the zebulon splitter shock absorber mounts that allow for upward travel. we'll see.

when some of the more tasty parts get ordered, i'll start a detailed video series. i feel like that area of content is missing and want to try it out.

thoughts or ideas?
Just point me to that subscribe button!
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11650.00
      06-22-2021, 04:00 AM   #18246
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Just point me to that subscribe button!
i'm not going to beg for subs. there won't be any music, and no long intros. just my lanky ass opening car parts and talking about them.
      06-22-2021, 05:33 AM   #18247
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Did you get a chance to measure it? BBK is definitely on the list for me as I think I'm pretty much maxing out the stock calipers. Torn between the Stoptech trophy or Essex AP Racing
I would highly suggest the AP kit. I can get you exact weight between the ST60 Trophy kit and the 9668 AP kit. But the performance of the AP is much much better. I've had great luck with Stoptech stuff on every other application, but not the E9x.
Agreed with Chris here, the vaning on the AP rotors allows for much better rotor heat extraction, and the calipers are a few lbs lighter. My ST kits never were very confidence inspiring as the knock back was prevalent. AP the pedal is there, over and over...and over. And over - you get the picture. Not to mention those 26mm front pads are the bees knees.

Here's a couple of weight comparos from a trophy kit. The weight over factory is even greater.
Attached Images

turbo_joe1634.50
kayha12330.50
admranger3130.50
      06-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #18248
kayha12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Roastbeef - add some type of data device in there. I love reviewing my AIM data (AIM solo dl 2), but some folks like the Garmin Catalyst for real-time feedback and review. Super helpful to compare data especially when other similar cars are running at the same track
'12 E92 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11650.00
turbo_joe1634.50
      06-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #18249
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Roastbeef - add some type of data device in there. I love reviewing my AIM data (AIM solo dl 2), but some folks like the Garmin Catalyst for real-time feedback and review. Super helpful to compare data especially when other similar cars are running at the same track
ah, yes! i'm likely going with the garmin catalyst. i just don't realistically see myself dissecting data at the end of the day. timing, instant feedback, and segments would be more useful. i'm a visual and hands-on learner. data would help figure out whats going on, but seeing whats going on after i get home probably isn't going to benefit my brain.
      06-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #18250
rhyary
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
ah, yes! i'm likely going with the garmin catalyst. i just don't realistically see myself dissecting data at the end of the day. timing, instant feedback, and segments would be more useful. i'm a visual and hands-on learner. data would help figure out whats going on, but seeing whats going on after i get home probably isn't going to benefit my brain.
Connecting an AIM device to the E92 CAN bus is very useful. But it requires math channels, profiles and knowing what to look for and set it all up.

It is not giving you much out of the box.

The Catalyst is a very nice device but it is no substitution for a CAN bus connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #18251
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
I currently run AIM and Garmin and really like both for different reasons. The instant feedback of Garmin is very nice and helps a ton. It had made me more consistent on track and have steadily improved my times since getting it.

The AIM has endless amounts of data and can be a lot to digest, kayha12 has been teaching me how to read all the data and understand it. Their is so much to it but very beneficial as well.
      06-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #18252
kayha12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Roastbeef, if you get an AIM let me know, I'm happy to walk you through a very basic understanding of speed/distance. It's really all I look at and that alone gives you PLENTY to dissect and work on.

Other channels are supplementary to that
'12 E92 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11650.00
      06-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #18253
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:

-hans device/harnesses
-bk seat sliders
-m24 carbon hood
-m24 carbon trunk
-fall line rear lca's
-full spl treatment
-a/c delete
-tune
-zebulon front splitter
-headlight blanks
-carbon dash
-blank door cards
-lsd
-d088 dct cooler

i'll likely pickup a 2022 f250 and an enclosed trailer about this time in 2022. some parts will take priority over others, like the doors. they might be a finishing piece so they don't get banged up in the process.

thoughts or ideas?
Is your job hiring??
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #18254
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

I think you're making it out to be more difficult than it really is. Popping an SD card and opening RaceStudio is not that hard, even between sessions. Once you set up your "view" the first time, you can very quickly look at your segments and see where you were slower/faster. It will take some time to grasp some of the data interpretation concepts, but there is a lot of experience here -- plus coaching -- that can speed that up.

The catalyst is cool but has its limitations. My biggest fear is that it is conditioning people to simply follow directions and memorize tracks rather than develop the skill to feel why a car does what it does.
roastbeef11650.00
kayha12330.50
Exclusivs555.50
      06-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #18255
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:

I think you're making it out to be more difficult than it really is. Popping an SD card and opening RaceStudio is not that hard, even between sessions. Once you set up your "view" the first time, you can very quickly look at your segments and see where you were slower/faster. It will take some time to grasp some of the data interpretation concepts, but there is a lot of experience here -- plus coaching -- that can speed that up.

The catalyst is cool but has its limitations. My biggest fear is that it is conditioning people to simply follow directions and memorize tracks rather than develop the skill to feel why a car does what it does.
Quote:
Roastbeef, if you get an AIM let me know, I'm happy to walk you through a very basic understanding of speed/distance. It's really all I look at and that alone gives you PLENTY to dissect and work on.

Other channels are supplementary to that
I'm not opposed to it, this is just my knee jerk reaction when I see pictures of data on here. I'm also not very tolerant of things like the battery problems several people describe. I'm not opposed to giving it a try.
      06-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #18256
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Quote:

-hans device/harnesses
-bk seat sliders
-m24 carbon hood
-m24 carbon trunk
-fall line rear lca's
-full spl treatment
-a/c delete
-tune
-zebulon front splitter
-headlight blanks
-carbon dash
-blank door cards
-lsd
-d088 dct cooler

thoughts or ideas?
Is your job hiring??
Nothing special here. Just a high school educated blue collar grunt. I'm listing one of my rentals I've had for some time. I'll be paying off another rental completely and I'll still have a nice chunk after taxes.
admranger3130.50
      06-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #18257
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

-hans device/harnesses
-bk seat sliders
-m24 carbon hood
-m24 carbon trunk
-fall line rear lca's
-full spl treatment
-a/c delete
-tune
-zebulon front splitter
-headlight blanks
-carbon dash
-blank door cards
-lsd
-d088 dct cooler

thoughts or ideas?
Careful with the DCT lightweight flywheel
Appreciate 1
slcook541865.00
      06-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #18258
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:

-hans device/harnesses
-bk seat sliders
-m24 carbon hood
-m24 carbon trunk
-fall line rear lca's
-full spl treatment
-a/c delete
-tune
-zebulon front splitter
-headlight blanks
-carbon dash
-blank door cards
-lsd
-d088 dct cooler

thoughts or ideas?
Careful with the DCT lightweight flywheel
What's the deal? I haven't heard any feedback yet.
      06-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #18259
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
What's the deal? I haven't heard any feedback yet.
Which one are you thinking of getting? The GB one is not a great idea
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #18260
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
I'm not opposed to it, this is just my knee jerk reaction when I see pictures of data on here. I'm also not very tolerant of things like the battery problems several people describe. I'm not opposed to giving it a try.

That's because people are over-eager to have big complex worksheets...it certainly looks cool on screen. You need to have a simple setup for reviewing at the track. Mine is only: speed, accelerator, brake, Gsum, and time differential. Otherwise, you are correct -- you'll get lost in having 500 changing variables and never develop an "actionable" approach to your next session.

If I want to get into the weeds to squeeze out every tenth, I do that at home later on and start checking things like steering position, tire temps, cumulative G, best sectors, whatever.

Have you ever considered some coaching to help you configure this stuff and learn the fundamentals?
roastbeef11650.00