BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-23-2021, 01:16 AM   #155
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
Give this guy credit guys.
Man just started a family and still finds the time
Pursue his passion and sit down and type out all his experiences and thoughts about every detail about the car and his track experiences, good or bad.

Alot of great trail and error information will be scattered through this thread over time .
Great work Alex .
Might be wise to cheers the Mrs Bernstein, too. Not many new born mothers would support all this track time. Let it be a good omen for partners everywhere.
b4hand661.00
tsk941557.00
SalimM328.50
      02-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #156
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Great update!

I wonder if you had a car with iDrive if you could have still disabled DSC through the menus or if the broken button would have messed with that? On my car I have the M mode button configured to disable DSC. I don't ever touch any of those buttons.
      02-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #157
spaceship_m3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i Alpine White

I always get so excited seeing a new update on the Green Machine. Awesome write up, seeing your car run sub 2 min with no aero is what motivates me to stay wingless (and also become a better driver)
Appreciate 2
berns1590.00
      02-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #158
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Thanks for the update and great to meet you Saturday, your car looks even better in person
Appreciate 2
berns1590.00
      02-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #159
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
Give this guy credit guys.
Man just started a family and still finds the time
Pursue his passion and sit down and type out all his experiences and thoughts about every detail about the car and his track experiences, good or bad.

Alot of great trail and error information will be scattered through this thread over time .
Great work Alex .
Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Might be wise to cheers the Mrs Bernstein, too. Not many new born mothers would support all this track time. Let it be a good omen for partners everywhere.
Ha, my wife is amazing and I'm always nervous to tell her how many track days I want to go to... Running Bimmer Challenge more consistently / exclusively will be easier for the schedule at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Great update!

I wonder if you had a car with iDrive if you could have still disabled DSC through the menus or if the broken button would have messed with that? On my car I have the M mode button configured to disable DSC. I don't ever touch any of those buttons.
Yeah, I'd assume the M button would do it. I was able to roughly touch the wire to the plug at one point and get DSC off, but it wasn't working easily. I tried before going out into session one but got nothing but a quick zap to the finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceship_m3 View Post
I always get so excited seeing a new update on the Green Machine. Awesome write up, seeing your car run sub 2 min with no aero is what motivates me to stay wingless (and also become a better driver)
Green Machine! I hope everyone is still as interested when it goes back to a Alpine White... I'm stoked if anything I'm doing over here is making you want to become a better driver and slap less silly parts on your car before you're ready for them. M3 with no aero is such a good time. As cool as aero looks, I love the personality of the car this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Thanks for the update and great to meet you Saturday, your car looks even better in person
Thanks for coming by to say hi -- nice to meet you. Was funny how many forum/IG members were at the track and found the car. Nice to put faces to names.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      02-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #160
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Overall, are you happy with the pinnacle cage? Any additional details on what specifications you went with? Would you go that route again?
      02-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #161
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Overall, are you happy with the pinnacle cage? Any additional details on what specifications you went with? Would you go that route again?
1000% satisfied with the Pinnacle cage and would buy one again in heartbeat.
I got the T45 cage and had it powdercoated white. Don't think there were many other options.

Pinnacle offers a lighter version with one cross bar instead of the X.

He also offers a simple harness bar.

I wanted something clean and light and this checked all the boxes. The added bonus, is that you can't find anything like this in the states... And what you can find, costs more, requires way more drilling for install, and weighs almost twice as much. Honestly -- if you want a bolt-in rear cage for your E92, I'd need a lot of convincing to go another direction. In my opinion, the Pinnacle setup is the end-all offering and I think you'll start to see them on E92's everywhere.
Appreciate 3
DRLane4058.50
derbo3656.50
Kelse921132.50
      02-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #162
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

How much is the Pinnacle cage? He doesn't have anything listed on his site.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #163
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
1000% satisfied with the Pinnacle cage and would buy one again in heartbeat.
I got the T45 cage and had it powdercoated white. Don't think there were many other options.

Pinnacle offers a lighter version with one cross bar instead of the X.

He also offers a simple harness bar.

I wanted something clean and light and this checked all the boxes. The added bonus, is that you can't find anything like this in the states... And what you can find, costs more, requires way more drilling for install, and weighs almost twice as much. Honestly -- if you want a bolt-in rear cage for your E92, I'd need a lot of convincing to go another direction. In my opinion, the Pinnacle setup is the end-all offering and I think you'll start to see them on E92's everywhere.
Maybe one day there will be a E90 version
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #164
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
How much is the Pinnacle cage? He doesn't have anything listed on his site.
Just reach out directly to Jamie (@pinnacle) on Instagram and he'll give you a quote based on your location.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:30 PM   #165
gh0stE92M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Did you put on a rear seat delete or it's just open?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #166
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stE92M3 View Post
Did you put on a rear seat delete or it's just open?
I put the bolsters back on with the OEM black carpet that goes underneath the rear seat. It's enough for me, from an aesthetic standpoint. Likely not going to bother with a delete or close-off panel. Too much work, cost & weight. I barely have time to make it to the track plus prep the car and run to a shop, so taking time to do that or bring the car to someone just doesn't seem worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #167
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Not that you should wait, but I was in touch with Jamie regarding setting up a group buy for these cages. Turns out someone else (we can probably guess who) is already working with him to set up a group buy. They're working out shipping details now.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #168
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
Not that you should wait, but I was in touch with Jamie regarding setting up a group buy for these cages. Turns out someone else (we can probably guess who) is already working with him to set up a group buy. They're working out shipping details now.
That's a surprise given all the condemnation for GTS cages in lieu of the Slonik carbon panel.
      02-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #169
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a surprise given all the condemnation for GTS cages in lieu of the Slonik carbon panel.
Perhaps it's not Mr. GB and it's someone else. I just took a guess when I was told he was already working with someone on the forum.

If it is, then yes. That is an interesting pivot.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #170
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #171
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Quote:
Why not both?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #172
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Why not both?
This cage bolts to the chassis via rear mount points. The slonik panel fills that in.
      02-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #173
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why not both?
This cage bolts to the chassis via rear mount points through the gap the panel fills in.
Good point. I didn't think that one through. Carry on everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #174
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why not both?
You'd have to notch out a shiny new 1500 dollar carbon filler plate to make both work, and at that point is the filler plate even getting any of the twist if it's in between the cage legs?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #175
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why not both?
You'd have to notch out a shiny new 1500 dollar carbon filler plate to make both work, and at that point is the filler plate even getting any of the twist if it's in between the cage legs?
Yup. I see where I went wrong. I have an oe GTS cage waiting to go in and the slon carbon panel coming. I'm having a hard time between going as light as possible or fill GTS.
Appreciate 1
911r989.00
      02-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #176
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why not both?
Yup. I see where I went wrong. I have an oe GTS cage waiting to go in and the slon carbon panel coming. I'm having a hard time between going as light as possible or fill GTS.
GTS>>
Appreciate 0