BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #155
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Quote:
What stimulus check. Oh you mean the couple grand that the irs took out of my account on April 15th and sent to other people.... that stimulus check.
At least it was only a couple of grand in your case. I'd be ecstatic for that.
Quote:
Quote:
What stimulus check. Oh you mean the couple grand that the irs took out of my account on April 15th and sent to other people.... that stimulus check.
At least it was only a couple of grand in your case. I'd be ecstatic for that.

Thank good we own a couple of investment properties and I find shit to write off every year to lower my tax liabilities. And yea SALT sucks I pay 22k in property taxes it's rough not being able to write it off. I hear this expires in 2025
It's as if congress doesn't realize that all states aren't equal. Property taxes and state taxes differ and states such as NY, NJ, CA end up getting affected tremendously compared to others
      04-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #156
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

I am buying all these elite BMW owners here that deem themselves the "Stimulus Check Ambassador" new wheels. Including me since I can use a 18x10 square setup.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharz...g#52592160665b

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #157
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Anybody rejecting their check on principle because trump isnt your president?
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11486.00
      04-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #158
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Since this whole mess means Wifey and I have to do our jobs efficiently from home, we spent a good chunk improving our home office spaces, especially mine. New desk, new PC, extra monitor. I'm banking on having to do this for at least the next year, so the funds came in handy. Our school had a decent WFH policy even before this, but I never really had the setup to allow me to do that properly. Now I do.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619117.50
      04-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #159
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I never got one due to income levels... but even if you did recieve one and understand the bigger picture, you still got butt fkd...
      04-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #160
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
There is no federal “SALT tax”. You are not being taxed on taxes paid. If you have zero income but paid state and local taxes out of savings, your federal tax would be zero. You are being taxed on income and not getting to deduct what you paid to your state and local paid where you choose to live and elect the people who set those tax rates.
"Why the SALT Deduction Matters

The deduction for state and local taxes has been around since 1913, when the U.S. first instituted our federal income tax. Defenders of the SALT deduction, such as the National Governors Association, point out that state and local income, real estate and sales taxes are mandatory. Taxpayers can’t get out of them. For advocates of the deduction, eliminating it would therefore constitute double taxation." {my bolding}

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #161
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe. Smarter would be to donate it to citizens not helped enough by the Fed programs. I know some have said they are doing that.

Murf
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619117.50
minn1914515.50
      04-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #162
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I never got one due to income levels... but even if you did recieve one and understand the bigger picture, you still got butt fkd...
Taxation is always that way. Missing the point I didn't get one either.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #163
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
"Why the SALT Deduction Matters

The deduction for state and local taxes has been around since 1913, when the U.S. first instituted our federal income tax. Defenders of the SALT deduction, such as the National Governors Association, point out that state and local income, real estate and sales taxes are mandatory. Taxpayers can’t get out of them. For advocates of the deduction, eliminating it would therefore constitute double taxation." {my bolding}

Murf
As written by advocates of the deduction. Legislators in high tax states are exposed so of course they take that view. There is double taxation because the state is collecting taxes in addition to federal. Federal is not taxing the tax as you stated.

You could also argue every form of taxation is double taxation. You pay income tax and then buy things and pay sales tax using taxed dollars. Same for gas tax, telecom tax and on and on.

I think there should be zero SALT deduction. No one’s share of federal taxes should be affected by the level of state taxation in other states.
      04-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #164
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... You could also argue every form of taxation is double taxation. You pay income tax and then buy things and pay sales tax using taxed dollars. Same for gas tax, telecom tax and on and on....
This is the truth, & I've been on it for long time.
Pls remind me, why were the repubs most recently railing against double taxation with that 'death tax' stuff, then? They made a big deal of it!

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #165
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pls remind me, why were the repubs most recently railing against double taxation with that 'death tax' stuff, then? They made a big deal of it!

Murf
Personally I don’t give a shit about the estate tax because it won’t affect me. But I believe the argument is your estate is comprised entirely of accumulated wealth that has already been taxed by every level of government and you shouldn’t be taxed just for dying. No one has a choice about dying. While alive, you have a choice where you live and can choose a state that has no state income taxes and lower property taxes if that’s what you want to accomplish.
      04-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #166
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Personally I don’t give a shit about the estate tax because it won’t affect me. But I believe the argument is your estate is comprised entirely of accumulated wealth that has already been taxed by every level of government and you shouldn’t be taxed just for dying. No one has a choice about dying. While alive, you have a choice where you live and can choose a state that has no state income taxes and lower property taxes if that’s what you want to accomplish.
Yes, but what you spend on gas has already been taxed once, etc....
What's the difference?

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #167
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but what you spend on gas has already been taxed once, etc....
What's the difference?

Murf
Those paying estate taxes paid federal, state, sales, gas, etc. taxes like everyone else. Taxes other than estate taxes arise from income, property ownership and consumption. Death is none of those. It’s just death.
      04-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #168
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
the fails continue lol

we are screwed for a minimum of 15 years

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...5mu-story.html
Unbelievable, welcome to the idiots that came up with this idea. First the claim was " oh, we don't do stimulus" now they're handing out the biggest stimulus ever seen in the history of this country.

I am fine with people and small businesses who are struggling getting help but not multi million/billion corporations who are already sitting on massive reserves, while sticking it to the little people.
minn1914515.50
      04-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #169
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

It's been a great couple of years for us... donating ours to a local charity.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619117.50
minn1914515.50
      04-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #170
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those paying estate taxes paid federal, state, sales, gas, etc. taxes like everyone else. Taxes other than estate taxes arise from income, property ownership and consumption. Death is none of those. It’s just death.
Much of a taxable estate is made up of $$ taxed as capital gains, much lower than the income taxes applied to the $ you use to buy gas.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #171
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
... You could also argue every form of taxation is double taxation. You pay income tax and then buy things and pay sales tax using taxed dollars. Same for gas tax, telecom tax and on and on....

Murf
My understanding is those against SALT deductions do so mainly because of two reasons.

1. The SALT deduction provides economic and thus political cover to state governments when they raise taxes. This only encourages more spending and raising taxes on the state level.

2. Because this taxation is effectively passed onto the federal system, lower-taxed states end up being penalized for the tax/spending policies of higher taxed/spending states. It's seen as being unfair that they're effectively bankrolling policies they can't control. Some might go so far as thinking this is taxation without representation.

As a NJ resident, SALT deduction policy impacts me personally and professionally, but I still support its removal/minimization. The idea is people will vote for more fiscal responsibility when their pockets are impacted.

I thought Democrats liked higher taxes? :
      04-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #172
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Much of a taxable estate is made up of $$ taxed as capital gains, much lower than the income taxes applied to the $ you use to buy gas.

Murf
Not necessarily - depends on one’s effective income tax rate. And if the issue is that capital gains rates are “unfair”, wouldn’t the logical solution be to raise capital gains taxes while people are alive rather than taxing them for dying (and dealing with the cost of capital consequences)? I’m not advocating for higher capital gains taxes at all, but not sure why an estate tax is justified because capital gains tax rates are what they are.

You asked what the difference was. Here’s another way to think about it. Let’s say you had zero income, zero assets and zero consumption (maybe you live off the public lands). You would owe zero taxes. However, if you were taxed to be alive, that would mean you owe taxes even with no income, assets or consumption. Substitute “dead” for “alive” and that’s the estate tax.

Like I said, will not affect me, but there is a difference between the concept of the estate tax vs. a cap on deductibility SALT or having to pay other sales, gas and other consumption taxes after being taxed on income.
      04-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #173
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
IMO the inheritance tax advocates are just sad, bitter people whom don't want others passing the fruits of their labor down to their children.
      04-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #174
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:
the fails continue lol

we are screwed for a minimum of 15 years

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...5mu-story.html
Unbelievable, welcome to the idiots that came up with this idea. First the claim was " oh, we don't do stimulus" now they're handing out the biggest stimulus ever seen in the history of this country.

I am fine with people and small businesses who are struggling getting help but not multi million/billion corporations who are already sitting on massive reserves, while sticking it to the little people.
I'm the opposite. I rather corporations and large businesses get "help". They employ millions of people in this country. Whereas those who qualify for the stimulus check and small business do nothing for the economy except "get" more than they give. And small businesses who manipulate tax returns.

Or we make things fair and everyone qualifies. Then no one has the right to complain.
      04-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #175
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm the opposite. I rather corporations and large businesses get "help". They employ millions of people in this country. Whereas those who qualify for the stimulus check and small business do nothing for the economy except "get" more than they give. And small businesses who manipulate tax returns.

Or we make things fair and everyone qualifies. Then no one has the right to complain.
Small businesses do nothing for the economy? And you don’t think small businesses employ millions of people? This has to be the most ridiculous post I have ever read.
Appreciate 5
Littlebear3516.50
EXE462106.00
vreihen1619117.50
minn1914515.50
premier3is1644.00
      04-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #176
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.88]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.90]
2019 i3 BEV  [5.00]
Quote:
You can't, it just shows up. There is no opt out.

I also took advantage of the TCJA and saved an additional $20k/yr in corporate taxes. The best thing to do would be to invest it and inject it back into the economy. That was the supposed purpose of the stimulus check and TCJA wasn't it?

Quote:
Quote:
Taxation is always that way. Missing the point I didn't get one either.
Ever since the TCJA's 21% corp and pass-through tax cut from 32% I've been beating the drum for incorporating for single earners over $150k/yr. At $170k you are at 32% up from 24%, but incorporating can keep you as low as 22% depending on your deduction strategy.

I make well over the limit. I still got a check, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what you save on taxes.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0