BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-22-2024, 11:25 AM   #1717
Thumbie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixzzz View Post
I'm debating on buying Mr12volt for my e91 with cic only because of the MOST connection and thus a better sound quality. However I am a little concerned about using android auto without touchscreen. Can you even enter address in waze when using android auto just with the wheel in center console?
Short answer: yes you can.

Long answer: It is, in my opinion, the only downside of a mr12volt. The User Interface for carplay/AA is designed for touchscreens. Scrolling through all the options on the wheel is a little tedious and awkward.

the best solution is just do it on your phone, hit "Go", then put the phone down and look at the screen.

Side Note: I wired greenyi backup camera yesterday. I managed to pull the yellow connector through the rubber sleeve. Took a lot of lube and caressing

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 11:33 AM   #1718
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

Personally I don't have an issue with the CarPlay non-touchscreen, that's what I have in my F82 M4 from factory, non-touchscreen car.

The screen isn't situated in a good place to use the touchscreen anyway.

For brand new addresses I just pull over and use the phone itself, but it's nice and easy to select destinations from the recent list no bother at all.
Appreciate 1
Thumbie132.00
      02-22-2024, 07:23 PM   #1719
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Glad to see this thread is still going; 4 Mr 12 Volt Boxes later I would still recommend these guys:

- got the original box, thought it sounded amazing, then someone pointed out the base issue ��
- got the DSP version with the bass fully restored
- got one in my (fast) Audi S4 (car for sale BTW - DM if in UK!)
- attempted install in M4 with NBT EVO - got sound but no picture, guys didn't hesitate to offer me a refund and a return rather than tell me what an idiot I was

That is all,
Appreciate 1
Thumbie132.00
      02-22-2024, 07:27 PM   #1720
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixzzz View Post
I'm debating on buying Mr12volt for my e91 with cic only because of the MOST connection and thus a better sound quality. However I am a little concerned about using android auto without touchscreen. Can you even enter address in waze when using android auto just with the wheel in center console?
If you have the mic setup correctly, you can literally just dictate the address. Ain't no one messing with scroll wheels in 2024. I genuinely prefer the interface on this compared to my 2023 Audi which has no scroll wheel BTW - scroll wheel used to initiate voice control is very intuitive.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 10:34 AM   #1721
marckwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Can someone please send a picture of the setting screen for the Mr12 volt box, i just want to confirm I have the lastest versions of the software and hardware. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:12 AM   #1722
Thumbie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marckwan View Post
Can someone please send a picture of the setting screen for the Mr12 volt box, i just want to confirm I have the latest versions of the software and hardware. Thank you
This link is where you can download the latest firmware if you don't have it.

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000...ftware-updates

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 01:54 PM   #1723
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marckwan View Post
Can someone please send a picture of the setting screen for the Mr12 volt box, i just want to confirm I have the lastest versions of the software and hardware. Thank you
you can update your own box via the firmware on the official website.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 04:37 PM   #1724
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblese90 View Post
Hoping someone can help.2012 e91 cic, I’ve installed the latest mr12v with oem mic support and CarPlay doesn’t pop up. I’m certain I don’t have a cd changer in the trunk. Do I need to do some coding?
These are the kinds of gremlins that make me hesitant to do this mod. So many people say "it's easy" but then I see your post and think maybe not.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2024, 04:42 PM   #1725
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblese90 View Post
Hoping someone can help.2012 e91 cic, I’ve installed the latest mr12v with oem mic support and CarPlay doesn’t pop up. I’m certain I don’t have a cd changer in the trunk. Do I need to do some coding?
Do you not see the Mr12Volt interface at all? Have you coded in the CD changer?

We’ve fitted about 10 of these in the workshop now, their own video guide is very useful for those wanting to DIY.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6748.00
      02-24-2024, 08:29 PM   #1726
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
These are the kinds of gremlins that make me hesitant to do this mod. So many people say "it's easy" but then I see your post and think maybe not.
The post you are quoting probably just needed coding done. Some cars need it, some don't. Mine didn't. The coding change is just telling it what kind of CD changer is on the MOST loop, which the P2000 is impersonating. It's a single line change.

Anyway aside from that, it really is easy, and you've got the community here to help you if you get stuck.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6748.00
      02-24-2024, 08:51 PM   #1727
spammysammich
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Mine needed coding but it was easy with BimmerCode. One of the easiest mods I’ve done in terms of car audio.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6748.00
      02-24-2024, 11:16 PM   #1728
roblese90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Evolve View Post
Do you not see the Mr12Volt interface at all? Have you coded in the CD changer?

We’ve fitted about 10 of these in the workshop now, their own video guide is very useful for those wanting to DIY.
Issue resolved itself somehow which is why I deleted my post. Everything works perfectly and sound quality is excellent
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 12:03 AM   #1729
a5m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Yup same. The echo issue now mentioned by several people is most concerning since that's a feature that we intend to use often.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 01:24 AM   #1730
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
Yup same. The echo issue now mentioned by several people is most concerning since that's a feature that we intend to use often.
While i don't have the box that has the OEM microphone support, the symptoms if I had to take a guess is probably noise cancellation not working properly.

There are a variety of reasons that can cause this, but most of the time, this is fixable in software. Mr12volt has been pretty good about fixing software bugs with regular firmware updates.

If I had to take a wild guess as to the cause, the audio output of the speakers might have a bit more latency than where noise cancellation is expecting it to be due to audio post processing from the head unit or amp. This is typically tunable. I've had this problem with other devices.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6748.00
      02-25-2024, 07:48 PM   #1731
a5m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
While i don't have the box that has the OEM microphone support, the symptoms if I had to take a guess is probably noise cancellation not working properly.

There are a variety of reasons that can cause this, but most of the time, this is fixable in software. Mr12volt has been pretty good about fixing software bugs with regular firmware updates.

If I had to take a wild guess as to the cause, the audio output of the speakers might have a bit more latency than where noise cancellation is expecting it to be due to audio post processing from the head unit or amp. This is typically tunable. I've had this problem with other devices.
That's a good theory, and a good chance it's the cause. It's been a while since the first report so would it be unrealistic to expect a firmware fix by now? Maybe enough people haven't reported it. Hoping to see a fix soon so I can pick this up.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 12:55 PM   #1732
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
I was thinking along the same lines but figured I would plunge ahead and accept going into it an imperfect outcome. Put mine in a year ago. Lost my backup camera because the connections were different and haven’t bothered to resolve. Sound quality is pretty good, so much better than accessory plug in but I do occasionally have clipping on high volume music. Calls are over the factory interface still and fine. Never bothered to install the mr12volt mic and living without talk to text. Wouldn’t spend $400 on the newer integrated model that plugs into the factory mic given reports of problems with that but I would get it if I was starting from zero today.

To be fair and in comparison, Even the modern bmw factory interface on newer cars is buggy and frankly a disappointment, so it’s not a dealbreaker in my mind for this mod to not 100% deliver.
(My Toyotas from a decade ago had more reliable software, as well as a late decade chevy volt - why BMW still can’t deliver on this is frustrating)
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6748.00
      02-26-2024, 02:26 PM   #1733
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines but figured I would plunge ahead and accept going into it an imperfect outcome. Put mine in a year ago. Lost my backup camera because the connections were different and haven’t bothered to resolve. Sound quality is pretty good, so much better than accessory plug in but I do occasionally have clipping on high volume music. Calls are over the factory interface still and fine. Never bothered to install the mr12volt mic and living without talk to text. Wouldn’t spend $400 on the newer integrated model that plugs into the factory mic given reports of problems with that but I would get it if I was starting from zero today.

To be fair and in comparison, Even the modern bmw factory interface on newer cars is buggy and frankly a disappointment, so it’s not a deal-breaker in my mind for this mod to not 100% deliver. (My Toyotas from a decade ago had more reliable software, as well as a late decade Chevy volt - why BMW still can’t deliver on this is frustrating)
Thanks for your perspective. What does it mean when you say, "Wouldn’t spend $400 on the newer integrated model that plugs into the factory mic"? In other words, what or where is "the factory mic"? I don't think I have one.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 03:01 PM   #1734
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your perspective. What does it mean when you say, "Wouldn’t spend $400 on the newer integrated model that plugs into the factory mic"? In other words, what or where is "the factory mic"? I don't think I have one.
If you have ability to make calls in your car, the car has a factory microphone. Usually located in the top of the steering column shroud or in the plastic housing between the windshield and the sunroof in the roof. Either spot looks like a vented area 1” x 1” where there’s no reason otherwise for a vent.

What I mean is that having the 1 year old system in place that works sort of ok, I wouldn’t spend another $400 just to upgrade to a unit that integrates the factory microphone that also apparently has issues.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6748.00
Thumbie132.00
      02-27-2024, 03:38 AM   #1735
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
If you have ability to make calls in your car, the car has a factory microphone. Usually located in the top of the steering column shroud or in the plastic housing between the windshield and the sunroof in the roof. Either spot looks like a vented area 1” x 1” where there’s no reason otherwise for a vent.

What I mean is that having the 1 year old system in place that works sort of ok, I wouldn’t spend another $400 just to upgrade to a unit that integrates the factory microphone that also apparently has issues.
I posted this a while ago...

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=649

I've got the old box and although I still use the BMW Bluetooth for calls (very rare do I ever receive them while driving), but with this Y cable I can use Siri and Hey Google etc as it picks up my voice fine for that. Can't use it for voice calls though as it's just not good enough.
Saves spending $400, that you're not going to spend anyway!
Hope that helps

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6748.00
CamasM3e933484.00
      02-28-2024, 02:50 PM   #1736
banan4i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e61 530d LCI

Hey Guys!

Just to chime in to the topic…
I have the p2000 installed on my e61 lci late 2008 (last ccc + cic controller). So far - i have been using it for a week and actually everything is great!
All buttons work except the “call” button on the steering wheel and the 8 sensor buttons. I guess after an update they will be fixed or at least the 8 sensory buttons.

Audio is 1:1 with the factory one - i have the hi-fi audio with 6fl option from factory. No bass issue no nothing equalizer is at factory settings (flat) and is great. I was kind of missing the radio but installed a radio app on my phone and it works great as well.

What i am missing are the cameras, i am planning to install four but am still researching which ones and how to wire them the best.

Lastly, the apparent thing i am missing is a good quality mic. The mr12volt one really sucks and there is a lot of echo (i also did the echo cancellation procedure in p2000 settings) for the other person on the call. I have moved the oem one to the blank right grill infront of the dome light and installed the mr12volt one at the oem position. I tested a spare video mic that i had (i am a photographer) but seems the p2000 cannot hear anything from it. So now i am looking for a mic swap - anyone happy with a particular aftermarket one?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 07:53 AM   #1737
SVP
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by banan4i View Post
Hey Guys!

Just to chime in to the topic…
I have the p2000 installed on my e61 lci late 2008 (last ccc + cic controller). So far - i have been using it for a week and actually everything is great!
All buttons work except the “call” button on the steering wheel and the 8 sensor buttons. I guess after an update they will be fixed or at least the 8 sensory buttons.

Audio is 1:1 with the factory one - i have the hi-fi audio with 6fl option from factory. No bass issue no nothing equalizer is at factory settings (flat) and is great. I was kind of missing the radio but installed a radio app on my phone and it works great as well.

What i am missing are the cameras, i am planning to install four but am still researching which ones and how to wire them the best.

Lastly, the apparent thing i am missing is a good quality mic. The mr12volt one really sucks and there is a lot of echo (i also did the echo cancellation procedure in p2000 settings) for the other person on the call. I have moved the oem one to the blank right grill infront of the dome light and installed the mr12volt one at the oem position. I tested a spare video mic that i had (i am a photographer) but seems the p2000 cannot hear anything from it. So now i am looking for a mic swap - anyone happy with a particular aftermarket one?

Thanks!
I also have this issue (see my previous posts). When I use the OEM microphone using the original BMW call functionality, then I have perfect call quality. When I use the OEM microphone in AA/carplay mode (mr12volt), the call quality is much worse and the other side indeed hears an echo. It thus seems it has nothing to do with the microphone itself, but rather with the hardware and/or software in the MR12Volt box (I hope it is not the hardware such that it can be fixed with an update, as recently suggested by some other people in this thread).
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6748.00
      03-01-2024, 08:49 AM   #1738
VR1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Waiting on this echo issue with the factory mic to be resolved then I’ll most likely pull the trigger
Appreciate 0