BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #133
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpari09 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out princess.
no problem oldie!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #134
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

lulz
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #135
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
And you're leaving that you can also do all of that on a 6MT. PLUS keeping a turbo spooled up (not to mention blasting by spectators just inches away from either side)... if you're good enough . This is how it's done by a master:

Who can honestly say now that your freaking DCT is more involved than a manual? Didn't think so.
The problem here is that most folks do not know the real definition driving involvement..

Thanks for the clarification LoL..Epic footwork!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:48 AM   #136
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
We have a bunch of posters here who have been doing for a few months (driving an MT) what some of us have been doing for decades and suddenly they are the atibiters of who is an enthusiast and who is not.
Thats exactly what grinds my gears.

Quote:

Some of these people need a serious reality check. Driving an M3 on public roads (whether it has an MT or a DCT) at 60% or less of its capabilities (and if they don't think that's what they are doing they need to take a few laps around a track in their own car with a professional driver at the wheel) requires minimal skill regardless of how "involved" they may feel.
I had a couple of laps being driven by Martin Brundle round Donnington when he was still a F1 driver...that really puts your driving skills into perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #137
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
No offense but these comments are a little silly... just because someone chooses a 6MT does NOT make them any more of an enthusiast than someone who chooses a DCT. Whether they use the auto mode or not. What defines an "enthusiast" in your mind and who are you to decide whether someone is one or not. There are lots of people who choose a 6MT that are every bit as much a "non-enthusiast" as a "non-enthusiast" DCT driver. Also, I would bet that "non-enthusiasts" aren't buying M3s but are buying either 5 series or Mercs. In my mind, what defines an "enthusiast" is ones passion and love of cars not whether they choose auto mode or not.

My wife drives my 6MT a lot and is as far from an enthusiast as I know... I guess that now, every time I see a 6MT, I just don't know if they are a true enthusiast and whether I can respect them

These types of comments are what annoy people. I own a 6MT and have for the last 20 years. I recently bought a DCT because of knee problems. I guess I might not be an enthusiast any longer. I will miss my 6MT for sure and, yes, maybe I will have a less involving experience but I'm sure I will have every bit as much fun with my car as I did before and will be much faster to boot.

I don't think you completely understood what I was saying, becuase we are saying almost the same thing, you are just using your wife to show that all 6MT are not enthusiasts, where as I was using the DCT. I agree not all 6MT owners are enthusisasts, but I think we can agree that if a typical off the street guy/gal who knows very little about cars is not going to buy the M3 in 6MT.

We used to compare every new fancy auto, SMG, DCT to the manual trans to see how it stacked up. I don't think we can do that anymore. The DCT is great, it much faster, easier and still gives the driver great control. My point, is that even though the 6MT is older, slower, and can be a PITA in situations, it is a slightly more involving drive than the DCT, and we 6MT owners wouldn't want it anyother way.

Again, I think they are both great. I am still wondering if I should have ordered the DCT. There are times that the DCT is just bad ass. Added to the fact that I just started to walk again becuase my left ankle was messed up from the military has me flopping back and forth. My stupid car just needs to enter production so I don't have that choice

Last edited by Franken///M; 04-19-2011 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #138
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Statements like this are what give BMW drivers the asshole label sometime. So are you saying that only enthusiast should be able to drive a ///M3? If you think for 1 minute that only pure enthusiast drive the 3 cars in bold you are living under a rock. How many people buy these cars (including the ///M3) that have no idea what they really purchased? Here in the states...plenty. Hell just read some of the post on this forum. C'mon man..............Phil
Hmmm, guess that is my problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post

"...and because there is an automatic mode the DCT community can be split between the true enthusiasts and the “others”. It is because of the DCT that when I see a M3 I don’t know who is driving it. Is it another M Fanatic? Or is some rich housewife?"

What an especially asinine comment
You are so
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #139
goodq
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There is just one thing I wanted to add as a twist to this.

As we keep going in time less and less sport cars will have a manual transmission on them. Even the purest of all car makers are moving away from the one thing that makes the car feel pure and involved. The new 458 Italia for instance would never see a manual transmission attached to it (what a shame!). The E39 was also the last of the M5's that had a manual gear box (one thing I will never forgive M for! V10 great engine I just wanted the option to choose manual!)

I can't help but feel that if you don't today get your chance in experiencing being so close tied with your car you might not be able to in the future.

Speaking for myself, I will always have a manual car until I can't have one anymore. Nothing beats the feeling of having that lovely extra peddle!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #140
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Last of the V8's, last of the manuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodq View Post

As we keep going in time less and less sport cars will have a manual transmission on them. Even the purest of all car makers are moving away from the one thing that makes the car feel pure and involved. The new 458 Italia for instance would never see a manual transmission attached to it (what a shame!). The E39 was also the last of the M5's that had a manual gear box (one thing I will never forgive M for! V10 great engine I just wanted the option to choose manual!)

I can't help but feel that if you don't today get your chance in experiencing being so close tied with your car you might not be able to in the future.

Speaking for myself, I will always have a manual car until I can't have one anymore. Nothing beats the feeling of having that lovely extra peddle!
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #141
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:

FYI, e60 M5 came with a manual as an option. Not a very good one, but it had one.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #142
xquizit
Iran
Rep
Drives: his parents crazy

Quote:

I've read about 20% of the posts here :| This was the best one!

I think the M might be my first MT car, but then again I've only had one car and that's the 330i that's been gone for over two years now.

I miss my e90 330i
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #143
goodq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
FYI, e60 M5 came with a manual as an option. Not a very good one, but it had one.
Your right! I didn't know. It was offered in North America only though. They say its due to the mass number of lawsuits against the SMG
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #144
goodq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquizit View Post

I think the M might be my first MT car, but then again I've only had one car and that's the 330i that's been gone for over two years now.
Would like to wish you the best of luck in your purchase and hope it happens soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #145
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Quote:
We have a bunch of posters here who have been doing for a few months (driving an MT) what some of us have been doing for decades and suddenly they are the atibiters of who is an enthusiast and who is not.

CA
Thats exactly what grinds my gears.
+1
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #146
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

This car was parked on West 44th Street today.

It was obviously not parked there by an enthusiast because when I looked inside there was (GASP!) NO CLUTCH PEDAL!

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #147
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Oh. Gaaassp! No clutch. Oh my. you mean this beautiful sport car was an Automatic. You know, I bet a housewife was driving it
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #148
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Come guys...why so insecure? I can't believe people are continuing to defend transmission choices. I guess the average age on this forum must be low.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #149
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Oh. Gaaassp! No clutch. Oh my. you mean this beautiful sport car was an Automatic. You know, I bet a housewife was driving it
Yup. It was an AT all right. I took this interior shot.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #150
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xquizit View Post

I have to agree wholeheartedly MT rocks

I was lucky to find one on the lot when I did, I did not want to wait for a 3 month delivery.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #151
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are a couiple of non-enthusiasts driving. Do they look like they are "involved"

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #152
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

[QUOTE=captainaudio;9410083]
Quote:
Here are a couiple of non-enthusiasts driving. Do they look like they are "involved"

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjEQDNXlhU
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #153
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I've finally been won over by the MT argument...so much so that I'm going to fit a clutch pedal and gear stick to my computer desk to take the place of my mouse's left and right buttons. Its going to be awesome!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:27 AM   #154
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Practicality is a very big parameter when chosing between the 2. I drive a DCT and it's set to D4/D5 most of the time. I only use S modes when i get the chance to blast. In my day to day driving, there are lots of cars around and there is simply no chance to give the car a good run. I run an IT business and constantly gets calls on my cell phone (via bluetooth of course). When behind the wheel, i often have to think and solve problems. Having to row gears manually is simply asking too much of myself, hence DCT.
Appreciate 0