BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #133
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Yep, its going to be good to have more data points on this one. I'm on the next round of mr12volt boxes, so I wont have it until sometime next month.

One thing I was wondering about. Is the microphone that normally ships with the mr12volt boxes a stereo mic or a mono mic? The reason why I ask, is that the 3.5mm plug is a stereo plug, but I dont know if its actually using the other channel or not. The mic splitter cable is a mono cable. Halfway wondering if a mono to stereo 3.5mm adapter might help.

Difficult to say without seeing the mr12bvolt mic in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 05:11 AM   #134
TheWoj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d

Hi, does anyone have a diagram of how to wire up the GreenYi camera from AliExpress? The instructions aren't hugely clear!

Where do you take the power from (the power cable doesn't look long enough to reach the front of the car)?

Secondly, the video cable has a short length of trigger wire at each end. Where do these get connected to?

If anyone has any pictures of how they connected it, it would be hugely helpful!
Thanks,
Alexander
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #135
SocalM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoj View Post
Hi, does anyone have a diagram of how to wire up the GreenYi camera from AliExpress? The instructions aren't hugely clear!

Where do you take the power from (the power cable doesn't look long enough to reach the front of the car)?

Secondly, the video cable has a short length of trigger wire at each end. Where do these get connected to?

If anyone has any pictures of how they connected it, it would be hugely helpful!
Thanks,
Alexander
Do you have DCT or Manual? The Mr12Volt unit supposedly can sense reverse gear with the DCT or Auto. If that is the case, you just need to use the long video cable with the red wire. Attach one end of the red wire from the video cable to the Rear Cam 12V wire on the Mr12Volt unit and the other end to the red wire of the power connector to the GreenYi Camera. I then grounded the black wire on the camera power connector to a bolt on on the trunk but I think you can also attach it to a ground wire. Make sure the settings for "Reverse Camera" is set to "Aftermarket 360" and the "Reverse Condition" is set to "Gear Position".

I have a manual E60 M5 and the reverse autosensing did not work for me (not sure if it would work for E9x 6MT). I had to hook up a separate wire from one of the reverse light wire from the rear and connect it to the 12V reverse wire on the Mr12Volt unit. I then have to change the "Reverse Condition" setting to "Reverse State".
E34 Alpine White II M5
E28 Black M5

Last edited by SocalM3; 09-25-2021 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
djan9el47.00
      09-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #136
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009550iMSport View Post
I have had more than one person ask what backup camera I am using. I'm using one that was recommended on the carsara thread: the GreenYi camera, option D.

GreenYi 170 Degree 1920x1080P AHD Special Vehicle Rear View Camera for BMW E82 E88 E84 E90 E91 E92 E93 E60 E61 3 5 X5 X6 Car

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP6H4bV
Will Mr12Volt support AHD 1080p GreenYi cameras? Option E?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #137
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalM3 View Post
Do you have DCT or Manual? The Mr12Volt unit supposedly can sense reverse gear with the DCT or Auto. If that is the case, you just need to use the long video cable with the red wire. Attach one end of the red wire from the video cable to the Rear Cam 12V wire on the Mr12Volt unit and the other end to the red wire of the power connector to the GreenYi Camera. I then grounded the black wire on the camera power connector to a bolt on on the trunk but I think you can also attach it to a ground wire. Make sure the settings for "Reverse Camera" is set to "Aftermarket 360" and the "Reverse Condition" is set to "Gear Position".

I have a manual E60 M5 and the reverse autosensing did not work for me (not sure if it would work for E9x 6MT). I had to hook up a separate wire from one of the reverse light wire from the rear and connect it to the 12V reverse wire on the Mr12Volt unit. I then have to change the "Reverse Condition" setting to "Reverse State".
Cannot Mr12Volt sense reverse from the bus, in the same way that the iDrive screen must, in order to present the overhead "view" and PDC status?
      09-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #138
SocalM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
Will Mr12Volt support AHD 1080p GreenYi cameras? Option E?
I got the GreenYi CVBS/AHD 720P camera (option D) but it will only recognize the CVBS-720P signal.
E34 Alpine White II M5
E28 Black M5
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #139
SocalM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Cannot Mr12Volt sense reverse from the bus, in the same way that the iDrive screen must, in order to present the overhead "view" and PDC status?
Not sure, it certainly did not work in my 6MT E60 M5 even though I have PDC, maybe someone with E9x M3 with 6MT can chime in.
E34 Alpine White II M5
E28 Black M5
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #140
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Not sure, it certainly did not work in my 6MT E60 M5 even though I have PDC, maybe someone with E9x M3 with 6MT can chime in.
While not with the 12Volt Unit, my 6MT E90 M3 with Andream uses can-bus to sense reverse and doesn't need to tap into reverse lights. Might just be e60s.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:15 AM   #141
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Received mic splitter in mail yesterday. Thank you to 2009550imsport. Mr12volt shipped yesterday. Scheduled to arrive Saturday.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #142
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

2009550iMSport

Did email you about a mic but never got response. Waiting for my pre-ordered Mr12volt to ship. Guessing next week
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:35 AM   #143
Daro80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
Received mic splitter in mail yesterday. Thank you to 2009550imsport. Mr12volt shipped yesterday. Scheduled to arrive Saturday.
Same here! I've got an email from Mr12volt that my unit is on its way, scheduled to arrive Saturday. 2009550imsport also shipped the mic splitter (Thanks again!). I just need to figure out the coding piece. Looking forward to a very interesting install

Any suggestions on the coding department? I've never coded my car before, so I guess I need to start finding an OBD/USB cable...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #144
drwankel
Major
Rep

Same here, got my shipping notification.

As for the coding- I've been digging into it, and it only seems like this is possible with NCSexpert. I do have a cable, but this will definitely be my first go around coding with that tool. Would be nice if carly or something else would let me set the option for the CIC, as NCSexpert seems to be powerful but crude.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #145
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 325, e30 325, e46 m3, 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Yep, its going to be good to have more data points on this one. I'm on the next round of mr12volt boxes, so I wont have it until sometime next month.

One thing I was wondering about. Is the microphone that normally ships with the mr12volt boxes a stereo mic or a mono mic? The reason why I ask, is that the 3.5mm plug is a stereo plug, but I dont know if its actually using the other channel or not. The mic splitter cable is a mono cable. Halfway wondering if a mono to stereo 3.5mm adapter might help.

Difficult to say without seeing the mr12bvolt mic in person.
I can say that the mic shipped is stereo. However, using a adapter to make a mono mic into a stereo shouldn't have any impact because a mono plug already connects to both channels with a stereo receiving end.

I suspect the noise issues are software related. Hopefully they just forgot to "turn on" CVC or will add it with an update.

I'll be installing mine (CCC) this weekend having received the splitter yesterday and installing / routing wiring for the rear camera last weekend and will test out for noise, though I don't have any issues using the stock system.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #146
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daro80 View Post
Same here! I've got an email from Mr12volt that my unit is on its way, scheduled to arrive Saturday. 2009550imsport also shipped the mic splitter (Thanks again!). I just need to figure out the coding piece. Looking forward to a very interesting install

Any suggestions on the coding department? I've never coded my car before, so I guess I need to start finding an OBD/USB cable...
Assuming it is correct, the first post says you need to change the value of CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc. That should be in the CIC/CCC ECU. My car already has a MOST ipod adapter, so I suspect I won't need to code, but I'll find out. There are guides and youtubes on NCS coding, but yes you'll need a cable and NCSexpert installed (NCSdummy is good to add on, if you want to see NCSexpert output in English and easy to read).

Last edited by netcsk; 10-03-2021 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #147
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daro80 View Post

Full version Bimmercode with a compatible ODB adapter is an option for coding. More expensive than going the NCSExpert route, but way easier to code. OP has information on how to use Bimmercode app to change CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc.

Last edited by djan9el; 09-30-2021 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:39 PM   #148
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
FYI:
MCU Change Log
20210916 Added steering wheel "Voice Command" button SIRI activation
Has anyone who has updated to this newer firmware confirm that the steering wheel voice for Siri works? I also assume the change track button on steering wheel works for skipping tracks as well?

Also wanted to confirm that the cable that 2009550iMSport is helping everyone source plugs into the existing oem mic cord and does not require running up a new cable to the oem mic in the headliner?

I was considering the Bimmertech and found this thread and wishing I found it sooner as they are currently sold out of their “presale”.

This is great information. Appreciate all the info in here.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #149
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Has anyone who has updated to this newer firmware confirm that the steering wheel voice for Siri works? I also assume the change track button on steering wheel works for skipping tracks as well?

Also wanted to confirm that the cable that 2009550iMSport is helping everyone source plugs into the existing oem mic cord and does not require running up a new cable to the oem mic in the headliner?

I was considering the Bimmertech and found this thread and wishing I found it sooner as they are currently sold out of their “presale”.

This is great information. Appreciate all the info in here.
That splitter cable runs all the way to the mic in the headliner, and connects there directly. So yes, you are running a new cable to the oem mic in the headliner.
Appreciate 1
happydude139.50
      10-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #150
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcsk View Post
Assuming it is correct, the first post says you need to change the value of CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc. That should be in the CAS ECU. My car already has a MOST ipod adapter, so I suspect I won't need to code, but I'll find out. There are guides and youtubes on NCS coding, but yes you'll need a cable and NCSexpert installed (NCSdummy is good to add on, if you want to see NCSexpert output in English and easy to read).
It's in the CIC. Not CAS.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #151
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Installed in my CCC car today! All works great with my android phone, both wireless and wired and the resolution really isn't too terrible.

There is zero noise cancelation with a ton of background noise on the other end, so I'm taking calls through the factory Bluetooth until that might change. Google Assistant prompting from the voice button works perfectly (obviously I updated the firmware) and listens through the factory mic (using mic splitter) without issue.

However my wife's iPhone XR will not connect to carplay at all. The phone sees it and will connect Bluetooth and show it as one of "my cars" but the unit never connects. I wonder what if there are issues with ios 15. Can anyone with ios 15 confirm theirs is working?

Other than this, the only thing I'm not thrilled with is that firmware updates require a microSD AND pulling the power plug from the unit. That makes adding an extension cable only part of the fix, so firmware updates will require me to pull the glove box to be able to pull power. Would be nice if they could have a prompt in the software to initiate an update.

The CCC unit requires a quad lock adapter, like the other solutions out there, so things are tight behind the dash, but not impossible. Of course, it communicates over the MOST bus just like the CIC unit.

I did not have to code but I had an ipod adapter before (removed now as both use the CD changer interface) so the options were already on. ISTA has a standing error of communication problems with the CD changer / ipod, but appears to be harming nothing and could be a result of me not removing the ipod coding.

Editing to add:
I also installed the previously recommended aliexpress backup camera. It is actually quite nice and fits well, especially considering the price. I ordered some LED reverse lights to aid nighttime performance. I tapped into a ground wire nearby on the trunk and hooked the power wire to the red wire that runs with the rca connection, which I hooked to the 12v out provided by the P2000. Getting the rca through the trunk harness boot was interesting - eventually used the hanger with a hook bent on the end to ensure the rca couldn't come off. I had to cut the white wire to remove the camera's built in guidelines. It all works well without needing a reverse light trigger on my automatic e90, including reverse lines that move with steering provided by the P2000.

The 'factory options' screen in the interface has an echo cancelation option that I would have expected to help with background noise but it immediately fails when starting.

Photos attached. Excuse the lack of an m3. I have one, just not my e90
Attached Images

Last edited by netcsk; 10-03-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #152
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:

Other than this, the only thing I'm not thrilled with is that firmware updates require a microSD AND pulling the power plug from the unit. That makes adding an extension cable only part of the fix, so firmware updates will require me to pull the glove box to be able to pull power. Would be nice if they could have a prompt in the software to initiate an update.
Maybe doing the soft reset would work when updating firmware?

Quote:

It is interesting to note that you can soft reset the unit by pressing down (OK) on the knob for 8 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #153
netcsk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
Maybe doing the soft reset would work when updating firmware?
Good idea for an attempt.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 03:58 AM   #154
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Installed in my CCC car today! All works great with my android phone, both wireless and wired and the resolution really isn't too terrible.

There is zero noise cancelation with a ton of background noise on the other end (using mic splitter), so I'm taking calls through the factory Bluetooth until that might change. Google Assistant prompting from the voice button works perfectly (obviously I updated the firmware) and listens through the factory mic (using mic splitter) without issue.

However my wife's iPhone XR will not connect to carplay at all. The phone sees it and will connect Bluetooth and show it as one of "my cars" but the unit never connects. I wonder what if there are issues with ios 15. Can anyone with ios 15 confirm their's is working?

The CCC unit requires a quad lock adapter, like the other solutions out there, so things are tight behind the dash, but not impossible. Of course, it communicates over the MOST bus just like the CIC unit.

I did not have to code but I had an ipod adapter before (removed now as both use the CD changer interface) so the options were already on. ISTA has a standing error of communication problems with the CD changer / ipod, but appears to be harming nothing and could be a result of me not removing the ipod coding.
Hope you get the Bluetooth and mic fixed. Mr12Volt arrived yesterday. Hope to install in the next couple of weeks. Can you please send pictures of the resolution in the CCC? Thank you
Appreciate 0