BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #133
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
But OP has stated in a earlier post, he went to the dealer with a suspicious knocking sound, and dealer verified it was normal and was the VANOS gear sound.

If it was indeed a bearing issue and the knock was rod bearings, then the dealership is responsible for providing falsifying information which might of led to this engine seizure.
I agree but this would be hard to prove in court, seeing as OP can't even prove it to himself (sorry). You'd be spending so much money on a lawsuit, you're probably better off with the deal instead (IMO). I know, it sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #134
dlloydj
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz View Post
I agree but this would be hard to prove in court, seeing as OP can't even prove it to himself (sorry). You'd be spending so much money on a lawsuit, you're probably better off with the deal instead (IMO). I know, it sucks.
That's what I eventually figured also. Given I have no warranty, and thus I'm at the mercy of charity from BMW and the dealer.
I'm happy with the outcome but disappointed in general that I had to go through this process. Thought I was getting a "performance" car......
Plus in my opinion, they should have made this offer off the bat, rather than making me grovel for help. Recall first offer was $5k, now its $15k with dealer pitching in also.

The one thing I am interested in, is the presence/absence VANOS gears knocking noise when the new motor goes in.

I wonder if I can request a follow up on the eventual strip down of the vehicle? I am highly curious.

Lastly, that flippin' rev report, why is it so hard to get my hands on it?? Hmm...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #135
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Loyd, so what do they say when you ask for the report..no you can't have it, or keep stalling?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #136
dlloydj
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Loyd, so what do they say when you ask for the report..no you can't have it, or keep stalling?
last conversation was with the dealer on tuesday night, I didnt address it when they told me of the assistance. I was too happy

What was really weird a few weeks ago when this drama was unraveling was a conversation with the Service Manager, when I asked for a copy of the rev report he said he didn't have it as BMW pulls it directly from the car. But it seemed he was able to quote from it. He mentioned that a BMW NA Field Service Engineer looked at it and when I asked for the contact details of that person or the report, he said that information requires a subpeona... I nearly jumped out of my chair. I laughed, guffawed and looked at him in shock.

IMHO, there is may be some evidence of a over rev (or what ever they consider an over rev) but that it doesn't coincide with the fateful day. I guess I (we) may never know!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #137
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
A subpoena for a tech data report from a car that you own??? Hmmmm.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #138
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Sounds to me like BMW is trying to "settle" things with the OP by flexing its might. I think everyone would agree that a modern BMW with 42k miles having catastrophic engine failure is absolutely unacceptable. I get that the car is out of warranty but its still a relatively new car. The explanation given as to why the engine failed has been sketchy at best.

Sounds like BMWs plan worked well. First tell customer it's their fault and its up to them to replace engine. Then after many back and forth exchanges make the customer feel they are getting a "good deal" by shelling out $10k which now seems not as high of a number after the initial quotes.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #139
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Sounds to me like BMW is trying to "settle" things with the OP by flexing its might. I think everyone would agree that a modern BMW with 42k miles having catastrophic engine failure is absolutely unacceptable. I get that the car is out of warranty but its still a relatively new car. The explanation given as to why the engine failed has been sketchy at best.

Sounds like BMWs plan worked well. First tell customer it's their fault and its up to them to replace engine. Then after many back and forth exchanges make the customer feel they are getting a "good deal" by shelling out $10k which now seems not as high of a number after the initial quotes.
Totally agree here. A car being out of warranty doesn't mean it's "fair enought" to fail at 42k miles, and "BMW is doing a good job" is still BS in my book particurlary when they seem to hide away data about root cause.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #140
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
But OP has stated in a earlier post, he went to the dealer with a suspicious knocking sound, and dealer verified it was normal and was the VANOS gear sound.

If it was indeed a bearing issue and the knock was rod bearings, then the dealership is responsible for providing falsifying information which might of led to this engine seizure.
This 5H1T happened only because most BMW/Dealers really s@ck , but the cause of the problem is created in the German factory by design flaw .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 08-23-2015 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #141
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Someone is trying to cover something up. It makes no sense why they are being so secretive over the data of that car. If what they said happened, they would have no issue showing you the data to support their claim.
      08-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #142
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

OP you might want to contact this law firm http://www.chimicles.com/bmw-m3-engi...action-lawsuit before paying $10K

Let us know if you do decide to go with them.
      08-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #143
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlloydj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz View Post
That's what I eventually figured also. Given I have no warranty, and thus I'm at the mercy of charity from BMW and the dealer.
I'm happy with the outcome but disappointed in general that I had to go through this process. Thought I was getting a "performance" car......
Plus in my opinion, they should have made this offer off the bat, rather than making me grovel for help. Recall first offer was $5k, now its $15k with dealer pitching in also.

The one thing I am interested in, is the presence/absence VANOS gears knocking noise when the new motor goes in.

I wonder if I can request a follow up on the eventual strip down of the vehicle? I am highly curious.

Lastly, that flippin' rev report, why is it so hard to get my hands on it?? Hmm...
Performance engines are probably more prone to problems. Engines like the s65 are high strung and see redline a lot more than your common 328i on the street. And to answer your next question, yes the performance engine is made to handle the power and abuse. But it's still going to have its problems specially when rod bearings are the weak point of the engine. A lot of high powered cars have problems. In fact I would bet those exotics are even worse.
Appreciate 0