BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #133
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Next time you want to make a statement about how you drive your car and the rest of us are pussies, I suggest you come down to a race track with me. If you try to keep up, there is a good chance you'll crash. Why did you buy a DCT if you only keep in in manual mode? Did you buy into the marketing hype about this being an "F1 derived racing transmission"? If I bought this car just to drive it like a sportscar, I wouldn't have bought an automatic. My car is a daily driver. If I wanted a "sportscar", the e90 M3 would not have been my first choice.

When you grow up, little boy, and they drop, maybe you can play with the big boys. Until then, STFU, you jap bike riding, poser. If you had any cajones, you'd be riding a Buell, and your M3 would have a manual transmission.
Well said. I am so sick of these folks who are either anti M-DCT or think they are gods gift to driving driveling on about the lag. Never one iota of anything useful to say. Although a bit harsh it was every bit deserved.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #134
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Next time you want to make a statement about how you drive your car and the rest of us are pussies, I suggest you come down to a race track with me.
Uh oh! I guess I ran into an "E-Thug" or are you upset cuz you're a "racer" and feel insulted? If people drove their cars as much as they whined about them, we wouldn't have to wade through 1000's of meaningless/repetitive lag threads. Or just sell the damn things so those of us who drive them a little harder on our way to get where we're going don't rearend those who drive them in "lag" mode on their way to the train station.

OK, I'll let you get back to your little "save the laggers" campaign. BTW, I didn't call u a pussy but ur complex seems to have exposed u a little.

People don't ride Buells, they just work on them. Buell: Making mechanics out of riders since day one!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #135
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waremark View Post
Personally, I suspect that the lag was increased at the software upgrade to make downchanges while braking to a halt smoother. No-one else seems to have mentioned this, but I used to find downchanges while braking to a halt somewhat rough, whereas since the upgrade downchanges while braking to a halt are smooth. I suspect that the engineers must be finding it difficult to achieve a better compromise which keeps things smooth, avoid stalling, but also eliminates the lag issue.
The lag definitely increased after the first software upgrade. This was concurrent with the improved smoothness of auto downshifts during deceleration. However, I don't think those two are necessarily tied together. Another very sharp memeber with a lot of track experience and experience with SMG suspected that the improvement/decrease in lag during upshift that resulted from the software upgrade was intimately linked to this low speed lag. He thought the software now biases the upper gear always for faster upshifts hence causing the lag when a downshift was required. I don't buy that explanation either.

My reasoning is that the lag happens most often in 2nd gear and happens when 2nd has already been selected for some time. Neither 1st nor 3rd are really coming into play. In my evaluation it is not a shift nor clutch lag but a delayed throttle response. After all it revs to match the pedal position AFTER a dead period with no throttle response. And again there is no shift, 2nd gear the entire time, pre-lag, lag and then post lag. As we know M-DCT does a lot of throttle and ignition control. It must do so to rev match and to allow the very fast upshifts (probably by cutting spark for just a fraction of a second). I think the bug is more along these lines. For some reason throttle input is ignored or spark is cut. Then as I mentioned it over compensates by simply trying to "catch up".

Ultimately it does not matter what is really happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by waremark View Post
In spite of this fault, I consider the DCT transmission to be brilliant; great for either the most relaxing or the most 'sporty' driving.
I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat this exact same sentiment. Many just don't seem to get it. The bloody thing is still brilliant. It is a bit like the supermodel with the small pimple on her chin.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #136
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
Uh oh! I guess I ran into an "E-Thug" or are you upset cuz you're a "racer" and feel insulted? If people drove their cars as much as they whined about them, we wouldn't have to wade through 1000's of meaningless/repetitive lag threads. Or just sell the damn things so those of us who drive them a little harder on our way to get where we're going don't rearend those who drive them in "lag" mode on their way to the train station.

OK, I'll let you get back to your little "save the laggers" campaign. BTW, I didn't call u a pussy but ur complex seems to have exposed u a little.

People don't ride Buells, they just work on them. Buell: Making mechanics out of riders since day one!
Get real. Your post was inciting, pure and simple. It was also insulting. Above you just continue along in the same nature. Also, I believe you are involved in an outright lie as well. This lag issue happens to nearly everyone, in any mode, regardless of the version of their transmission software. Maybe just to prove your money is where you mouth is how about humoring us with a post of you in front of your M-DCT M3 with a newspaper from today. Then you can go on and tell all of us (whom you don't even know anything about...) how much better of a driver you are than us.

Lastly, you do realize that there have been many different flavors of lag discussed here on the forum, right? There are actually different issues. Probably not...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #137
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:

True on the e-thug part. Like I said, I hadn't had my morning coffee.

Buells aren't high on my list of bikes, either. The RC is a bike no sane person is going to knock, so like I said, no coffee is my excuse.

You are missing my point, though. The lag is a real issue; and those of us that put 3000k miles a month on our cars expect them to perform without major flaws. BMW put out this transmission without proper testing, and we are suffering because of it.

I'm glad you're happy with the DCT. Maybe it doesn't act up for you, or maybe your driving style doesn't cause it to misbehave. That doesn't mean that it isn't flawed, and it doesn't mean that the folks that have problems with it don't drive hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #138
04RC51
Large Member
Rep

Quote:
True on the e-thug part. Like I said, I hadn't had my morning coffee.

Buells aren't high on my list of bikes, either. The RC is a bike no sane person is going to knock, so like I said, no coffee is my excuse.
See, now we're on the same page. RC51's are old news, but get alot of respect to this day. Doesn't happen very often anymore.

You should try decaf bro.

OK, on with the lag stuff. If u guys get something to happen, then any upgrade will just make my car that much better I guess?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #139
04RC51
Large Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Maybe just to prove your money is where you mouth is how about humoring us with a post of you in front of your M-DCT M3 with a newspaper from today. Then you can go on and tell all of us (whom you don't even know anything about...) how much better of a driver you are than us.
That's a little creepy, don't u think? This isn't a dating forum is it?

Anyway, lags suck! Lets get this lag fixed everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #140
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Don't need decaf.

Getting a 1098S.

Are you going to acknowledge swamp2's challenge?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #141
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:

Hmmmm?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 01:13 AM   #142
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
It seems that my early belief that the lag was gone mimics that of Waremark's experience as I too had zero lag during those first few hundred miles, that lead me to believe that the gearbox is a learning type an adapts to your driving style.

I also reckon and have already said this to swamp that I believe the gearbox has a design fault that is delaying BMW curing to problem any better than you currently have. Though I hope I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #143
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had the software updated on my car 2 weeks ago. I don't drive in auto mode so I can't make any comments about that. But in manual mode, the lag is only from 2nd to 3rd gear shifts and after spending the weekend at the Nurburgring, I can say with certainty that the car no longer has the downshift issue. On the track, the DCT performs perfectly. On daily drive, I wish I had a clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #144
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nope, not creepy at all. I seriously doubt you have a M-DCT M3. If you did you would have noticed the lag. Direct challenge: Show us you and your M3 and PROVE it is not some random picture. Hey I could be totally wrong but show me I am then laugh at me. Otherwise, my hunch is right and you are nothing but a bag of hot air.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #145
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Good to hear. However, unless you can (please) scan; copy/paste, etc. and post up your evidence. I'll still call it a rumor. We keep hearing rumor after rumor and all would love to see something, anything concrete.
Here is my correspondence with BMW (including my complaint letter) after having blanked out names / contact details. I am sure that the text in the top / latest email is all Greek to you (because it is Greek!) but what the Greek rep basically says is "please see fwd message below from Germany - I trust we will be given more guidance on this within March - thanks for your remarks etc etc"

I have left in my message my VIN and chassis number if you want to run a search and verify that this truly is an M3 with DCT.

Not the most comprehensive responce of all from BMW but still (i) they dont go on to say that this is "normal behaviour", (ii) they acknowledge that the M division is working on it, and (iii) confirms the "March" update.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW M3 DCT Lag Correspondence.pdf (246.0 KB, 252 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #146
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
I have left in my message my VIN and chassis number if you want to run a search and verify that this truly is an M3 with DCT.
Hmm not sure if that is good enough...really you should add a picture of yourself by the car holding your passport and a copy of todays newspaper. Ideally the picture should be contersigned by a judge or similar.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 04:21 AM   #147
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Hmm not sure if that is good enough...really you should add a picture of yourself by the car holding your passport and a copy of todays newspaper. Ideally the picture should be contersigned by a judge or similar.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #148
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I like the suggestion of pulling both paddles to set the car up for LC.

Nice idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #149
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
And that is why this thread also contains the same DCT lag/hesitation complaints from:
Nitramsen is in Switzerland
DamirM3 is in Calgary
Footie is in Northern Ireland
Gr8000 is in Athens Greece
M3-Mike is in Toronto
Mtres is in Portugal
Phoenix 21st is in London
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:28 AM   #150
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

btw, my dct is in for warranty work yesterday and today regarding nonresponsive downshift on paddles as well as body shop for scratch. I just called for update and they said it has been handed over to body shop so the issue has been fixed? it will be back today for QC check so maybe has had an update?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #151
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I like the suggestion of pulling both paddles to set the car up for LC.

Nice idea.
Thanks - I never understood why do we have to go through a 6 step process to initiate the LC...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #152
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks - I never understood why do we have to go through a 6 step process to initiate the LC...

Agreed but in a way thank goodness they have it the way it is because I reckon if it was a simple as you are suggesting there would be a shit load of M-DCT parts laying over many an intersection and BMW would be knee deep in warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:45 AM   #153
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Quote:
Here is my correspondence with BMW (including my complaint letter) after having blanked out names / contact details. I am sure that the text in the top / latest email is all Greek to you (because it is Greek!) but what the Greek rep basically says is "please see fwd message below from Germany - I trust we will be given more guidance on this within March - thanks for your remarks etc etc"

Not the most comprehensive responce of all from BMW but still (i) they dont go on to say that this is "normal behaviour", (ii) they acknowledge that the M division is working on it, and (iii) confirms the "March" update.
Perimeno kai eyo.....tha thoume ti tha yini apo afto to provlima.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #154
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Agreed but in a way thank goodness they have it the way it is because I reckon if it was a simple as you are suggesting there would be a shit load of M-DCT parts laying over many an intersection and BMW would be knee deep in warranty claims.

I very well see your point but IMO there is (and if not there should be) sufficient protection by the algorithm in not allowing you to re-enable LC before the car drives some distance (= DCT components are allowed to cool down).

Anyway, this is probably off topic here and has been discussed extensively in other threads. Aparently there are many of us who thing that the system is adequately protected and others who think the oposite! I support the former BUT I am not planning to test my theory in my DCT!!
Appreciate 0