BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #13223
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
I think like any car the driver mod is the most important one.

Entry point to a good 997 GT3 actually worth buying is $80k on the low side and that's rare. I feel like you're going to spend $90-100k for the condition I want, or you're going to buy one at $80-85k and need to spend $10k to take care of some maintenance and get it sorted.

Even if you started with a more expensive, very clean LCI E92 at $35k, put another $25k into it and it's going to be a hell of a car for $60k total.
Agreed. However, think about this way... my car a similar amount spent on it in terms of what mods are currently on the car and what's been done. But if I were to sell the car, the car is unlikely to fetch a good price compared to a clean, stock example.

A stock 997 GT3 has good cooling and other go-fast bits stock. One could just get camber plates and good tires, and just track it. Then sell it stock with less depreciation. (I assume)

So what's the wiser long-term decision? Lower entry cost vs. lower long-term depreciation?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #13224
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
Agreed. However, think about this way... my car a similar amount spent on it in terms of what mods are currently on the car and what's been done. But if I were to sell the car, the car is unlikely to fetch a good price compared to a clean, stock example.

A stock 997 GT3 has good cooling and other go-fast bits stock. One could just get camber plates and good tires, and just track it. Then sell it stock with less depreciation. (I assume)

So what's the wiser long-term decision? Lower entry cost vs. lower long-term depreciation?
I think it's difficult to say because the two are just so different in price right now.

Given what the market for GT Porsches is doing you could probably track a 997 GT3, put some mileage on it and sell it for exactly what you paid down the road. Who knows it might even appreciate lol. Right now and for the next few years I see the E9X's continuing to depreciate until they reach a point like the E46's did a couple of years ago and start to go up in value again.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1073.00
      07-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #13225
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Agreed! It's hard to figure out. It's a gamble. Luckily it's not actionable for me anyways. I'm already too deep in this car!
Appreciate 1
tsk941526.00
      07-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #13226
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
I think it's difficult to say because the two are just so different in price right now.

Given what the market for GT Porsches is doing you could probably track a 997 GT3, put some mileage on it and sell it for exactly what you paid down the road. Who knows it might even appreciate lol. Right now and for the next few years I see the E9X's continuing to depreciate until they reach a point like the E46's did a couple of years ago and start to go up in value again.
I feel like really good E9x examples are already starting to slowly trend upwards. Of course a lot of this is based on what I see cars listed for vs what they actually sell for but I think it won't take too many more years for the guys with the desirable spec cars that still have low-ish milage to start seeing real good numbers.

This won't be me either. I think I have a good spec but the car is far from stock now and at a minimum due to the front bumper being cut for the GTS lip/splitter it would be impossible to return it to 100% stock/original parts.

The used market is weird these days though. If you were a well known YouTube guy or had a huge following on Instagram you could easily get far far more than some unknown guy/girl with the exact same and/or cleaner car just because no one knows who they are.

This is a reason I actually like keeping and seeing other people who make a build journal of some sort. It gets you a glimpse of how that person likely cared for the car, how they drove it, and what kind of overall condition it's in. I bought my current one without ever even driving it....didn't need to. I could tell it was what I wanted and the previous owner took the same kind of care/precautions I would have. May sound strange to blindly trust someone but it seemed overly evident I wouldn't have to worry about what I was getting. Previous owner was local though so at least I saw the car a few times before buying.
tsk941526.00
      07-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #13227
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Macht Schnell - DCT Gauge Boss - BMW E9X M3

I am looking for Macht Schnell - DCT Gauge Boss - BMW E9X M3.

EAS said its been discontinued
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #13228
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
997 GT3 >>> E9x M3
This depends on state of mod. They aren't that fast.
Agree to disagree?
Appreciate 3
Bartledoo2691.50
dbyrd307.00
      07-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #13229
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Agree to disagree?
Of course haha. Cheers.
      07-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #13230
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

All these different perspectives and debate about what's faster, GT3 or built M3, reminds me about my own wonderment. Because I go through LOTS of daydreaming about what I could do - upgrade existing track car; strip and convert daily driver; buy something new to me - soo many possibilities...GT3, GT4, M2CS R, super-built-track M3, etc., but recognize that I continue to like the "built" as opposed to "bought" approach.

Once in a while I catch myself and think about why I go to the track. It really is just to have fun, chasing others and continue learning and improving my skills. I just got an Apex Pro, so I'm starting to post lap times. However since I'm not racing, I'm not sure that more speed = more fun for me. For now, ecstatic that we all have been able to get back on a track in this tragic year!
Appreciate 2
Bartledoo2691.50
b4hand661.00
      07-31-2020, 12:05 AM   #13231
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMANN View Post
All these different perspectives and debate about what's faster, GT3 or built M3, reminds me about my own wonderment. Because I go through LOTS of daydreaming about what I could do - upgrade existing track car; strip and convert daily driver; buy something new to me - soo many possibilities...GT3, GT4, M2CS R, super-built-track M3, etc., but recognize that I continue to like the "built" as opposed to "bought" approach.

Once in a while I catch myself and think about why I go to the track. It really is just to have fun, chasing others and continue learning and improving my skills. I just got an Apex Pro, so I'm starting to post lap times. However since I'm not racing, I'm not sure that more speed = more fun for me. For now, ecstatic that we all have been able to get back on a track in this tragic year!
Yea, there are so many ways to skin a cat. Seems like the most fun thing would just be to switch between lots of different cars, learning each one and then moving on to another.
TMANN38.00
      07-31-2020, 06:15 AM   #13232
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:

This is often very much how I feel and most of us have a bad tendency to think the grass is greener on the other side. I know for me I find bone stock cars boring regardless of how good they are. And I don't necessarily mean boring to drive but just the drive isn't what cars are all about to me. I think I like to tinker and work on them almost as much as driving.

Go to a big Porsche meet and you'll see loads of GT3s that all look just like the next one because owners won't change a thing. Still one of my absolute favorite cars straight from the factory but it's about more than that for me. this doesn't represent all owners but more or them than less. For all I know maybe it would be nice to have a car that's basically perfect and doesn't need a thing. Maybe one day I'll find out.

Last edited by //steve\\; 07-31-2020 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
TMANN38.00
      08-01-2020, 12:29 AM   #13233
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
...Go to a big Porsche meet and you'll see loads of GT3s that all look just like the next one because owners won't change a thing...
Yep, its typical for PCA days here in the PNW to see 10-15 GT3/RS and GT4's. So I get lots of time to watch them in the paddock and on track. There's a great variety of color which keeps it interesting. Its a different vibe than the "built" crowd because no one is staring into their engine bays (not much to see anyway I guess). I do get a few lookers at my old E36 M3 and nice comments, they're just nostalgic perhaps as some say "I use to have one of those, loved it, miss that car" or something like that. It does give me pause when I'm daydreaming about something else. They're good guys and gals, all friendly, no attitudes.

Bartledoo - so on the money man! Would love to have a stable of cars to learn and try different things.
Appreciate 2
Bartledoo2691.50
//steve\\1074.00
      08-01-2020, 01:07 AM   #13234
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
DCT pan install is kicking my ass over the dumbest things. First the felt cover and the rear screws (took a while to find my deep socket 6-point 10 mm) and now removing the snap ring on the filter. I have the tool but it opens just barely enough to be annoyingly useless. Looks like this is going to be a three day project.

I had about 1.3 L come out of the fill plug. The fluid was pretty dark but not much debris on the magnet.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:37 AM   #13235
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, its typical for PCA days here in the PNW to see 10-15 GT3/RS and GT4's. So I get lots of time to watch them in the paddock and on track. There's a great variety of color which keeps it interesting. Its a different vibe than the "built" crowd because no one is staring into their engine bays (not much to see anyway I guess). I do get a few lookers at my old E36 M3 and nice comments, they're just nostalgic perhaps as some say "I use to have one of those, loved it, miss that car" or something like that. It does give me pause when I'm daydreaming about something else. They're good guys and gals, all friendly, no attitudes.

Bartledoo - so on the money man! Would love to have a stable of cars to learn and try different things.
Yea the Porsche people are cool. I even signed up for a PCA event over a BMW CCA event at Pacific, because I'm so used to being on track with the Porsches haha. Hope to meet you out there sometime too!
      08-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #13236
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am not sure I can tell people apart based on what they drive. I found most people at an HPDE event to be very nice.

I can tell people apart based on "speed", those that like to go fast are more interesting to talk to than those that like to show off their car. But this categorization is obviously a biased one since I am more interested in going fast. The people themselves are equally nice but one group is more helpful than the other.

If you expect a "show off" person to be helpful with a jack, or changing tires before your next session starts, it is not a fair expectation and that person can be viewed as "not nice" or "standoffish" but I think it is just not fair expectation.

I do expect everyone in the advance group to give "point by", regardless of what they drive, since part of being in the advance group is awareness that some one is behind you.

My typical contribution to the driver meeting is the sentence "There is only ONE reason for someone to be behind you, he is faster, move to the side and give them point by"
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11593.00
      08-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #13237
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Is this appearance normal? Did back to back track days in hot 38C weather. No brake fade or judder or anything. Using PFC Z rated pads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #13238
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Is this appearance normal? Did back to back track days in hot 38C weather. No brake fade or judder or anything. Using PFC Z rated pads.
No, that looks like smearing. It's normal from street driving but on the track you want a very consistent blue color without streaks or splotchiness. Were you getting into the ABS a lot? How did the brake pedal feel, was there any pad fade?

I thought the "Z" is their performance street pad, not their track pad?
      08-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #13239
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Couple photos and vids from COTA with NASA last weekend. Took first in TT3 on Saturday (ran unopposed) but took second to a heavily-prepped C6 Z06 on Sunday. Weather was trash on Sunday because the hurricane's tendrils were brushing the circuit. We'd get 20 minutes of torrential rain, then the sun would come out and dry a lot of it up, only for the rain to come right back.

A lot of us were 2-3s off pace which is baffling given that the track had been repaved after the USGP and has seen plenty of HPDEs and events since. I dunno. The new sway bars were pretty nice, the car felt much more neutral through the carousel and the telemetry even validated that -- plus the front tires didn't get shredded from high-speed understeer like they did at the previous event.

Attached Images

Ximian1965.50
roastbeef11593.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      08-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #13240
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
DCT pan install is kicking my ass over the dumbest things. First the felt cover and the rear screws (took a while to find my deep socket 6-point 10 mm) and now removing the snap ring on the filter. I have the tool but it opens just barely enough to be annoyingly useless. Looks like this is going to be a three day project.

I had about 1.3 L come out of the fill plug. The fluid was pretty dark but not much debris on the magnet.
Finally done installing the pan. The 50 ml tube of Loctite is more than enough but gets hard to squeeze out. The extension to the suction/pick up tube is a little shady because there wasn’t a satisfying click when installing it, more of a snap. Now to waiting a day before filling up the fluid.

The filter snap ring is the biggest PITA. I got the Lisle snap ring pliers which open up wide and have a 90 degree clip. The clip should stick out as little as possible from the pliers for best leverage. To pull out the snap ring, compress it then pull down. After a few tries, it should pop out a bit. Same for reinstalling the new one. If the ring keeps popping off the pliers, try different pliers. The filter cover pulls out with two flat head screw drivers or needle nose pliers. I used the pliers to get the filter out too.

With a lift and the right tools ahead of time, this is a 3-4 hour job. On jackstands with constantly searching the the toolbox to find the right socket, I’m two days in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #13241
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post

Finally done installing the pan. The 50 ml tube of Loctite is more than enough but gets hard to squeeze out. The extension to the suction/pick up tube is a little shady because there wasn't a satisfying click when installing it, more of a snap. Now to waiting a day before filling up the fluid.
Good to hear you got it done
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #13242
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Couple photos and vids from COTA with NASA last weekend. Took first in TT3 on Saturday (ran unopposed) but took second to a heavily-prepped C6 Z06 on Sunday. Weather was trash on Sunday because the hurricane's tendrils were brushing the circuit. We'd get 20 minutes of torrential rain, then the sun would come out and dry a lot of it up, only for the rain to come right back.

A lot of us were 2-3s off pace which is baffling given that the track had been repaved after the USGP and has seen plenty of HPDEs and events since. I dunno. The new sway bars were pretty nice, the car felt much more neutral through the carousel and the telemetry even validated that -- plus the front tires didn't get shredded from high-speed understeer like they did at the previous event.

How's your GS been treating u reliability wise ?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #13243
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Took first in TT3 on Saturday (ran unopposed)
"won the class." hey, winning is winning.
      08-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #13244
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What's the farting sound at lower RPM?