BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

03-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #111
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

Here's a few of my splitter just gave it a fresh paint job. Mounted to the metal skid plate and front from the crash support bar. Spats also help along the side
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Bartledoo2694.50
///Mobbin1478.00
roastbeef11648.50
      03-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #112
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCUSE_M3 View Post
Here's a few of my splitter just gave it a fresh paint job. Mounted to the metal skid plate and front from the crash support bar. Spats also help along the side
Looks good, like the tunnels. Have been considering them as well but shelved them until we have some more time to spend on it. Would want to open up the fenders behind the wheels at the same time - have vents but do not think that would be enough to handle the extra volume.

Have you had to up spring rate to handle the additional DF up front now?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #113
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
Looks good, like the tunnels. Have been considering them as well but shelved them until we have some more time to spend on it. Would want to open up the fenders behind the wheels at the same time - have vents but do not think that would be enough to handle the extra volume.

Have you had to up spring rate to handle the additional DF up front now?
I have the vents above the wheels as well. Have not tried the tunnels yet so it will be new. I have 1000lbs front doings so think I might be alright. Sucks I'm going to be trying this the first time at NASA TT but we will see how it does. Should be faster in theory but we will see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
roastbeef11648.50
      03-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #114
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
I have the vents above the wheels as well. Have not tried the tunnels yet so it will be new. I have 1000lbs front doings so think I might be alright. Sucks I'm going to be trying this the first time at NASA TT but we will see how it does. Should be faster in theory but we will see.
Good luck with it - will be interesting to hear your feedback afterwards. And good luck chasing the lap record.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #115
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
After I gutted the car in 2015, I had to add a rear wing because the rear was so light from the gutting and the car was hard to drive. In my case, at first, the rear wing wasn't so much about gaining time as it was just making the car drivable again. But the big 67" wing in the rear by itself without front aero caused a lot of understeer on high speed rounders. I didn't go with a smaller wing because I figured I would do full aero someday and didn't want to buy two wings. When I added the splitter, the front aero was a huge change for the car. By balancing out the aero, I dropped 3 seconds at every track. It wasn't hard to learn or drive because this is how you wanted the car to drive!

I added the canards, fender holes and hood vents later. I added them one at a time. I can't tell you I could feel those changes specifically. I do believe they add up to something useful though.

I'm sure your 1000 lbs front springs will be able to handle anything you throw at them.

I'm really interested to hear what you guys think of full aero once you get to hammer on it!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #116
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
After I gutted the car in 2015, I had to add a rear wing because the rear was so light from the gutting and the car was hard to drive. In my case, at first, the rear wing wasn't so much about gaining time as it was just making the car drivable again. But the big 67" wing in the rear by itself without front aero caused a lot of understeer on high speed rounders. I didn't go with a smaller wing because I figured I would do full aero someday and didn't want to buy two wings. When I added the splitter, the front aero was a huge change for the car. By balancing out the aero, I dropped 3 seconds at every track. It wasn't hard to learn or drive because this is how you wanted the car to drive!

I added the canards, fender holes and hood vents later. I added them one at a time. I can't tell you I could feel those changes specifically. I do believe they add up to something useful though.

I'm sure your 1000 lbs front springs will be able to handle anything you throw at them.

I'm really interested to hear what you guys think of full aero once you get to hammer on it!
This was the previous set up at ECR minus a dam. Was comparing the differences. Car has had aero for a while but not to this extent.

Here's the car on DH's this was quicker then the current TT3 record at this track let's hope for the best and see what it can do lol.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Ngilbe361618.50
b4hand661.00
      03-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #117
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This was the previous set up at ECR minus a dam. Was comparing the differences. Car has had aero for a while but not to this extent.

Here's the car on DH's this was quicker then the current TT3 record at this track let's hope for the best and see what it can do lol.
An E90! Yay!

Ok, help me out here. I'm not sure what I'm looking at:

-Is there only one hood latch? (One of mine broke while on track at COTA. If you only have one, I would recommend two. I even kept the OEM hood safety catch.)

-in that photo, you have a splitter, but no lip to fill the gap between the bumper and splitter. Is that what you mean by "minus the dam"? I think your picture of the newly painted splitter above will address that right?

-What's the width of the rear wing?

-passenger seat? What's that for? You know, it's blocking my view.....

In the video, the car looks like it has good turn in.

(Is there any kind of cage or roll bar in the car? From the photo, I don't see a hoop. I don't mean to lecture, but with full aero and Pirellis, your cornering speeds are such that you may need more safety. Anyway, just looking out for the well being of another forum dude.)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #118
OG Shark
Rep

Made it out to our local track yesterday - Harris Hill Raceway. For those of you not familiar with H2R - lets just say it is a bit on the bumpy side... They are actually shutting down starting next week for a planned repave. Very excited to see how it turns out.

The goal was pretty much just to make sure the car is running well. The last time we were out was a mixed bag but did end on a good note. Since then we have replaced all the injectors and switched over to an Epic race tune. Needed to take it out and flog it a bit to make sure everything was running well.

The car ran very well; the track is too rough to be able to push really hard but none of the gremlins that we have had before showed up. We are now going to shut the car down the next few months and tie up all the loose ends we have left. Most of it is aesthetic but we do want the car to look as good as it runs. Need to clean up the interior - mainly the tangle of wires everywhere and put together a clean panel for all the switches & buttons. Also going to paint the cage & floor.

For the exterior we have new fenders and a hood on the way from Flossman. As we improve the front aero I feel like the car could benefit from the vents behind the front wheels. The hood is just to save a couple of pounds - we have a lot of room to cut weight still in the classes we run. The final design of the wrap is in the works and should be on the car before the next time it goes on track. Also the Bimmerworld carbon fiber doors ought to be here next week!

Mechanically/performance wise we do have a couple of tricks up our sleeves planned for the next couple of months. I'm not going to divulge those quite yet though

Here's the video of my fast lap from yesterday at Harris Hill. Barely made it out of bed this morning, everything hurts...

Appreciate 2
b4hand661.00
DRLane4058.50
      03-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #119
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Made it out to our local track yesterday - Harris Hill Raceway. For those of you not familiar with H2R - lets just say it is a bit on the bumpy side... They are actually shutting down starting next week for a planned repave. Very excited to see how it turns out.

The goal was pretty much just to make sure the car is running well. The last time we were out was a mixed bag but did end on a good note. Since then we have replaced all the injectors and switched over to an Epic race tune. Needed to take it out and flog it a bit to make sure everything was running well.

The car ran very well; the track is too rough to be able to push really hard but none of the gremlins that we have had before showed up. We are now going to shut the car down the next few months and tie up all the loose ends we have left. Most of it is aesthetic but we do want the car to look as good as it runs. Need to clean up the interior - mainly the tangle of wires everywhere and put together a clean panel for all the switches & buttons. Also going to paint the cage & floor.

For the exterior we have new fenders and a hood on the way from Flossman. As we improve the front aero I feel like the car could benefit from the vents behind the front wheels. The hood is just to save a couple of pounds - we have a lot of room to cut weight still in the classes we run. The final design of the wrap is in the works and should be on the car before the next time it goes on track. Also the Bimmerworld carbon fiber doors ought to be here next week!

Mechanically/performance wise we do have a couple of tricks up our sleeves planned for the next couple of months. I'm not going to divulge those quite yet though

Here's the video of my fast lap from yesterday at Harris Hill. Barely made it out of bed this morning, everything hurts...
Glad to hear the gremlins are gone. Sounds like you have some fun mods coming----hood, fenders, carbon doors, wrap, new interior paint and oooh secrets! Nice! Can't wait to see the new livery!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #120
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Glad to hear the gremlins are gone. Sounds like you have some fun mods coming----hood, fenders, carbon doors, wrap, new interior paint and oooh secrets! Nice! Can't wait to see the new livery!
Yeah running pretty strong now - so what better time to make some changes!
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1478.00
SYT_Shadow11736.00
      03-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #121
OG Shark
Rep

With life kind of at a standstill right now - all I have new to show right now are doors. Yup doors. At least they are pretty though.

Appreciate 2
      03-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #122
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
With life kind of at a standstill right now - all I have new to show right now are doors. Yup doors. At least they are pretty though.

Looks good, hopefully they fit better than the fibreglass ones! Did you weigh them by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #123
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Looks good, hopefully they fit better than the fibreglass ones! Did you weigh them by any chance?
Haven't weighed them - will do before all the hardware goes on. I think they are maybe a little lighter than the fiberglass but not much. I would guess around 7lbs as they are now. Sure hope they fit!

Fenders & hood are getting ready to ship so probably going to wait & fit everything at once.
Appreciate 1
tsk941557.00
      03-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #124
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, SG & '89 635 CSi

Quote:
Haven't weighed them - will do before all the hardware goes on. I think they are maybe a little lighter than the fiberglass but not much. I would guess around 7lbs as they are now. Sure hope they fit!

Fenders & hood are getting ready to ship so probably going to wait & fit everything at once.
You'll find that they are a GREAT fit! these were really well made. Yes, about 7lbs is right. My stripped- no glass or motors- doors were 35lbs each with OEM mirrors! Great upgrade and weight saving for the money!
DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.
Appreciate 3
Kelse921132.50
OG Shark4884.50
      03-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #125
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRBRNG View Post
You'll find that they are a GREAT fit! these were really well made. Yes, about 7lbs is right. My stripped- no glass or motors- doors were 35lbs each with OEM mirrors! Great upgrade and weight saving for the money!
That's definitely good to hear on the fit of the doors! How did your hood & fenders fit? I made the jump to those too. the front aero is a work in progress & feel the vent behind the front wheels will help. And the hood - well slippery slopes and lack of self control & all that... wasn't going to mess with the body except the fiberglass doors...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #126
CanadianE90
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Inspiring build OG!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4884.50
      03-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #127
Zulu Saffa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Them Wild

Quote:

Was out at H2R on the 15th with Track Night America. So happy they are going to resurface the track. My DD's suspension took a beating on the moguls going up the hill into turn 4 + breaking traction was no fun, neither is the bump at 6. I would constantly go off racing line to try avoid said obstacles.

Love the build and hope to see it in person some day. Any chance you live in SW Austin? Your house looks like it could be in my hood.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4884.50
      03-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #128
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianE90 View Post
Inspiring build OG!
Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Saffa View Post
Was out at H2R on the 15th with Track Night America. So happy they are going to resurface the track. My DD's suspension took a beating on the moguls going up the hill into turn 4 + breaking traction was no fun, neither is the bump at 6. I would constantly go off racing line to try avoid said obstacles.

Love the build and hope to see it in person some day. Any chance you live in SW Austin? Your house looks like it could be in my hood.

Cheers.
Definitely agree - thrilled they are repaving H2R. Just too damn bumpy the way it was. Me & the car took an absolute beating that day. Had said I wasn't going to go back until after the repave but we wanted to make sure everything was running well before messing with the car again. I definitely felt it the next day. Going to be awesome with a smooth surface.

That was our old house in San Antonio - still in the same area though, nice & quiet here. Once H2R is resurfaced we will head out there pretty regularly - more than welcome to join us. Had planned on running in a few races at COTA this year as well but we will see how that shakes out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #129
OG Shark
Rep

Have a few parts that I had purchased for the race car that never made it on. Time to dress up the E90 M3 a bit now

Also going to try the gintani xpipe with HFC's & corsa axle back that I had on the E92. Might be a bit much for a street car though, we'll see.
Appreciate 2
Kelse921132.50
      03-30-2020, 05:23 AM   #130
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
i'm interested to see some pics of this mounted. i'm assuming you're planning on having those aj hartman channels to end and tie into the oem fender liner?
      06-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #131
OG Shark
Rep

Update

Making some pretty good progress the last few weeks.

The fuel cell has been moved - now in front of the rear axle & sunk down a bit. The trunk area is now completely open so that we have plenty of space for the coolers being relocated back there. The air jacks need to be mounted and then we should be ready for interior paint after a bit more cleanup & make pretty.

Waiting for the new radiator so that we can get it mounted in the new location. Need it in place so that we can finalize the intake dimensions & get all the fabrication under way on the front of the car.

New wheels are here - Signature Wheel SV502s. Moving to 18" x 12" - square... we'll see how that works out. In SCCA T1 can only run max 11" wide on the front so will be set up for that option already too. If 12" square doesn't show any benefit over 11"/12" stagger then will likely keep with the staggered setup for a bit more uniformity in the different classes we might run. Tire choices are going to be DOT - Hoosier A7/R7 315/30/18 on the 11s & 335/30/18 on the 12s. Non DOT - looking at Yoko A005 slicks 280/650R18 on the 11s & 300/650R18 on the 12s

Yes they are going to fit - one way or another...
Appreciate 1
tsk941557.00
      06-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #132
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Can you fit 345/35R18 in the wheel wells? That's another alternative size on the 18x12 wheel.

I actually run 335/30R18 right now on an 18x12.5 wheel in the rear, but HoHos are available in the 345 size along with RRs.

Last edited by dparm; 06-25-2020 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0