BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #1079
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
+1

I don't think this guy ever bounced off the rev limiter at any stage. Very smooth driving and in fact he knew how to drive on the 'Ring especially the way he tackled some of the corners and bends. There is no way you can attribute this to track abuse. This could have happened during DD or any other spirited driving. Just because he recorded it and posted it on YouTube doesn't mean that tracking the car resulted in bearing failure. Let's chill out and look at the main issue here.

Show some sympathy. He was enjoying the car and not trying to destroy it. This could have been one of us.
Watch the video again and stop the video at exactly "9:22" runtime..
White smoke came from under the hood , and smoke was also behind the car via the exhaust... because when the other cars were passing by they drove through a mist of smoke this happens at "9:25" !
And so probably a new black hole was made in a S65 engine block...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #1080
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Counting in that all kind of parts do take alot of wear through the year's, we definately can speak about abuse in this case.
7-8 years for an high- rever is ALOT more so when you take such an old fart to the track and think you can beat the hell out of it, as if it were brand spanking new.
People should start to understand that their BMW wasn't built in HOGWARTS with wearing parts magically swapping them self when overdue.

Keep your ///M in honour, treat it with respect, it's old and in retirement
Just be happy you can drive it, as it tells alot about you. You are an Real enthusiasts rocking the hottest car ever made!
Hmm. My 140,000+ mile, 430hp NA s54 never got that memo. But only ~10,000 of the miles on it are track miles so far

... Nor did my recently sold (yesterday) s50b32 (euro e36 m3 motor).

... Nor did the e30 M3's/s14's you routinely still see at track events.

Tracking an M3 is respecting/honoring it. It's using it as intended. Street driving it only is wasting it/missing the point. Beyond that, there doesn't seem to be a ton of corelation on the s65 between tracking and rod bearing failure, nor mileage and bearing failure. Many street only, low mileage, pussy driven cars have had this issue.

Last edited by Obioban; 07-27-2015 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 05:59 AM   #1081
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Hmm. My 140,000+ mile, 430hp NA s54 never got that memo. But only ~10,000 of the miles on it are track miles so far

... Nor did my recently sold (yesterday) s50b32 (euro e36 m3 motor).

... Nor did the e30 M3's/s14's you routinely still see at track events.

Tracking an M3 is respecting/honoring it. It's using it as intended. Street driving it only is wasting it/missing the point. Beyond that, there doesn't seem to be a ton of corelation on the s65 between tracking and rod bearing failure, nor mileage and bearing failure. Many street only, low mileage, pussy driven cars have had this issue.
Street only driven is ment by you as pussy driven car's?

See where ya come from and due to obviously wide spreading oppinion's on behave of the subject, at this point, discussion come's between you and me to an end.
Thank you for your effort and participation.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #1082
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Just bought a 2011 E90 with 13,800 miles. I'm terrified. It's going to blow at any moment!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #1083
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteckba View Post
Just bought a 2011 E90 with 13,800 miles. I'm terrified. It's going to blow at any moment!
Don't worry! Be happy and drive it. Blackstone reports may or may not catch excessive wear, whatever that is? I have 135k on mine.

Do you have a warranty? Only 13800 miles? Get one for up to 100000 miles and relax.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #1084
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
Don't worry! Be happy and drive it. Blackstone reports may or may not catch excessive wear, whatever that is? I have 135k on mine.
I'm at 118K. This stuff's ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #1085
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteckba View Post
Congratulations and welcome aboard man!

Now, why would you worry over an engine that have 14k miles on the clock..?

I bought mine at 12k, wanted to take an oil samples when I started to read about the bearing issue but eventually instead decided my car is fresh, no issues, period. Changing oil every 5k miles, respect the engine when cold, obviously keep an ear open for any odd noises but that's it. As long as the machine sounds good, it is good enough for me.

Enjoy man!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #1086
///MTex
Rep
Drives: '15 Azurite Black F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well, add another one to the list. I just experienced rod bearing failure on my 2009 M3 with 57k miles. My mechanic has said the crankshaft is damaged, as well, resulting in an engine that is not reusable. Now, I'm facing engine replacement to the tune of $15k-25K, depending on whether I go with a used engine or one that has been remanufactured. This is absolutely unbelievable for a vehicle of this caliber!

I bought mine in 2012 as a lease return with 25k miles on it and have driven it w/no major problems until now. Maintenance has been completed at standards higher than BMW's requirements, always using 10W-60. I know there's debate on this, but I wanted to follow BMW's recommendations. I'm not going to say I've babied it, but has certainly not been abused. I mean who can resist revving up that sweet engine!
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #1087
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

2009 Same Year as Mine

Now I'm really worried. Your mileage is similar to mine. Any warning signs?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #1088
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqureshi View Post
Well, add another one to the list. I just experienced rod bearing failure on my 2009 M3 with 57k miles. My mechanic has said the crankshaft is damaged, as well, resulting in an engine that is not reusable. Now, I'm facing engine replacement to the tune of $15k-25K, depending on whether I go with a used engine or one that has been remanufactured. This is absolutely unbelievable for a vehicle of this caliber!

I bought mine in 2012 as a lease return with 25k miles on it and have driven it w/no major problems until now. Maintenance has been completed at standards higher than BMW's requirements, always using 10W-60. I know there's debate on this, but I wanted to follow BMW's recommendations. I'm not going to say I've babied it, but has certainly not been abused. I mean who can resist revving up that sweet engine!
Sorry to hear that man, its just a crap shoot. Either get good engine or a bad one or one inbetween.
Sadly your prob much much safter getting a M3 with 90k already on it, that way if it was going to blow it would of done so already lol.
Really hate you had that happen to your car man, makes me sick.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #1089
///MTex
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
Now I'm really worried. Your mileage is similar to mine. Any warning signs?
Not really from a drivability standpoint. Although, now that I've seen some of the videos at the beginning of this thread, I would say I heard engine ticking sounds similar to those for possibly the whole time I've had it. However, I didn't know they weren't normal.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #1090
mrMTB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 i01 Rex

Quote:
I bought mine in 2012 as a lease return with 25k miles on it and have driven it w/no major problems until now. Maintenance has been completed at standards higher than BMW's requirements, always using 10W-60. I know there's debate on this, but I wanted to follow BMW's recommendations.
If you have the records for all of your maintenance from when you purchased it, you might consider opening a case with BMW and see if there's any goodwill they might give you on it. I assume your independent did the analysis of the failure, not a BMW dealer?
Gone: 01 e39 540iA
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #1091
///MTex
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMTB View Post
If you have the records for all of your maintenance from when you purchased it, you might consider opening a case with BMW and see if there's any goodwill they might give you on it. I assume your independent did the analysis of the failure, not a BMW dealer?
I'm currently pursuing that option. I've emailed customerrelations@bmwusa.com to express my disappointment and request some assistance. Is that what you mean by opening a case or is there a more formal procedure of which I should be aware?

My independent did the diagnosis, although he had suggested originally that I take it to a dealer. I thought, if it was just rod bearings, it would be cheaper to repair through him than at a dealer. Plus, I wanted to go with something other than OEM bearings. My car is now sitting with him with it's belly open waiting for next steps.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #1092
///MTex
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Pictures from my car. I've seen a lot of photos of rod bearings over the past couple of weeks and these seem to be among the worst. It just doesn't seem like this should happen at 57k miles.

These are from bearings 1 and 2. The #1 bearing spun and got really hot, discoloring the cap. The #2 bearing has worn through the top layer into copper. I am in a really bad situation here because the cost to repair it is approximately 50-65% of the value of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #1093
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Pictures from my car. I've seen a lot of photos of rod bearings over the past couple of weeks and these seem to be among the worst. It just doesn't seem like this should happen at 57k miles.

These are from bearings 1 and 2. The #1 bearing spun and got really hot, discoloring the cap. The #2 bearing has worn through the top layer into copper. I am in a really bad situation here because the cost to repair it is approximately 50-65% of the value of the car.
Wow that looks really bad..With this kind of shavings your S65 is for the dustbin .
Your S65 is distroyed and you need another or a rebuilt S65 from BMW .
This should never happen at 57k miles ! Sorry about your luck .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #1094
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Clicking Noise

Well - after driving the car today and listening to the engine afterwards, I've got the "clicking noise" sounding almost identical to the last video at the beginning of the thread. Guess I'm on a time bomb

Means I may have to fast forward my rod bearing replacement plan. Damn. Like the poster above I just assumed it was the natural sound of the car.

Are my indy mechanics going to love me... last month got the throttle actuator gears replaced, next month the rod bearings. Hopefully that'll be the last big maintenance item until rotors and pads next year.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #1095
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well - after driving the car today and listening to the engine afterwards, I've got the "clicking noise" sounding almost identical to the last video at the beginning of the thread. Guess I'm on a time bomb

Means I may have to fast forward my rod bearing replacement plan. Damn. Like the poster above I just assumed it was the natural sound of the car.

Are my indy mechanics going to love me... last month got the throttle actuator gears replaced, next month the rod bearings. Hopefully that'll be the last big maintenance item until rotors and pads next year.
Little bit further on that, I've YouTube'd the sound at this link:

... if any experts care to take a look and give me their opinion I'd mightily obliged.

Not being mechanical, I'm wondering if I'm like the hypochondriacal medical student who, upon learning symptoms for a disease, immediately finds they have them.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #1096
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Little bit further on that, I've YouTube'd the sound at this link:

... if any experts care to take a look and give me their opinion I'd mightily obliged.

Not being mechanical, I'm wondering if I'm like the hypochondriacal medical student who, upon learning symptoms for a disease, immediately finds they have them.
The ticking noise from the Youtube video are the ticking noises from the valve train and are normal for our S65 engines .

If you want to record and post a video about suspicious noises of our S65 engine you should hold your cam close to the driver side front wheel and rev your S65 a few times slowly up to 3K rpm's .

Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #1097
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
The ticking noise from the Youtube video are the ticking noises from the valve train and are normal for our S65 engines .

If you want to record and post a video about suspicious noises of our S65 engine you should hold your cam close to the driver side front wheel and rev your S65 a few times slowly up to 3K rpm's .
Thank you very, very much for your reply; and apologies if it seemed an ignorant question, but I'd rather be red-faced than miss an obvious sign of pending engine failure. I'll try to get another video later this afternoon and see if there is actually a suspicious noise or if it's just my paranoia. If I get anything suspicious, I'll post.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to listen and reply.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #1098
2jzinsider
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Popped my engine last week. 2011 dtc completion with 62k miles. I drive the car hard daily hitting redline whenever I get the chance. I purchased it as a certified pre owned BMW at 32k miles.

Anyway...

Did a hard 1st to 2nd from a stop light and the car shut off... Started the car back on and went straight to the dealer and took it in for a loaner. Service adviser just called me today and said that the bearings are toast.... The third party warranty is going to cover a brand new engine and gave the green light for the dealer to start ordering parts. Before I got off the phone my service adviser said "you are lucky cause parts is almost 25k alone" 🙌🏽
Appreciate 2
      09-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #1099
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very, very much for your reply; and apologies if it seemed an ignorant question, but I'd rather be red-faced than miss an obvious sign of pending engine failure. I'll try to get another video later this afternoon and see if there is actually a suspicious noise or if it's just my paranoia. If I get anything suspicious, I'll post.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to listen and reply.
All my pleasure , that's what I'm doing on here... listen to S65's from all over the world .
BTW...Any S65 owner should be paranoia only by reading the name of this thread .
Just PM me at any time ...

Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #1100
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzinsider View Post
Popped my engine last week. 2011 dtc completion with 62k miles. I drive the car hard daily hitting redline whenever I get the chance. I purchased it as a certified pre owned BMW at 32k miles.

Anyway...

Did a hard 1st to 2nd from a stop light and the car shut off... Started the car back on and went straight to the dealer and took it in for a loaner. Service adviser just called me today and said that the bearings are toast.... The third party warranty is going to cover a brand new engine and gave the green light for the dealer to start ordering parts. Before I got off the phone my service adviser said "you are lucky cause parts is almost 25k alone" 🙌🏽
No , In the US it's about 20-22K for a rebuilt engine by BMW .
Did you heard any rattle noises from your S65 when your BF happened ?
"Sorry about your luck" ,and sadly because I said this also to someone else on here and only 5 hours ago...above .

Appreciate 0