BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #67
TanDaMan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed
I assume it is the very aggressive gearing.

High revving and "small motor" aren't really good "excuses" IMHO.

Just look at all the high revving small Honda VTEC motors
You don't see any 8 cylinder VTECs.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #68
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanDaMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed
I assume it is the very aggressive gearing.

High revving and "small motor" aren't really good "excuses" IMHO.

Just look at all the high revving small Honda VTEC motors
You don't see any 8 cylinder VTECs.
True but isnt vanos just a copy of vtec? Lol. Sad but true.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #69
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Nope. VTEC has alternate cam lobes. That can be another set of cams for lift and duration. But it's fixed.

VANOS alters valve timing. It's infinitely variable as opposed to fixed. But it does not change the cam profile like VTEC.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #70
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Yeah so they just took vtec and made it variable timing. I believe vtec has that now too.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #71
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah so they just took vtec and made it variable timing. I believe vtec has that now too.
I don't think I explained it clearly. With VANOS, the engine management system can adjust the phase of the cams in relation to the crankshaft, but the cam profile is the same. The same lift, the same duration. It just occurs at a different time in the combustion cycle.

With VTEC, there is a whole new set of cam lobes for the valves to follow. I do think you're correct that Honda also added variable valve timing to the VTEC system. But I don't think it's accurate to say that VANOS is VTEC with variable timing. It's not that at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #72
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
because the s65 doesnt let you get out of the throttle. once you take it deep to 8K land you want to every shift.
Where's that damn 'like' button.
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #73
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
port injection in the S65 is a GOOD thing, IMO. Agree with the gearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
for those wanting DI, do a google search for RS4, carbon, and valves
This. DI is absolute garbage, I'm extremely happy M division hasn't used it on any NA engines.

If you actually drive the car and plan to keep it for a while, carbon buildup will bite you in the ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
^off topic, I always wondered about how responsive is the 6th gear in the Corvette. How does that compare to our 6th gear? The 6th gear in the M3 is actually pretty decent in terms of power/responsiveness in my humble opinion. Probably why our highway mpg suffers also. Can't have it all.
No need to wonder. It's not responsive at all.

InsideLine had a 600hp long term Viper. The 8.4L V10. They said you could not use 6th unless you were going over 85mph because it put the engine at idle rpms.

In my opinion, although the M3 is geared slightly too low, the Corvette, Viper and other 'performance cars' are stupidly geared. I would be seriously upset to drive a brutish Viper and have to downshift several gears to pass someone up.

The E46M and E92M are all able to pass up very well in 6th gear...

My question is why the DCT doesn't have a really long 7th gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #74
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Huh?

Not at all alike and definitely not a copy. Look at torque curves of the S65 and compare against any other engine...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #75
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Some decent replies here and some total crap as well...

It all comes down to engine character. That is the root cause.

Let's examine a steady cruising speed just to keep it simple. The primary losses (other than lost heat, which doesn't count as to the engines rated power anyway) are aerodynamic, drivetrain losses and tire losses. These all depend on speed as well. To keep the vehicle propelling forward the losses are just overcome and then you have no acceleration, i.e. velocity is constant. It is a total amount of power (cruising power) that is required to balance the losses. That power can come from high torque and low rpm or low torque and high rpm. You can guess which will offer the better fuel consumption as it is then all about rpm (of course for a given fixed displacement). It is a natural compromise in engine design one "typical" M3 type of engine is low displacement, high power, low torque, high redline, this is a racing style engine (no perhaps not at all levels of racing but surely at the elite levels such as F1), the other say a Vette is high displacement, lower power (relative to displacement), high torque, low redline. In an engine such as the latter one the power to just match all of the cruising losses as a given speed is achieved at low rpm. The rpm is even low enough to offset the fuel efficiency advantage that comes with a lower displacement. The drivetrain losses are also lower due to lower rpms (tire and aero losses are identical though if the same size tires and same body).

The gearing argument basically vanishes when you look at things from the perspective of power. Yes the two engine styles have different gearing but they do naturally to match the engines characteristic torque curve and redline.

What you get in exchange for this compromise is indeed the type of engine that "begs" to be driven hard and rewards you when youu do.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #76
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Some decent replies here and some total crap as well...

It all comes down to engine character. That is the root cause.

Let's examine a steady cruising speed just to keep it simple. The primary losses (other than lost heat, which doesn't count as to the engines rated power anyway) are aerodynamic, drivetrain losses and tire losses. These all depend on speed as well. To keep the vehicle propelling forward the losses are just overcome and then you have no acceleration, i.e. velocity is constant. It is a total amount of power (cruising power) that is required to balance the losses. That power can come from high torque and low rpm or low torque and high rpm. You can guess which will offer the better fuel consumption as it is then all about rpm (of course for a given fixed displacement). It is a natural compromise in engine design one "typical" M3 type of engine is low displacement, high power, low torque, high redline, this is a racing style engine (no perhaps not at all levels of racing but surely at the elite levels such as F1), the other say a Vette is high displacement, lower power (relative to displacement), high torque, low redline. In an engine such as the latter one the power to just match all of the cruising losses as a given speed is achieved at low rpm. The rpm is even low enough to offset the fuel efficiency advantage that comes with a lower displacement. The drivetrain losses are also lower due to lower rpms (tire and aero losses are identical though if the same size tires and same body).

The gearing argument basically vanishes when you look at things from the perspective of power. Yes the two engine styles have different gearing but they do naturally to match the engines characteristic torque curve and redline.

What you get in exchange for this compromise is indeed the type of engine that "begs" to be driven hard and rewards you when youu do.
Did you know that the human head weighs 8 lbs ?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #77
Tomislav
Panty Schtuffer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
1997 BMW 323i  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [8.00]
You don't buy an m3 for gas mileage
.: 1994 E36 M3 3.0 - 19" BBS LM Reps, Bilsteins :.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #78
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
Rep
Drives: S54, S65, N54T

Quote:
Quote:

:facepalm: You obviously have no idea how either system work so please go educate yourself instead of making such retarded posts
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #79
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
The M3 achieves better mileage than the Toyota Prius:

Proof:

DETAILS BEGIN AT 3 min : 25 seconds

- V

Jeremy talked me into buying an M3 so that I too could be green.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #80
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)...the name itself implies that it has ALWAYS had variable timing. Even the original VTEC (if I'm not mistaken, it was on the 1990 Integra) had variable timing.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #81
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Lmao
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #82
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Agree, Mini has been problematic, but continues to sell like crazy. We'll all be glad we have port injection, nobody wants to deal with this every 40-50k miles:

It's really not a big deal anymore now that people know about it. These were first generation motors that had this issues and there's an easy "fix" which is a catch can. The walnut cleaning can be done for around $350 (LTBMW) now too. A 15% increase in power and mileage would put the S65 at 475 HP and 19mpg overall (assuming 17mpg overall). Even without a catch can, I'd pay $300 every 50,000 miles for that engine. Even if it was a 10% improvement, I'd be very happy with it.

There was a pretty good article in Road & Track last month about this and the manufactures are now aware of this issue and designing engines to take this into consideration. It's also an area where GM/Ford see to be ahead of the Europeans in since they seem to not have this issues as much and in the article, a few engineers mentioned that they took this into consideration when designing DI engines.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #83
Real Stig
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Why do you care about MPG in an M3?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #84
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Stig View Post
Why do you care about MPG in an M3?
Because gas costs money. And if heavier, more powerful cars are getting better MPG's, then why not wonder why?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #85
Lute__
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 JB M3

The way I look at it, gas guzzling is a small price to pay for such a race oriented car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #86
brisance
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2011 AW FR E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP

Is there any way for you to scan and post the relevant article online, maybe in a new thread? Don't want to go off-topic here and risk the wrath of the moderators, but I'm interested in this. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
It's really not a big deal anymore now that people know about it. These were first generation motors that had this issues and there's an easy "fix" which is a catch can. The walnut cleaning can be done for around $350 (LTBMW) now too. A 15% increase in power and mileage would put the S65 at 475 HP and 19mpg overall (assuming 17mpg overall). Even without a catch can, I'd pay $300 every 50,000 miles for that engine. Even if it was a 10% improvement, I'd be very happy with it.

There was a pretty good article in Road & Track last month about this and the manufactures are now aware of this issue and designing engines to take this into consideration. It's also an area where GM/Ford see to be ahead of the Europeans in since they seem to not have this issues as much and in the article, a few engineers mentioned that they took this into consideration when designing DI engines.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #87
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik View Post
Because gas costs money. And if heavier, more powerful cars are getting better MPG's, then why not wonder why?
Whats hard to understand ?

Its a little N/A engine that makes a lot of power.

Theres a reason why american v8s are big. I would bet if the S65 was bigger and had more torque it would get better MPG.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #88
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik View Post
Gotta pay to play. I put 2500 miles a month and never care about how much gas i pay for. It gives me so much fun
Appreciate 0