BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #67
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

IMHO I wouldn't pay another dime to this place. Certainly wouldn't have them put it back together if you plan on bringing it somewhere else. Yes the car can roll around without the transmission in it.

Worst case scenario I would put a used engine back in it and sell it. And only if I really did know that the engine was seized. An attempt to spin the crank manually with no transmission would be a valid test for that. Why in the world would they have pulled the starter to test? They could have attempted to spin the crank from the beginning?! Also a DCT car being "overreved" is very very questionable. Only way I see that being a possibly is if you have aftermarket software on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #68
dlloydj
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
IMHO I wouldn't pay another dime to this place. Certainly wouldn't have them put it back together if you plan on bringing it somewhere else. Yes the car can roll around without the transmission in it.

Worst case scenario I would put a used engine back in it and sell it. And only if I really did know that the engine was seized. An attempt to spin the crank manually with no transmission would be a valid test for that. Why in the world would they have pulled the starter to test? They could have attempted to spin the crank from the beginning?! Also a DCT car being "overreved" is very very questionable. Only way I see that being a possibly is if you have aftermarket software on the car.
The foreman insists it is feasible to over rev when down shifting 'on a hill'. And that was the killer. In his opinion.
We took borescope to each cylinder. All look fine.
Suspect spun bearing.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #69
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlloydj
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post

The foreman insists it is feasible to over rev when down shifting 'on a hill'. And that was the killer. In his opinion.
Suspect spun bearing.
I love that he gave you his opinion. I guess we'll just have to take him at his word...

Sounds like this are moving in a favorable direction though right? What's the next move?
      08-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #70
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i would be pretty livid if the dealer told me the car had 30 seconds of over-rev logged, then told me it was possible when downshifting to land at the cusp of 8,400 rpms when going downhill.

do you have a tune? do you know that 100%?
      08-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #71
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

I I find highly highly questionable with D CT ...op...get the car to an indy....find the problem...lawyer up like another member i read about and have BMW NA buy back your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #72
dwennerberg
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

I have an Indy shop and I am tight with some dealers. I can help. Don't pay them. Pm me or call 949-375-2695.
Pure performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #73
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlloydj View Post
Suspect spun bearing.
Loyd, yes it might be possible one of a million times but BMW still says the DCT provide protection. Look it up in the manual and read out loud to the man!

Last edited by Helmsman; 08-15-2015 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #74
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Suspect spun bearing.
Pull the oil filter and cut it open...if its full of sparkly copper particles then you will most likely need a replacement motor.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #75
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

So what is the reason for arguing about the cause of the failure ultimately matter at this point? If that car is out of warranty, BMW doesn't have a liability to fix it regardless of the reason. Im not sure why people are saying to lawyer up. What case would you have for a failure for a car that is out of warranty? I'm sure there is no documentation you are going to find that says that a DCT is guaranteed to protect your engine from failure under every condition. People around this forum seem to that that every time an engine blow it's BMW's liability to fix them. Well, shit happens and engines blow sometimes and cars have a warranty that expires after a period of time for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #76
heartcolorgrey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP AW/Speed Cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Schaeffer BMW View Post

So even a internet genius like you hasn't ruled it out.
Did I come off pretentious? What's your problem?

Most ppl in the thread tead to agree over-rev couldn't have caused the issue. If he threw a piston or cracked the block he would've been told so right away.

You have any ideas for OP? Or you just want to play internet tough guy?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #77
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
So what is the reason for arguing about the cause of the failure ultimately matter at this point? If that car is out of warranty, BMW doesn't have a liability to fix it regardless of the reason. Im not sure why people are saying to lawyer up. What case would you have for a failure for a car that is out of warranty? I'm sure there is no documentation you are going to find that says that a DCT is guaranteed to protect your engine from failure under every condition. People around this forum seem to that that every time an engine blow it's BMW's liability to fix them. Well, shit happens and engines blow sometimes and cars have a warranty that expires after a period of time for a reason.
You suggest an engine should only be good for as long as the factory warranty hold, and breaking down shortly after should be acceptable?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #78
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
You suggest an engine should only be good for as long as the factory warranty hold, and breaking down shortly after should be acceptable?
Hey Nik...I think the point is, if you want your car to be covered by warranty then you need to take out an extended warranty. If you don't want to pay for one then you take the risks involved....BMW have no obligation to pay for anything
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #79
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
the point is that no matter what the failure is. if you are out of warranty. any car maker has no obligations to fix your problem. Rather its your fault or the companies. i didnt even realize the OP was out of warranty. hes not going to get BMW to fix this.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #80
dlloydj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
the point is that no matter what the failure is. if you are out of warranty. any car maker has no obligations to fix your problem. Rather its your fault or the companies. i didnt even realize the OP was out of warranty. hes not going to get BMW to fix this.
This is true. So their offer of $5k goodwill really is goodwill.

And to answer the point made by others, it does seem a little unfair that 3000 miles after the end of the warranty the engine blows. Admittedly I was out of coverage. But shit happened and yes it happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #81
dlloydj
Rep

Quote:
Loyd, yes it might be possible one of a million times but BMW still says the DCT provide protection. Look it up in the manual and read out loud to the man!
Shop foreman said he had seen this half dozen times in his 30 years at BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #82
dlloydj
Rep

When visited yesterday he tried to turn the engine and demonstrated it was seized. When I asked if I could find out exactly what the failure was he said he'd need to remove engine and strip it down. I'm not paying any more to the dealer.
Also he said if I pick it up in pieces then the diagnostic charges will be halved. i.e. 1500 instead of 3000.

Remaining options are 1) see if the dealer and bmwna will give me $20000 credit towards a car, 2) pick it up and sell it to someone for cash, or 3) fix it at an independent. The latter can be subdivided further into 3a) fixing the seize/crank or 3b) second hand engine replacement.
Does anyone know of reputable Indy in LA or better still Ventura County?
Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #83
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is true. So their offer of $5k goodwill really is goodwill.

And to answer the point made by others, it does seem a little unfair that 3000 miles after the end of the warranty the engine blows. Admittedly I was out of coverage. But shit happened and yes it happened to me.
it does suck. There was a m3 forum member that got his engine replaced out of warranty. BMW did it out of goodwill.

so theres hope.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #84
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
it does suck. There was a m3 forum member that got his engine replaced out of warranty. BMW did it out of goodwill.

so theres hope.
1/100 chance...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #85
A Fire Inside
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
1/100 chance...
"So you're saying there's a chance."
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #86
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fire Inside View Post
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #87
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fire Inside View Post
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #88
90028 SGM3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Does anyone know of reputable Indy in LA or better still Ventura County?
Thanks all
Luckily for you there's a million good shop recommendations in the LA/Socal regional thread stickies, but you could try calling Mike Melika at Melika European Motors in Venice, he's a super honest indy who isn't cheap but won't rip you off for anything you don't need, and has always done amazing work with super diligence to detail for me.

(310) 396-2425

good luck.
Appreciate 0