BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #67
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Except that's not what he's talking about. This isn't about stuff breaking. He's talking about people complaining about the electronic gizmos being sub par (he mentioned the 08 iDrive, in particular) in spite of a great car (mechanically).

I was using it as an example..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #68
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I was using it as an example..
Yeah, I know. The thread (except that guy) got the gist: M3 = mechanical awesomety, electric gizmos = not so important
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #69
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

die thread, die
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #70
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Right I genuinely cant be arsed to do all the proper quoty stuff so you'll have to work this out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg
Lol, so if someone posts a point of view, in this case "I have a problem" then it isnt valid to post a point of view that states "I dont have this problem because I do this"?
In this case "yes". I didn't ask for alternative ways of doing things. Just sayed what bothers me. I can't stop you from saying stuff. Say anything you want... I'm not Chairman Mao! :P

I didn’t ask you to comment on my posts but hey, its a forum.

Quote:
How does that work then? That means only people who have the same view should post in a given thread. It would make for some pretty tedious threads not to mention bugger all help for the OP as all he gets is his/her own opinion reiterated by people with the same view/issue?

That's all and nice, but I wasn't asking for opinions, just stating what I didn't like. I don't see how the logic fails. If I don't like feature A, telling me about feature B isn't going to change the fact that I still don't like feature A. That's why the narrow scope *in this case*.

I didn’t ask for your opinion either, just saying what I did and leaving it for anyone, including you to read it, comment, take it on board if you want or not.

Quote:
2. Don't enter text, so you have nothing to contribute on comment about sucky text entry
And this is very cool. I didn't know I could do this. And thank you. However, my concern stands... text entry via the iDrive still sucks. I really don't want to have to call BMW, I want to do it myself.

And you prove my point, you thank me for highlighting an alternative you describe as “very cool” that you “didn’t know you could do” yet above state that you didn’t ask for alternative ways of doing things?
Should I guess what people want to read and temper my posts accordingly?

Quote:
Nothing to contribute? ...
Context. Don't lose the context (you're accusing me of misquoting?). Nothing to contribute that addresses the actual complaint. This is cool. Again, thank you. Again, does not address the fact that text input sucks.

My contributions directly address the actual complaint. As it is impossible to change what the 08 iDrive does it is impossible to address it without expressing alternatives. I have done precisely that. The above sound slike you just want me to agree that text sucks. Whats the point in that?

Quote:
I would leave it mate, you're making no sense at all.
If you say so. I've referred to specific thing, I'm getting answers that involve other stuff. Yeah...

Nope, you’re all over the place, even in the post you made last with contradictions I have mentioned.

Quote:
You are also continuing to misquote me. Dont make out I said I dont use them, I didnt,
Really?
Quote:
2. I dont enter text, I ring BMW and they send the destination. Piece of piss.

I do use NAV, I don’t use text, I use an alternative that is better. Why carry on with text if you hate it and an alternative exists unless just so you can moan on a forum?

Quote:

3. Trip info. Ive set off, Ive driven, I got there. What else is there? I dont look at average speed, mpg or anything else, who gives a toss?

Ill give you that one, I don’t use it.

Quote:
4. Ipod. Dont use it. My iPhone is in a phone dock in the armrest instead. I have a 32gig USB stick. I tend to listen to the same few albums for a few weeks and then move on to some others and maybe back again or whatever. I have a networked laptop in the garage connected to my media centre. Every now and again I drag some new music onto the stick. It holds plenty at 32 gig anyway.

I do use the music interface , I don’t use iPod, thats the point. I use an alternative that is better. Why carry on with iPod if you hate it and an alternative exists?

Quote:
5. TPMS. I dont use it. Didnt bother with the sensors when I fitted the breytons. My tyres have nitrogen in and every now and again I bob into the tyre centre near my office and they check and fill where needed (never needs any).

Hmm, well ok. I meant I don’t use TPMS because I didn’t find it reliable and found an alternative (the same theme as above) with nitrogen that is better.

Quote:
I said I use the functions in a different way
Which again is fine and dandy and neat. But in no way addresses that fact that if you did use the feature, that is available, in the iDrive, in the way that it was intended to be used, by whomever wrote the software for it... that it would suck!

They're not an issue to you because you either don't use it or work around it.
And you’ve admitted at least one of them is of interest to you. Why not just accept the suggestions in the first place and avoid a load of daft posts?

Quote:
so I had them filled with nitrogen that never loses pressure (in my experience).
Side question: Is this true? I thought everything loses pressure over time? Air seems to be about 1 psi per month in my case. If that's true about Nitrogen... my dealer does free Nitrogen fills, I should go there...

Another suggestion from me you might like by any chance? Get my point? I'm told this by the tyre place I use. Im told its because air changes temperature and creates leaks as it expands and contracts. Nitrogen stays at the same temperature avoiding this. Im no expert, I’m trusting their word. However, my pressures never change.

Quote:
Are you going to blatantly continue to misquote me or are you going to read what I write (or maybe its too complicated?). I dont mind, its mildly entertaining and I'm bored for the moment.
I am reading it. Again, not saying you're wrong. Again, not saying it isn't interesting. Again, it doesn't make the specific feature any better. Again, also bored with little better to do at the moment... and I'm hungry, grrrr

Fair do’s, I like a good debate myself.

Quote:
PS. I am an Evil Villain and I DO have a white cat that I stroke while contemplating my next post.
Perhaps, I'll write it in Esperanto, that'll learn you! Oops, too late, maybe the next one then.

I'm English, we dont do foreign.It's English or nowt

Quote:
PPS. Rather than hijak this chap's thread any further if you desperately want to try and prove your point feel free to PM me although Ill be bored by the morning so time is limited.
I hate the PM system... and I'm sure others are finding this fun too (hopefully). Probably best to hijack this thread anyways as op didn't like people calling him a spoiled kid and yearns for the days when cars were designed by the Amish. The 750i is apparently a technological terror and 328i drivers are the suxxors.

They are all stunning compared to the 5 GT which is so fugly it could have every bit of kit from every building in Silicon Valley glued to the dashboard and I still wouldn’t get in one.

Last thing cos its 2am here. If you want to persist for the life of your ownership of the car with the things you hate about the 08 iDrive good luck to you. Personally if I posted "I hate A, B and C" and someone said "I achieve A, B and C through these methods so I dont share your frustration" I would simply think, "Hmm, I'll try some/all/one of those".

As it appears you like a couple of my suggestions, then I hope my original post will reduce your iDrive pain.

Im now officially bored and have left the building.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #71
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

PS. What was the thread about again?

PPS. On second thoughts, I dont care.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #72
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
...snip...
Getting bored, hard to follow without quotey stuff, and blood sugar low... sux. Just pretend, I wrote a bunch of stuff in the following box to argue with you.

{ this is the following box }

Quote:
[B]Last thing cos its 2am here. If you want to persist for the life of your ownership of the car with the things you hate about the 08 iDrive good luck to you. Personally if I posted "I hate A, B and C" and someone said "I achieve A, B and C through these methods so I dont share your frustration" I would simply think, "Hmm, I'll try some/all/one of those".
Look, while you have neat suggestions they don't really help me.

2. I'd rather deal with the lousy text entry than call BMW every time I want to enter an address.

3. No work around for the busted mpg calculator

4. I have an ipod, so that doesn't help unless I want to dump it. Then I'm still not sure how I'm going to be digging through 20,000+ tracks of music efficiently through a artist/album hierarchy on a thumb drive...

5. TPMs. I'm not sure on the Nitrogen, you'd think it would still leak over time due to seals. Needs research, I'll look into it. May be a good suggestion, maybe not... need to see on this.

Quote:
Im now officially bored and have left the building.
Same, but in 15 min for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #73
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
PS. What was the thread about again?

PPS. On second thoughts, I dont care.
You cared enough to ask. And it's about gyroscopes.
Appreciate 0