BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

04-05-2022, 06:37 PM   #639
Orion94
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: E92 320d N47

If anybody here that bought the older model (P2000 / light) and doesn't want to upgrade, can I take your discount, pretty please? (PM me)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 04:23 AM   #640
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Huge thanks to tdott for this thread, excellent and very informative

Just something I'd like to add here having read this thread.
I see in the initial post that it's stated that you need to code CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc, well mine came with CDC Prep ($694) and I'd previously coded "+KMP3" into my VO when I did the headunit retrofit for the combined Bluetooth/USB control (prior to retrofitting full iDrive). Having checked my coding under CDMM_CHANGER_3 it still says cdc_vorbereitung, and yet the sound output is working fine.

So my question is... is it necessary to change the CDMM_CHANGER_3 setting or is it just as quick, if not quicker, to code "+KMP3" into the VO?

Well I have a customer coming to have his new Mr12volt fitted to his E89 in a weeks time so I'll see what happens on the coding side and get back to you all with my findings

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:36 PM   #641
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
If my iPhone is still paired to the car Bluetooth as well as mr12volt when I initiate a call from CarPlay it switches to the origional cic to make the call. This is good but switches screen away from CarPlay and maps etc. once the call ends it auto switches back to mr12volt, this is fine if you don’t use the phone often or make long calls.

Incoming calls auto switch to the cic phone page if the phone is still connected to the cars factory Bluetooth as well as MR12Volt.

I had mine setup like this for a while. I did disable usb audio for my iPhone in the CIC to ensure audio was always via CarPlay/mr12volt. For convenience I now only use carplay and Siri. So I no longer connect to car Bluetooth. I prefer this and no one complains about call quality via CarPlay with the supplied mic.
So, even though your phone is still connected to the factory Bluetooth, you are still able to get the Apple Carplay (or Android Auto) display on screen - the phone is connected to both at the same time? I wonder if I can do that with Android...

I have loads of music on my iPod (USB connection in centre armrest), plus loads on the car's hard drive, as well as loads on my Android phone.

I think I am going to have to do a major music re-organisation project...
      04-06-2022, 03:47 PM   #642
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
So, even though your phone is still connected to the factory Bluetooth, you are still able to get the Apple Carplay (or Android Auto) display on screen - the phone is connected to both at the same time? I wonder if I can do that with Android...

I have loads of music on my iPod (USB connection in centre armrest), plus loads on the car's hard drive, as well as loads on my Android phone.

I think I am going to have to do a major music re-organisation project...
Yes I can use the car Bluetooth as well as CarPlay. My iPhone 12 can connect to all at the same time.

Worth noting that when a call is being made from the factory setup you cannot see the CarPlay screen it auto switches to the factory phone screen in the idrive. Once the call is ended it auto switches back to mr12volt.

Factory phone Bluetooth is a Pain if you get a lot of calls and use google maps etc. Using CarPlay to make and receive calls worked out better for me as it retains google maps on the screen.

I’ve still got an iPod and music in the system but haven’t really used it since. only really use navigation, book and music apps on CarPlay now. So easy…
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #643
Sedicivalvole
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Looks like I will be ordering one of these - shame the discount is so low.

Guessing a lot of these will end up on ebay!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #644
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

When someone gets the new unit, can they report if the subwoofer/no bass issue is fixed on the new unit?
      04-13-2022, 10:13 PM   #645
finbarr.cnaipe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Convertible

Anybody know where the P2000 SW updates went?

Support downloads page only shows MCU updates now (from Jan).

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000...ftware-updates

Since I am upgrading my backup Camera with the unit from this thread, I thought I would go check to see if there were any SW or MCU updates since January....and found the SW updates portion pull from the page....

Finny
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 01:28 AM   #646
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr.cnaipe View Post
Anybody know where the P2000 SW updates went?

Support downloads page only shows MCU updates now (from Jan).

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000...ftware-updates

Since I am upgrading my backup Camera with the unit from this thread, I thought I would go check to see if there were any SW or MCU updates since January....and found the SW updates portion pull from the page....

Finny
They haven't ever released a software update, only firmware. I too noticed the software update section is gone, but the only thing ever listed there was the original release. I suspect they would re-add it if they found a need to issue a software update.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 05:55 AM   #647
Orion94
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: E92 320d N47

Looks like it takes some time to unlock PM's. Anyways I will just repete the message.
If anyone doesn't want to replace with the new unit, can I take your discount .

I found out about the box about 3-4 months ago, luckly with this forum, I found out about the Bass related issue and since I really love my lows in the music, I had to wait for this.

I'm curious what kind of microphone you can use also, I have one of those 3,5mm that i bought a while ago, is it usable with this? (I believe it should be a better quality than the one in the package)

Last edited by Orion94; 04-14-2022 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #648
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
OK thanks for that, much appreciated
So it turns out setting SVS to nicht_active just turns off Voice and does not enable "Hey Google" instead as nothing happened! I can access "Hey Google" though via the side screen bar, so that's OK.
This does work with Siri though as my customers was spot-on.

Quote:
Huge thanks to tdott for this thread, excellent and very informative

Just something I'd like to add here having read this thread.
I see in the initial post that it's stated that you need to code CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc, well mine came with CDC Prep ($694) and I'd previously coded "+KMP3" into my VO when I did the headunit retrofit for the combined Bluetooth/USB control (prior to retrofitting full iDrive). Having checked my coding under CDMM_CHANGER_3 it still says cdc_vorbereitung, and yet the sound output is working fine.

So my question is... is it necessary to change the CDMM_CHANGER_3 setting or is it just as quick, if not quicker, to code "+KMP3" into the VO?

Well I have a customer coming to have his new Mr12volt fitted to his E89 in a weeks time so I'll see what happens on the coding side and get back to you all with my findings
So on checking the CDMM_CHANGER_3 setting it turns out that the Mr12volt box changes this setting itself automatically, hence why mine was working out of the box, as was my customers as well.

So all good so far, apart from I've noticed that as my wife has an iPhone and I have a Samsung, it tends to like the iPhone more. So if it's been on CarPlay for her phone the next time I'm on my own it hangs for quite soem time before it'll connect to my Samsung. So I've overcome this by having mine on wired only, which is what I do anyway so it keeps it's charge while driving.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 12:37 PM   #649
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion94 View Post
L....

I'm curious what kind of microphone you can use also, I have one of those 3,5mm that i bought a while ago, is it usable with this? (I believe it should be a better quality than the one in the package)
EDIT** Whoops forgot to say, this is suitable for the E89, E93 etc, not sure on the connector for the other models. **

I've used the OE microphone. Made up a Y cable using BMW 3 pin Y adaptor and an AUX cable. Cut one end off the AUX cable and one of the Female ends off the BMW Y and soldered them up, heatshrunk and the cloth tapped them. Works perfectly
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
RUG8RB8146.00
      04-18-2022, 01:33 PM   #650
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Wait wait- you are saying the OEM microphone works with this splitter you made? You made a call from carplay directly, and the audio was fine on the other end?

If so- makes me wonder if the mic splitter cable we were all using has some sort of design flaw.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #651
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Managed to install my P2000 CIC, been sat here since October 2022.

Everything works, no lack of low bass or anything. Sounds fine. Used the provided mic and installed it in the spare slot opposite to the OEM mic. Sounds good on both ends too!

My only gripe is the way the PDC works. When i'm in reverse camera works fine, shows small overhead visual on the right but it mutes the audio. Going forward screen goes blank and I can't hear PDC when getting closer. Tried most of the settings and i'm just finding myself pressing 'menu' on the CIC controller to get visual on OEM PDC graphic display. In doing this in reverse though I can't see camera since its aftermarket item.

No such issues with my previous Carsara box.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #652
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

So on checking the CDMM_CHANGER_3 setting it turns out that the Mr12volt box changes this setting itself automatically, hence why mine was working out of the box, as was my customers as well.
This is how it is suppose to work, but for some of us in the initial batch it was not automatically coded and we did the coding ourselves to get it to work. Perhaps that has since been fixed and is working now.

Quote:
I've used the OE microphone. Made up a Y cable using BMW 3 pin Y adaptor and an AUX cable. Cut one end off the AUX cable and one of the Female ends off the BMW Y and soldered them up, heatshrunk and the cloth tapped them. Works perfectly
Where are you tapping into the mic wires? That doesn't look long enough to goto the roof, are you doing it behind the head unit or something?

Last edited by tdott; 04-18-2022 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #653
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornM View Post
My only gripe is the way the PDC works. When i'm in reverse camera works fine, shows small overhead visual on the right but it mutes the audio. Going forward screen goes blank and I can't hear PDC when getting closer. Tried most of the settings and i'm just finding myself pressing 'menu' on the CIC controller to get visual on OEM PDC graphic display. In doing this in reverse though I can't see camera since its aftermarket item.

Check the settings for front camera, when you go back into a forward gear it might think you have a front camera which is why you see the blank screen if one isn't connected. There is a setting to tell it you have no front camera.

Does your car have front PDC?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 02:50 PM   #654
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Check the settings for front camera, when you go back into a forward gear it might think you have a front camera which is why you see the blank screen if one isn't connected. There is a setting to tell it you have no front camera.

Does your car have front PDC?
Pretty sure I tried front camera in both settings and didn't get the desired result.

Yes car has PDC front/rear.

Last edited by UnicornM; 04-19-2022 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 12:40 PM   #655
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Wait wait- you are saying the OEM microphone works with this splitter you made? You made a call from carplay directly, and the audio was fine on the other end?

If so- makes me wonder if the mic splitter cable we were all using has some sort of design flaw.
Well it's not perfect audio the other end, but adequate. I'm going to do some more testing while driving to see what happens. But Google Assistant (Hey Google) picks up my voice and understands it perfectly.
EDIT** I'm going to disconnect the OE microphone from the car loom to see if it improves the audio. You can fit 2 microphones in this cowling so if this works then that could be an option for anyone. I'll feedback once I've tested that.

Quote:
This is how it is suppose to work, but for some of us in the initial batch it was not automatically coded and we did the coding ourselves to get it to work. Perhaps that has since been fixed and is working now.
As I thought I'd read here somewhere

Quote:
Where are you tapping into the mic wires? That doesn't look long enough to goto the roof, are you doing it behind the head unit or something?
The shortness is due to it being fitted to my E89.
The E82, 84, 88, 89, 92 (facelift) and 93 all had the microphone located on the top of the steering column, so no long cable is required, so it's connected directly to the mic connector on the steering column.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tdott4036.00
      04-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #656
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

Placed my order today, hoping to have bass again!
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6748.00
      04-20-2022, 05:36 AM   #657
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Took the plunge on the new P2000MD especially with the $100 discount.

I really don't need to since I'll have a full blown DSP via MOST in the vehicle soon. But eh I like to keep things upto date
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #658
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Routing the reversing camera video cable

Has anyone tried routing the video cable from their reversing camera, down the centre line of the car, inside the the centre console trim, rather than taking the longer route along the side of the car, under the door aperture trim, etc?

It is a much shorter route, and seems simpler to me, but maybe I am missing a pitfall somewhere?
      04-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #659
Raphc
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Has anyone tried routing the video cable from their reversing camera, down the centre line of the car, inside the the centre console trim, rather than taking the longer route along the side of the car, under the door aperture trim, etc?

It is a much shorter route, and seems simpler to me, but maybe I am missing a pitfall somewhere?
I had the same thought as you and ended up routing the cable through the middle of the car.
I didnt run into any issue, there is loads of space and only one or two tight spots to keep the routing clean.

Here are the steps i took:
From cemera to boot is obviously the same, and frankly the only challenging part is getting the cable fed through thhat grommet/rubber channel thing. Light oil/soap and a coat hanger is the way to go.

- Run the cable under the boot/trunk liner
- Remove (just yank it out) the rear seat bottom.
- Run cable under seat liner.
- Loosen or remove centre console. You dont need to remove it but it makes this much easier. (Loads of DIYs out there for this)
Run cable from under seat liner to under the main carpet and have it pop out through the hole under centre console. This is the tight part as the carpet is really tight fitting.
-Once here just follow all the other cables to the dash. Easy peasy.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 12:39 PM   #660
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphc View Post
I had the same thought as you and ended up routing the cable through the middle of the car.
I didnt run into any issue, there is loads of space and only one or two tight spots to keep the routing clean.

Here are the steps i took:
From cemera to boot is obviously the same, and frankly the only challenging part is getting the cable fed through thhat grommet/rubber channel thing. Light oil/soap and a coat hanger is the way to go.

- Run the cable under the boot/trunk liner
- Remove (just yank it out) the rear seat bottom.
- Run cable under seat liner.
- Loosen or remove centre console. You dont need to remove it but it makes this much easier. (Loads of DIYs out there for this)
Run cable from under seat liner to under the main carpet and have it pop out through the hole under centre console. This is the tight part as the carpet is really tight fitting.
-Once here just follow all the other cables to the dash. Easy peasy.

Many thanks for confirming - I will take a look at the centre console DIYs.

I fitted the camera yesterday, but did not get as far as routing the video cable. And good news (big relief) it opens OK.

On the camera/bootlid handle itself, I think I might buy another example as the fit of this one in the aperture is not good. Even when carefully inserting the forward face of the handle, then rotating/pushing the opposite side upwards as hard as I dare, the left side of the handle sits 2 or 3 mm clear of the metal, which will bug me even if I can't see it, as I will just think about water ingress when jet washing.

The locating channel on the forward internal face of the handle (bottom as you look, with the lid open) is really narrow, and I think this is causing it to be too tight on the opposite face.

At least if I have a 2nd example I can have a go at fettling with a file, or something.

Oh, and BMW's painting of boot lids sucks (some corrosion around the aperture that I need to fix).

And there was no plastic cover for the internal aperture around the stiffening beams, which other people have had to remove for access.

Just not there on mine - and I have had it from new.