BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

07-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #45
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_l_EQxDQ27o

Here is a much better break down of this track by Tony Kanaan. You can really see how fast this road coarse is
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #46
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSAB1 View Post
I've been going to the Glen for years and beyond love it. I just get nuts when guys say crazy numbers. Don't mind me. I shouldn't have even said anything. Lol. Your car sounds nice. I run all stock except pads and tires. Going to Glen in October with friends e92 as well. Supercharged and totally worked to the max. It should break 2 min. On paper it is capable. My car all stock runs 2:13-2:14. Our e36 gtr runs 2:06's all day. Njmp next week for us. I will throw up some updates. The supercharged M3 is going as well. Will be fun.
I believe that a stock E9x M3 is capable of running of running in the 2.10's on good slicks in temps that are quite a bit lower than we are seeing now.I ran 2.15's in my car with NT05's and a BBK and I am pretty sure there was something left on the table to go quicker.Here is a video of just going out with a passenger to have some fun!

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #47
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Just signed up for the sep 21-22 CCA event at the Glen...super excited, can't wait and these videos will be memorized by then
I'm registered for the sept 21-22 event as well. I'll look for ya.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #48
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Glad you're doing it. Have a great time! Before my first time at the Glen, I watched a video called "Speed Secrets at the Glen," narrated by Brock Yates. It was actually very very helpful. I watched it three or four times and really felt like I had a basic handle on the track as I arrived. Here's a link: http://www.kollins.com/speedsecrets/...20Brochure.pdf
Thank you so much for the link, will definitely be looking into it. Can't wait to get out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
I'm registered for the sept 21-22 event as well. I'll look for ya.
I'll be in the gray 4 door with Illinois plates
      07-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
lutfy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, Land Rover Defender P3

Quote:
I've been going to the Glen for years and beyond love it. I just get nuts when guys say crazy numbers. Don't mind me. I shouldn't have even said anything. Lol. Your car sounds nice. I run all stock except pads and tires. Going to Glen in October with friends e92 as well. Supercharged and totally worked to the max. It should break 2 min. On paper it is capable. My car all stock runs 2:13-2:14. Our e36 gtr runs 2:06's all day. Njmp next week for us. I will throw up some updates. The supercharged M3 is going as well. Will be fun.
Ike Nelson runs 2:12-13 stock at the Glen so that is certainly doable. I somehow couldn't break past 2:15 (I Group). DSC off. I did feel that a) I needed more camber up front (this is now fixed). Although it now leads to a looser rear both mid speed sweeper and putting all the power down. 295s at the back. How the hell are you burning Pagid yellows each weekend? If that's the case, BBK it is for me. I burnt through PF01 in 5 sessions (sunday half way was done). PF08s last me a full weekend and has 1/3 left. This is NOT GOOD. New Pagid Yellows to be tested at Summit on the 27th.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #50
OSAB1
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
Quote:
Ike Nelson runs 2:12-13 stock at the Glen so that is certainly doable. I somehow couldn't break past 2:15 (I Group). DSC off. I did feel that a) I needed more camber up front (this is now fixed). Although it now leads to a looser rear both mid speed sweeper and putting all the power down. 295s at the back. How the hell are you burning Pagid yellows each weekend? If that's the case, BBK it is for me. I burnt through PF01 in 5 sessions (sunday half way was done). PF08s last me a full weekend and has 1/3 left. This is NOT GOOD. New Pagid Yellows to be tested at Summit on the 27th.

Lutfy
Ike is awesome. We have his old GTR!!!! He ran 2:10's last time I was at glen with him and group 52. E90, pads, square set up, some suspension. E90/92 is very capable of these times. Pagid yellows at glen are good for two days and done!!!!! I stay out a little long and have no cooling ducts. My set up is very stock. Except square setup and pads. I will let you k ow how pagoda do a njmp. Leave tonight
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #51
OSAB1
Banned
Rep

E92/90's need big brake kit to run hard and fast. It's too heavy and you will melt rotors and pads. Cooling ducts will help, but not much. I have gone through rotors and calipers. It's my street car and haven't made the jump to spend the big bucks on a kit. Car needs new rotors and pads after every two day event at VIR and Glen.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #52
OSAB1
Banned
Rep

Nice video. The time is in the car for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #53
arter
cruising
Rep
Drives: xdrive45e

Quote:
E92/90's need big brake kit to run hard and fast. It's too heavy and you will melt rotors and pads. Cooling ducts will help, but not much. I have gone through rotors and calipers. It's my street car and haven't made the jump to spend the big bucks on a kit. Car needs new rotors and pads after every two day event at VIR and Glen.

My god, I must drive like a granny.
I get ~10 track days out of a front set of pagid yellows, got 25 days out of my first set of front rotors, and 12 days out of a set of NT-01's.

Do the Glen in 2:17 and VIR in about the same time and yeah, I could go faster, just have to work up to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #54
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Well done bro, great driving, and awesome you got to the Glen! Love that track, really worth the drive and effort to get there.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #55
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
I leave MDM on just for it to be there. Not racing, just having fun. I like to be able to drive the car home instead of on a flatbed .
2:13 on stock car with square slick set up is possible. I've done mid 2:17s on MPSS tires with camber plates and BBK (no power mods), and I was not going full throttle up the S-es and was braking early everywhere because of brake failure during the first session, plus few other mistakes I saw on datalogs. So a better driver should be able to get into low 2:15 in stock car with street tires. Sleeks easily take away 3-4 seconds on such a track, if not more, because of all the high-speed turns where being able to get just extra few tenth of a G translates into a lot of extra momentum at the exit and speed on the following straight. So 2:10s should be possible for a very good driver in a close to stock car on good sleeks. I'd still want to see a video of that, not really as proof but rather as a learning tool. I have not seen M3s doing less than 2:15 in any videos

What I do not understand is how can you use MDM with a square set up. When I push hard with MDM at WGI, even with Euro MDM, it kicks in too much - cuts throttle in S-es, stops desirable rotation in toe and that of-camber left-hander that I always screw up, plus it burns through brake pads like crazy, particularly inside rear and outside front... It's just a bit frustrating to run MDM at WGI when driving fast, particularly with times like that. I'd rather just leave more safety margin. I'm pretty sure it's even worse with square set up because tire proportions are off. Or does it behave better with sleeks?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
OSAB1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL
Quote:
I leave MDM on just for it to be there. Not racing, just having fun. I like to be able to drive the car home instead of on a flatbed .
2:13 on stock car with square slick set up is possible. I've done mid 2:17s on MPSS tires with camber plates and BBK (no power mods), and I was not going full throttle up the S-es and was braking early everywhere because of brake failure during the first session, plus few other mistakes I saw on datalogs. So a better driver should be able to get into low 2:15 in stock car with street tires. Sleeks easily take away 3-4 seconds on such a track, if not more, because of all the high-speed turns where being able to get just extra few tenth of a G translates into a lot of extra momentum at the exit and speed on the following straight. So 2:10s should be possible for a very good driver in a close to stock car on good sleeks. I'd still want to see a video of that, not really as proof but rather as a learning tool. I have not seen M3s doing less than 2:15 in any videos

What I do not understand is how can you use MDM with a square set up. When I push hard with MDM at WGI, even with Euro MDM, it kicks in too much - cuts throttle in S-es, stops desirable rotation in toe and that of-camber left-hander that I always screw up, plus it burns through brake pads like crazy, particularly inside rear and outside front... It's just a bit frustrating to run MDM at WGI when driving fast, particularly with times like that. I'd rather just leave more safety margin. I'm pretty sure it's even worse with square set up because tire proportions are off. Or does it behave better with sleeks?
Car is fantastic with the slicks and square set up. Mdm is full on through S's, comes on at 7, and again at 11. Ike runs no mdm and is 2:10's no problem. 2:13's are not every lap. Stock brake rotors get very overheated so there are more 2:15's than 13's, but the time is there. I have tons of go pro and some video from iPhone app. Best thing to do is come to a group 52 event at the glen. I am more than happy to take anyone out for some rides. My friends older e92 modded ran 2:08's all day at glen. This new one now has supercharger, it will break 2 min. I will be back in sept and October and will be using Harry's lap timer app, I will see if I can figure out how to post some stuff. April I ran VIR with non square set up and was running 2:16's until cup's began to melt!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #57
OSAB1
Banned
Rep

Lap times are fun but not most important. What is important is to have fun and come home safe. Seat time, humility, and training will bring speed. I suggest hiring private coaching for next event. You can spend all you want on the car and never gain anything. Two sessions with a pro instructor and I promise you lap times will drop. Will be the best money you ever spend. There is always a faster guy, why not learn from them??!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #58
lutfy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, Land Rover Defender P3

Quote:
I burnt through a set of Pagid yellows to the plate in 2 days at Summit Point. No hope! However, I am convinced there is a solution (see below). Am going el cheapo with HT70s each time now until the rotors give up the ghost.

Time for a custom 2 piece heat treated no drama (slots or drills) blank rotors for the stock calipers from Coleman Racing. Cheaper than PF Direct Drive. I ran that setup on my STi and it cured all issues of rotor cracking (these are heat treated). Its the freaking cross drill which acts like cheese graters eating up the pads too. I ran cross drilled ONCE on my E36 and went through a set of pads in one weekend.

Also the car needs bigger tires (I cannot put the power down enough) so will upgrade to 295s with 10inch wide wheels or go big with 11 inch wheels and 305s (275 with 10inch up front).

Need solution for brakes. If that does not work, then Stoptech ST60 it is.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #59
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [6.33]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [6.83]
2013 BMW 328i  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
I burnt through a set of Pagid yellows to the plate in 2 days at Summit Point. No hope! However, I am convinced there is a solution (see below). Am going el cheapo with HT70s each time now until the rotors give up the ghost.

Time for a custom 2 piece heat treated no drama (slots or drills) blank rotors for the stock calipers from Coleman Racing. Cheaper than PF Direct Drive. I ran that setup on my STi and it cured all issues of rotor cracking (these are heat treated). Its the freaking cross drill which acts like cheese graters eating up the pads too. I ran cross drilled ONCE on my E36 and went through a set of pads in one weekend.

Also the car needs bigger tires (I cannot put the power down enough) so will upgrade to 295s with 10inch wide wheels or go big with 11 inch wheels and 305s (275 with 10inch up front).

Need solution for brakes. If that does not work, then Stoptech ST60 it is.

Lutfy
I do agree that the brakes are an excellent upgrade but not primarily for heat or pad longevity (although that is a huge benefit). You get a massive handling improvement because the brakes are much easier to modulate and are more linear since you eliminate the squirm in the OE sliders. The squirm is what I think causes the on/off feeling which makes the brakes hard to just brush a little speed off and trailbrake with.

Rethink taking a late apex on turns at some point because that's what really beats up your brakes. Yes, you can be fast with a late apex but you are really relying on the front tires to do all of the turning. You can really drive the car with lots of slip and some slide and an earlier turn in. The E9X M3 loves to be steered with the rear wheels and the throttle. Make sure you are comfortable sliding the car and are smooth on all of the controls first before doing this. But if you think about it...the less brake you use...the faster you go. Its all about managing the grip.

Then you'll have to deal with a large tire bill instead of a large brake bill

Also think about lengthening your braking zones using less pressure. This will be a little easier on the brakes and balances the car better at turn in. Most E9X M3 drivers throw out the boat anchor and don't have a lot of grip on the rear axle when turning in...which is precisely the time you DO want grip on the rear axle. Less weight transfer = more overall grip.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0