BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #45
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Sorry to spam, but I had one other thought I wanted to share.

I have started to notice that the line that separates sports car from a GT isn't as grey as I had originally thought. Au contraire, the line is quite bold and never quite as evident as when driving such a wide variety of cars in such a short period of time.

Cars like the Corvette are just so different from cars like the Mustang. I think it is very interesting that engineers can design cars that look so much alike on paper in terms of specs but once on the road they just go about their business in such a different manner. The Corvette is just so low to the ground and all business where the M3/Mustang (I have never driven two cars that are so much alike, btw) make such huge concessions to comfort and daily-driveability it is astonishing how well they perform. It simply cannot be overstated how high off the ground an M3 feels after driving a Corvette - it's like you're rolling around in a 4x4.

A guy like me....I want it all. And the longer I continue my car search the more I realize that perhaps the solution for me isn't "one car that can do it all"....because such a car simply does not exist. I would have to say that out of all the cars that I have driven, the Lancer Evo comes the closest to being smack in the middle of sports car<--->GT. But that car is not for me so I think I might need to start considering a two-car solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #46
BMWMFAN27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 IB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
it is very encouraging to hear positive/honest opinions about the new m3 from 911 s owners.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #47
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
I will have to be honest, I was somewhat disappointed with the limited amount of space in the Cayman. I'm not a giant by any means (6'2") but I found myself wishing that I could push that seat back another inch or so. The seat position is extremely vertical. Now, I am by no means one of those guys who likes to drive around with the seat cranked way back, but I was sitting almost entirely upright in the Cayman. That said, there is a huge amount of headroom - I could easily have worn a helmet.

Nearly as troubling was the claustrophobia. Things are a little cramped in there, and it reminded me a lot of my 350Z interior in terms of space. The Corvette, in comparison, has much more breathing space inside. Speaking of the Corvette, the Cayman has a very similar "feel" to it sitting in the car - we are quite squarely in the "sports car" realm here. The seating position is absolutely on the floor and the only thing you can see out the front are the two bulges over the front wheels.

But, I did fall in love with the way things were laid out. Lack of any true cupholders sucks (there are two that are barely wide enough to hold a water bottle), but the quality of the interior is just miles away nicer than the Corvette or 350Z.

My biggest mistake of the day was sitting myself in the '08 911 Carrera next to the Cayman. Let's just say that if the 911 drives half as nice as looks and feels on the inside, I'm going to have to buy one. Much spacier, tons more legroom, a dramatic increase in interior quality. I would say it is similar to a 1 series vs 3 series interior.

After sitting in the 911, I am starting to wonder if I need to be targeting a 911 Carrera base instead of the Cayman S. I'm always worried about buying base model cars, though.

I'll make another update after I drive the Cayman (and possibly) base Carrera on Saturday.
Yes, the Cayman is much smaller inside than the 911. I'm about 6'1", 170, and I found the seating very acceptable. And the leg/knee room, which can feel a bit cramped in street driving, was great for me on track. If you have the opportunity to drive the Cayman S and 997S near their limits, you will find the Cayman the more neutral, more forgiving car, requiring less transition if you are coming from a conventional front engine/rear drive layout. No question, the 911 platform offers more utility of inside space and, like you, many folks feel cramped in the Cayman. As for base model 911, I would not, but that's just me. The extra hp and brakes are worth the difference, to me. I'd buy a used 997S rather than a new base 997. I went to the extreme, and bought a 5 year old 996 GT3 rather than another 997, and was very pleased with the car, although many people would find it unacceptable for frequent street use. Have fun shopping!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #48
grizzy727
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 x5, 23 q3, 18 JLU, 04 911

Yes def buy used- although a new car is great -the 911 at 80k+ depreciates so fast its just not worth it.
Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #49
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

actually OP you remind me of my experience sitting in the z4mc about 2 years ago. if the cayman space is anything like the z4mc, I would never get a car like that. i felt extremely cramped in the z4mc and I'm not a big guy by anymean (5.11"/180lbs). it felt like i didn't have enough leg room even if i move the seat all the way back and the feeling low/tight in the cabin is not pleasant for me. can't imagine sitting in that tight spot for more than 30 mins drive. felt like trapped in and couldn't breath. hate car that i have to sit too much up right as well.

i feel much more comfortable in the m3 btw, ton of room everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #50
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I guess I was making more of a point that no matter how much you read or research, the big picture/whole story cannot be told unless experiencing one for yourself.
Before I bought my cayman S...i had heard it was quick, responsive, and probably the best handling car ever made...but no matter how much praise and the fact that it won best drivers car two years in a row couldnt even begin to describe the precision and perfection the car is. Other than adding more power to be a world beater, it is one of the best sports car ever produced. Thats not to say its the best option for someone who has a family and needs to fit 4 people, but you just cant really experience a car without driving it.
Very good points and I think people overstate how much practicality they really need. Most M3 owners I've met seem to use the backseat "rarely". I know you can't rarely use the backseat in a Cayman, but still, it isn't that hard to use the other car in the garage instead of the Cayman on those rare days when you need to haul 4 people uncomfortably (as they would be, in the small seating area of an M3 backseat with normal sized adult people in the front seats).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #51
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Coming from a 2007 335i coupe that was modded (JB3 map 3) the two cars on my list were the 2010 M3 DCT coupe and the 2009 Cayman S PDK. To the OP, I believe you need to test drive a 2009+ Cayman S for a true comparison to the other cars on your list.

Understand that my Cayman S is not my DD so bear that in mind why I chose it over the M3. Also, the lease rates on the M3 were horrible; my monthly payments on my Cayman S are over $200 less per month than the M3 lease quote I received.

I am 6' 3" and 210 pounds and it is a tight fit - If I was another inch taller I would be in trouble. The PDK transmission is great and my Remus exhaust deletes the second set of cats so the Cayman feels quick. It does not have the raw power of my modded 335i but its not bad. No comparison on the handling though.

It would have been a tough decision had the lease rates been better on the M3 but again since it is not my daily driver, I felt the Cayman S was a good choice.

I seriously believe I would have to step up to a 997.2 Carrera S PDK to feel a nice upgrade but at $115k, it becomes hard to pass the WAF.

Good luck - It is hard to go wrong with either car!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #52
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

OP, I would go with a Cayman S w/ PDK over the M3. The M3 is too much like the 335i...get a 2 seater sports car. I would avoid the Corvettes and Mustangs unless you are strictly in it for the performance. They are all great cars and I can understand any of them being picked over the other, but that Cayman is really special...I didn't believe it til I drove it myself. The handling is ridiculous lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #53
CORTDD
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I don't think there is any question that compared to the M3, the Cayman S (2009+) is the sportier car, but be careful what you ask for. The Cayman S interior is noisier, smaller, and less well equipped than the M3. The Cayman S experience is more "raw" than the M3's. Your passenger girlfriend will much prefer the M3 to the Cayman S. The M3 is more of a GT car than the Cayman S. The M3's balance of drivability and performance is hard to beat. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #54
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORTDD View Post
I don't think there is any question that compared to the M3, the Cayman S (2009+) is the sportier car, but be careful what you ask for. The Cayman S interior is noisier, smaller, and less well equipped than the M3. The Cayman S experience is more "raw" than the M3's. Your passenger girlfriend will much prefer the M3 to the Cayman S. The M3 is more of a GT car than the Cayman S. The M3's balance of drivability and performance is hard to beat. Good luck.
I agree 100%. I owned a CaymanS and what you have stated is dead on correct. It is indeed noisey in the cabin, very small/tight fit (headroom is fine though) Having said that, the CaymanS handles like no other car I've ever driven. It's a refined kind of "raw"... if that makes sense I think the CaymanS makes for a great weekend car; no way would I want one as a DD....although surprisingly it has more cargo area than the 911.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #55
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

OP here again.

Well, I finally had a chance to drive the Cayman (non-S, 5-speed). Just as I had expected, the car handled like a dream; all the colorful metaphors for the way that car feels on the road are spot on. It is unquestionably the truest sports car I have ever driven and the 2.7 engine wasn't as limp as I had expected.

As in the first time I sat in the car, I felt claustrophobic despite the fact I could not figure out *why* I felt uncomfortable. (I am 6'2, 180lbs, 36 years old with a fairly athletic build for what it is worth) The seating position and the way my hands fell naturally on the shifter and the steering wheel were just about perfect. However, I just felt that not being able to scoot that seat back even one or two inches to be entirely annoying and was a constant nag in the back of my mind.

As soon as I started driving the car my mind seemed less concerned with the claustrophobia but as soon as I would come to a stop that nag would pop back into my conscience again. The Cayman forums are full of guys who are much taller and heavier than I am and they seem completely happy in the Cayman cockpit. But after spending 30 minutes with the car I believe that I simply cannot purchase something that makes me feel uneasy.

So the Cayman is out.

That said, it did make me wonder about the 911 Carrera. There is a maddening lack of information on the web in regards to the 911 Carrera vs. Carrera S. I cannot seem to find a substantive, objective comparison of the two cars. Yes, I know the S is faster and has more options come as standard, but is that it? Also, and I admit this sounds silly, I am concerned with buying the "base" car when it comes to resale. The price between the two cars on the used car market is enormous.

One thing keeping me from even considering the 911 is the fact that it is quite a fancy car. I work at a large company and many of the higher-ups have nice cars but only one executive has anything close as nice (997.2 cabriolet). If some peon like myself rolls in with a 997.1 I am just concerned that I will look like a gigantic tool. This is something I wouldn't worry about with any of the other cars I've test-driven.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #56
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
OP here again.
So the Cayman is out.

One thing keeping me from even considering the 911 is the fact that it is quite a fancy car. I work at a large company and many of the higher-ups have nice cars but only one executive has anything close as nice (997.2 cabriolet). If some peon like myself rolls in with a 997.1 I am just concerned that I will look like a gigantic tool. This is something I wouldn't worry about with any of the other cars I've test-driven.
Haha buy used and maybe they'll turn their nose back up at ya. You're right though, base Carrera's have a steeper depreciation than the S.

I might suggest if you're still in limbo and willing to look at the 2011 GT500, take a look at it. The 2011 has performance package, aluminum block dropping 120lbs off the nose, and new suspension upgrade that makes the thing handle very well, and comes with Supercar G2 tires made specifically for it. I'm thinking about selling my 500 for a new one. The interior is roomy and comes with a short throw 6MT. It's a wicked car with a back seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #57
737Drvr
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3

Just a thought to the OP. I agree with Scoobe on the new GT500. But if American metal is not in the cards, consider buying a used (maybe CPO'd) Porsche. I don't recall your budget but here are some ideas. It sounds like you want a reasonably fast car that handles well. A 997 GT3 fits that bill very well!
Yes, the ride is a little harsher, the car a little bit nosier like the Cayman, but a great machine. I had an 07 and miss it quite a bit. These things are bullet proof (as are most Porsche's) and can be driven daily, although most owners do not use them for that. A nice example will run you in the 80's. If the ride is too harsh or the car too hard core, a 997 turbo isn't a bad choice either. Great DD, very quick, and they handle fairly well. These are a little less expensive than the GT3's as more were produced. Beyond that, you could probably buy a very nice CPO'd 911S (06-08) for what a new M3 or Cayman costs. And to me, the extra HP on the S is worth the cost--especially used. Good Luck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #58
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
These are a little less expensive than the GT3's as more were produced. Beyond that, you could probably buy a very nice CPO'd 911S (06-08) for what a new M3 or Cayman costs. And to me, the extra HP on the S is worth the cost--especially used. Good Luck in your search.
A GT3. Man, don't I wish. LOL

Unfortunately, my budget is < or = $50k which puts most of the cars you've mentioned out of reach. All the cars I have mentioned in this thread have been used cars, exception being the '11 Mustang GT.

I am certainly not opposed to American cars but for me, the Mustang GT is good enough and I don't think I'd want to spend the extra for the GT500.

I do agree that the 911S is probably the best solution. But, unfortunately, it's just a bit out of my budget. It won't take me long to save up some extra cash to keep my loan payments in check on a 911S but I just wonder if I would feel too self-conscious driving a car that nice at my age (36). It's more of something I can look forward to later in life? Does that even make any sense to anybody but myself? Probably not! I know there are a lot of younger guys on this forum who drive cars far nicer than I'll ever own...

I can spend more than $50k, I just don't want to. I think even working with this budget there is a huge amount of great cars to be had.

At this point I think I have to eliminate the Corvettes due to the fact that winters here are brutal and I don't want to be bothered with getting a winter beater. From there, my first reaction is to go for a used M3 in the $45k range: it is probably the best one-car solution for a guy like me.

But when I consider a used M3, I almost feel obligated to consider the new Mustang GT which can be had for so much less, *brand new*, and optioned the way I want. But do I want a Mustang? With that car I'll have to worry about resale value as I am someone who doesn't typically keep cars for more than 2 years, max.

Leasing is starting to become more appealing to me as I contemplate just biding my time until the new M3 is out and/or I can get myself into a low-mileage, CPO'd 911 S.

Last edited by DefBringer; 08-30-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #59
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
. I'd buy a used 997S rather than a new base 997.
I don't know if I would recommend that if you are looking at 997.1S car vs the 997.2 standard C2. The .2 "base" car only has 10 fewer ponies than the .1 S car. Also, the .2 C2 got upgraded brakes (upgraded over the .1 standard C2 brakes), LED tails and DRLs, better PCM and other upgrades. Now if we are comparing a slightly used 997.2 C2S/C4S against a brand new "base" C2 then I would definitely favor the used S car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #60
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
I do agree that the 911S is probably the best solution. But, unfortunately, it's just a bit out of my budget. It won't take me long to save up some extra cash to keep my loan payments in check on a 911S but I just wonder if I would feel too self-conscious driving a car that nice at my age (36). It's more of something I can look forward to later in life? Does that even make any sense to anybody but myself? Probably not! I know there are a lot of younger guys on this forum who drive cars far nicer than I'll ever own...
I'm 35 and just picked up a 2009 C2S. I don't feel like I've short changed myself by not waiting longer to buy one. I have worked hard to put myself in this position and have no regrets. I feel blessed to get to drive one of my dream cars and I savor every minute of it because I haven't a clue what the future holds.

Last edited by Cabinetman; 08-31-2010 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #61
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

OP, i see no other car fits you better than an e9x m3. it does everything well, fits pretty much anything, better dd than the porsche, and fit your current budget.

Quote:
A GT3. Man, don't I wish. LOL

Unfortunately, my budget is < or = $50k which puts most of the cars you've mentioned out of reach. All the cars I have mentioned in this thread have been used cars, exception being the '11 Mustang GT.

I am certainly not opposed to American cars but for me, the Mustang GT is good enough and I don't think I'd want to spend the extra for the GT500.

I can spend more than $50k, I just don't want to. I think even working with this budget there is a huge amount of great cars to be had.

At this point I think I have to eliminate the Corvettes due to the fact that winters here are brutal and I don't want to be bothered with getting a winter beater. From there, my first reaction is to go for a used M3 in the $45k range: it is probably the best one-car solution for a guy like me.

But when I consider a used M3, I almost feel obligated to consider the new Mustang GT which can be had for so much less, *brand new*, and optioned the way I want. But do I want a Mustang? With that car I'll have to worry about resale value as I am someone who doesn't typically keep cars for more than 2 years, max.

Leasing is starting to become more appealing to me as I contemplate just biding my time until the new M3 is out and/or I can get myself into a low-mileage, CPO'd 911 S.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #62
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

I think I've seen 2 or 3 people mention 36 being too old for an STI or EVO. I say you are only as old as you feel. 08 STI and just hit 40! Although the kids with the sideways hats giving me the thumbs up is annoying, at least they are friendly I suppose.

Now having said that I'll be looking at an M3 sedan next but that is mostly due to wanting refinement without sacrificing fun/performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #63
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Recently drove a MT Cayman, was expecting it to be underpowered compared to my stock 335i (AT), but they had no Cayman-S to try.
The P-car feels so much quicker and more responsive than my 335. Granted, it won't have the straight-line acceleration of the 335, but it in no way felt underpowered. The overall experience is just so much different, it's hard to explain unless you drive one.
They have some good lease deals on leftover 2010's, if your just planning on turning it in after 3 years, who cares if it's not the latest model. I've been considering a CPO Cayman-S or base Cayman, but unless you keep it for a long time or sell it privately, your going to get killed on a trade anyway, so to me it makes more sense to lease a new one. Just have to stay away from options as they add up quickly.
I'm only 5'7'' so the cabin space was not a problem and we have other cars if I need a back seat.
Also considering a 135i just to get the DCT transmission, I can't see buying a 335is, since I have no plans to track a car and doesn't seem worth it just for a few HP and DCT availability.
The PDK is such an expensive option in the Cayman, even though I drive in traffic, the MT was so easy to drive, I don't think it would be a problem and I have missed how much more involving a MT is.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #64
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure anybody cares, but thought I would provide some closure to this thread.

After narrowing down my choices to the 335is w/ DCT and the Ford Mustang I ultimately ended up getting the Mustang.

-I had to nix the Cayman due to the fact it just felt too small on the inside.
-The Corvettes were great but would require a 2nd car as a daily driver and I didn't want to have 3 cars in a house with only 2 garages. But we're moving in a few years...
-The 335is with DCT is just a dream as a daily driver but I wanted something a little more athletic and raw
-I know the M3 is a great car but it's just not for me. I have incredibly high hopes for the next turbo iteration of the car, however.

The Mustang will fill a nice 2 year gap until the F30 M3 hits. From there I'll shop it against early 997 911 Turbos and make a decision.

I went with the Mustang because it's combination of easy daily-driverability, Ford's excellent support of mods (Ford markets a suspension kit including springs, more aggressive dampers, and some other bits for $395. Yes, $395. And it preserves factory warranty.), and a truly world-class engine. With some of these suspension mods I hope to be 9/10ths of what BMW has baked into its M3. And for ~$30k less I can deal with the ugly ass-end of the car. But no, it's not a M3 and I'm ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #65
Brosef
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

nice write up. congrats and enjoy the new ride. any pics? what color?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #66
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
nice write up. congrats and enjoy the new ride. any pics? what color?
I went with Kona Blue, 6 speed, HID, Comfort Pkg (like Cold Package), and of course, Brembo Package.

After a few weeks with my car I've decided that I can't tolerate the ridiculous wheel gap. I've ordered a set of Koni yellow shocks and Steeda springs which are highly recommended by the SCCA guys. It is supposed to offer a more "European/M3" type ride with much better damping than the stock shocks (which aren't bad by any means, but I'm anal about these things).

As soon as I get this suspension put on I'll post some pictures. Still not nearly as pretty as an M3, I must confess.
Appreciate 0