BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-15-2015, 02:37 AM   #419
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
I'm down for a set. Will any recommendations be made as to which rod bolts and oil to use with these bearings as well?
Interested in knowing this as well
I already answered this in a previous post, in fact it is quoted in the post above your's if you want to take another look.
      10-15-2015, 02:40 AM   #420
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep

Hello all, a group buy will be announced on these bearings in a few days. Also, if you would like further information, please visit http://www.bebearings.com
      10-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #421
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Hello all, a group buy will be announced on these bearings in a few days. Also, if you would like further information, please visit http://www.bebearings.com
In for the group buy...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #422
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Will the group buy consist of the custom Clevite bearings and OEM rod bolts (they were the ones specified to be used with the new bearings last I heard)?
      10-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #423
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle
Will the group buy consist of the custom Clevite bearings and OEM rod bolts (they were the ones specified to be used with the new bearings last I heard)?
Good question, would like to know this as well. My warranty ending this month and looking to replace for peace of mind since I opted out of any extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #424
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Please be patient, the bearings are now being measured for actual thickness and binned. After they are all binned Kawasaki is going to perform some testing at his shop to verify that the bearings meet the specs that were ordered.

The main goal with this project is to provide a quality product that comes with installation, hardware and oil viscosity recommendations. The goal is not to rush the bearings to market and compromise the final product.
Thanks. Same question as the other poster above though, is this going to be a one time thing or there will be ongoing production after this point?
Additional production will be done as required. The first run is 125 sets of 16 shells (S65) or 100 sets of 20 shells (S85). The first run would have to be nearly all sold before additional production would be completed.
I'm down for a set. Will any recommendations be made as to which rod bolts and oil to use with these bearings as well?
Not sure on the bolts but I read on one of the resellers in FL say the be bearings were designed to have clearance for 10w-60.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #425
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i

Bert and Ernie email addresses...at bebearings.com Love it!

Nice work on the bearings.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '21 X7 40i AW/Black, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #426
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Keenly interested in a long term, apples to apples test against stock bearings. Surprised everyone has already decided these are some sort of a "must have" without one single shred of evidence that they address a very rare problem...

It will be almost as interesting as the test results to see if these are offered for sale/delivery sans such test results.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #427
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Keenly interested in a long term, apples to apples test against stock bearings. Surprised everyone has already decided these are some sort of a "must have" without one single shred of evidence that they address a very rare problem...

It will be almost as interesting as the test results to see if these are offered for sale/delivery sans such test results.
wondering the same thing

GINTANI TWIN TURBO E92/F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #428
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

While I agree with you to an extent, I'd also assume that getting a test car and putting enough long term mileage/use is going to be somewhat impractical. Unless they were going to wait a few years and/or find a car that sees heavy track usage over a period of time and to pull the bearings at a later point to inspect them. Either way, I don't know if that would tell us a whole lot anyway.

That being said it think that's why so much information has been shared in relation to the clearances, etc in this thread and on the BE Bearings site. It's probably the most practical way to "scientifically" show it.

Again, I'm kinda with you on not being sold on it so I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Just looking at it logically. Maybe I'm wrong.
      10-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #429
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:

I absolutely agree. That's placing an awful lot of trust in some pretty anonymous (to me at least) people.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #430
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
The Bebearings website has a non-operational link that looks like it will describe the solution they've come up with. I am looking forward to seeing that link become active. I haven't followed all the posts regarding this topic on the forum, so I'd just like to see the info coalesced into one place. Their links that describe the problem and show previous stopgap fixes have pretty good info, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they show in that link.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #431
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E60 M5, F90 M5CS, M4 C

How many of you asking these questions of BEBearings also thought to ask the same questions to VAC when they came up with their custom bearings? If anybody has, I haven't seen it. Why do they get a free pass without any scrutiny?

Seems to me the bebearings.com guys have done a lot more, and have so many more credentials than anything I've seen coming from VACon custom bearings. Just sayin...
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #432
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

We are still going through , fitting, measuring among multiple scenarios of rods and crank sizes to make sure all the shells that are sent out are going to be a drop in install. There is only one shot to get this right so please be patient and we will have more updates as they roll out.
      10-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #433
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post
How many of you asking these questions of BEBearings also thought to ask the same questions to VAC when they came up with their custom bearings? If anybody has, I haven't seen it. Why do they get a free pass without any scrutiny?

Seems to me the bebearings.com guys have done a lot more, and have so many more credentials than anything I've seen coming from VACon custom bearings. Just sayin...
If you are referring to me, I spoke at length to vac about their bearings. Asked a lot of questions here too. Not going to debate the credentials... I have no idea who or what bebearings is. Vac has been in the same location, working on and racing bmw's, for 25 years. Also, Mrf has been installing their bearing kits for a good while without issue.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 10-19-2015 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #434
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post

I engaged in considerable discussion exactly on this point. I tried to discuss and engage both with the folks offering the bearings, those promoting coating/treatment A or coating/treatment B and even with some of the end users. As you described, there was a complete lack of any real data/evidence provided. That never seems to stop people from purchasing...

However, I also question your categorization of the credentials of the folks involved in bebearings. They have shared little to nothing for credentials or simply won't share the information.

1. It appears the formal involvement is:
a. Pencilgeek - he admits no formal engine building experience.
b. Kawasaki00 - who won't share anything about his actual credentials other than that the company he works at build the best NASCAR engines ever in existence. He has also claimed and engineering degree, but will not provide any additional detail. It is 100% clear to me from discussions that he does not have an engineering degree.
c. Perhaps formal involvement from BMRLVR, perhaps not - a reasonably knowledgeable heavy diesel mechanic/technician.
2. Seems clear to me that not one of these folks have any formal engineering background.
3. Apparently a "famous M engine designer" or something similar is their consultant, but said person remains anonymous and credential-less.

I won't go so far as to say that such formal engineering is an absolute firm requirement for a successful design. Luckily, one can almost guess here with the wealth of prior art/science/rules of thumb in the field. That being said, I can also guarantee that all major automotive OEMs who also design engines will have infinitely more engineering, test and simulation capability than this team/company for the proper design of such mission critical components right at the very heart of an engine.

Last edited by swamp2; 10-20-2015 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #435
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
While I agree with you to an extent, I'd also assume that getting a test car and putting enough long term mileage/use is going to be somewhat impractical. Unless they were going to wait a few years and/or find a car that sees heavy track usage over a period of time and to pull the bearings at a later point to inspect them. Either way, I don't know if that would tell us a whole lot anyway.

That being said it think that's why so much information has been shared in relation to the clearances, etc in this thread and on the BE Bearings site. It's probably the most practical way to "scientifically" show it.

Again, I'm kinda with you on not being sold on it so I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Just looking at it logically. Maybe I'm wrong.
We must have a different definition of "scientific"...

There are promises of considerable reasonably scientific data forthcoming, so that is a wonderful step forward. It won't exactly be statistical but appears it will at least be apples to apples. However, the wealth of information shared thus far is also in many ways information overload, anecdotal, data without synthesis/analysis, raw dimensional numbers, rules of thumb, etc.

It will take quite some time, so although it probably doesn't sound like it, I am trying to give the team the benefit of the doubt and ample time to do what they claim they are/will be doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #436
slowandfurious
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

There are promises of considerable reasonably scientific data forthcoming, so that is a wonderful step forward. It won't exactly be statistical but appears it will at least be apples to apples. However, the wealth of information shared thus far is also in many ways information overload, anecdotal, data without synthesis/analysis, raw dimensional numbers, rules of thumb, etc.

It will take quite some time, so although it probably doesn't sound like it, I am trying to give the team the benefit of the doubt and ample time to do what they claim they are/will be doing.
Go ask bmw for "scientific" analysis of why they made engines that self destruct.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 12:27 AM   #437
American Dave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #438
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post

Although your statement is valid regarding the information and no formal testing procedure, I still wonder why you won't recognize the 0.001" per inch of journal diameter clearance rule that many manufacturers, engine builders and engineers have recommended/used for years? I also wonder why you feel the S65 is different and shouldn't use this number? Finally I wonder why you feel there is no issue with the S65 when the pictures/posts of bearings and failures are right here?

All is trying to be done with these bearings is bring the S65 into the same spec as what the majority of engines are assembled to and go from there. There is no experimental, or outlandish things being suggested here, on the contrary, the S65 will conform with best practices of the industry after these bearings are installed.
      10-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #439
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
I engaged in considerable discussion exactly on this point. I tried to discuss and engage both with the folks offering the bearings, those promoting coating/treatment A or coating/treatment B and even with some of the end users. As you described, there was a complete lack of any real data/evidence provided. That never seems to stop people from purchasing...

However, I also question your categorization of the credentials of the folks involved in bebearings. They have shared little to nothing for credentials or simply won't share the information.

1. It appears the formal involvement is:
a. Pencilgeek - he admits no formal engine building experience.
b. Kawasaki00 - who won't share anything about his actual credentials other than that the company he works at build the best NASCAR engines ever in existence. He has also claimed and engineering degree, but will not provide any additional detail. It is 100% clear to me from discussions that he does not have an engineering degree.
c. Perhaps formal involvement from BMRLVR, perhaps not - a reasonably knowledgeable heavy diesel mechanic/technician.
2. Seems clear to me that not one of these folks have any formal engineering background.
3. Apparently a "famous M engine designer" or something similar is their consultant, but said person remains anonymous and credential-less.

I won't go so far as to say that such formal engineering is an absolute firm requirement for a successful design. Luckily, one can almost guess here with the wealth of prior art/science/rules of thumb in the field. That being said, I can also guarantee that all major automotive OEMs who also design engines will have infinitely more engineering, test and simulation capability than this team/company for the proper design of such mission critical components right at the very heart of an engine.
If you dont like them.....dont buy them. Simple
But whatever. I dont see you doing anything but sitting behind a computer. At least there are a few guys here that actually try to make a difference.
This is how much money I am making on this deal ...$0.00, everything that has been contributed to this point has been for the good of not only my car but to help others as well. Actually I am in the negative because we have been shipping parts back and forth across the country with my own money. If you are not interested in the results of the bearings move away from this thread and make your 100% assumptions somewhere else

Last edited by kawasaki00; 10-21-2015 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #440
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quick question before I pick up my set: there was talk of a g/b. Is that still going to happen or no?
Appreciate 0